Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Classic Rock you been diggin!
Posted: May 27, 2011 1:27 am

Yea, I just made a mix cd via Itunes, but I been likin Jimi Hendrix's Burning of the Midnight Lamp... CCR's Bootleg, Jethro Tull's Teacher and Fatman. Tomorrow it might be Daddy Dewdrop....!!!!???? Stay rad Goner bra's!!
Posted: May 27, 2011 6:17 am

I'm listening to a bunch of new wave right now
the fixx
missing persons
billy idol
ian hunter
pearl harbour and the explosions

this community radio station has the aids
Posted: May 27, 2011 6:20 am

Blue Oyster Cult "Tyranny and Mutation" pretty much the greatest album of all time.
Posted: May 27, 2011 7:29 am

Blue Oyster Cult "Tyranny and Mutation" pretty much the greatest album of all time.

Best Side One, anyway.
Posted: May 27, 2011 8:19 am | Edited by: ida slapter

I pretty much always listen to early Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest and Sacrilege. I honestly would rather listen to the first Cheap Trick LP over most of the records I own (and for a girl that is a crap ton).
I started running again and found that my time was much better if it was fueled by NWOBHM.
I secretly love Nazareth hair of the dog -- it pretty much transports me to being a little kid and playing my older brothers LP's.
Posted: May 27, 2011 9:25 am

Best Side One, anyway.

whatchoo talkin' about? "Wings Wetted Down", "Teen Archer"...whole LP is amazing
Posted: May 27, 2011 9:39 am

i can only tell you that i am NOT rocking pink floyd's dark side of the moon.
Posted: May 27, 2011 10:35 am

Just got the first HAWKWIND reissued on 4 men with beards and played the hell out of it!

that's a recommendation I'll have to check that out! I love some BOC but only have Secret Treaties and Agents of Fortune...
Posted: May 27, 2011 11:23 am

whatchoo talkin' about? "Wings Wetted Down", "Teen Archer"...whole LP is amazing

Yeah they're good, but you don't think they're a slight step down from "The Red & The Black" and "Hot Rails To Hell?"
OK, I know I am splitting hairs here.

that's a recommendation I'll have to check that out! I love some BOC but only have Secret Treaties and Agents of Fortune...

I am also partial to the first s/t, crappy production aside. Actually, that may be the secret weapon.
Posted: May 27, 2011 11:29 am

I honestly would rather listen to the first Cheap Trick LP over most of the records I own

Perfect record.
Posted: May 27, 2011 11:53 am

(takes deep breath) I have had to grudgingly admit that Hold On Loosely by 38 Special is one damn fine pop sing.
Posted: May 27, 2011 11:54 am

um, song.
Posted: May 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Jeremy, do you like the Stalk-Forrest group stuff? If you don't have it, I'll burn ya a copy and leave it in your box at the station. Very Byrdsian...an aspect they kinda did away with (until "...reaper" of course)
Posted: May 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Reading the Keef memoir has almost got me to reach for some STONES classic rock, but so far I'm resisting!
Posted: May 27, 2011 1:55 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Quicksilver Messenger Service "Happy Trails"
"Bang Bang , You're Terry Reid"
"Autumn Stone" The Small Faces
"Live Rust" Neil Young
"Country Life" Roxy Music
Posted: May 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Donkey posted a link to Foreigner's "Seventeen" off the Head Games album a few months ago.

That has become my (current) favorite song of all time.
Posted: May 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Slayer
Posted: May 27, 2011 4:03 pm

i can only tell you that i am NOT rocking pink floyd's dark side of the moon.

cosigned. literally NO good songs on that record.
Posted: May 27, 2011 5:04 pm | Edited by: Matto

Hot Rails to Hell!!
Posted: May 27, 2011 5:09 pm

"Bang Bang , You're Terry Reid" - check! - Small Faces "Small Faces" and Roxy Music's "Stranded" are also in the pile in front of the stereo, and Mott The Hoople's "Brain Capers" has seen a lot of turntable action recently.
Posted: May 27, 2011 6:52 pm

spirit
ten years after
sabbath
Posted: May 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Mott The Hoople's "Brain Capers" has seen a lot of turntable action recently.

so good. I had always been ho-hum about Mott the Hoople until I heard Brain Capers. After I heard how good it was I was puzzled why no one had ever recommended it or why I had never read/heard about before. Seems like it should be mentioned in the same breath with other "big" 70s rock LPs.
Posted: May 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Pulled out Uriah Heep's "look at yourself" the other day, mostly for laughs. Dude takes histrionic vocals to the next level. There is something undeniably likable about it too though. Over the top!
Posted: May 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Anyone else notice that as of recent, you only have like a minute to edit your post? It drives me nuts.
Posted: May 27, 2011 10:34 pm

other "big" 70s rock LPs.

Maybe everybody was disappointed that Ian had gone straight. That album is so rad.

I've been thinking a lot about We're An American Band and how many bands have covered it.
Raging Slab
Verbal Abuse
FUs (Straw Dogs)

There ought to be a cover compilation. I could listen to 20 versions of that song in one sitting.
Posted: May 27, 2011 10:59 pm

look at yourself is a lifetime favorite of mine. my mirror is shattered.
Posted: May 28, 2011 8:19 am

if only I knew where the Montrose s/t LP was chilling so I could wake everybody in this house up.
Posted: May 28, 2011 11:41 am

Didja ever notice that the lyrics to both Easy Livin' and Stealin' sound a lot like Christian rock?
Posted: May 28, 2011 11:53 am

spirit

This is the Dr. Sardonicus time of year around this house.
Posted: May 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Today it's: Deguello - ZZ Top...but that could be any day, of any week, of any month...of my entire life...or since around 1986 when I got my driver's license.

Anyone else completely annoyed by radio stations taking HUGE liberties with what is considered "classic rock" vs "oldies" in recent years? I think someone needs to lay down the law against blurring those lines. Sorry, the Fixx and U2 are NOT classic rock...and I actually heard Lynyrd Skynyrd and Eddie Money on the oldies station the other day...is NOTHING sacred or static anymore?

Get offa my lawn and pull up those pants!
Posted: May 28, 2011 7:02 pm

NOT rocking pink floyd's dark side of the moon.
I can ROCK Pipers at the Gates of Dawn and not feel shame.
Posted: May 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Anyone else completely annoyed by radio stations taking HUGE liberties with what is considered "classic rock" vs "oldies" in recent years?

My kid told me that Nirvana and Alice In Chains were classic rock.
Posted: May 28, 2011 10:24 pm

green river, hahaha, just got a new copy of their lp the other day, if nirvana and alice in chains are classic rock they definitely are
Posted: May 29, 2011 1:13 am

I get most of my Classic rock from the radio. Block party weekend going on of course. I didn't have it on long, though. 3-play from Tom Petty and another by Allman Brothers.

Now I'm home and just slapped on Band of Gypsys.
Posted: May 29, 2011 12:17 pm

ah, Easy Livin' is fine - is that on the Demons and Wizards LP?
Posted: May 31, 2011 12:58 am

Alice Cooper Band's "Love It To Death" to "Muscle Of Love". Pretty much all weekend long except for when I listened to the newish Feelies album and that bad ass OBN III's a few times each.
Posted: May 31, 2011 1:07 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Posted: May 31, 2011 8:54 am

Posted: May 31, 2011 8:58 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Man I heard ZZtop was the last major tour to make any money and that was back in the 70's when they drove their own semitrucks. Now all major tours are done via corporate sponsors. That's why ZZtop is the baddest asst band in classic rock.
Posted: May 31, 2011 9:47 am

I was at the beach in Port Aransas last weekend and I loaded up the bar jukebox with Uriah Heep, Montrose, Deep Purple, Foghat, Wishbone Ash and BOC. Much to the delight of the over 50 ponytail crowd and much to the dismay of my wife.
Posted: May 31, 2011 9:48 am

My kid told me that Nirvana and Alice In Chains were classic rock.

To them it is, that shit is 20 years old.
Posted: May 31, 2011 12:57 pm

I need a new copy of "Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust". Mick Ronson was a monster talent.
Posted: May 31, 2011 1:23 pm

When I was in Buffalo Wild Wings last week, they had Spirit playing in the bathroom, I stood there and shook my dick a little while longer than usual but as always a little still got in my pants. But it don't matter.
Posted: May 31, 2011 1:28 pm

When I was in Buffalo Wild Wings last week, they had Spirit playing in the bathroom, I stood there and shook my dick a little while longer than usual but as always a little still got in my pants. But it don't matter.

Awesome
Posted: May 31, 2011 2:06 pm

i hate getting pee pee on my self when i wizzle.
Posted: May 31, 2011 3:06 pm

FUs (Straw Dogs)

that may be the first Straw Dogs reference I've ever seen on the board...speaking of classic rock, they do a pretty decent cover of Tie your mother down on that first EP..
Posted: May 31, 2011 3:23 pm

QUEEN! Bonus cd on recent SHEER HEART ATTACK disc been killing me today. Sonny & The Sunsets just don't measure up. Ambitious and fully capable of doing it.
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 8:21 am

You can never go wrong with The Pirates:

Posted: Jul 22, 2011 7:12 am

Posted: Jul 22, 2011 8:54 am

people who don't dig Slade are not to be trusted, remember that and you will live a pleasant life.

P.S. the fact that some "Matt Slade" mash-up jackoff pops up super high in the results after you search for slade on youtube makes me all stabby and punchy.
Posted: Jul 22, 2011 9:37 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I listen to Nick Lowe and Stiff Little Fingers in the shower most mornings lately:

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®