Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / New Louisiana 2nd hand law?!
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 2:27 pm

This is crazy - LA's banning any cash transactions for shops selling used goods??? So, thrift shops, junk shops...? Do record and book shops fall under this too? And those shops have to keep the check/credit card transaction records for 3 years?? What a terrible, terrible idea.

http://www.unitedliberty.org/articles/8952-using-cash-for-secondhand-t ransactions-now-illegal-in-louisiana
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 2:29 pm

and what does this mean for swap meets? every vendor would have to buy a credit card processer or only accept personal checkS?
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Ummm yeah hi, only poor people buy used things, and maybe if they had bank accounts and used debit cards instead of going to check-to-cash places all the time they wouldn't be poor in the first place. We're just trying to curtail this type of thing. Obviously if you read the news you'd know we have the Mercedes Benz Superdome now, so we're kinda beyond letting the poor trash just run amok. Mind your own business, thanks.
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 10:12 pm

they simply wont record cash transactions, most probably already dont.
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 10:16 pm

shit this is beyond stupid:

the law itself actually exempts pawnbrokers from the no-cash part of the law even though it's fairly clearly that pawn shops are notorious as the destination for stolen goods. If the law was really aimed at preventing stolen goods from being sold in this manner, why ban pawnbrokers?
Posted: Oct 22, 2011 9:56 am

The funniest thing to me is that the state won't even use electronic transactions when conducting their own business, probably because they're a bunch of corrupt fucking thieves. Case in point; I went to the DMV yesterday to renew my expired drivers license. CASH ONLY.
Posted: Oct 22, 2011 10:50 am

The DMV only takes cash because they don't want to pay the fees to the acquiring networks - Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex. The fees are expensive, and implementing a means to take electronic payments would cost way more than most people realize. Not defending them by any means, but I'm sure that's why (or at least the biggest excuse they give).
Posted: Oct 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Case in point; I went to the DMV yesterday to renew my expired drivers license. CASH ONLY.

no "interesting trades considered?"
Posted: Oct 22, 2011 2:11 pm

The DMV only takes cash because they don't want to pay the fees to the acquiring networks - Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex. The fees are expensive, and implementing a means to take electronic payments would cost way more than most people realize. Not defending them by any means, but I'm sure that's why (or at least the biggest excuse they give).

What's funnier is that the regular business owner is not allowed to surcharge to alleviate their burden of the fees and risk HEAVY fines if they do. The DMV here does; 3%, I think, when you renew by card. There is no exemption for them in the contracts they sign, the bankcard (Issuers, not acquirers) companies just never enforce it on them.

Every once in a while, I wish I was back in the card payment industry, but claims payment seems even more fun these days.
Posted: Oct 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Jack - a store I go to often offers "no tax" on cash sales. What's that doing for them?
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 12:06 pm

I know someone who has a boutique and they told me that there's an iphone app that can charge credit cards for you...it's slow and shitty but supposedly free.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 12:15 pm

all hail Bobby Jindahl!
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 12:16 pm

there's a really cool new device which you can run a credit card with. check it out:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/13/BU011LES92 .DTL

not a plug but seems like it would solve a lot of small business' problems, and it sure beats PayPal
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 1:15 pm

a really cool new device which you can run a credit card with

I work at a cash or check only salon and we're all independent contractors. One of the hairstylists got that...it's really cool, and convenient for her clients, but I have no problem working for cash. I have a business checking account into which I deposit all check payments and whatever cash I choose to, and these deposits are my reported income. I "pay" myself for bills and such by transferring into my regular checking. I almost always have cash and pay for most things that way. A simple life, without much
meddling from the government. Lots of Portland businesses are cash only...and this goddamn city would PERISH if there were no resale stores.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 3:18 pm

the state...they're a bunch of corrupt fucking...

Liars, Pimps & Thieves.

Oh my.

Who cares 'bout Dat
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 4:31 pm

still waiting to be hit up by a crust punk spanging with a hand held card reader...have heard of such a thing but still haven't seen it myself.

In other news doesn't Louisiana have all kinds of crazy laws? Impersonating a human being, molesting a cheeseburger? Those are just some of the things I've heard cops slapping people with
Posted: Oct 25, 2011 12:19 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

There has been a slow trend toward criminalizing cash transactions and establishing a cashless grid since the Reagan administration. Since the 1980's, all cash transactions over $10K have had to be reported and large amounts of cash could be subject to confiscation (presumption of drug dealing?) unless a paper trail was available to document it's acquisition. Successful police states don't get rolled out overnight, it's a slow creep.
Posted: Oct 25, 2011 1:18 pm

"Death By A Thousand Cuts" can refer to:

- Slow slicing, a form of torture and execution originating from Imperial China
- Creeping normalcy, the way a major negative change, which happens slowly in many unnoticed increments, is not perceived as objectionable
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®