Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Song Rights?
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 8:43 am

Anyone know how to get the rights to cover a song on a recording?
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 8:57 am

You just do it. If your version makes any money BMI/ASCAP collect a percentage to pay the publishing fees to the OG artist.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 9:24 am

What/Who the fuck is this?

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

And didn't he star opposite Nina Hartley somewhere along the line?
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Uh thats a music publishing company....I think you can sign a contract with them and they can license your music out and promote it and get every one paid or something....This friend of mine has started a publishing company, he told me all about it, but I don't listen good.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Harry Fox does that collecting Scott was talking about. They are legit.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Harry Fox does that collecting Scott was talking about. They are legit.

Sweet. That makes it simple.

Thanks.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 1:04 pm

You gotta pay 9.1 cents per song per record.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 2:21 pm

what are you covering?
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 2:24 pm | Edited by: Cole

ANDY B! Lawyering it up! Never met Andy....when I do, I really hope he's like Saul from Breaking Bad...that would make me so happy.
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 9:02 pm

what are you covering?

it's on here...

https://www.reverbnation.com/thepityfucks
Posted: Mar 1, 2012 11:26 am

ANDY B! Lawyering it up! Never met Andy....when I do, I really hope he's like Saul from Breaking Bad...that would make me so happy.

In more ways than you would think...
Posted: Mar 2, 2012 11:47 am

That's the place!
When ICU covered Syd Barrets "see Emily play", we contacted the Harry fox but they could not quote a price for that song for some reason. We were instructed to email the song to Syd Barrets relatives who run his "trust" or whatever for approval. They loved it and said for $35.00 we could make 500 7inch records with our version on it. Came out great! white vinyl sounds the best.
Posted: Mar 6, 2012 7:36 pm

Posted: Mar 6, 2012 11:04 pm

Fantastic. My younger brother represented an insurance company for an 18 wheeler that was hit by a motorcycle. Lawsuit bingo!
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 2:44 pm

he totally isn't wearing pants under that table. scrogers told me so.
Posted: Mar 7, 2012 3:07 pm

atta boy.
Posted: Mar 8, 2012 8:33 am

I've never seen him wear pants before. Why would he put 'em on for that commercial?
Posted: Mar 8, 2012 5:03 pm

I actually hate wearing pants.
Posted: Feb 14, 2013 1:30 pm

And to follow up, has anyone had to get licencing directly from the publisher when HarryFox does not have the rights to license said song?
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am

If you are making a small run, just go for it (sez the guy who is not a lawyer and is by no means offering legal advice).
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Paying for rights and royalties is not very punk, Joe
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I'd say contact whatever label or band that put out the original. They are sure to know who to pay. However, beware. I have a friend who is in a band that does reinterpretations of TV theme songs (http://staytunedtheband.com/), and he has told me tales of some of the right holders asking for way more than the standard 9.1 cents. They had a great version of the "Family Ties" theme mixed with "Thunderstruck", that they had to scrap after AC/DC asked for a mint. I believe they also had to wait until Sherwood Schwartz died, before they could finally get an affordable deal that would allow them to release their version of "Gilligan's Island" mixed with Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 7:58 pm

I'd say contact whatever label or band that put out the original. They are sure to know who to pay. However, beware. I have a friend who is in a band that does reinterpretations of TV theme songs (http://staytunedtheband.com/), and he has told me tales of some of the right holders asking for way more than the standard 9.1 cents. They had a great version of the "Family Ties" theme mixed with "Thunderstruck", that they had to scrap after AC/DC asked for a mint. I believe they also had to wait until Sherwood Schwartz died, before they could finally get an affordable deal that would allow them to release their version of "Gilligan's Island" mixed with Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".

If you're doing a straight cover, its 9.1 cents. Your friend seems to be mashing up two songs and that changes things a bit. The 9.1 cents is set by Congress.
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Found the solution through ascap... Juan, its pretty cheap (30 bux) and considering the artist in question was ripped off for decades... seems to be the only way to move ahead. I'm such a nice and sensitive guy.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®