Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / any joe jackson fans out there?
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 11:48 am

a guy i work with was playing look sharp the other day and now it's all i wanna listen to. what else is good by him?
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Gosh, I couldn't tell you. Stuff from Night and Day was on MTVs constant rotation when I was in high school in the early 80s. I liked it then, but for some reason, I just never pursued his work. Probably 'cause I was too wrapped up in metal at the time. The hits from that record were "Steppin' Out", which is a really nice tune & "Breaking Us In Two." The cover of that record is beautiful.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Look Sharp and I'm the Man...then you're done! Nice and neat.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Not quite my speed, but here's the video for "Breaking Us In Two."

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Yes. But you can find a good cut here in there on most other LPs too.

Recently:
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 1:09 pm

YOU'RE ALL FAGS.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 1:09 pm

First three then check out the 2003 Joe Jackson Band - Volume 4. It is even better than the Huey Lewis Band the News - 4.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 1:40 pm

got the time
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm

YOU'RE ALL FAGS.

dunno man, look sharp is pretty killer.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 5:35 pm

YOU'RE ALL FAGS.

Love Joe Jackson.

I'm the Man also rules.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm

you mean the basketball player for memphis tigers, right?
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm

YOU'RE ALL FAGS.

"Is She Really Going Out With Him" takes on a whole new meaning if you look at it that way.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Love the first two. Bass player was a motherfucker.
Posted: Oct 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Bass player was a motherfucker.

Serious.

Kinda Kute is one of the best songs ever written by a weird dude that also looks like a spider.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 1:23 am

I concur with the general consensus - first two albums (particularly 'Look Sharp!') are f'ing killer. Bazooka Joe don't know what he's talkin' aboot.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 1:38 am

it's different for girls :)
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 4:56 am

Maybe too pedestrian for you authoritites, but totally did "Steppin Out" as my first ever karaoke performance last week at Murphys.
Some kids walked out, but I yelled at them as they were leaving because they just don't understand.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 4:58 am

p.s. I love that there is BOTH a piano and Glockenspiel.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 7:52 am

Skank Police got it right.

PS. We prefer the term "Homosexual".
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 9:49 am

What everybody else said.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 10:51 am

Posted: Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm

"steppin' out" always makes me think of two other songs: human league "fascination" & soft cell "tainted love." with the exception of "tainted love" i can hear these at the grocery store, and that's the only place i like hearing them. they're "good" but not a sound i ever want near my ears on purpose.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 2:22 pm

i listened to steppin out like 5 times yesterday as a result of this thread
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm

well i hope you did some kinda buffalo bill penis-tuck dance while you were jamming out to it.l
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 3:28 pm

nope but my friend mark did make fun of me for listening to chick rock...
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 3:33 pm

...buffalo bill penis-tuck dance...

I have seen a picture of Brad X and while he may or may not be as offensive to the eye as I am, this is still a very unpleasant thought.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

this thread makes me feel like i've been...
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Any lame-o's out there? I guess this thread answers that question.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 5:29 pm

I have definitely heard Joe Jackson in the supermarket!
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Beat Crazy is great too.

... and yes, Graham Maby is motherfucker of a badass bass player.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 9:16 pm

there was a link in my last post. it's kinda hard to see.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 10:05 pm

"steppin' out" always makes me think of two other songs: human league "fascination" & soft cell "tainted love."

While this is very true, and I once thought I was too garage tuff turkey for JJ...for that very reason...I also thought Elvis Costello and Graham Parker were "Dad Rock".... and then, some 17-18 years ago... as it commonly happens, someone I greatly respected forced me to shut it and actually listen to Look Sharp, My Aim is True, and Howlin" Wind all in one day. I promptly pulled my dirthead out of my rocker ass, ate my crow...and have lived a much improved life since. The end. True story.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 10:15 pm

whatever, i actually dig costello, so don't try an pigeonhole this darkie.
Posted: Oct 13, 2011 10:59 pm

When I was wee I made my mom buy me the sheet music to steppin out because I loved that song so much.

That ain't an easy song but I ruled it.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 12:00 am

whatever, i actually dig costello, so don't try an pigeonhole this darkie.

and he produced the specials. jj ain't even in the same league!
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 8:27 am

I talked a friend into letting me play Steppin Out at a bar last night, but the stupid internet jukebox didn't have it so I played this instead:

All of the black guys went crazy and everyone was dancing and telling me how I kick it old school.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am | Edited by: Uptight White

I also thought Elvis Costello and Graham Parker were "Dad Rock

A Boulder, CO radio station built a huge listener base around that kind of music and called it "Adult Alternative" in the 1990's, but "Dad Rock" sounds better. Joe Jackson was definitely doing something unique in the wake of all of the New Romantic/ Post-Punk coming out of the UK at the time, but I never cared for it.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 10:28 am

and then, some 17-18 years ago... as it commonly happens, someone I greatly respected forced me to shut it and actually listen to Look Sharp

no one i respect would ever say that to me. unless eric likes it and told me to listen to it, but if he did i'd still laugh.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 10:44 am

i don't know who gram parker is.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am

It would have gone good with DEATH...I felt pretty good about my jukebox set list.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 12:02 pm

DAMN-DIPA-DOO-DOO-WOPA DOO-DOO-WOPA-DOO-WAH!!!
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 12:03 pm

"Dad Rock"
BRAY!
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Maybe it has more to do with the time period. There are advantages that someone buying records in 1982 just didn't have compared to today. I have a fondness for Look Sharp, because it was around and being played when I was younger. It's only a few years later that I was starting to record collect more and starting to mail order Lp's.
There was a little more work required.
I am not trying to come off as an old-timer, just that we had less stuff to be exposed too.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 1:20 pm

i was in grade school when it came out. i liked the human league song and tainted love back then. and the jj, too. but i was 10.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 4:04 pm

now he is a skinhead...and moonstompin to joe jackson just don't cut it...give him some more time and exposure to the brian setzer orchestra in his retirement years and hell be all over that poop

jumpin joe jackson is a fine white tribute to some race music
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 4:12 pm

what about those northern soul djs that spin that cap'n and tenille song? that's offensive.
Posted: Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Posted: Oct 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Posted: Oct 14, 2011 8:45 pm

don't try an pigeonhole this darkie.

I'm not pigeonholin' anybody, tender minority... except maybe MYSELF and a certain brand of English pub-rock-gone-new-wave that is, in my opinion, super awesome.

no one i respect would ever say that to me.

No one SAID shit, I was just young and dumb and at work at the record store...there was no where I could go. If I knew you better I'd invite you to the same challenge... those 3 records, in a row. Laugh all you like...

...and pfffffft! HERE'S how you make fun of that shit:

Posted: Oct 15, 2011 9:20 am

my brother had "tainted love" played at his wedding, and my wife and I were convinced that he lacks ears and/or common sense.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 1:58 pm

i don't know who gram parker is...

Gram PARSONS was in the Flying Burrito Brothers ,and has written a few hundred epic songs in his day..

Graham Parker was in the Rumour, along with one of the dudes from Ducks Deluxe..

unless you were just trying to show the difference, then disregard...

The the amount of shitty music that's lauded on this board has never ceased to amaze me, and you can certainly like whatever the hell you want, but it doesn't sound as if you've actually sat down and listened to those first two Joe Jackson records and formulated your opinion. Oh, and fuck the Specials....nerd..
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Posted: Oct 15, 2011 3:27 pm

i don't know who gram parker is...

Gram PARSONS was in the Flying Burrito Brothers ,and has written a few hundred epic songs in his day..

Graham Parker was in the Rumour, along with one of the dudes from Ducks Deluxe..

unless you were just trying to show the difference, then disregard...

somone said parker. i don't know who he is. pay attention.

it doesn't sound as if you've actually sat down and listened to those first two Joe Jackson records and formulated your opinion.

of course i haven't. you know why? cuz i heard steppin' out on the radio.

fuck the Specials

fuck YOU. that first album rules.
Posted: Oct 15, 2011 4:43 pm | Edited by: Greg Gonn

I lived across the street from Joe Jackson for years. I could see into his living room from my front window. He had a white grand piano and gold records on the wall. I heard his soundcheck at the Schaefer Festival in Central Park back in 1978 or 1979. Bo-ring. Especially for then.
Posted: Oct 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Isn't Joe Jackson's "Breaking US In Two" is a total cop of "Day After Day" by Badfinger?
Posted: Oct 17, 2011 11:59 am

Posted: Oct 17, 2011 12:02 pm

Posted: Oct 18, 2011 3:14 pm

You should check him out. Howlin' Wind and Squeezing out Sparks are great records and Heat Treatment has great songs too. The Rumour even plays a decent reggae groove, which is a rare thing for a rock band.

my brother had "tainted love" played at his wedding

I understand the overexposure, but don't write off this song until you hear the Gloria Jones original.

-Dad
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Isn't Joe Jackson's "Breaking US In Two" is a total cop of "Day After Day" by Badfinger?

There are definitely some similarities...here's an online discussion of it if you really care...
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 4:10 pm

You should check him out. Howlin' Wind and Squeezing out Sparks are great records and Heat Treatment has great songs too

SOS is truly great and recommended to J. Jackson fans, among others.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

I understand the overexposure, but don't write off this song until you hear the Gloria Jones original.

both versions rule, but that is a FUCKED UP song to play at a wedding.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 4:47 pm

but don't write off this song until you hear the Gloria Jones original.

Good call! I'd never heard that one...

Also, off subject- sixelsix, I just got tyranny and mutation as suggested, and have played the shit out of it.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Gram Parker's Stick To Me and Parkerilla are also good ones.
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 5:14 pm

both versions rule, but that is a FUCKED UP song to play at a wedding.

I mistakenly played "Ain't No Sunshine" at my sister-in-law's wedding. Not the reception; the wedding....
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 5:32 pm

that is a FUCKED UP song to play at a wedding

Oh, OK...hadn't thought of that...
Posted: Oct 18, 2011 5:56 pm

of course i haven't. you know why? cuz i heard steppin' out on the radio.

I knew it! Yeah...I did the same thing when I heard that damn "Feelin' Hot Hot Hot" on the radio... there's no way those New York Dolls coulda been any good anyway, and holy shit do they look gay! One thing is for sure: NOBODY has ever made one or two great records before they started to suck...

a FUCKED UP song to play at a wedding

Not in poor taste lyrically but, when I got married a million years ago, there were no iPods or good DJ's. I painstakingly put together a very specific playlist for our DJ...all killer-no filler danceable soul, oldies, funk and some Cheap Trick, Ramones, Real Kids etc. that I thought the fogies could handle. Halfway through the reception the fucker slips in "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals... my ex and I were across the party from each other, but our heads both spun around, and we stared in horror as drunk relatives got their booty bump on. Woop woop!
Posted: Oct 19, 2011 8:34 am

Damn no taste having generic relatives!

This is what I request at weddings:

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 8:44 am

followed by:

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 12:20 pm

sixelsix, I just got tyranny and mutation as suggested, and have played the shit out of it.

Good man. You really can't go wrong with any of the first three.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®