Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Angola Rodeo / Baton Rouge
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 1:00 am

Heading to NOLA in April and going to the Angola Rodeo. Gonna stay in Baton Rouge that night I think and fly home from there. Any recommendations in BR for hotels or anything else? Would it be worth visiting/staying closer to anything closer to Angola.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 8:46 am

Each time I go to Baton Rouge I feel like there's got to be stuff happening in the area, but I'm usually busy with other work and haven't had the time to find it. There are a fair number of clubs on Plank Road with promising names like Romeo's Old School Bar & Lounge, but word was: "you don't want to go to any of those places."

There's a little record store tucked away near the old Broadmoor Theatre on Florida Blvd. It's open late afternoon / early evening (not quite sure which days), and the guy who runs it is quite knowledgeable about what's going on around town. When I was there in December, he told me that Henry Gray (pianist for Howlin' Wolf, among others) still plays the occasional gig at the Piccadilly restaurant:

http://www.225batonrouge.com/news/2010/may/01/grays-anatomy/

Slim Harpo's grave is nearby, in Port Allen:

http://www.roadfan.com/harpo.html

I've stayed in Zachary (a bit north of BR) most of the times I've been down that way. Finally become enough of a geezer that I'd rather not stay at the skeevy spots, which will still run ~$50. Last time I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which was ~$90/night and probably fancier than I need/deserve.

A book on the region is going to be published in March, and may be worth a look:

http://lsupress.org/books/detail/louisiana-saturday-night/
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 10:47 am

How long you gonna be down in NOLA, Petey? I'm arriving on the 27th?
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 1:17 pm

St. Francisville is the closest town to Angola, it's one of those cutesy bed & breakfast towns with some little cafes and antique stores and such. There are also a number of plantations in the area that have little guest houses, cabins, etc.

I would do that if it appeals to you, but Baton Rouge is only an extra 30-40 miles and you won't be drunk or too tired to drive, because you can't drink at the rodeo and it ends at like 4:00.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey plax. It's that day that falls on your anniversary. It's a big one this year. Think I am gonna make this trip, as well. I will call you this weekend.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 9:19 pm

I was just telling someone about the Angola (and the documentary on it) yesterday...first I'd thought of it in quite a while. That's my idea of a grand ol' time. Nice work, Petey...I am jelly and you are killer because you are so rad...
Posted: Feb 6, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey plax. It's that day that falls on your anniversary. It's a big one this year. Think I am gonna make this trip, as well. I will call you this weekend.

Nevermind. I'm going in March, not April. Maybe the whole "March Madness" thing should have clued me in?
Posted: Feb 7, 2012 8:05 am

I'd be interested in checking out Angola Prison...wouldn't want to live there.
Posted: Feb 7, 2012 3:27 pm

I would do that if it appeals to you, but Baton Rouge is only an extra 30-40 miles and you won't be drunk or too tired to drive, because you can't drink at the rodeo and it ends at like 4:00.

And it's an additional 2 hours tacked onto your journey 'cause there's only one road in and out of there and it's PACKED when you're leaving.

Worth it, but it's not an easy jaunt from NOLA. Never did from Baton Rouge.
Posted: Feb 7, 2012 4:04 pm

The last couple of times I went there it seems like they greatly streamlined the exit process and parking situation. But I would advise against going on a rainy day because your car will be completely encased in mud by the time you get out of there.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®