Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / reigning sound free download
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 12:33 pm

Posted: Nov 1, 2011 7:28 pm

Reigning Sound who is made up of garage, punk legend Greg Cartwright (vocals/guitars), Benny Trokan (bassist), Mike Catanese (guitar), Mikey Post (drums) and Dave Amels (keyboardist) formed in 2001, releasing music at a feverish pace. By 2004, the group was releasing its third LP with the help of fellow Memphis rock residents Jay Reatard and Alicja Trout. During that same time, they were invited to open for Swedish group The Hives during their nationwide tour. Since then, Reigning Sound has diligently put out album after album, with their latest LP, Love And Curses being released in 2009. Five tracks from this new EP was recorded and produced by Dan Auerbach.

da da dunt dunt dunt....another one (lineup) bites the dust!
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 8:41 pm

I assume this will NOT be available on vinyl?
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 8:47 pm

Benny Trokan (bassist), Mike Catanese (guitar), Mikey Post (drums) and Dave Amels
= the Jay Vons
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 9:03 pm

the Jay Vons

Thee Gregcoatees
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 9:41 pm

It will be on vinyl but not for another couple weeks. That one sheet is written very weirdly. Anyway, yeah, some new players. All of'em solid and very fun to play with. No bad blood with Dave or Lance, great guys and good friends. Just trying something new. three of these songs are actually with the old line up. Let's see if you can guess which!
Posted: Nov 1, 2011 10:50 pm

I just bought a car. did I click on the wrong link?
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 7:31 am

Tease if you wanna' but their deal is pretty artist friendly. They only want physical rights for three months. After that I can use these tracks to fill out a proper LP or whatever I wanna do with'em.. I was pretty skeptical at first about the whole thing but the fans get a free EP, I get a decent recording budget, and scion generates some online leads(they hope). Not too shabby.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 7:54 am

just being a prankster. i appreciate the new jams
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 8:21 am

No worries. Just sayin, nobody finds making records for car companies more unbelievable than me. Seems to work out ok though so let the que to bust my balls start here, I'm a big boy. Afterwards you can check out the songs. I'm pretty happy with'em.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 9:54 am

I thought it was an internet radio company. Scion is a type of car? Oh yeah, I looked at them at the Toyota dealership before I bought my Toyota....kewl.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 11:49 am

It's okay "Ed." You never had any credibility to lose. You should get Citibank to put out your next record.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 12:02 pm

"Watching My Baby Get Ready" is an all-time fave...great to see it revisited! The rest sounds fantastic too.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 1:02 pm

so all your instruments are made overseas too?
will you be only covering Japanese pop now?
Next!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey "dirk" scion is working on a limo so's you and Thurston can tool around town listening to GOO outtakes. Next!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:19 pm

Maybe you can get them to foot the bill for your comedy album. Oh wait, ALL of your albums are comedy albums.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:27 pm

I said "next" not "dirk, talk some more." It's a one shot deal. You don't want to come off like a spiteful old has been... wait a minute...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:38 pm

Some people know when to quit while they're ahead instead of "revisiting" their old material over and over. And working for car companies. Geez, what a hack you are. You were so lucky to have had Eric and Jack's coat tails to ride on all these years...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:43 pm

"Dirk" prefers the Tip-Tops version! Duly noted. Now seriously, say something kinda funny or take your own advice and stop while you're ahead, or behind or wherever you are. 1985 possibly?
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:48 pm

1985-you mean when I was nominated for a New York New Music Award for Best Song along with The Ramones, Run-DMC and Lou Reed? Too bad you were never nominated for anything except least talented Oblivian...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:57 pm

Better but still kinda lame. Keep trying though... at home... in a notebook. Next!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 3:58 pm

so in 1985 some critics thought the Ramones and Lou Reed were NEW YORK NEW MUSIC...and they thought Lou Reed (or the Ramones) had a BEST SONG in that year? And that's something that you carry around to whip out and polish in public cause you feel honored to be connected with it?

I'm gonna stop making fun of you cause you do a far better job of doing that yourself
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 4:11 pm

Zzzzz...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 4:28 pm

an offer of free music has turned into an explosion of bitterness. god bless you, goner board.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 4:32 pm

Zzzzz...

everybody already knows old people have to take lots of naps, Ned
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 5:05 pm

Fat people have no will power.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 5:16 pm

one thing is for certain - the mets suck & always will
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes, they have become the baseball equivalent of "Ed's" music. At least there's hope for The Mets...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 5:41 pm

Fat people have no class.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 6:00 pm

go attend to that baby, Ned

your wife will be pissed when she gets home and dinner isn't made and you were on the internet all day again
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 6:23 pm

"you're so fat" is a classic but not really flame war material. Come on man, go find another thread to hijack. I'm not interested.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 6:36 pm

I wasn't talking about you, "Ed." Glad to see you are still endorsing low blows about peoples' families though. Good luck with the whole sell-out thing. Later.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 6:37 pm

Was listening to this all day at work......love it. Appreciate the free music. I've seen you with the Oblivians...I've seen you DJ.....are you bringing the Reigning Sound back to Memphis any time soon?
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 6:47 pm

if anything the recordings sound "too good"

thanks for the free tunes!!!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 7:49 pm

FIRST impression (so not at all fully representative of my thoughts):

The recordings DO sound "too good" in a way. These songs nail that "classic 60s sound" better than any of the previous Reigning Sound recordings, but I always liked that Reigning Sound had a 60s influence on their own energetic sound. This kind of sounds more like a B-grade sixties garage comp. Not bad in any way, but doesn't excite me like most Reigning Sound stuff does.

Again, subject to change with more listens.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 8:27 pm

if anything the recordings sound "too good"

The recordings DO sound "too good" in a way. These songs nail that "classic 60s sound" better than any of the previous Reigning Sound recordings, but I always liked that Reigning Sound had a 60s influence on their own energetic sound.

This is well thought out, constructive, criticism folks. We need more of this. I probably won't give it....but still, it's cool.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 9:16 pm

I was hoping '85 was the year Mistrial and the Pet Semetary OST were released, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 9:42 pm

these are really good toons! the updated "watching my baby get ready" sounds great + listening to "shaw" in the context of the anecdote from the ghost-thread last week gave the song a neat spooky~romantic sound. i dig 'em.

and regarding scion fronting the dough for the recording, so what - last i checked this isn't the crass records board. i only hope also they threw in a car to get you guys back out to the NW sometime soon...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 9:45 pm

nobody has the right to tell a man how to earn a living.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 9:58 pm

nobody has the right to tell a man how to earn a living.

Damn, in my world you just ended that whole boring ass argument with that one simple sentence.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 10:24 pm

well, on to the next one...

who was (past tense) the least talented oblivian???

while i literally like all their songs and music, so no offense intended, my vote goes for eric, simply because he is the one who almost never played the drums. he was definitely the best bass player in a band with no bass player though...

as far as who was most talented, thats a tough one. i think gregs songs and voice in the oblivians had a broader appeal, but to me its a toss up. nobody mangles a guitar lead like jack. many of his songs are just riffs, but then theres shit like "what rock n roll is all about". that aint no riff.

in the context of classic oblivians only, i think greg wins "most talented oblivian" by a hair. no pun intended...
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 10:39 pm

See, I'm not so sure talent even matters. The thing I really love about The Oblivians is that it had to be those three guys, in that city, at that time to make that music. If anything was missing it wouldn't have been as great. I think all three wrote bad ass songs and each song wouldn't have been the same without the others. Fuck talent....ever tried to listen to a Joe Satriani album?
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 11:04 pm

well, on to the next one...

who was (past tense) the least talented oblivian???

i hope i'm falling for a dumb joke, but is that a serious point of discussion?

Fuck talent....ever tried to listen to a Joe Satriani album?

ha! well fucking said, cole!
Posted: Nov 2, 2011 11:22 pm

i'm not sure it matters either, i was digging up a diggler talking point from earlier in this thread. it takes as much talent for supercharger or the gories to do what they do as it does for satriani to write an album, in my opinion.
Posted: Nov 3, 2011 7:38 am

Loud and clear Nanne. Some of these need a remix and will get it before they get re released. Regarding the way some of them sound, very sixties. 5 of these were cut to Scully 1 inch 8 track. Drums are all on one channel. Overdubs are very limited. So, things sound kinda sparse on those but the tone of the bass kinda makes up for that to me. All legit criticisms though, and to be honest most have already crossed my mind. Re'release down the road will be less rushed and sound a bit different. All in all though I'm happy. Only two songs that really nag at me.
Posted: Nov 3, 2011 8:17 am | Edited by: greg O

Take that back. One nags at me. "not far away" needs more attention and an overhaul but until then it is what it is. (fake accent) it does need strings, that I do know!
Posted: Nov 3, 2011 9:41 am

Greg Gonn = Goobler

Ha ha (?) !
Posted: Nov 3, 2011 11:08 am

now we just need Haunted George back and all in the world will be right again
Posted: Nov 4, 2011 12:45 pm

didn't mean to kill the thread! just enjoying the greg/ned bickering.

still haven't been able to listen to these songs! i am looking forward to it!
Posted: Nov 4, 2011 4:00 pm

Hey Greg, did you guys do this at Akron Analog?

Some people know when to quit while they're ahead instead of "revisiting" their old material over and over.
And thank God "some people" know when to quit while they are not ahead.
Posted: Nov 4, 2011 7:33 pm

Was that Dan's old studio in Ohio? We did five of them at his new place in Nashville(Shaw, Everything I do is wrong, Call me #1, Not far away, and Eve). Two are from Ardent(Lying' girl, Can't hold on) and one at Echo Mountain here in Asheville(Watching my baby).
Posted: Nov 9, 2011 12:59 pm

Sounds great to me, maybe a little too polished, but clearly fits well with the vibe of the record. I wouldn't want Still Too Much Guitar or Time Bomb High School Reunion. Very happy to see Watching My Baby get revisited, always loved that track.

I'd love to see another stripped back album like the live at Circle A LP, but with the new RS boys playing too. Would make a cool extra EP or something on the next full length release.

I'm just happy the music is still worth listening to after all this time. Hope you can come to the UK some time
Posted: Nov 9, 2011 10:28 pm

Everything I Do Is Wrong, and Can't Hold On are pretty great
new Watching My Baby is tiptop
over all sounds pretty Zombieish, and I'm fine with that

thanks, BOB SEGER!!!!!!!
Posted: Nov 10, 2011 9:28 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Sounds great to me, maybe a little too polished, but clearly fits well with the vibe of the record. I wouldn't want Still Too Much Guitar or Time Bomb High School Reunion.

I like the production on here better than Time Bomb Highschool. I agree it could even be less polished. It took me a long time to get into Time Bomb Highschool because it sounded so slick to my ears, but I still listen to it on a regular basis.
Posted: Nov 10, 2011 8:06 pm

is there a bongo on Call me #1? hell yeah!

i am guessing that Not Far Away and Eve are ones recorded with the old (old) band? if there were stings on Not Far Away...fuuuuuuuuuck. who is singing back-ups on Not Far Away?

and yeah, thanks for the free download!
Posted: Nov 12, 2011 10:20 am

Thumbs up!
Posted: Dec 5, 2011 4:03 pm

hmmm
Posted: Dec 11, 2011 3:29 pm

"Eve" and "Not Far Away" are with the new line up. And yes, Patrick Keeler put some congas on "call me #1". We only had one free track for overdub so I think I played tambourine simultaneously. I'm really happy that you folks are liking some of this stuff. On the "polished" thing. What I'm about to say doesn't change anyone's personal taste regarding production sounds but I think what you're hearing is a lack of "polish". I think people get really used to hearing things that have been labored over with effects and EQ tweeks, pro-tools tampering and all that stuff. This is 8 tracks, recorded mostly live. Faders up. Reverb. In three days. that's about it. Some prefer a more blown out sounding recording which is generally mislabeled as "RAW". In fact, these types of recordings tend to be the ones that have been manipulated the most or "polished". But anyway, I knew what you guys meant, "clean". No argument there. It sounds very clean.
Posted: Dec 11, 2011 11:32 pm

yeah, by "too good" i probably meant "too clean"

cool stuff though and it sounds like scion offered a fair deal.
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 7:48 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I just like the meat and potatoes recorded live in studio w/ one or two tracks left to polish things up w/ whatever they may need. Since that flies in the face of all production values since the 70s I clash with musicians all the time over it. Funny thing is most of the amateur "musicians" I work with still haven't figured out that you're not supposed to record hot in digital and always insist on recording everything seperately.

I think people in general have a hard time of looking at what tools you have at hand and adjusting appropriately...everyone wants to record the Fleetwood Mac way and don't even want to consider the Sgt. Peppers way, or more to my liking is the Phil Spector way. I tell people, recording all the tracks one at a time w/ half assed leveling, is going to sound like a crap demo, and then they say "well this is a crap demo". My way of thinking is that I'd rather have a demo that sounds like a throw back to the distant past than some thrown together sounding shit. Still I always let whoever I'm working with do whatever the hell they want, I don't consider band material "art" to get defensive about. You tell folks you want to record live and that pretty much ensures you don't get to do shit in most bands.

Greg most everything you do sounds like an homage to fundamental 70's recording techniques to me, Reigning Sound always achieves that sense of other worldliness and a throw back to another era. Not so much Fleetwood Mac, but Harry Nilson or Serge Gainsbourg or Dutronc or something. The "polishing" is of little consequence. If I say you're music could be more 'raw' it only implies that you could kick it even further back a generation or two, after all I love the crude Chess recordings more than anything....a reel to reel, a bottle of whiskey, a ribbon mic, and 5 guys in a cold cement room....eventualy I'm going to put my own band together where I have final say, and that's going to be the style of all initial recordings. I'm working on a country blues record in my living room, It's going to be recorded with 2 condensor mics onto a high end Akai reel to reel, assuming is still works after a german sheppard pissed all over it in my sisters basement, mixed down to mono. That's just where I'm at, never got out of the garage mostly.
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 10:58 am

"Eve" and "Not Far Away" are with the new line up

well, this makes me happy because that means you have not lost...um, i am going to call it my "favorite ballad voice" cos there's a distinction between the way you sing some of the slower stuff versus other slower stuff. i, uh, don't know how else to put it. it sounded like home for orphans singing! plus the way the organ sounded, it sounded like alex greene to me. also, maybe when you said old line-up you didn't mean OLLLLLLLLD line-up but just the middle line-up. and the back-ups on Not Far Away i just figured were added later or something (cos it sounds like your partner in crime from Parting Gifts). Anyway, that's my favorite of the songs because i tend to gravitate towards those anyway. it's such a great song! i'd like to say again that if strings were added that'd be amazing. i saw Tori Amos over the weekend (screw you all, i love Tori Amos) and she played with a string quartet and it was just beautiful and so powerful. i've always loved string accompaniment.

anyway, sorry everyone has opinions about you and your band.
Posted: Dec 12, 2011 12:42 pm

That's just fine Stephanie. I like feedback. The new band sounds more like the first line-up. So, I understand what you're saying. I have two ways I can sing a song, high or low, so I know what you mean by that as well. I'm with you on the strings and I do intend to put them on Not Far Away before it is re-released. I look forward to doing more stuff with the new line-up as I really enjoy the dynamic. I confess that the Mac were a super tight band but I don't know how they recorded except TUSK. Which is legendary for how much time and money they spent. The studio is a learning experience every time for me. And of course there is a time and a place for everything. My back catalog is littered with scuzzy, blown out recordings. Sometimes it's just what a song needs. Just not these songs.
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 3:16 pm

I'll throw in my Reigning Sound related complaint here -- for god's sake don't bother with the "Reigning Sound (holiday)" station on Pandora -- well I did kinda enjoy the Dokken take on Santa Clause Is Coming to Town
but i was hoping to get some (any) of the Norton holiday sides - but it was mostly Winger / Dokken and teenybop crap

i started a new job and pandora is pretty much my only option right now
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Wow, yuck.
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 10:10 pm

haha. stephanie, i love you.
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Too bad you were never nominated for anything except least talented Oblivian...

Posted: Dec 15, 2011 7:23 am

^ With some rehearsal - Oblivians could pull of a Suicide/Silver Apples type album!
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 8:58 am

i think they did just fine off the cuff.
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 9:20 am

The audio of this is the entire B side of the Greg Oblivian and the Tip Tops LP I think. When it came out I couldn't give it away. 4-track ballads on the top and an album side of live drum machine freak-out on the flip. Seemed like a wining combination at the time!
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 9:27 am

fuck, i never got that. i was even thinking about asking you if i cold release it as a 12" single. so who has a copy for trade?
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 10:50 am

That's where the better version of 'Watching My Baby' lives . . .

Excellent LP, even if I never made it through the B side.
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 11:03 am

screw Watching My Baby get ready (not really), that's where the heartbreaking Twice As Deep lives! Which I'd kill to see live and sorta did at the Circle A, but my favorite lyric was left out. I blame the whiskey. Another opinion: i think you should bring that into rotation! haha.
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 11:35 am

Excellent LP, even if I never made it through the B side.

ha! you like "music."
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I remember when sympathy released that...I finaly got it on CD, I think it got mixed into someone elses collection....I don't know which came out first Jack's American Slang or that one, but I remember thinking how weird it was that you all were realeasing solo stuff and still using your punk rock band names...well I got used to it quick and the rest as they say is history....tra la la.
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

That's my wife Esther playing drums, Jack playing sax and Bomar on bass.
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 10:04 am

Cool free downloads are very nice...I have arrived in the 2000's.
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 10:26 am | Edited by: rayultine

^ With some rehearsal - Oblivians could pull of a Suicide/Silver Apples type album!
if someone told me this existed without visual / aural proof, I'd be incredulous, to say the least.
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 10:50 am

it's not impossible, not at all even.
shit, now I gotta bother Greg with a pm.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT BUT THEIRS^ GREG
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 1:23 pm

if someone told me this existed without visual / aural proof, I'd be incredulous, to say the least

They played in DC right after I moved away, must have been 94 or 5 someone told me that Jack busted the skin in one of his toms and was wearing it on his head for the rest of the set....I would totally believe it without visual proof.
Posted: Dec 16, 2011 1:31 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Besides that a few of their 7 inches have b-sides that are more performance art than music.
Posted: Dec 21, 2011 10:42 am

i just saw a vinyl copy of the Abdication EP for sale elsewhere online - will there be an easy/official way to purchase this? via RS, Goner, Scion or anything?

i'm only asking cuz i never saw copies of the RS/last years men split 7" being made directly available, so i dont want to miss my opportunity on this new EP.
Posted: Dec 21, 2011 7:22 pm

i just saw a vinyl copy of the Abdication EP for sale elsewhere online - will there be an easy/official way to purchase this? via RS, Goner, Scion or anything?

i'm only asking cuz i never saw copies of the RS/last years men split 7" being made directly available, so i dont want to miss my opportunity on this new EP.

In The Red will be getting some of these as well as vinyl on the King Khan album Scion did. They won't be for sale but they'll be given to anyone buying two or more records.
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 12:01 am

great job on WFMU btw... loving that organ!!!
Posted: Apr 27, 2013 9:01 am

does anyone know how many of these albums were pressed on LP? I just very happily stumbled across one.
Posted: Apr 29, 2013 2:57 pm

My local record store saved me a copy, but I don't know how many were pressed. I didn't know the vinyl was available back in 2011 (I got the CD at the Norton Records 25th anniversary show)... I think I got in spring/summer 2012?
Posted: Apr 30, 2013 10:06 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I got the cd somehow too, I think maybe it was a pleasant surprise in a Goner shipment...I had already downloaded it and listened the fuck out of it.
Posted: Apr 30, 2013 2:00 pm | Edited by: greg O

I left a lot of copies at Goner at one point. We also gave'em away pretty much anywhere we were playing last year.I don't know how well scion actually distributed them to stores. We got a few boxes of the LPs too but they're long gone now.
Posted: Apr 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Seems like I saw the LP here and there.
Posted: Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm

This has nothing to do with current RS album, BUT...Too Much Guitar is by far my fave RS album..!! just sayin. "love is a funny thing..." 100% RAD!!
Posted: Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm

funny this thread was resurrected, i have been digging hard on this EP lately! I got the mp3s when it first came out but somehow never dug deep into it until I got hooked up with a vinyl copy recently (thanks mr. youknowwhoyouare!). Like Stephanie said, the backups on "Not Far Away" are just jaw-dropping, and I gotta play "Call Me #1" 3 times in a row every time it comes on! Really great stuff, all of it. Can't wait to hear more new stuff with this lineup.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®