Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Reigning Sound lyrics...AGAIN
Posted: Feb 1, 2012 6:41 pm | Edited by: nickg

i think there's been a few threads like this, but anyway, i'm lazy. there's one RS lyric that has always bothered me. one word, really. in "medication blues #1" off "home for orphans" there's a line that goes "so i walk back out on the street, and throw my *!?!?&* to the ground."

what is that mystery word? shoes, pronounced "shows?" is it "shoulds" like short for shoulders? some word i've never heard before? anyway.

on a related note, years ago i started a thread about the compulsive gamblers' "capone's finest." greg seems to mutter something just as the song is ringing out, i always thought it kinda sounded like "menudo." i think ed even commented in the thread, saying he had no idea what he was saying. well, i think i figured it out a while back. i'm pretty sure he's saying "i'm gonna do it over." which i like a lot more than "menudo."
Posted: Feb 1, 2012 9:40 pm

I've always thought the word was "shadows"
Posted: Feb 1, 2012 9:56 pm

ahh! you may be on to something.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 7:37 am

"so i walk back out on the street, and throw my menudo to the ground."
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 8:23 am

I think he says "Sergio". An obvious reference to Sergio Blass who was a member of Menudo from 1986-1990.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 9:56 am

did blass wear valente?
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 11:51 am

last night i dreamt some woman, probably inspired by Windy, told me the real lyric, and it was a word i'd never heard before. i wish i could think of it now. it was a stressful dream, too, she was making fun of me!
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 1:22 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Ahh...very interesting...a succubus. Driving you mad with lust by means of her superior intellect and more extensive knowledge of Reigning Sound lyrics. Very Freudian...this is my professional analysis, I am a licensed scientist.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 7:24 pm

ast night i dreamt some woman, probably inspired by Windy, told me the real lyric, and it was a word i'd never heard before. i wish i could think of it now. it was a stressful dream, too, she was making fun of me!

I would never make fun of you. It couldn't have been me.
Posted: Feb 2, 2012 7:27 pm

and FWIW, I've always thought that was a brilliant lyric/vivid image - walking outside and throwing your shadow to the ground.

Now we really need GregO to chime in, because it's gonna bug me until I find out the real word.
Posted: Feb 3, 2012 7:24 am

Now we really need GregO to chime in, because it's gonna bug me until I find out the real word.

Think it's already upthread.
Posted: Feb 3, 2012 7:34 am

The word is shadow. Came up with one of my favorite lines to date the other day.
Listen girl I got a story for you
about a long ago rainy day
Lord said bring'em in two by two
and the rest I'm gonna slay
Posted: Feb 4, 2012 7:36 pm

Ahhh...thanks GregO.

Yep, another good one. I couldn't write a song to save my life.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®