Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rob Grill , Grass Roots singer goner at age 67
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm

his wife reports -"My dear husband Robert Frank Grill, 67, of Mt Dora, Fl passed away peacefully in my arms at 11:37 a.m. (EST), while listening to one of his favorite songs..."Let's Live for Today." He loved his fans and he loved The Grass Roots! Thank you for all of your prayers, love and support during this time.
Nancy Grill"
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 4:29 pm

oh man.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 4:43 pm

The first band I ever saw performed on a flat bed truck and played "Midnight Confessions" three times. It's still an awesome song/record.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 5:57 pm

great band too bad he didnt write any of their good songs
Posted: Jul 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Great singer, great band.
Yeah, "Midnight Confessions" was a cover, but they nailed it.
RIP.
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 2:53 pm

played "Midnight Confessions" three times

Kick ass. RIP
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

R.I.P.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Me7_uZ4G19E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
A "musicologist" argued with me that P.F. Sloan wrote "Let's Live For Today" for the Grass Roots. When I proved to him the Rokes actually wrote it, he was pissed.
If you ask me, they both ripped off the Drifters...
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rQBRkE3aCCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Thought you could post youtubes now. Retry...
R.I.P.

A "musicologist" argued with me that P.F. Sloan wrote "Let's Live For Today" for the Grass Roots. When I proved to him the Rokes actually wrote it, he was pissed.
If you ask me, they both ripped off the Drifters...
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 4:00 pm

If you ask me, they both ripped off the Drifters
I think there was actually a law suit over this. I seem to remember (I might be in error though)that "Let's Live For Today" was originally an Italian song and The Grass Roots version was an English lyrics rewrite. Trivia: the original name of Love(the Arthur Lee/Bryan MacLean band) was The Grass Roots but they did not legally protect the name.
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm

I'm glad Arthur backed off and went with Love.

Tried to check on the lawsuit thing and found this...

"Following its success on the Italian charts, plans were made to release "Piangi Con Me" in the United Kingdom and as a result, the song was translated into English and given the new title of "Passing Thru Grey".[6] However, the song's publisher in Britain, Dick James Music, was unhappy with the lyrics of "Passing Thru Grey" and decided that they should be changed.[6] Michael Julian, a member of the publisher's writing staff, was assigned the task of composing new words for the song and it was his input that transformed it into "Let's Live for Today".[6] Before the Rokes could release the song in the UK, however, another British group named The Living Daylights released a version of it.[6] Ultimately, neither The Living Daylights nor the Rokes would reach the charts with their recording of the song.

In the United States, the Rokes version of "Let's Live for Today" found its way to the head of Dunhill Records, who felt that the song would make a suitable single release for The Grass Roots.[1] The composer/producer team of P. F. Sloan and Steve Barri, who managed The Grass Roots' recordings, were also enthusiastic about the song, with Sloan being particularly enamored with the similarities that the song's chorus had to The Drifters' "I Count the Tears".[1] "Let's Live for Today" was duly recorded by The Grass Roots, with the help of a number of studio musicians, including Sloan on lead guitar, and was released as a single in May 1967.[1][2] The lead vocal on The Grass Roots' recording was sung by the band's bassist Rob Grill[1] and the distinctive "1-2-3-4" count-in before the chorus was sung by guitarist Warren Entner."
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Ha! English version...
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 5:11 pm

I have always thought that vis a vis the Drifters tune. Good call.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®