Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Chubby Checker and Ben E King.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 1:58 am

Not a big fan of either one : Discuss if you muss! ( Chubby Checker and The Fat Boys...i give that some credit.)
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 2:30 am

flipside is even better, my little girl, but can't find it
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 2:33 am

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 2:34 am

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 2:36 am

Dave the Spazz played this one last week
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 2:37 am

can't find any clip from Chubby's great psych LP...
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 8:27 am

"Karate Monkey" might be the only song by Chubby that I ever wanted to hear a second time (and even then, it's charms wear thin). There's something loathsome about the man (even beyond his string of Twist recordings). I'm indifferent to Ben E. King, but do dig this side:
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 8:43 am

will never understand the fascination with "Karate Monkey". Should forever be a $4 record. Meh.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 9:22 am

i like the drifters enough, but rarely listen anymore. never really got into anything by chubby checker, but never really tried. i remember reading an interview with him once where he was saying he wished he'd never done "the twist" because it ruined his career. hopefully he got paid appropriately, but he could never get away from that song.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 9:41 am

I once heard a story of Chubby Checker about 10 years ago being asked to do a radio ID for an oldies stations and he got pissed off and exclaimed he was not an "oldies" artist. WTF? He refused to do the ID because he thought he was a current, relevant artist with a new hit right around the corner? Delusional. He should thank God he became the "twist" guy, otherwise he would be just be an obscure R&B artist only known by record collectors.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 10:02 am

chubby's "the fly" rules.
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am

Posted: Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm

"Spanish Harlem" is the best thing Ben E. King ever did.
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 12:06 pm

gotta say, i've been diggin' that "love tunnel" song by chubby!
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 12:42 pm

I like Chubby's "Run, Chico, Run" from his "Let's Limbo Some More" album. Yes.
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Ben E. King rules. There is no youtube for it but his "Let The Water Run Down" is fucking killer.
As well as this...

The organ solo about a minute in kills!

will never understand the fascination with "Karate Monkey". Should forever be a $4 record. Meh.
Agreed.
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Posted: Jul 23, 2011 6:48 am

Ben E.King wrote this one but did he record it?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®