Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Requisite "Flying with Gear" thread...
Posted: Sep 14, 2011 4:04 pm

I've flown with guitars before and know that routine, but anybody ever try to get a keyboard in its case aboard? With the flight case, it's heavy (50-60 lbs?) and probably 50" long.
Posted: Sep 14, 2011 5:15 pm

james had a gtr case like that when we went to australia, but it was very heavy duty and he checked it
Posted: Sep 14, 2011 7:50 pm

going to austin next week for some shows and checking my bass. soft shell, but it's heavy duty and not a gig bag. if i can get it on board i will, but it's a pretty big case, so i'm doubtful.
Posted: Sep 14, 2011 9:51 pm

It'll most likely get checked. If it gets checked, it can get delayed/lost. So, for safety's sake plan to put as many hours as you can between when you arrive, and when you actually need to use the keyboard (to allow them to get it to you) If it does get lost- Raise hell. Tell them it has your insulin or heart medicine or brain pills in it. Airline delivery services have two speeds- "Regular" and "Rush". Rich people, dying people, and hell raisers get bumped to "Rush".)
The Airline's website will have a page for luggage dimensions/prices.
Posted: Sep 15, 2011 10:45 am

They will make you check a road case and pay a baggage charge over a certain (arbitrary) weight limit. You can try to "gate check it" by trying to get it on the plane. They then take it off the ramp like they do baby strollers. Less people handling it, less of a chance it will be lost.
Posted: Sep 15, 2011 5:14 pm

If you can get as far as through the gate with it, you can also ask them to store it in the First Class cabin Closet at the front of the plane. Provided it would fit there, that is. I've done that with LP and 45 Road Cases when traveling to DJ....not wanting to let my records out of my sight. Fortunately, I've never had to check vinyl yet (despite the weight of the cases...).....
Posted: Sep 16, 2011 9:16 pm

Talked to the airline and got the restriction of 50 pounds. Went home and weighed the keyboard and case and... 52.4 pounds... which equals $150 more.
Posted: Sep 16, 2011 10:01 pm

What Carney and Jay said...tell them you must carry it on...try to get it through the gate. Don't they only weigh/charge for baggage at the ticket counter?

Or...'scuse my ignorance...is there no 2.4 lb part on the thing you can detach until you get there?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®