Goner Message Board / ???? / Kim and Thurston's marriage is a goner
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Meh.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm

womp
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 12:34 am

maybe their band will actually be interesting now ala Lost Sounds later period
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 6:57 am

Maybe Kim can go on the road with Weezer. They have a hard time keeping bass players, and it would piss Thurston off.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 9:44 am

So, let me get this straight. You all love Joe Jackson and don't like Sonic Youth? Maybe i'm on the wrong board here...
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 11:49 am

I loathe the both of them. They deserved each other.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 12:24 pm

The Lost Sounds 'later period' was disgusting to see on stage, and their music sucked and sounded like British NME crap.

different strokes, nanny doodoo

I'm sure it wasn't fun, but what I saw wasn't "disgusting" and it definitely didn't "suck" unless you mean like the good kind most of us men are generally trying to have done to us
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 12:26 pm

sonic youth on the other hand has never meant anything to me except generally having to listen to them or feign interest in them when I'm chasing after that type of "sucking" by someone who has musical taste inferior to mine
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 1:53 pm

^^ Ha! I saw them once in '92 or so, got dragged by my best friend...almost fell asleep in the balcony...wasn't drunk or chasing a boy, so just an overall sucky time.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 5:13 pm

I loathe the both of them. They deserved each other.

Good for you. Spew that hate.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 5:24 pm

^ Ha! I saw them once in '92 or so, got dragged by my best friend...almost fell asleep in the balcony...wasn't drunk or chasing a boy, so just an overall sucky time.

How fucking jaded are you people? I'm not a huge SY fan, but to see them in '92, and almost fall asleep? In '92 I'd have given my left nut to see them and would have been excited as hell. Honestly, I love all you guys....but I think a lot of you are musically spoiled rotten.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 5:51 pm

i saw them around that same time and they killed.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 6:00 pm

How fucking jaded are you people?

Quite jaded at times...sorry...and spoilt too, or lucky...not sure. But, to be fair...they were just never my thing. I saw the Ramones (who were obviously not in their heyday like SY) the same year and my head almost exploded, while I wet my pants and threw my pee-pee panties onstage. Plenty of bands still do that to me ALL the time...and I'm 40. Gonerfest 8 had several, por ejemplo. It's all relative and subjective isn't it?
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 8:04 pm

i think sonic youth are boring and yeah i do like joe jackson. i also do not like lost sounds, theyre ok but i never cared enough to buy any of their records.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Lost Sounds a band? My ass. Never been a band. Two ideas on a horse with no name. A 50/50 band. Those are doomed to fuck up.

the beatles???
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I played with The Ramones in 1992 and they were awful. And they're my favorite band of all time. Sonic Youth were never good but they really stunk around then. Goo was garbage (and I was in the studio with them when they were making it, rode to the record release party with them in a limo, was onstage with them at Roseland when Kim threw a temper tantrum and left the stage after a few songs in front of a sold-out hometown crowd). Kim and Thurston are two of the nastiest people I've ever met.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 9:10 pm

the ramones started to suck right around 1980 and their live shows were terrible, yet even their later albums usually had at least a couple good songs on them.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm

The Ramones had some excellent shows after 1980. I saw them around the time of Pleasant Dreams and they were great. By the mid-80's when I saw them with The Cramps and The Dickies at The Ritz they were playing so fast you couldn't tell what song it was. Best show of theirs I saw was in the first week of January 1978 at The Palladium with The Runaways and Suicide when Tommy was still in the band.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Lost Sounds a band? My ass. Never been a band. Two ideas on a horse with no name. A 50/50 band. Those are doomed to fuck up.

the beatles???

Husker Du?

Who cares? I think I'd rather listen to two people collaborating on the same album than two solo albums of separate solo material.Some of Jay's songs are good, some of Alicja's songs are good. Rats Brains is excellent.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Did Kim catch Byron and Thurston suckin each other off again?
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 10:23 pm

seen SY many times (first time was in '88) and they were never boring...some shows were much better than others, but you could say that about any band. Went record diggin' with Thurston a few years ago... real nice guy, fun to talk records/music with...he took me around to all sorts of record spots.

But, shit, not many bands can keep kicking ass after damn near 30 years, they had a good run.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 11:31 pm

i would have to say i quit buying anything around goo, but saw them every chance i had prior to that and was never disappointed
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 8:17 am

Gordon's song have always been awful. I'd be happy to take a listen to a SY album without her. I've also always wished that Lee would do a solo record that was less soundscape/experimental and more like the one or two cuts he usually contributes to the group effort.
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 8:22 am

.. or maybe Kim will get the band and they continue on without Thurston, haha.
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 9:34 am

Confusion is Sex, Sister and Daydream Nation are all GREAT albums. I saw them a few times in the 90s and actually had a range of experiences. I was never "bored", but I saw them where they played a ton of those old hits and was blown away and then I saw them where they played basically whatever new album they'd just released and it was still good, but not what I wanted to hear, basically. But I still listen to those early albums more than I do any other band mentioned in this thread. ESPECIALLY, Joe Jackson.
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Bad Moon Rising (!) and Evol are great, too. Honestly, I love almost all of their 80s material. I hardly like any of their 1990s material (1990's Goo included). Talk about a quick turnaround...
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Weird... i just realized that I've never heard Evol. I need to track that one down!
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 2:03 pm

I wish that bands like Sonic Youth never existed. They helped destroy Rock N Roll. They suck.
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 2:10 pm

did you tell them that in the studio or the limo?
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 2:29 pm

How fucking jaded are you people? I'm not a huge SY fan, but to see them in '92, and almost fall asleep? In '92 I'd have given my left nut to see them and would have been excited as hell. Honestly, I love all you guys....but I think a lot of you are musically spoiled rotten.

let's see...1992...I was interested in New Bomb Turks, Poison Idea, Geto Boys,Lazy Cowgirls, Devil Dogs, Filth, The Gits, Ice Cube, Entombed, Godflesh, Pitchshifter, Repulsion, Autopsy, The Humpers, Born Against, Dr Dre, Leatherface, Dwarves, Neurosis, The Mummies as well as a bunch of other crap I can't think of now....SY just didn't cut it with my listening preferences, Sorry!

like I said Nanner different strokes...that last ITR album LS put out I think is great. Live when I saw them Jay definitely was sending out hostility and other negative emotions but not directed at Alicja, and she was feeding off it and venting her negative emotions as well, not just being a wallflower/victim and taking it. You saw them on their final tour so maybe shit got way more out of hand onstage I don't know. Didn't witness it myself.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 10:23 am

Geto Boys

i heard the best song i've ever heard yesterday and it was by the Geto Boys. I don't remember the name of it, but it was about being high on cocaine.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

There's a couple LPs under the moniker "Ghetto Boys", but the 1st LP in which the band name is "Geto Boys", is fantastic. "Mind Of A Lunatic" was always a favorite. Jim Weber said that the Turks would have that tape/disc blaring the van whenever they were getting close to Houston. Beautiful.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 11:49 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Kim is on the market? Oooh lah lah...divorcees just want to fuck! Yeehaww.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 12:06 pm

I say you got to give them props, they got over and that was something.
They are probably now both having mid-life crises, and can afford something different.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Sonic Youth were an extremely compelling and innovative band for several albums past the usual first three, especially considering hardcore punk was the rage back when they emerged. I can see why people view them as boring hacks now, but they created some cool weird music for awhile.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 1:49 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

the cool weird music I liked was more of the Butthole Surfers/Gong/Fugs variety...the one song I "liked" by sonic youth was their mtv hit off daydream nation whatever that was called

and now we have to give them "props" for getting over?

do we have to worship the backstreet boys and nsynch as well...I'd give props to Milli Vanilli before any of those scroatmunchers for simply making the whole shebang into one giant joke
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Kim is 58 btw.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 2:44 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Have you seen her lately, like uhm, ten years ago?
I thought she was at least 50+

Dude I don't care...I appreciate women for their life experience, personality, and flexibility.

I realy don't care. It's on.

Plus she probbably can't have kids anymore and that's a distinct bonus.
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

I mean physical flexibility...you know that rich bitch does yoga with Madonna and shit.

And when did she get older than Grace Slick?
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Posted: Oct 18, 2011 10:38 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'd make her famous....at least that's what I'd tell her, "I'm gonna make you a star baby. Nothing but the best. Straight to the top"....I'd be like the reverse Gene Simmons cuz he likes the young ones, therefore not sleazy at all.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 10:40 am

Same goes for Madonna.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 12:03 pm

i would have to say i quit buying anything around goo, but saw them every chance i had prior to that and was never disappointed

same thing for me, although i bought up to dirty. i might even have washing machine, for some reason. goo was where it started to fall apart. who knew they'd release 2,000 albums after that?
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 12:35 pm

i think y'all have arrived at the inevitable conclusion: No Kim, no success for Sonic Youth. She was the one who got them over.

A California girl, I might add.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 1:07 pm

...yeah...what PP said, pretty much.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 1:31 pm

I remember when this board used to be for Rock N Roll not a halfway house for Matador wanna be's. And girls are generally not old enough to be your grandmother.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 1:33 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I don't know...Guitar Wolf and Lost Sounds were both released by Matador.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 2:33 pm

shit, Ned...yyou're so goddamn old you remember a time before computers even
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 6:13 pm | Edited by: Jesse Garon

at one time a CA girl, now just another NYC fashion trendsetter with saggy upper arms

but OH what upper arms! thanks Kim!!!
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 8:24 am

"I'm gonna make you a star baby. Nothing but the best. Straight to the top"

The funny part is that I'd realy be saying this to my dick...Kim and Madonna would just think I was saying it to them...then I'd be out the door before they unlock eachothers handcuffs.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 9:00 am

I liked Free Kitten
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 9:36 am

sonic youth makes me bored
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 9:51 am | Edited by: rayultine

I remember when this board used to be for Rock N Roll not a halfway house for Matador wanna be's. And girls are generally not old enough to be your grandmother.

This is the voice I hear when I read what you write.
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/embed/y1_NhnXMCKw][/youtube]

embed fail after embed fail.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 10:10 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 11:08 am

Senior Citizen discounts count for alot in my book.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 11:44 am

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 2:03 pm

To bad women are so shallow and critical of mens bodies...poor Thurston Moore.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 2:11 pm

tall, pale, artsy-fartsy, moderately wealthy, and hot to trot in NYC. I'm not really feeling bad for him.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 2:36 pm

He should get a dread lock rat tail...that might help.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm just sayin, Kim's not gonna be there with the fashion tips anymore...we all got to pull together and help the guy out.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 4:52 pm

"Hi, my name is Thurston. You can buy me this kitten with the weird guitar, or you can turn the page."
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm

i thought it was a free kitten.
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 6:58 pm

About 15 years ago my dad sold all of his Lp's (a few thousand) and I had sent my dad's information around to a few people that I knew would like some wacko free jazz stuff. He never said much about anyone except
"That Tim Kerr guy seems really cool, but that Thurston guy is a little strange. Byron Coley seems alright" (not knowing who any of these people are...)
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 8:23 am

Ha...your dad sounds like a pretty astute dude.
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 8:29 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I like Thurston Moore, I realy do...but I wonder if this is going to start a trend in indie circles of aging "riot grrls" divorcing their gangly A-sexual boyfriends?

In that case all of us Goners stand to gain. I'm polishing my handcuffs.
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 3:44 pm

aging "riot grrls"

We're all aging, every single day. Even babies.

Sorry...I'm just getting tired of seeing that word used as a euphemism for "old."

If you mean "old," just say it.
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 5:45 pm

why did they divorce?
Posted: Oct 20, 2011 7:11 pm

just getting tired

grumpy, eh?
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 7:39 am

I'm not aging...I'm maturing...there's a big differance...I haven't hit my prime yet.

"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 9:57 am

Uh, yes, I am in fact watching you.
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Hey Nanne- If you aren't healthy enough to stand (or even sit) for an hour to watch a band how are you going to get out on the streets and apprehend a criminal? I am just a bit confused.
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Sike! I'm not watching you.
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 2:44 pm

somebody please acknowledge i made the best joke ever in my last post. i'm getting offended.
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 3:48 pm

in the words of Little Willie John, you better leave my kitten alone
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 12:52 am

You huff and puff, but you dont bring the house down. I hope the best on yr health.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 9:48 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

On the human design table I'm a 5/4 Projector.

Does anybody remember way back in the early 2000s when someone pointed out that one of the Demons Claws uncles was the guru of this crazy Human Design cult? I thought you were all crazy already, but then it seemed to catch on and I realy thought you all were crazy.

Then about 2 years ago, I fell into a relationship with this woman who was also into this shit...I had forgotten about the connection with Demons Claws until I read the wikipedia about it's guru, and then I figured it was probbably Skip Jensen, which was weird because I did a record for him not long before that. Anyway, I dated that bitch for 3 months and I figured out that she was bat shit crazy....now I'm still posting on this message board, and I still can't tell for sure if you all are bat shit crazy or if it's me that's bat shit crazy, but it's probbably a little bit of both.

Thanks for keeping me guessing, you guys.

Here's a rumor for you mills, I am Boner Dad I/e Dadboner.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 10:16 am

5/4 Projectors never reveal themselves to anyone, and no one ever gets to fully know them.

that's what that bat shit crazy bitch told me. Nanne what is your Human Design classification? Look into this Canadian Raver New Age Science....
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 11:02 am

I'm 3/5 projector...sorry.

Here is a link:

http://www.jovianarchive.com/Get_Your_Chart#
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 11:59 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I don't realy know what time I was born either...I just guesstimated.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Posted: Oct 24, 2011 4:43 pm

From the deleted wikipaedophilia:

The Magnetic Monopole's job is to be the driver

I've got the mind of a juvenile.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

let's see...1992...I was interested in New Bomb Turks, Poison Idea, Geto Boys,Lazy Cowgirls, Devil Dogs, Filth, The Gits, Ice Cube, Entombed, Godflesh, Pitchshifter, Repulsion, Autopsy, The Humpers, Born Against, Dr Dre, Leatherface, Dwarves, Neurosis, The Mummies as well as a bunch of other crap I can't think of now....SY just didn't cut it with my listening preferences, Sorry!

I liked most of all that. But I also believe Sister by Sonic youth is a "classic" record. They did a Crime cover! Of course I'll give you points for mentioning The Gits and The Humpers in the same list.
Posted: Oct 24, 2011 8:18 pm

I missed some obvious ones Fuckboyz/Hickey (don't know if Hickey had actually been born yet but Fuckboyz jeez... luv'd dat shit)

eh Crime cover Shrime cover...that band is completely over rated like SY and if they hadn't have been around when they were and dressed like they did nobody would think they warranted a big whoop anyways

gimmie electric eels
Posted: Oct 25, 2011 7:34 am

Crime are cool.

If Goners want to find a new age science, I'm going with something Reichian orogone based or the Planet Of The Apes religion, as elaborated on in the sequels.

Leave the Scientology and the Human Design to the rave kids.
Posted: Oct 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I saw both F-boyz and Hickey in SF/SanJose (often the cactus club or the mission) in the heydey. ANybody remember PROBE zine?

Crime rules- and Sister is a classic record!

Simply saucer was better than the EEs, but only in 1975
Posted: Oct 26, 2011 1:44 pm

I too saw FBoyz and Hickey in the "heydey" whatever that is since once they broke up there were no reunions and won't be any since Matty is dead.

Sorry I disagree with you about Crime and SY...besides a few songs by Crime I find them all boring.

In 1975 I hated all music except the shit they played on the Creature Feature movies and Halloween records....oh and whatever was coming out of ice cream trucks
Posted: Oct 27, 2011 3:06 am

Those Geto Boys were selected like a boyband and were a fake crew.
I really like that detail somehow.

Agreed. Bushwick Bill was talking about that once in an interview...

y and it was by the Geto Boys.

Everybody likes the Geto Boys. "If she gots big tits, I'll squeeze 'em and hold 'em/ While she sucks my dick and licks my scrotum."

There is some serious intellect going on with their lyrics. Anybody who has ever bothered to write a poem would agree.

Hold 'em/ scrotum? Show me the rhyming dictionary that has that one.

"Willie D is the gangsta of love/ Some of my friends sell drugs..."

"...and what you'd see would make ya ass start gigglin'/ three black crippled and old senior citizens"...etc. etc.

I'm no SY afficienado or anything but those lyrics. Damn. After listening to the geto boys, why would you spend any time listening to SY.
Posted: Oct 27, 2011 8:35 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I concur, why the hell would you listen to Sonic Youth when you had shit like Luke Skyywalker to dig on?

I was listening to Aerosmith and Motley Crue back then, but I may have just been a little racist. My loss, I missed the boat. This was the jam my cousin used to listen to when he would detail the white wall on his tires:

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 11:37 am | Edited by: Thee Gilded Chimera

I've heard from an unimpeachable source that Tom Hazelmyer once got drunk off of two bottles of Jagermeister, met Thurston Moore and went and head-butted him...

I'd like to see GG Allin and Thurston Moore in a no holds-barred cage match.
Posted: Oct 27, 2011 12:57 pm

I saw both F-boyz and Hickey in SF/SanJose (often the cactus club or the mission) in the heydey. ANybody remember PROBE zine?

Fuckboyz were great live...Hickey, didn't always nail it, but certainly had their moments....
And yes, in fact I still have a few Probe mags. Including the F-Boyz issue with Jacqueline (recently a new mom of twins!) on the cover. I thought Aaron Muentz was kind of a douche...thought a lot of himself, always trolling for pussy/models...creeped me out. Like a pervy Mike LaVella. His taste/area of coverage in music was limited and marginal, but the zine wasn't too bad. Gotta say, I looked forward to new issues and you never knew if someone you know was gonna turn up naked in there...pretty glad I steered clear of that myself tho...
Posted: Oct 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Aaron was basically pretty green to "punk" when he started doing Probe and was definitely like the frat boy who discovers drugs and "easy" girls at the punk show. Part of the reason I liked him, and part of his creep factor for sure. He was an alright guy though even when he was trying to fight me when he could barely stand up cause I "stole his keys", and having him drive me all around SF looking for Thunderbird just before hand was one tour highlight most definitely.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®