Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / New Jack Oblivian "Rat City" LP is out
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Highly suggested! Jack spent a long time on this one and you can tell.
http://www.biglegalmessrecords.com/jacko.htm
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 7:50 pm

When it comes to Goner.....I'm on it. Jack O rules.
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 8:13 pm

jack is my favorite of the oblivians songwriters right now, wore out on greg awhile ago, great as he is. jack's stuff is usually about 50/50 for me, but thats just because he is capable of playing so many styles. i look forward to hearing the new one...
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 8:49 pm

interesting choice for a record title, since that is a very Seattle, WA. name.
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 10:27 pm

Man, all the Oblivians have just killed it. Reigning Sound, Jack O, TSOT, and you still get an awesome Oblivians show every once a awhile. I wish more great bands would break up like that.
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 11:28 pm

HOUSE SHOW - 1996 - Oblivians!
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 11:37 pm

MASS CONFUSION from the new one:
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 10:27 am

Another one:
Posted: Sep 2, 2011 6:26 pm

Rat City is sort of a "song inside" of a song. Love it!
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 8:03 pm

Glad to see "Caboose Jump" is on it; asked him a while back if he was ever going to do anything with it.. I have a recording of you guys trying to work that out at practice for the Gories tour a few years ago. That and whatever that "Back Street Dropout", or whatever it was... Will pick it up. Hopefully soon.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 9:11 pm

I bought it. Its great!
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 9:28 pm

HOUSE SHOW - 1996 - Oblivians!

Look at that goofball at 20:21!!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 10:24 am

Anybody else think 'Kidnapper' sounds a lot like a 'Lil Bob tune. I was sure that was going to be a cover for about the first 15 seconds! It's my favorite so far though . . .
Posted: Sep 20, 2011 9:36 pm

Girl On The Beeeeach!
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Anybody else think 'Kidnapper' sounds a lot like a 'Lil Bob tune. I was sure that was going to be a cover for about the first 15 seconds!

Hmmm, seems to be a cover after all! Anybody know who's the original is, can't find anything by the credits (D. Jewel, FE Garvin).
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Recurring theme!

Running In A Rat Race 7" (Solid Sex Lovie Doll Records, 2006, SSLD 008)

Love the record- the song that always catches me off guard is "Moses & Me." Love the take on it.
Posted: Sep 27, 2011 11:28 am

Anybody else think 'Kidnapper' sounds a lot like a 'Lil Bob tune. I was sure that was going to be a cover for about the first 15 seconds!

Hmmm, seems to be a cover after all! Anybody know who's the original is, can't find anything by the credits (D. Jewel, FE Garvin).

I know there's an old soul song called "Kidnapper" (b/w "A Thrill") on La Louisianne by Jewell & Rubies.
Not sure if that's it (no sound on computer at work to compare), but maybe....?
Posted: Sep 27, 2011 11:35 am

great song. also, a beach music classic...
Posted: Sep 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Anybody else think "Dark Eyes" sounds a lot like "Bad To Me" by Billy J. Kramer?
I Love It! Jack O. kills! And a killer dancer to boot!

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 1:03 pm

I know there's an old soul song called "Kidnapper" (b/w "A Thrill") on La Louisianne by Jewell & Rubies.

That must be it! Funny that it ends up being something from La Louisianne anyways!!!

Just came across this live clip for the song from a couple weeks ago, now in search of a version of the original to hear . . .

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 1:40 pm

kidnapper. see my link above for more about the song.
Posted: Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm

kidnapper

Nice, thanks.

So, then, Lil' Bob comes along with this a few years after, a little bit of borrowing going on ...
Posted: Sep 29, 2011 11:11 pm

Anybody else think 'Kidnapper' sounds a lot like a 'Lil Bob tune.

Dunno..but I was driving around today playing that one over and over...obsessed with both that little melody and the bass line...both of which I made a point to figure out when I got home....great song....
Posted: Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm

JACK O SHOWS FEB-MARCH

Thu, 16 Feb
Memphis, TN
@ The Buccaneer Lounge

Fri, 17 Feb
Oxford, MS
@ Two Stick

Sat, 18 Feb
Atlanta, GA
@ Highland Inn Ballroom Lounge

Sun, 19 Feb
New Orleans, LA
@ Siberia

Fri, 16 Mar
@ Hot Springs National Park, AR
Maxine's

Sat, 17 Mar
SXSW - Austin, TX
@ 29th Street Ballroom
Posted: Feb 15, 2012 11:30 am

good LP. flog it, Jack!
Posted: Feb 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Come north!!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®