Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Groovey Hate Fuck...Pussy Galore, Last Friday
Posted: Dec 26, 2011 8:16 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Pussy Galore reuniting. I for one was stoked. Here's a link, there is more from the show
Enjoy!
Posted: Dec 26, 2011 10:10 am

During Hanukkah no less!
Posted: Dec 26, 2011 5:45 pm

watching with the sound off but I think I found the start of SPIN OUT!
Posted: Dec 26, 2011 7:13 pm

this was spencer's reaction to the recent termbo thread in his honor.
Posted: Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm

pussy gold 5000
Posted: Dec 27, 2011 11:34 am

Good things about Pussy Galore reunion:

1. Pussy Galore reunited

Bad things about Pussy Galore reunion:

1. It was as the OPENING ACT at a goddamn YO LA TENGO show.
2. No Neil
3. They don't really sound that great
Posted: Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm

I have it on pretty good authority, though not confirmed, that Neil is a d-bag.
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 10:26 am

http://www.yolatengo.com/news/yo-la-tengo-2011-hanukkah-diary/

WFMU's Tom Scharpling was there:

I listened to RIGHT NOW! and SUGARSHIT SHARP all day yesterday in preparation for the show. There was a part of me that was worried whether they wouldn't be able to pick up where they left off. Time moves on, people change, they get better at their instruments, they lose a little bit of the rawness and anger that made those records just explode.

But Pussy Galore did not disappoint AT ALL. They hit the stage and did not let up for a second. The band - Jon Spencer, Julie Cafritz, Kurt Wolf and Bob Bert - kicked it off with "You Look Like a Jew" from GROOVY HATE FUCK and powered through fifteen or so songs in about a half hour. Spencer laid off the mic between songs but the smile that overtook his face throughout the show spoke volumes.

They were so forceful and unrepentant. They did the legacy proud and I hope they aren't ready to go away just yet - the kids of today need a band like Pussy Galore to teach them that it is okay to hate things and to yell about them but you can do it with humor and artistry. One of the greatest bands of the 80s just saw their legend grow a little bit tonight.
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 10:58 am

the kids of today need a band like Pussy Galore to teach them that it is okay to hate things and to yell about them but you can do it with humor and artistry.

enter TSOT and PAINT FUMES...
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 3:08 pm

I have it on pretty good authority, though not confirmed, that Neil is a d-bag.

So was it you that Sharpling was complaining about, on your phone - looking up Neil's wikipedia page, during the Pussy Galore set. Is that your "pretty good authority."
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

i've always gotten along with him just fine, though that's royal trux days, rather then pussy galore days
Posted: Dec 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Wish I could have been there. It looks like it was a fun show. My xmas week kicked off with one of the shows on the Scratch Acid reunion tour. Definitely worth the 25 year wait. So, I don't feel too bad.
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 10:18 am

I saw the Chapel Hill Scratch Acid show, fucking awesome!
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 10:34 am

nyctaper:

In one of the most unlikely reunions in recent memory, Pussy Galore opened the 4th night of Hanukkah at Maxwell's. This was the classic lineup, with Julie Cafritz joining Jon Spencer out front on guitar and vocals. Indeed, even Bob Bert's classic gas-tank snare drum made a return appearance. The set was relatively brief at twenty-nine minutes, but contained a full menu of fourteen of the band's vintage material, of which we are streaming "Sweet Little HiFi". But really, we could have streamed any of the songs all played with a ton of energy and purpose.

I recorded this set in the same manner as the YLT set from the same night and the sound quality is superb. Enjoy!

Thanks to Bob and Julie for permission to post this recording.

http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=8500
Posted: Dec 29, 2011 11:23 pm

I can't get used to clearly hearing the lyrics, but PG still sounded like tons of fun live. Thanks for posting the reunion show of one of my all-time favorite bands.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 1:21 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Pussy Galore reuniting

People on here didn't seem all that excited about the Chrome Cranks reunion or The Gibson Bros reunion either.

Everyone's getting older, raising teenagers or something. At least that's how it seems to me, where are the older kids I looked up to?

This footage rules.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®