Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / So Zeke is playing tomorrow night...
Posted: May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

And people are excited. How quickly we forgot the Dwarves.

Only plus, ANTISEEN!

Another minus, Joe Buck.
Posted: May 18, 2011 1:20 pm

And people are excited.

Cut them a break, there aren't as many good shows that come through in Afganistan.
Posted: May 18, 2011 1:25 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

ZEKE puts on full throttle live show, so there should be excitement.
Posted: May 18, 2011 1:51 pm

So does ICP.

I don't understand the popularity of their music.
Same with the Supersuckers.
Posted: May 18, 2011 2:06 pm

ANTISEEN!!!
Posted: May 18, 2011 2:41 pm

Do you live in Lexington?
Posted: May 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Are the Oblivians playing with them? Because once we would start heading West, everyone decided we were a perfect match. What exciting shows we had in... DALLAS!
Posted: May 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I remember going into the office to get paid. There were three people in the room and all of their nose's were bleeding. The other band on the bill was R.E.O. Speed dealer. I remember the bass player looked like someone had directly injected meth into his brain. Intense amounts of drool poured out of both sides of his mouth, his body tightened like one giant muscle, eyeballs about to explode out of his head. This whole experience turned me off of Dallas for a while.
Posted: May 18, 2011 3:36 pm

On the upside, we also got to play with the Mullins(Mullens?) who were great.
Posted: May 18, 2011 3:42 pm

that is true!

Love them Mullens!
Posted: May 18, 2011 3:45 pm

and its drewbies birthday!
Posted: May 18, 2011 4:23 pm

ANTISEEN!!!

For real.
Maybe Scott really is a trucker.
Posted: May 18, 2011 6:43 pm

R.E.O. Speed dealer. I remember the bass player looked like someone had directly injected meth into his brain. Intense amounts of drool poured out of both sides of his mouth, his body tightened like one giant muscle, eyeballs about to explode out of his head.

hahahahaha
Posted: May 18, 2011 6:45 pm

oh, and on topic: i bet zeke are fun to see... for 10 minutes or so, until the joke wears off. and then you still got antiseen.
Posted: May 18, 2011 7:29 pm

I promise you that Zeke is MUCH better than the current Dwarves
Posted: May 18, 2011 9:14 pm

I totally get the Supersuckers. I don't get Zeke.
Posted: May 18, 2011 10:05 pm

It's hard to keep singing the same songs about being a junkie, when you are now a NA sponsor...
Posted: May 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Love them Mullens!

seconded!..or that would be thirded, i guess..
Posted: May 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Mullens / Reatards show in the back of the Arcade restaurant is one of my all time favorite shows. Great band.
Posted: May 19, 2011 11:02 am

R.E.O. Speed dealer. I remember the bass player looked like someone had directly injected meth into his brain. Intense amounts of drool poured out of both sides of his mouth, his body tightened like one giant muscle, eyeballs about to explode out of his head.

That would be Hot Rod. I like/liked all those bands, even the Stupidfuckers, I mean the Supersuckers. Actually, the Supersuckers are a fun band live, although the old drummer was not my favorite person in the world. Speed dealer had so many people in and out the band, they were always teaching the "new guy" the songs. I love me some antiseen, drove Jeff Clayton to the hospital once after a gig. Zeke's best songs are the two slow ones...
Posted: May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

I saw the Mullens once, at Maxwell's in NJ... maybe '99? They were awesome but the only people in the crowd were me and the other band. The Mullens looked so disappointed. They didn't play "Got a Gun" and I was too scared to yell it out.

I saw Zeke once, at Maxwell's I think, maybe around that time. They weren't as loud as I thought they'd be.

The thing I miss most about not living in NJ is Maxwell's...
Posted: May 19, 2011 3:16 pm

I saw Zeke around 98 or so and it was rad! Free show though. I couldn't get excited about paying $10 to see 'em.
Posted: May 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I totally get the Supersuckers.

never did a band so live up to their name.
Posted: May 19, 2011 6:20 pm

yeah, no shit.
Posted: May 19, 2011 10:53 pm

They moved From Arizona to Seattle in 1989 as the Black Supersuckers, but I guess that didn't go over very well.
Not even sure how anyone is connecting the Mullens they pretty much only played with garage bands here in the PNW.

I totally get the Supersuckers.

Posted: May 19, 2011 10:58 pm

I remember going into the office to get paid. There were three people in the room and all of their nose's were bleeding. The other band on the bill was R.E.O. Speed dealer. I remember the bass player looked like someone had directly injected meth into his brain. Intense amounts of drool poured out of both sides of his mouth, his body tightened like one giant muscle, eyeballs about to explode out of his head. This whole experience turned me off of Dallas for a while.
greg O
Member Posted: Yesterday, 3:36 pm Quote On the upside, we also got to play with the Mullins(Mullens?) who were great.

pretty sure the mullens were being booked by d'lana at that point, if not they were shortly after
Posted: May 19, 2011 11:16 pm | Edited by: greg O

The Mullens played a string of shows with us in Texas. That's how they entered the conversation. Don't know who was booking them at the time though.
Peter Davis had dreams of us breaking into a higher tax bracket and he booked us accordingly. Putting us on bills with bands we had no business playing with and alienating us from our friends that we generally played with. Such memorable concerts as Oblivians opening for RFTC, Zeke or Boss Hog. Not really knocking those bands, we just didn't belong in rooms that big. I remember having a conversation in dallas outside the club with Eric and we had come to the conclusion that we liked Hank Ballard and these people did not. It was that simple.
Posted: May 20, 2011 12:06 am

The Hank Ballard Quotient.
Posted: May 20, 2011 12:47 am

The Hank Ballard test!
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:35 am

the Supersuckers were way better as Thai Pink when they lived in Arizona
it was like Motley Crue was a local band for a couple years

then they moved to Seattle and saw the Dwarves or something

KILL A PUNK FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: May 20, 2011 7:29 am

we just didn't belong in rooms that big

that's a load of shit.

we had come to the conclusion that we liked Hank Ballard and these people did not.

but that makes sense.
Posted: May 20, 2011 8:34 am

No, we really didn't. Compared to the aural assault of some of these other bands we were like a firecracker going off in the distant corner of a giant warehouse. In retrospect, we probably could have pulled it off with the help of a personal soundman. But the reality was, we weren't very loud and we were best suited to bars and small rooms. Think of it this way, if you're DJing in a little bar and you've got a little PA with a couple of decent speakers it sounds great. The small space creates it's own low end because there's nowhere else for the sound to go(particularly useful if you don't have a bass). If you take that same PA to a room that has a cap of 700 it will sound like shit. You need more power to adequately fill the space. We faced the same problem. Two small combo amps, no bass and in the begining no kick drum. A recipe for disaster in a large room.
Posted: May 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Antiseen kicked ass.

Zeke were palatable for 10 minutes then I split.
Feel the same way about the New Bomb Turks.
Posted: May 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Scott was not there. Poseur trucker.
Posted: May 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Man, what do you guys have against the Supersuckers?

I mean Eddie's not Bob Dylan, but...
Posted: May 20, 2011 4:18 pm

atleast your beard was there!
Posted: May 20, 2011 4:37 pm

me too.
at least they went away, i think. the Melvins are playing tributes to their own LPs.
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:03 pm

i remember my old band playing with zeke once - at load in i showed up with my fender super six and they had a ridiculous amount of marshal stacks -- it struck me as funny that we were way louder than them - it seriously doesn't matter who's louder - but why travel with an arsenal of amps if you ain't gonna play loud?

also we kicked total ass and they were pretty blah -- in an unrelated note my boss came to that gig and puked all over the place, that was awesome
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:05 pm

kinda like this
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:31 pm | Edited by: Seamus

kinda like this

no greater argument for the fact that either music is dead or it needs to be put down.
Posted: May 20, 2011 6:53 pm

That was the funniest picture I've seen in a while.
Posted: May 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Man, what do you guys have against the Supersuckers?

I mean Eddie's not Bob Dylan, but...

why would you even attempt to smear Vince Neil, jr with a shitty comparison like that
Posted: May 20, 2011 8:34 pm

why would you even attempt to smear Vince Neil, jr with a shitty comparison like that

HA!
Posted: May 21, 2011 9:42 am

I like the Supersuckers song "Coattail Rider" and a bunch of the Smoke Of Hell album. When I saw 'em, it was apparent that they were rockers trying to kinda dumb down to this kinda music.

They did play the a Gories song, which shows good taste. It sounded like shit, which shows... they sucked I guess.
Posted: May 21, 2011 11:32 am

i always liked that song 'born with a tail' - can't really think of any others -- i had a buddy who always played their country record but i wasn't that into it or too opposed to it

i was more into the rev horton heat in the early 90's though so i guess my judgement is totally unreliable - wake me up when there's an Elvis Hitler reunion
Posted: May 21, 2011 12:51 pm

went to show within 5 mins some guy from the goddamn gallows asked me to get him coke and saw a guy with a johnny rebel shirt so before i even paid to get in so needless to say i spent that 15 bucks on evil ernie comics the next day !
Posted: May 21, 2011 2:24 pm

so needless to say i spent that 15 bucks on evil ernie comics the next day !
SHIT IS FUCKED.

Saw Zeke once, it was ok, carney's right the slow songs are the better ones, had a few of their LPs in the late 90s. REO Speedealer, no, still have that LP in the archives somewhere. Just scored 4 different Supersuckers LPs that I haven't brought myself to listen to even the one with the Clowes cover and the one with Rick Sims in the band which was when I tried to enjoy them but couldn't. Saw them open up for The Ramones who were opening up for WHITE ZOMBIE and that shit was fucking fucked. The 4 of us were the only people who left after the Ramones got done playing in the nastiest WWF hosting arena in Muskegon, MI ever.

Would see the Dwarves in any incarnation for probably my entire life but that's my personal problem. Antiseen's Eat More Possum makes me so happy. The guitar sounds worse than Clayton's voice.
Posted: May 21, 2011 3:06 pm

The guitar sounds worse than Clayton's voice.
Dude always played a tele through a Marshall and got that crazy skronky sound. Brings a smile to my face, too.
Posted: May 21, 2011 3:10 pm

Rick Sims in the band which was when I tried to enjoy them but couldn't

That was just a bad idea, those dudes are way more hesher than Sims. Didjits>Supersuckers. They do have some good songs: Coattail rider, On the Couch, Creepy Jackolope Eye and Pretty fucked Up.
Posted: May 22, 2011 12:28 pm

I like the Supersuckers song "Coattail Rider" and a bunch of the Smoke Of Hell album

I liked that album ok, good to skate to in 1990-whatever it was...have a real early zeke 7"..the Green Barracuda one, that's fairly raw...nothing other that that strikes me as worth a shit. As a side note, I did have a random lunch at a Thai place in Madison, WI with Blind Marky Feltchtone...he was pretty cool..
Posted: May 22, 2011 1:27 pm

I saw the Supersuckers at Whole Foods on magazine in N.O. back in 2002.

My overpriced grilled tempeh nocoise' only made the debacle worse.
Posted: May 22, 2011 4:34 pm

I smoked hash with the Supersuckers in 1993. It was one of the gayer hash sessions I've endured.
Posted: May 22, 2011 5:50 pm

I had a friend that worked in the finance department at Sub Pop for many years and one of there records (I think The Sacrilicious Sounds of the Supersuckers) -- they has spent so much money doing back page ads in every single magazine and sending out promos and the record sold so badly. She worked out the figures in the end and if they would have given each person that purchased that record a $10 bill they would have come out ahead.
I do like The Songs All Sound the Same in that you can play the last song on a juke box and hear the whole record -- seems like good economy for a quarter.
Posted: May 22, 2011 6:37 pm

i think i've only ever heard one song each by poopefuckers and deke. no joke.
Posted: May 23, 2011 9:16 am

I've never owned a Supersuckers album but when I saw them when I was 14 they complimented my Fall-Outs t-shirt.

The Supersuckers are no where near as good at the New Bomb Turks, but I can see the comparison...both bands were made up of total record geeks. Appropriately, New Bomb Turks will be remembered more for thier B-sides than title tracks...same goes for Supersuckers I guess.

Somehow or other Blur fits into this theory but I'm not sure how.
Posted: May 23, 2011 9:22 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Hey Useless Eater, that's the tour I saw them on...left the arena after The Ramones and hung with the Supersuckers.....Dayton Bombers arena smelled like a locker room, couldn't take the pizza faces moshing or all the smoke (from cigs and smoke machine!) so got pulled out of the crowd by bouncers.

I may have been closer to 16 or 17
Posted: May 23, 2011 12:03 pm

I saw the Supersuckers at Whole Foods on magazine in N.O. back in 2002.

I think I saw them in NOLA the night before. They wandered into the Saint about 2 or 3 in the morning and one of the dudes passed out in a chair. The other guys in the band were laughing at him and taking pictures of him and so I whipped my balls out and put them on his cheek. They wouldn't take a picture and were like "dude, that's not cool." Fucking poseurs.

saw a guy with a johnny rebel shirt

That kid was an idiot. There were a lot of idiots there that night. I think Joe Buck brings them out.
Posted: May 25, 2011 5:09 am

Mullens / Reatards show in the back of the Arcade restaurant is one of my all time favorite shows. Great band.

This is fact, not opinion.
Posted: May 27, 2011 11:51 am | Edited by: Uptight White

The Mullens were awesome and they didn't draw the crowds they deserved each time I saw them.
Posted: May 27, 2011 12:29 pm

When is Eric Davidson going to get on here?
Posted: May 27, 2011 12:33 pm

When is Eric Davidson going to get on here?

It was his praise for them in that book that got me thinking about them -like they might deserve some attention. But no. This thread pretty much confirmed what I had already thought.
Posted: May 27, 2011 1:01 pm

I like Zeke, I wish I had known they were playing Lexington I would have gone...it's like, do they seem like the types I would enjoy hanging out with? Probbably not, but then again, hell yeah. I mean I was always realy fucking intimidated by Nashville Pussy, yeah I'm southern and like alot of redneck shit, but I'm also a left wing liberal.

I got serious rednecks in my family tree...that's why if folks aren't bitching at me for being to much of a fag they're bitching at me for being to red...you just can't make losers happy...the differance is that they care about how I act, I couldn't care less about how they act...they need to get lives.
Posted: May 27, 2011 4:56 pm

The Mullens are alright, but they ain't no Sons of Hercules.

Zeke was better when they still had Sonny on guitar and the smiley bald guy on bass.
Posted: May 27, 2011 5:31 pm

The Mullens are alright, but they ain't no Sons of Hercules

Exactly. Likeable, but I always thought of them as S.O.H. Jr.
Posted: May 28, 2011 9:22 am

I guess that makes you a huge Death of Samantha fan too? meh...

It was his praise for them in that book that got me thinking about them -like they might deserve some attention. But no. This thread pretty much confirmed what I had already thought.
Posted: May 28, 2011 1:58 pm

That macho biker hotrod shit is soo annoying.

Zeke, Ssuckers, Nashville Pussy (etc) .... Kill them all.
Posted: May 28, 2011 2:17 pm

two more bands i've never heard.
Posted: May 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I thought the Mullens were way better...at least live...was never an S.O.H. fan..
Posted: May 29, 2011 10:38 am

Sons of Hercules.

I'm a fan. Loved SOH when I saw them both up here and down in TX. Would go out of my way to see 'em again.
Posted: May 30, 2011 10:57 pm

i'd rather listen to the hunches
Posted: May 31, 2011 8:44 am

Yeah, I think it's the macho biker shit that turned me off about them...I'd rather listen to Nine Pound Hammer than Nashville Pussy....they kept it real.
Posted: May 31, 2011 9:39 am

Never was too kicked on the Sons of Hercules live or on record. Mullens' records are catchy and fun; I totally slept on 'em.
Posted: May 31, 2011 9:44 am

The Sons are the Texas Ramones. I've seen em countless times, they are always amazing. The Mullens are in the same vein, but not at the same level.

I was always realy fucking intimidated by Nashville Pussy,

Really? I was intimidated by Corey, but that's a whole different story. I do prefer 9 Pound Hammer, though. Here's some trivia for ya tigerblinds: 9 lb Hammer played Brent's first wedding and my southern rock/honkytonk band Gravy Boat played his second (at the Rudyard Kipling).
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 8:31 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Wow...Nine Pound Hammer played Brent and Ronnie's wedding? Neither of them have ever told me that. I just hung out with him and Betsy this past weekend. Friend of ours committed suicide and he was playing his memorial show.

I think with Nashville Pussy it was the fans that were scarier than them...I'm down with confederate flags and blowing fire and all that shit, but some of thier fans only had 3 teeth in their head, pair that with fetal alchohol syndrome and being inbred and we're talking toxic avenger shit...that's what was so intimidating. At least Turbonegro had a gay schtick to keep the ex-cons away.
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 8:40 am

Kinghorse were kind of the same deal...going to those shows, you start to understand how The Misfits jock fans sort of ruined the scene for bands like X. I like Pantera, but no fucking way in hell would I go to one of thier shows...I might go to a David Allan Coe show, but chances are that I'd get into a fight pretty fast...but then again I always seem to hit it of with violent stupid types.
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 7:40 pm

THE COWS!!!!

end of thread.
Posted: Jun 1, 2011 7:40 pm

Nine Pound Hammer sucks too.

Maybe their studio records are OK, but "Live at the Vera" is fucking terrible.
Posted: Jun 2, 2011 8:16 am

Cows fans are intellectuals....Pantera fans not so much.
Posted: Jun 2, 2011 3:10 pm

I think Joe Buck brings them out.
i dont understand punks or metalheads whatever turning into this redneck white trash chest beaters its like me getting gold teeth and selling crack thats why i got into punk i wanted as far away from that shit as humanily possible
Posted: Jun 6, 2011 10:52 pm

Matt Mayo is God!
Posted: Jun 6, 2011 11:21 pm

i think that might be pushing it....
Posted: Jun 7, 2011 8:26 am

I'd probbably go to a Pantera show with the right bunch of guys...but I almost regret every metal show I go too...there's like a 20 or 30 percent chance I'll enjoy myself.
Posted: Jun 7, 2011 8:27 am

Actually my crew was all down to see Slayer but tickets were 30 or 40 bucks....
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®