Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / UK Independent Record Labels are Fucked
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 7:40 am

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 9:16 am

I checked under my bed...all my records are still safe...and I found a hundred more Dan Melchior....ha ha ha..fuck you Get Hip.
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 9:58 am

fuuuuuuuuuuuucked!
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 10:11 am

time to take out a loan, buy all remaining stock in the US of the lost titles and sell at inflated prices. USA! USA! USA!
Posted: Aug 9, 2011 12:38 pm

The worst part of all this rioting bollocks is that I couldn't pick my glasses up from the optician because it was shut, and Tescos was also shut. I didn't want anything there, but that's not the point!
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 6:58 pm

truly sucks. Had drinks earlier with an old Brit friend. Insurance will cover the losses but it sets back releases, recording and continuity in a huge way. It just sucks.
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Sad Day for Sad Day for Puppets
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 9:19 pm

whatever. any label big enough to use a warehouse space owned by sony for their records/cd's and with insurance to cover the cost of having them remanufactured will be fine.
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Sure, Brad. A bunch of rich folks that dont care about music. You want Crider's number to speak about the Belliingham warehouse fire?
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

well, i doubt it was a sony warehouse and unfortunately i do not believe he was insured, yet estrus is still going strong. i lost almost all my belongings to fire once too, it sucks but i got over it. we are talking about a sony warehouse here, and the article says the records and cds were insured. any label that was doing well before should be fine.
Posted: Aug 10, 2011 10:20 pm

i am not trying to be a dick and i am sorry if anyone here was personally affected, just saying the labels will be reimbursed for the cost of manufacturing replacements, they will repress, and life will go on. they also generate publicity and public sympathy. and i stand by my earlier statement, the small label with a handful of releases will be fine. shit, i have over 10,000 records sitting right here next to me in this room! they dont take up that much space. any label that can afford warehouse space from sony to store their backstock will be fine, thats what insurance is for.
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 7:51 am

Now you can donate money to all of these labels that are probably insured!
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 8:41 am

Sure, Brad. A bunch of rich folks that dont care about music. You want Crider's number to speak about the Belliingham warehouse fire?

Most of Estrus / Criders stock was at Mordam in SF, CA. -- Not saying the fire wasn't bad, but he also had a huge group of people that stepped forward to help.
I would put Rough Trade going under as a bigger deal in the early 90s. That put many small labels out of business.
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 9:26 am

i am not trying to be a dick and i am sorry if anyone here was personally affected, just saying the labels will be reimbursed for the cost of manufacturing replacements, they will repress, and life will go on. they also generate publicity and public sympathy. and i stand by my earlier statement, the small label with a handful of releases will be fine. shit, i have over 10,000 records sitting right here next to me in this room! they dont take up that much space. any label that can afford warehouse space from sony to store their backstock will be fine, thats what insurance is for.

This is such a dopey response, I don't even know where to begin.

1. Yes, the labels are likely insured. However, have you ever tried to collect from an insurance company? Were you made whole? Did you have to fight, kick and scream for every dollar? Did you get your money in a timely fashion? Insurance companies don't magically give you all your money the instant you need it. These labels have to deal with cash flow issues. Also, you think its going to be easy to re-press your stock when literally HUNDREDS of labels are trying to do the same thing?

2. And I love your "publicity and public sympathy" argument. BULLSHIT! Yeah, this fire was a great thing! We get all our CDs magically re-pressed instantly thanks to the generous insurance companies and as a bonus, everyone that has always hated record companies will now change their minds and love us! Woo-hoo!

3. Who cares if Sony owned the warehouse? Did you look at the list of labels? Basically, every small label in the UK uses this warehouse. Sony's ownership is completely irrelevant.

4. Finally, my favorite quote from you is: "any label that was doing well before should be fine." Right, because all indie labels are doing great these days.
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 1:39 pm

I was originally not feeling very sympathetic, because some of the label people had already expressed that they would be able to land on their feet with insurance money. However, I didn't think about the effect the fire would have on backstock and nearly OOP materials.

"Hey I just discovered this band on your label and now I want to buy all their older records!"
"Well, here's bad news. We don't have that album and it might not ever be financially viable to repress"
sales=lost

plus this:
"any label that was doing well before should be fine." Right, because all indie labels are doing great these days.
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 5:59 pm

my favorite quote from me was : "i have over 10,000 records sitting right here next to me in this room! they dont take up that much space."

gee, sorry i am not crying for labels and their nearly oop releases who are not doing so great these days but can still afford space for their backstock in an insured warehouse owned by sony records.
Posted: Aug 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Brad, you really don't know what you are talking about. The records are not in the warehouse because the labels are so decadent not to store their records in their own offices. Rather, the records and CDs are in the warehouse because PIAS is their distributor. PIAS sends the records out to stores. It makes sense to house them there.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 1:34 am

i really dont give a shit but you sure do seem determined to enlighten me.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 7:44 am

WAIT, let's get a little perspective here:
"XL Recordings, Beggars, Domino, Wall Of Sound, Warp Defected, Sunday Best and Big Brother".

Who gives a shit?

Were there any GOOD "Independent Labels" affected?
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 7:52 am

Well yeah I kept my mouth shut, but it sounded like all Sony subsideraries to me as well....but whatever, I'm not out to be crass (this week anyway).
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:16 am

My last point on all of this: Over 100 labels had their entire stock wiped out. Most have NOTHING to do with Sony. Some were good. Some were not. They are:

4AD, A Camp, Absynthe Minded, Accidental, AEI Music, Air Recordings, ALC Music, Alsation, Ambush Reality, Ancient & Modern, Angular Recording Corporation, Arcady Records, Ark Recordings, Asthmatic Kitty Records, Atlantic Jaxx Recordings, Bad Magic, Balling The Jack, Banquet Records, Battered Ornaments Records, Beggars Banquet, Best Before, Big Brother, Big Dada, Bird Records, blackmaps, Bloody Chamber, Blowout Music, Blue Chopsticks, Border Community, Borstal Beats, Boysnoize Records, BPM, Brainfeeder, Brassland, Bright Star Recordings, Brille, Broken Sound Music, Bronzerat, Brothers and Sisters, Brownswood Recordings, Buzzin' Fly, Cache Cache, Cadenza Records, Celluloid Records, Chalkmark / IE, Chemikal Underground Records, Cocoon, Control Tower, Counter Records, Dance To The Radio, Dead Oceans, Deceptive, Defenders Ent UK, DESOLAT, Dessous, Different, Dirtee Stank, Divine Comedy Records, Domino Records, Double Six Records, Drag City, Dreambrother, Drive Thru Records, Drowned In Sound, Dummy Records, Duophonic, Eat Sleep Records, Fabric Worldwide, Fake Diamonds, FantasyTrashcan, Fatcat Records, Fence, Feraltone, Finders Keepers Records, Flock Music, Flying Circus, Freerange Records, Friends Vs Records, Full Pupp, Full Time Hobby, Gang Of Four Recordings, Geographic, Ghost Ship, Glaze Recordings, Groenland Records, G-Unit, Hardly Art, Hassle Records, Helpless, Hem Hem Records, HFN Music, Immune, Independiente, Infant, Infectious, Jagjaguwar, Kartel, Kitchenware, Kitsune, KMS Records / Fabric, Laughing Stock, Lex Records, Lipservice, Little Sister Recordings, LO-MAX Records, Loose Music, Lovepump United, Low life Records, Lucky Number Music, Lucky Seven Records, Mantra, Matador, Memphis Industries, Merok, Metric Music International, Metroline Limited, Model Citizen, Moikai, Motion Audio, MyMajorLabel Ltd, Nation, Ninja Tune, No Quarter, NovaMute, Nusic Sounds, One Four Seven Records Ltd, One Little Indian, Organs, Outcaste, OVNI, P.I.L., Peartree Records, PeMa, People In The Sky, People Tree, Pirates Blend Records Inc, Planet Function, Play It Again Sam, Playlouder, Poker Flat, Polyvinyl Records, Poseidon Records, Post Present, Pschent, Raw Canvas, Red Cord Records, REK'D, Rekids, Rekords Rekords, Renaissance, Reveal Records, Riverman Records, Rock Action Records, Roots Records, Rough Trade Records, Rubyworks, Sea Note, Search and Destroy, Secretly Canadian, Setanta, Shape, SideOneDummy Records, Silva Screen, Slam Dunk Records, Smekkleysa, Soma, Sonic Cathedral, Soul Jazz Records, South Paw, Southern Fried Records, Stereo Bang Media, Stolen Recordings, Stranger Records, Streamline, Sub Pop, Suicide Squeeze, Sunday Best, Thrill Jockey, Tirk, Too Pure, Torque Records, Touch & Go Records, Transmission Recordings, Tri Tone, Trouble Records, True Panther, Try Harder, Turnstile, Twisted Nerve Recordings, Universal Sound, Victory Records, Wagram, Wall of Sound, WARP, Watergate, We Love You, Wiiija, Willkommen Records Ltd, Wonderfulsound, XL, Xtra Mile Recordings, Yaala Yaala, Young Turks
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:50 am

Which one is Madonna's vanity label? That's all I care about.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:51 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I thought Rough Trade went out of business years ago...wtf?
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks for the list but for the non-English labels, wouldn't the loss just be the copies that were warehoused there, not necessarily their entire stock?

No better, I know but small comfort anyway.

I'm going to see what "Honest Jon" has to say about it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm

judging from that list it looks like they did the world a favor in 95% of cases.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 3:09 pm

I didn't see Damaged Goods records in that list.
Posted: Aug 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for the list but for the non-English labels, wouldn't the loss just be the copies that were warehoused there, not necessarily their entire stock?

Correct. Please refer to the title of the thread.
Posted: Aug 13, 2011 3:59 pm

I hope there were no copieS of "lucifer's crank" in there, because I really need an upgraded copy.
Posted: Aug 13, 2011 4:24 pm

I love bradx. If I recall correctly, didn't he deliberately burn up the back copies of Kryptonite records because nobody was buying them?
Posted: Aug 13, 2011 4:33 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

wouldn't the loss just be the copies that were warehoused there, not necessarily their entire stock

thank jeebus, I would hate to think of a world where a vinyl copy of Locust Abortion Technician couldn't be easily obtainable...
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 2:15 am

If I recall correctly, didn't he deliberately burn up the back copies of Kryptonite records because nobody was buying them?

no. my friend roy started the kryptonite label. he lived in milwaukee with his girlfriend wendy. when they broke up he came to stay with us, we offered to pick up his shit and he said "consider it gone". well, we stayed friends with wendy and after several years she offered the kryptonite backstock to me, the records i had played on. we drove down and picked them up. a couple months later roy showed up again and wanted money for his abandoned property, and i offered to give him a couple bucks whenever shit sold. that turned into him asking for and eventually expecting cash every couple weeks, and i got sick of dealing with it and after he stole my christmas present from my wife shortly after our wedding i burned the records so i wouldnt have to deal with drunken middle of the night phone calls every week demanding money. i offered 10 records for $5 for two weeks and then burned most of the rest of the records. the fact is there were hundreds left over and i didnt feel like dealing with them for the next decade, i also figured by making them less available perhaps it would make them more collectable and that would benefit us all in the long run, and i believe it has as clearly it has become a story of internet folklore legend...
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Were there any GOOD "Independent Labels" affected?

Soul Jazz
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®