Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / anyone understand midi devices?
Posted: Dec 23, 2011 9:04 pm

i can't keep sinking $$$ into vintage hunks of shit that promise the world and fail at the most inopportune times. if you do understand this stuff, i have a question regarding this device...

http://www.farfisamusic.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&i d=99&Itemid=75&lang=en
Posted: Dec 23, 2011 10:28 pm

I'd get it for the riverb alone!
Posted: Dec 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Are you going to try and play live with it or just fuck around on your computer?
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 12:30 am

i'm wondering if it's practical for playing live (without the computer). i know it can be hooked up that way but i don't know how much choice you can have as far as settings in that set-up. i also don't know how well my old keys will work with it. are there those kinds of compatibility issues with midi stuff?
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 4:25 am

what the fuck is that thing? wanna buy my vintage farfisa? i have a compact deluxe, $400 plus shipping.
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 4:28 am

Posted: Dec 24, 2011 10:12 am

what the fuck is that thing? wanna buy my vintage farfisa? i have a compact deluxe, $400 plus shipping.

I could buy a house with all the money I've put into old keys. All those 60's/70's things seem to be reaching their pull date. And the couple decent repair guys in my town are refusing to even work on them.
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 11:40 am

Most non-vintage key players use MIDI devices like that. It really pretty simple, you just need a MIDI controller keyboard (they can be really cheap or more expensive depending on how "real" or responsive you need the keyboard to feel). You play the controller and whatever MIDI files you use will be the sound. You can play any instrument sound that you program. Not the same as the "real deal" but, MIDI allows you to use one controller to play millions of sounds, versus carrying a keyboard rig like Leon Russell.
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 11:49 am

That thing looks about as simple as you can get. What is it you don't understand?

I'm sure you'd have to do all your editing on a computer ahead of time since it has that usb input and no controls. If you just want to set it to sound like a farfisa and leave it, you probably wouldn't need to do anything except make sure you have the same midi channel set on that thing and your keyboard. If you want to change sounds song to song or use the drawbar functionality you'd be best with a midi controller, instead of some old synth with midi out. The midi implementation on an old synth might not be great depending on how old it is (it kind of developed and got better as time went on). You might be disappointed if what I imagine you're trying to control it with is true. It says it has 128 sounds but if your synth only has 64 patches, that's all that you can access (typically if you hit patch #16 on your synth it will send a control message to change the channel to #16 on the sound module, but if it's really old it might not even do that well). And I would forget about trying to make any real time changes without a midi controller. Fortunately midi controllers can be had for cheap as shit.
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 12:02 pm

I've got a late 90's Hammond thing with a midi out. I'm assuming that will work. I just want to find one sound that works and leave it at that, no multiple sounds, no real time changes...$200 sounds like an easy out rather than the piles of cash i've thrown at farfisa's, wurlitzers and yamaha's over the past few years...
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 12:06 pm

If it's late 90s, I wouldn't expect you'd have much trouble with what you want to do.
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 12:31 pm

wow. that thing is no frills. Not a single knob or button on the thing. What nicks name says is true, but if your late 90's Hammond thing is huge/heavy and you don't mind looking like a cheeseball, why not just get a cheap casio (like $20-50) with midi-out to control it?
Posted: Dec 24, 2011 1:08 pm

why not just get a cheap casio (like $20-50) with midi-out to control it?

i like the action and playability on my hammond.

thanks all for the input.
Posted: Dec 25, 2011 12:26 am

fair enough. rock that thing
Posted: Dec 25, 2011 6:54 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

The Farfisa button on Casio keyboards is intimidating enough for me. I always assumed it was a wind instrument akin to bag pipes or the french horn.
Posted: Dec 30, 2011 4:43 pm

MIDI. Compressed, sounds like your singing thru two tin cans connected with fishing line.
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 1:13 pm

MIDI. Compressed, sounds like your singing thru two tin cans connected with fishing line.

That's pretty cool right?
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 5:19 pm

so, in theory your MIDI controller could be a tin can with fishing line?
Posted: Jan 3, 2012 6:21 pm

MIDI doesn't sound like anything.
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 2:33 pm

Italians should only make shoes.
Posted: Jan 9, 2012 7:26 pm

So, does it work? I've used an old dx-7 to control similar modules live, and never had any trouble.
Posted: Jan 10, 2012 9:26 am

You know what would make a great app? If you could run any mp3 file into a filter or something that would turn it into midi or crappy elevator music....I could actually use that.
Posted: Jan 10, 2012 11:12 am

So, does it work? I've used an old dx-7 to control similar modules live, and never had any trouble.

Isn't available in the US yet, so I'm just spinning my wheels, staring at hulks of non-functioning combo organs...
Posted: Jan 10, 2012 8:49 pm

If you could run any mp3 file into a filter or something that would turn it into midi or crappy elevator music....I could actually use that.

reaktor can do this. it sounds weird and awesome
Posted: Jan 11, 2012 8:11 am

Tell him to copyright it or something...there's gold in them apps!
Posted: Jan 12, 2012 9:33 am

reaktor's a software package. It's pretty much the most killer DIY virtual synth out there.
www.native-instruments.com
Posted: Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh, I thought reaktor was somebodies cool punk rock name.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®