Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Surfing Goners?
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 1:41 am

anyone on here ride a surfboard ??

... if so I just wanted to let you know the east coast of Australia has had the best 2 months of perfect 6-8ft surf i can remember
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 5:07 am

I wanna come and get a lesson, you have to drive so far away from Melbourne to get anything. Don't like to be that far from The Tote usually.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 10:27 am

yes.
And I just want to let you know that the east coast of North Carolina has been in a maybe knee-high slop fest for the past two months...which is pretty typical this time of year...

that said, I just got a new mini-simmons shaped which is helping me cope with the dribble...

here's to hoping for an early hurricane season.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Yes.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Surfing MONKEYS are cooler.
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 8:25 pm

yes.
And I just want to let you know that the east coast of North Carolina

i was in NC last Sept just before Gonerfest but didn't have time to get to the coast - I'll probably have more time this year so I might try to get over to the outer banks for a few days... but I reckon the cold water will scare me off (the coldest the water gets here is about 70 degrees)
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 10:23 pm

yessir...i lived (and surfed) in Wrightsville Beach when the water hit about 45...gave me ice cream headaches on duck dives even with a hood on....Ocean Beach in San Francisco was it's own beast...way more powerful, and unforgiving...up in Oregon now, get out a few times a year on my 7'4" Gerry lopez cheater-thing...
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 10:50 pm

yeah, but it's been years... loved pictures of Cape Hatteras in Surfer growing up. 2 months of straight swell would be awesome.

Smashed a ceramic surfing monkey on a bad, bad day...
Posted: Jun 13, 2011 10:58 pm

goddamnit, i've been looking for one ever since the last time i went to ensenada and my dad wouldn't let me buy one. i've checked ebay and everything. i surfed venice beach when i was twelve. i almost even stood up!
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 12:32 am | Edited by: eric o

http://www.surfmonkeyfellowship.com/?page_id=591

Probably double (triple?) what you would pay in Tijuana, plus $30 shipping! But you can have your SURFING MONKEY!
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 6:28 am

outer banks
S-Turns in Rodanthe..September is prime for surf (hurricane season) and the Banks usually go off...when they're not getting clobbered. Best part is, if one spot north is side/onshore, you can usually head south and catch it offshore(Frisco).

i lived (and surfed) in Wrightsville Beach
no shit? Still live here...in Wilmington. Hitting up CB a lot these days...good sandbars...Topsail too. Water temp hit 43 this winter...brutal!
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 10:13 am

http://www.surfmonkeyfellowship.com/?page_id=591

!!!
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 10:29 am

no shit? Still live here...in Wilmington.
Ha...we prob. know some of the same heads, I lived there from 93-94, when the Ramphouse bowl in Carolina beach was going strong...I know Bailey is still lurking out there, Miller's in CO, Thomas is out here, Drake moved back after a west coast jaunt and has been doing pretty well I hear....you ever skate Swinson?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/mattohowe/Swinson_13.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/mattohowe/Swinson_2.jpg
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 11:33 am

looks awesome... DIY?
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Ha...we prob. know some of the same heads
ok...put it together!
Drake and I moved out to San Diego and came up to
San Francisco for a wknd...about 11 years ago. That was you, right? We both moved back in 2001. He's got his shop going (Top Notch Automotive). Surfed with him on Sunday down at Carolina Beach. Funny you mention Bailey, we ran into him at lunch that day...had his hands full with his two girls!

What little skating ability I could muster up died at the Skatebarn (ramps from Ramphouse) in Hampstead about 5 years ago...but yeah, I hit up the Ramphouse a few times and Swinson's once or twice...

I hear Drake is still killing it at the parks around town...there's a city park by Greenfield Lake, a Carolina Beach park, the Skate Barn, and Reggie Barnes has that setup over at Eastern Skate Supply...
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Charlie don't surf!
Posted: Jun 14, 2011 9:37 pm

looks awesome... DIY?

Don't think so, believe it was a legit 70's surf dog park..it was awesome....flying by those trees on those snake runs made it feel like you were going 100 mph...they dozed it right after i moved away cuz some kids dad shattered his leg in 13 places and sued the city...there were a handful of those type of parks around we used to hit...Landsdowne in Maryland, and Magic in Reading PA (see photos)...Groholski always used to tell us about that Get-Away park in Alabama, think there's even some youtube footage of it...huge and insane..

Groholski in the Kink-Sink at the Reading park
http://vimeo.com/10362857
Reading Stills..
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/mattohowe/Groholski_Reading.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/mattohowe/ReadingSnake.jpg

Landsdowne (Bert skills a must)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/mattohowe/lansdowne-skatepark6. jpg

Getaway- those pits were DEEP...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/mattohowe/Getaway.jpg

Benwah - yeah, I remember that trip, totally spaced it up until now...I've known that fucker since we used to skate each other's ramps in Florida in like...shit...84?....small world...tell him I said hey..
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 9:25 am

Charlie don't surf!

1st Cav motherfuckers!

Oh yeah, and I'm saving up some monies in my busted black chinese woman piggy bank for that surfin monkey.
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 9:46 pm

some kids dad shattered his leg in 13 places
i'd kill to see this. (squares eating it!)
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:16 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

(squares eating it!)

Dear Pot: You're a fucking mormon who puppy sits.
Posted: Jun 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Sister puppies..
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 6:36 am

they dozed it right after i moved away
yeah, Matto...a while back there was an eastern surf/skate forum on the innernet and a bunch of the Morehead/EI surf/skate crew posted a whole slew of pics from Swinsons....sure it's still somewhere

get over to the outer banks for a few days... but I reckon the cold water will scare me off

you should be good in trunks and maybe a top through September from Frisco up to Rodanthe. There's crazy upwellings that come through and you can get a water temp drop and be in a full suit Nags Head and points north. Just depends. I was in Rodanthe last year first week of October in a short sleeve full. Never dropped below chest high. About a 7.5 hr straight shot to Nags Head from Asheville if you're coming east I guess...

Lots of videos and stuff from Hurricane Earl last year online

good overview of the Banks from two of the best surfers from there...
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 7:35 am

when the Ramphouse bowl in Carolina beach was going

Ramp house Chet Childress 1993
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 8:22 am

I don't even like taking showers.
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 8:39 am

Ramp house Chet Childress 1993

Yep...Chet's out here in Portland now...I've got a ton of footage on VHS from that period somewhere...bowl sessions esp. That Hatteras stuff is great, had a couple of great sessions at Nag's Head when I lived there..
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 2:51 pm

I don't even like taking showers.

It's sometimes hard to identify crusty surfers in the water.
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 5:37 pm

you should be good in trunks and maybe a top through September from Frisco up to Rodanthe

it's likely to be late Sept (after Gonerfest) what temp do you think the water would be in NC that time of year?

here's some photos of the break about 1/2 mile from my house
http://smarta.com.au/lennox_surf/
it's a long rocky right hand point - one of the best in OZ and fairly consistant all year but a bitch to get in and out over the barnicale covered boulders that line the point
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 7:45 am | Edited by: benwah

here's some photos of the break about 1/2 mile from my house
wow! some bombs!

what temp do you think the water would be in NC that time of year?

I'd say mid-70s...but just in case, i'd bring a 1mil top or spring suit if you can do it.
Here's a couple good sites I use to check the surf up there...all with cameras, daily reports, etc.

camera right on Rodanthe
[url=http://www.obxlivesurf.com/][/url]

This is in Duck, north of Nags Head...
[url=http://www.obxsurfinfo.com/surf-report/detailed-report][/url]

This gives you a report from Virginia Beach, KDH, and the Lighthouse, so you see how broad range in water temps that is...from currents/upwelling...
[url=http://www.surfkdh.com/surftemplate.html][/url]

and here we are in flats-ville beach...another day of grovelling...
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 7:51 am | Edited by: benwah

Posted: Jun 17, 2011 3:38 pm

LENNOX HEAD?

Shit, after Kirra, Burleigh Head, and what, Shark Island?, an Australian spot I've been eyeballing from magazines & wanting to surf my whole life. Wow!

Paddling out with Brett_S guarantees me at least one wave, right?
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm

LENNOX HEAD?

yep

paddling out with Brett_S guarantees me at least one wave, right?

I've been surfing the place for over 25 years and I still gotta battle for waves these days - it gets so fucking crowded these days - like 100 guys on a good day - the crowds thins out a lot when it gets over 8ft though - but I have my spot in the 'pecking order' so I'll see ya right for a couple

Eric you should come on over ! y'all can stay at my place - there are heaps of great waves around here and Kirra, Burleigh & Super Bank are all only 1 hrs drive
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Sounds great! Gotta let the little one grow for a second, get some more time back in the water, and then I'm all over it.

Grew up at the beach. But it's been a long time between go-outs here in Memphis. Last time I went surfing my brother took me out to about 6 foot Laniakea in Hawaii. Really fun trying to figure out everything again in front of tons of other surfers- I would have preferred to go hide at some crappy break and fall by myself- but that wave is pretty nice to mess around on.

Anyway, never liked the hassle of crowds. Surfing is too much fun to be mixed up with fighting & assholes.
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 8:23 pm

well - I just got back from a Saturday morning surf - 4-6ft offshore at the back beach of lennox head called Boulders Beach with only about 8 locals - so you still get lucky sometimes

but as you'll see from this video it quite easy to "unlucky" at Boulders Beach
Posted: Jun 17, 2011 10:59 pm

uh, yeah! That will keep a couple of groms out of the lineup for sure.
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 8:15 am

Australia is definitely on my short list for surf trips. This year was Nicaragua which was a blast and super cheap. Then there's Indo which looks to be 2013 to ring in 40 right!
While memphis to nags head is no quick drive, off season rates can be pretty cheap and there are camping/ cabin options. Good chance of waves too.
In other words: Get in the water!
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 8:39 am

Oz
I see those pics of Lennox and am like "I want to surf some of that!"
Then I see pics of a place like 'Ours' and I'm like
"I never want any of that!"
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

but as you'll see from this video it quite easy to "unlucky" at Boulders Beach
Oh man...harsh...
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Then I see pics of a place like 'Ours' and I'm like
"I never want any of that!"

both Ours & Shark Island are in the area where I grew up in Sydney - I left there about 25 years ago - no-one ever surfed Ours (or Cape Solander as it's really called) and very few surfed Shark Island in those days. Both those places are mental !!
Posted: Jun 21, 2011 11:49 am

Going surfing in Costa Rica tomorrow. Today its beer and bungee jumping. Tonight its weed and women. Tomorrow...surfing complete with nice riptides for that extra challenge. Fun...
Posted: Jul 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I hate to gloat but still the "winter of our much content" continues - the past few weeks the surf here has been pretty much mind blowingly amazing - warm water, offshore winds and a 4-6ft s/e swell that just won't quit

here's some footage of the point break walking distance from my house
http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=9169&cateId=3& display=0&title=Classic%20south%20swell%20lines%20up%20North%20Coast%2 0points
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 8:02 am

I am definitely in the wrong hemisphere/continent right now...flat and ball-soakingly hot....
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 9:41 am

I learned to skate at what is euphemistically referred to here as Woking Park. I think the location might have moved, but the ramps are probably the same slippery metal ones with massive coping, and the potential to fuck up my ankles even more than they are now is probably still there too.
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 1:45 am

Skated all the spot's you guys have been talking about down around Wrightsville etc. I used to come down from the mountains and skate with Scott Renner from Brickbat. You guys remember them? Here's a link to something my friends and I are working on in Asheville. Get stoked! http://thrashville.blogspot.com/
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 7:29 am

Jeezus Brett! And when Mick Fanning and pals show up there's any waves left?
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 10:49 am

Scott Renner from Brickbat.
holy shit...yeah, I saw them and skated with him I'm pretty sure, they used to play with my friends All Tore Up...Rob Scull and crew...still have a flyer somewhere..
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Brickbat
Loved Brickbat! Scott Jones has been drumming in Hank IV for a while now, I think. Drake was saying Rob Scull and Brian Shaver (Buzz Junkies) are back playing again...
All Tore Up still pops up for shows once in a while...
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Jeezus Brett! And when Mick Fanning and pals show up there's any waves left?

it gets a bit crazy out there at times but Mick and a few of the other pros who surf there quite a bit are pretty cool & not too greedy - it's the guys with the 'tude without the talent that cause the most problems

there is a bit of a pecking order out there but luckily I am a long term local so I still get my share
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 9:13 am

All Tore Up were great, also loved Rural Swine. Good times. Talk to Scott Jones fairly regular, as well as James Sardone and Renner. All are still playing.
Posted: Jul 31, 2011 8:17 pm

and still we've got great waves - best winter EVER !!

http://vimeo.com/26320701
Posted: Aug 3, 2011 2:47 pm

holy shit brett.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 1:50 am

fuck me ... I hate to labour a point (pardon the pun) but this was Lennox Point 2 days ago

http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=9300&cateId=3& display=0&title=Winter%20Sun%20Far%20North%20Coast

I repeat .... best winter EVER !!
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 7:34 am

Fuckin Surfin Monkey still out of my budget....I can't get ahead in this world.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:02 am

Hopefully a good effect of global warming... enjoy that shit. while 99% of the world gets a kick out of wobbling around in feeble crap...
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:48 am

Jesus....goddamn cape St. Francis from Endless Summer, but bigger.....reeling. I love it when the offshores are blowing so hard you can hardly see the wave when you're paddling..
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:54 am

kick out of wobbling around in feeble crap...

This is funny because just last night, I was in this neighborhood that had it's raw sewage main break, and after the fire department fixed it, I got lost in the shit. My car was sliding around in raw human poop...if I had crashed it would have sucked. It was block after block of poo....it gives me cold shivers thinking about it.
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 9:55 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh you said "feeble" I thought you meant "fecal."

I still aint gonna wash my car.
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 2:25 pm

while 99% of the world gets a kick out of wobbling around in feeble crap...
ah, but there is hope...TS Irene is coming barreling thru...giving us the opportunity of some decent surf this week...first decent size all summer.
Crossing fingers that the wind cooperates, because 12 ft @ 16 secs with a 25 mph onshore/side wind isn't much fun....a lot of places will be close out city anyway...
Posted: Aug 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Billabong Pro is going on now with macking surf headed into Teahupo this week. All full heats on demand for round 1 (lay day today):
BillabongPro

I still can't believe the highest purse ($1 million) on the ASP tour is in New York (Montauk Sept. 4-15). I guess that's the only way you could get pros to come surf east coast dribble. Of course maybe Surfline has a hurricane swell penciled in for that time frame which is great for us too...
Posted: Aug 25, 2011 9:22 am

finally! Surf is up...5-6 ft groundswell @ 14 secs.Light to no wind, which is pretty lucky. Today is the day as the weekend is going to shit.
Posted: Aug 25, 2011 5:04 pm

get it.
Posted: Aug 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm not a surfer but I did stop by to check out The Wedge when we were in Newport Beach. At only ~6 ft waves it was something to see. I can barely imagine the 20 footers I read about.
Posted: Aug 25, 2011 8:13 pm

That paddle over to Masonboro should be fun tomorrow...
Posted: Aug 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Surfin' Cajuns. Hang ten, brah!

Posted: Aug 26, 2011 7:57 am

the second vid doesn't get good until 2:46
Posted: Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm

can barely imagine

yeah, when you get into that to bodysurf it's a whole 'nother thing.

i was at the North Shore once when the surf was up and did not even want to go in above my knees.
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 5:43 pm

this was fukin mental !!

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 12:07 am

uh, wow.
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 7:58 am

Dude I had to turn the music down on that vid...is it Black Crowes?
Posted: Aug 30, 2011 10:04 am

On my bucket list of things NOT to do in this lifetime, towing in backside on massive Teahupoo might just be number 1..
Posted: Aug 31, 2011 12:46 am

EVERYONE was backside... insane. I don't know how they survived some of those wipeouts. That's a LOT of water moving around over what has to be shallow reef.
Posted: Sep 1, 2011 9:26 pm

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 7:30 am

Wedge is pumping!!
wow!
Residents finally getting back on the Outer Banks starting Sunday.
Irene washed out hwy 12 in a couple of places...basically a new friggin inlet on Pea Island, and a breach near S-Turns in Rodanthe...

should be some surf from Katia next week, but a tough time of getting to it south of Nags Head....

more wash out pics
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 8:17 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

http://www.banksbanksbanks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Surfing+Monkey

I've been waiting to post this link because this company gets such bad customer reviews on the net. But I'm happy to say that mine arrived in one piece and they even fucked up and didn't charge me shipping.

All I paid was 19 dollars including shipping....I feel like I got it for Tijuana prices. If I didn't already have a crazy Mexican themed bull fighting and velvet paintings living room, I probbably could have let this go....Merry Christmas.
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I bought this for myself for a xmas present

no soundtrack & other bullshit just amazing footage !!
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 3:16 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I'm not even into surfing...I just already have a big collection of rediculous mexican plaster sculptures / banks, so of course I've had my eye out for a deal on that one.

That giant pig one is pretty awesome also.
Posted: Dec 22, 2011 4:44 pm

they even fucked up and didn't charge me shipping.

I want one but their site says $160 to ship to Australia - fark!

I have emailed them to get a proper shipping price - he'll look good with my monkey & tiki collection
Posted: Jan 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 12:42 am

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 3:58 pm

very nice!
Posted: Apr 29, 2014 8:55 am

This is funny because just last night, I was in this neighborhood that had it's raw sewage main break, and after the fire department fixed it, I got lost in the shit. My car was sliding around in raw human poop...if I had crashed it would have sucked. It was block after block of poo....it gives me cold shivers thinking about it.

I completely forgot about this...good times, good times.

I tried to give my surfing monkey to Eric and he wouldn't take it because he is such a nice guy.
Posted: Feb 18, 2015 10:44 pm

now I've seen everything!!

surfing at The Pass at Byron Bay (Australia) today with the usual crowd of 100 or so idiots, surf was 4' or so' and the rip was really strong - while padding my butt out to get back out the back this guy on a longboard cruises past me with his arms folded - moving about twice the speed most people could paddle (even without the rip)

the fucking thing had a motor in it !!

I gave me a horrible vision of the future
Posted: Apr 4, 2017 9:46 pm

For those of us too drunk to stand on a surfboard but still want to git out on the waves...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®