Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Best garage bass players
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 8:55 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

So I been playing bass...a full scale bass for the first time since I was 14. It's been a little rocky. My hands are used to everything being closer together..but I'm used to the wide string spacing from fingerpicking a bootleg national so much. It's a Peavey T-40 I traded a bmx bike for on craigslist, the guy wanted it for his son...It fits my body frame perfectly. It's the most balanced guitar I've ever owned, people bitch about the weight but realy it's no more heavy than some Les Pauls I played in the 90's...it's just rock solid. I hold it standing for hours on end it never bothers me, must be the 35 pound reso I been used too. I also got a cl deal on a fender red knob amp for dirt cheap...so it's the first all made in the US rig I've ever owned, even the speakers are made right here in Kentucky by Eminence. If you count the original cost of the bike, it was all for under 500...anyway, this band is the most Goner style band I've ever been in and it's nice that I don't have to do all the work. Lots of references to Compulsive Gamblers and Black Lips camps. I'm pushin for a Neckbones/ Woggles/ Bleed sound, but for the most part just keep my mouth shut and keep things fair and good natured. They're good musicians and I'm struggling with the new instrument learning curve just to keep up with these guys.

So who are the best garage bass players you can think of? All the ones I can think of are more about image than instrumentation and that's why I'm primarily concerned with sounding tough. There's 3 or 4 different ways to play everything on bass, and I do experiment but what it boils down to for me is which sounds the most consistent and hard driving, it's not a finese instrument and that's not my style anyway.

Sure yeah, Mike Watt, blah blah blah, stand up basses are lame, blah, blah, blah...lets avoid the typical messageboard bullshit thats been said on a million musician webpages.

I'll start off...I been listening to lots of Jerry Teel in Cranks...Steve Baise...Billy Bass Wolf...Lemmy. Been meaning to dig out some Mad 3 LPs...Matt Reber....give me more to consider.
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 9:00 am

Also I'll add, all those guys I mentioned use a pick...it's what sounds the most edgy and aggressive to me...sure since I play country blues in open tunings on the reso I can fingerpick...but just cuz you can do something doesn't mean you should...
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 9:53 am

just cuz you can do something doesn't mean you should...

Like posting on message boards?
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 10:57 am

The dude from Radio Birdman can play.
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am | Edited by: Sal

Definitely Steve Baise. The dude from Teengenerate is super fast. Reigning Sound ("Time Bomb HS" and "Too Much Guitar").
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 11:31 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Like posting on message boards?

Well I was thinking more along the lines of male on male sex, but I know better than to discourage that with you.

...zing!
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Dude from the Move
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Randy Fuller
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm

get some flatwounds!
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 8:41 pm

I thought garage bands don't have bass players

the white stripes
the cramps
the oblivians
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 8:54 am

get some flatwounds!

Already did...that's all I've played since I was a teenager. I put flatwounds on a guitar I sold last month...and this old guy picked it up and said these strings are ancient...and I said they're brand new, they're just flatwounds.

Flatwounds are closer to what strings used to be like before the 60s....if you realy want to know what it was like in the early days, go buy different gauges of wire at the hardware store.
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 9:04 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I said they're brand new, they're just flatwounds

I was proud of myself for making a guitar shop asshole feel stupid.

The guitar was some old Jap guyatone knock off..he must have assumed the strings were as old as it.
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 7:41 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Johnny Johnson from The Headcoats
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 10:32 am

When I saw him in Cinci...I said he did a good job and he told me he fucked up most every song, and I told him I didn't notice.
Posted: Sep 2, 2011 7:41 am

The Baseball Furies bass player is realy good...I was listening to Let it Be last night.
Posted: Sep 2, 2011 6:57 pm

The Baseball Furies bass player is realy good...I was listening to Let it Be last night.

Jimmy Hollywood!

He's also a great guitar player (Tyrades, White Savage, A/V Murder, Football).
Posted: Sep 2, 2011 8:13 pm

alpo
toody
whoever the ooga boogas (or whatever they're called now) used on romance and adventure.
Posted: Sep 2, 2011 8:39 pm

i think that would be rigid, who also played in a few other bands
Posted: Sep 2, 2011 9:25 pm

including the onyas?
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 12:17 am

Jesus - for once I agree with Nanne. What the fuck is going on here?

Jeremy Scott!
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 9:57 am

Jeremy Scott!

THIRDED!
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 12:49 pm

Jeremy is simply a great musician, even though a couple of the bands he has been in could be called "garage", he is more than that.

The phrase "best garage bass player" is akin to "best pole vaulter at the special olympics"
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 12:55 pm

you mean this guy, right?

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 1:59 pm

Sammy from Teengenerate
The guy from The Rezillos
Graham Maby from Joe Jackson Band
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 5:47 pm

talbot adams, anyone?
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 8:11 pm

talbot adams, anyone?

yep. seconded.
Posted: Sep 3, 2011 9:30 pm

For some reason...
Rob Wright of No Means No/Hanson Bros comes to mind... and who was that dude from Ed Hall?
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 1:08 am

Talbot and Graham Maby are the same guy I think.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 1:15 am

Eddie Shaw.
END OF THREAD.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 9:21 am

dude rules fer shure.

funny, i actually have to call him this week. woohoo! i'm a monk! we're all monks!
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 11:32 am

Jesus - for once I agree with Nanne. What the fuck is going on here?

Jeremy Scott!

Me, too. I know I've mentioned him before on another similar thread. Jeremy is a great musician and very nice guy.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 2:35 pm

me!
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 2:36 pm

and who was that dude from Ed Hall?

LARRY! he's amazing.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 2:48 pm

tim allee (pagans)
mirko ferslev (die ersten menschen//bikes) http://soundcloud.com/gimp-o-rama/die-ersten-menschen-you-better-satis fy
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 3:27 pm

Dee Dee Ramone
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 4:24 pm

Eddie Shaw.
END OF THREAD.

yep.
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 6:31 pm

Vadge Moore
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 8:06 pm

Vadge Moore

i cant tell if this post is a joke or a mistake
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 10:41 pm

It was a mistake. Whoever was on bass for Lucifer's Crank.
Posted: Sep 6, 2011 7:43 am

Richard Hell
Posted: Sep 8, 2011 12:29 am | Edited by: ihatethebeatles

Tom Jorgensen of The Swingin' Neckbreakers

Posted: Sep 8, 2011 1:57 pm

I like whover's playing in Rivercity Tanlines now. The 45s and Mondo Topless have good bass players as far as recent bands go.
Posted: Sep 8, 2011 3:09 pm

Richard Hell

dick hell was a shitty bass player. great songwriter, great band, shitty bass player.
Posted: Sep 9, 2011 9:20 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Eh...Hell was a great bass player....he left Television because they were winy guitar players....dude, a good bass player can only take so much bullshit.

He gave Robert Quine a chance, who else would have given a lawyer in his 30's a lead guitar spot like that...he was a good bass player.

Don't listen to those Television hacks BradX.
Posted: Sep 9, 2011 9:26 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh yeah, had a long heart to heart with the bass player from The 45s once...he realy helped put some stuff into perspective for me. Without going into details I'll just say it involves Duff McKagan, a leather jacket, and cream.
Posted: Sep 9, 2011 2:02 pm

hell's bass playing was weak. listen to the shit he did with the heartbreakers, any more than 4 notes and he fell apart. yeah, most great songs are only 4 notes, that doesnt make him a good bass player. great songwriter and lyricist, shitty bass player.
Posted: Sep 9, 2011 2:11 pm

the dude from the beguiled
Posted: Sep 9, 2011 3:15 pm

the dude from the cormans
Posted: Sep 10, 2011 10:02 am

well, if "garage" bass player means self-taught as a teenager, then I guess Duck Dunn is the best...dude destroys things on this:
Posted: Sep 11, 2011 8:36 am

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 11:41 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

listen to the shit he did with the heartbreakers, any more than 4 notes and he fell apart.

Uh dude...that was Thunders shittiest playing also for the most part. You do that much junk and anything more than four notes makes you fall apart. Bad example.
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 12:42 pm

he is decent at best. even sid vicious was a better bass player.
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 2:41 pm

You're crazy...

The Heartbreakers are notorious for not being able to get through a whole fucking show...and you're going to site that as evidence of his technique?
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 4:46 pm

he isnt that good of a bass player, like i said, sid vicious was better
Posted: Sep 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Posted: Sep 13, 2011 9:01 am

Well BradX as in all things, you're entiled to your own misguided opinion. I don't think Sid Vicious is realy comparable.
Posted: Sep 13, 2011 9:25 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

since "garage" is being given a very wide window for definition, I nominate Memphian Todd Park ...dude is a monster bass player, although it is hard to hear on a flipcamera...the fact he can lock in and not get outpaced/lost with a genius drummer like rockbert makes him an amazing bass player by default
Posted: Sep 13, 2011 11:45 am

who's this bass player? dude shreds.

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®