Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / RIP Davy Jones?
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 11:58 am

Guess this will be corraborated soon, if true:

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkees/
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Yep. True. Guess I'll watch "Head" tonight.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:22 pm

RIP, Davy. I guess this means that David Bowie can finally go back to using his own name.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

man
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm

R.I.P.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

he finally caught that last train to Clarksville....
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm

RIP

He was the cutest Monkee.

I also heard he did Marcia Brady in the dog.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 2:23 pm

i was just going to keep thinking about him twirling a cane singing "cuddly toy" today, but i guess doin' Marcia Brady is a fine image, too.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm

she could use a bit more ass, but yeah.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

RIP
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 3:43 pm

When I say say he was my 4th favorite Monkee ... i mean no disrespect. For some reason I thought he'd be the last one to go.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 3:44 pm

On the bright side, we only have to remember his death once every four years.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 5:05 pm

This Monkee's gone to heaven
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 5:14 pm

RIP to my favorite Monkee and luckiest horse jockey ever.

According to a biographical website I just read, Nickelodeon voted him "cutest guy" in 1986 and 1987. What the shit? He had to be in his 40's! Lean years for the lookers, I guess.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 6:36 pm | Edited by: nickg

it was between him and feargal sharkey for "cutest."
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 7:01 pm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zHVKndMZIwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Posted: Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

On the bright side, we only have to remember his death once every four years.

This Monkee's gone to heaven

Y'all can share the remark of the day award.

I was a HUGE Monkees fan as a kid, though Mike was always my favorite (typical weirdo intellectual kid...)

RIP Davy. Guess I'll play that orange Monkees' Greatest Hits LP tonight.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Not my favorite Monkee, but this is still a bummer. I was a HUGE Monkees fan as a kid, though Mike was always my favorite (typical weirdo intellectual kid...)
Mike's country rock lps are pretty good
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 10:48 pm

He's now a Star Collector. RIP Davy!
Posted: Mar 1, 2012 4:40 pm

I also heard he did Marcia Brady in the dog.
Fun fact about the Brady Bunch episode... They made Davy wear platform shoes and stand on a box during most scenes because most of the girls were taller than him.

RIP my least favorite Monkee.
Posted: Mar 1, 2012 5:03 pm

Down to the locker he goes. Excuse me. RIP
Posted: Mar 1, 2012 9:29 pm

at least he can get kentucky fried chicken there.
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 8:55 am

Mike Nesmith is my favorite one. He gets a bum rap for being the serious one that wanted to be taken seriously as an artist (actually it was Tork!)...but come on, he was a Monkee, how serious can a Monkee be?

He was my Mom's favorite also.
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 8:58 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Marsha had the whole under age thing going for her, but I'd take Mrs. Brady and make her feel under age. To bad for Davy she was taller than him.
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 12:27 pm | Edited by: sixelsix

Mike Nesmith is my favorite one. He gets a bum rap for being the serious one that wanted to be taken seriously as an artist (actually it was Tork!)...but come on, he was a Monkee, how serious can a Monkee be?

Both wanted the credibility that a "serious" artist would theoretically get, really.
The First National Band stuff is great. And if you're in the right mood, the acoustic gtr + Red Rhodes pedal steel album (And The Hits Just Keep On Comin' - nice dig at Bill Drake there) is a real nice listen.
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 1:25 pm

C'mon. If Mike hadn't been a Monkee, do you really think he would have been able to release those "pretty good" country LPs?

Peter Tork, on the other hand, showed real talent with "Auntie Grizelda".
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 1:44 pm

auntie grizelda rules!
Posted: Mar 3, 2012 10:54 am

[url=http://youtu.be/RgNxuNaYHsk][/url]
Posted: Mar 3, 2012 10:58 am

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RgNxuNaYHsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted: Mar 3, 2012 11:06 am

fuck the internet
[youtube]RgNxuNaYHsk[/youtube]
Posted: Mar 3, 2012 11:06 am

"The Hits Just Keep Comin" is a great album and my favorite post monkees LP. This album contains a cool version of "different drum" which he wrote but was first performed by The Stone Poneys, who had a massive hit with it. It can still be heard with regularity today on oldies stations. So... yeah he had the talent, Monkee or not.
Posted: Mar 3, 2012 11:19 am

Talent!!!

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 1:23 pm

Good shit...

His early singles on Colpix as Michael Blessing are killer! No videos.
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 9:02 am

I'm not even talking about his music, he had the most balanced and low key personality on the show. I like people who are consitent and reliable.

As far as whether or not he could have gotten away with those country albums if he hadn't been on The Monkees...Well could Ricky Nelson have gotten away with making a rocknroll album if he wasn't on T.V.? I consider Nelson and Gram Parsons basically equal parts instigators of the so cal country sound...with The Eagles combining the worst aspects of the two...but Mike Nesmith was a huge positive figure in that sound also. It doesn't realy matter if they were rich kids or T.V. celebrities.
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 9:08 am

This thread reminds me I need to get all this Mike Nesmith solo stuff for my parents...
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 12:24 pm

he wasn't recruited for the Monkees because of his musical talent, his looks fit the bill and he could act. Now Mickey Dolenz, on the other hand....
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 1:07 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Uh yeah I can see it now: "We need a guy who can make this blue toboggan look cool. Hey you over there, donut guy, have you ever wanted to be in pictures?!"
Posted: Mar 5, 2012 1:10 pm

Dolenz was a craprophiliac, always with that shit eating grin.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®