Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / John Toubin - dang!
Posted: Dec 8, 2011 9:37 pm

Posted: Dec 8, 2011 10:36 pm

Karma hates the Jupiter....who the fuck stays a month in that douche-hole?
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 12:09 am

all i know is that it did indeed happen to him, and i hope he makes a speedy recovery. the dude is on the right team. if there's one thing about him that bums me out it's that he a grip of records i want and will probably never get. he's living to get more.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 12:11 am

The outpouring of Facebook love for him comes from every direction imaginable -more like 1 degree of separation. He's an amazing guy, I hope he recovers fully.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 3:43 am

Yeah the Jupiter was built over a indian burial ground, right? The only local cabbies worth the ride are the eastern europeans.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 9:43 am

matt. dude. does it matter where he was staying? come on.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 10:13 am

ok...got me there..didn't even recognize that was your pal till this morning. My opinion of the place, tho immaterial, stands..
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 11:21 am

matt, then we'll call it even. couple of benefits in new york tonight. chicago is in the works for the coming weeks.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 11:33 am

Is anyone organizing a Memphis benefit?
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 11:43 am

yep, you are.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 11:49 am

as posted by his booking agent, if anyone is interested in doing a benefit donating to his recovery: "direct your emails/ideas/requests to rockfortoubin@gmail.com We'll be organizing benefits via that email account. Thanks for your support. Paypal donations go to ihearttoubin@gmail.com Thanks."
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 12:23 pm

Katherine and I would be willing to do a lot of work but need help from some others.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 12:48 pm

Damn. Haven't seen the guy since the mid-90s days of Cheezus and KTSB, always loved him. Just a super-fun guy to be around. Am really looking forward to checking out one of his parties. Speedy recovery, brother Jonathan...

Hopefully something will happen in the Bay Area. I'd do it myself but I don't have the connections.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 12:52 pm

At first I thought this was in NY, but then found it was at the pdx-Doug fir.
Not alot of room to accelerate sideways in that driveway plus she had to drive thru the smoking patio. Insane
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 1:28 pm

PAYPAL'D
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 5:04 pm

This in from Gabe at East End in Portland:

We're planning a benefit for our dear, wonderful friend Jonathan Toubin next Friday (12/16/11).
If anyone wants to donate their energy or perform or anything else, please contact Gabe at eastend.garagelandbooking@gmail.com. Come show Jonathan Portland loves him.

There might be other events in other locations, but this is the first one in Portland announced.
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 6:05 pm

Shit, I really gotta apologize for my earlier comment...i made a very cursory scan of the article and really didn't pick up the severety of the injuries...i'm an ass and i hope he pulls through ok...
Posted: Dec 9, 2011 7:10 pm

This story is so awful. I hope he recovers.

Not alot of room to accelerate sideways in that driveway plus she had to drive thru the smoking patio. Insane

Judging from the picture, the room is the one at the end of the driveway, so plenty of room to accelerate.

http://g.co/maps/zf4d2
Posted: Dec 10, 2011 12:44 am

I couldn't stop thinking about this all day...so horribly sad and unbelievably random. I want more explanation from that cab driver...so she is diabetic, okaaaaayyy...but how quickly can blood sugar get away from you? And how would that condition cause somebody to suddenly stomp on the gas pedal? I don't know much about how the disease works, I guess, but I thought it was manageable with food and insulin...and if not, why would you drive for a living in the first place? I'm not doubting it necessarily, as an explanation, because it obviously wasn't intentional...but to let her off the hook for something this terrible...I gotta get my head around WHAT THE FUCK happened.
I'm just so glad (it sounds as though) his injuries are treatable.
Posted: Dec 10, 2011 12:52 am

law suits coming, i'm sure, taxi co, and hotel
Posted: Dec 10, 2011 12:37 pm

I couldn't stop thinking about this all day...so horribly sad and unbelievably random. I want more explanation from that cab driver...so she is diabetic, okaaaaayyy...but how quickly can blood sugar get away from you?

i'm diabetic - it can happen for sure. usually, there are signs that will tip you off, like if your body heat goes up unusually and you start sweating (it's been so cold though, if she had the heat cranked in the car she might not have noticed), or you start to lose focus on stuff, like when you're reading or doing something that requires focussed attention. essentially, you're not getting enough glucose to your brain - so it can make you loopy, for sure - and if it drops drastically enough, can make you pretty crazy. i've had it drop a number of times where it put me in a state where i was acting totally fucking insane until the sugar i'd have to eat kicked in. it can be super fucking scary. there are often cases where people will be in this state and get picked up by cops who just think they're trashed or drugged up, rather than getting them the medical attention they need. i'm not defending this cab driver - she obviously should have been monitoring it better, especially in a line of work where peoples' lives are at risk - but i do get how it could have happened, i guess.

i really hope that he makes a full recovery - a friend of a friend is his next of kin in the area(?) until a closer family member can get here, and apparently it sounds like he's gonna pull through. not my business to go into the specifics here of what i heard, but it sounds hopeful. never met him, but he sounds like such a good dood. if nothing else, it sounds like he's a real possitive guy with an amazing amount of really loving people in his life, and that stuff is really going to help his recovery - you can't really hope for more if something tragic like this happens...
Posted: Dec 11, 2011 11:47 am

Katherine and I would be willing to do a lot of work but need help from some others.

Sam- Though my time is limited with work and school, I've hung with Johnathon a few times, in passing, and would be willing to help.

Call me if you need me.
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 8:53 pm

never met him, but he sounds like such a good dood.

you know that annoying guy in the band that you wanted to ditch for a few hours on tour just to keep from strangling him? he isn't that guy.
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Am I right to assume that Mr. Toubin will own this cab company when it is all said and done? I don't think it would take the world's greatest lawyer to make this happen.
Posted: Dec 13, 2011 7:25 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

He'll probbably never be able to sleep in another hotel bed again.

I know a guy who was hit by a car, it took him a year to recover, he had to relearn to walk from being wheel chair bound for so long. When it happened the EMT workers said they had to scrape his balls off the sidewalk, because when your pelvis is smashed your balls fill up with blood or something. Anyway, he recovered and is living a normal life again, has had another child. Life seems to be going good for him. They even tracked down the guy who hit him, who had fled the scene after 6 months of searching...took some crazy forensics investigating.
Posted: Dec 13, 2011 11:55 am

This really sucks ... I hope he has a speedy recovery (& a juicy settlement).

When we went down to that PDX Garagefest a few years back ...

* stayed at at the Jupiter Hotel
* went to the East End & caught Jonathan's killer DJ set
* fest was put on by Scion (same make as the cab)

... weird.
Posted: Dec 13, 2011 1:58 pm

law suits coming, i'm sure, taxi co, and hotel

Since I sue insurance companies for a living, here's my opinion on the legal situation: The hotel shouldn't be liable for anything here. I just don't see how they have a duty to protect their customers from a freak accident like this. I don't know how the law is in Oregon, especially with taxi cabs. His lawyers could get creative though. If this kinda thing happened before and the hotel never took any steps to secure the hotel, he might have a shot. Best case scenario is that the cab company's insurance will cover Jonathan's injuries. Usually companies like that have $1 million policies. Worst case scenario is that the cabbie is an independent contractor who only carries the state minimum insurance. You can't get blood from a turnip. He's either entitled to millions or around $15,000. And that's his total recovery.

Of course the best case scenario is that he recovers 100%.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®