Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / MMR recap
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:27 pm | Edited by: Cole

I have a subscription to this magazine. I like it, but don't read most of it. It's mostly bands I'm not interested in. As a public service I'm going to recap the stuff in the April issue that I think people on this board might be interested in. I know this is weird but I'm stuck in the office all day and have about two hours to kill.

In the letters section, there's a guy from some anonymous band that played the Scion garage fest bitching because a writer wrote a list of all the bands that played and basically called them sell outs for taking corporate cash. They go back and forth in a couple of letters actually and it's pretty entertaining. Since I work for Pepsi and all my money is huge corporation money, it's easy to guess who's side I'm on. The only DIY thing I do is shoot and clean and cook a deer sometimes.

There's a write up on Timmy's Organism. It's good. I feel like an ass for not checking into any of Timmy Vulger's bands yet. I'm on it.

Reviews.

There's a book review on the Husker Du book by Andrew Earles. The Reviewer, Robert Collins, doesn't like it. It's a good review though and I think it's fair. I've read the book and I liked it.

They review the Cheveu "1000" record. Brace Belden is not a fan. "What if the Country Teasers sounded like shit" is one of his quotes. I don't know them but plan on checking them out.

Helen Degenerate likes the Circle Pit "Sewercide" seven inch. She kind of talks about how much more badass the A side is than the B side, but that's how it should be. I have this and I agree.

Helen is not a Nobunny fan however. She hates "Raw Romance" "This is the most boring 12" I've listened to in a long time" Ouch. I like Nobunny alot. I don't have this but I want it.

OBN IIIS gets a good review from Carolyn Keddy. "It sounds really good when you've had lot's of beer. I've tried this experiment and she's totally right.

Both the Ramma Lamma's Certified Pr and FDH 7"s are reviewed and get some love. I like these records as well.

Layla Gibbon loves the Straight Arrows "This Lp is a basement dance party waiting to happen-blown out and explosive without losing any pop appeal" This record rules.

TSOT/Wizzard Sleeve is reviewed. Wizzard Sleeve is raved about. "Setting Fire To Your Loft, ranks among their very best".
There are some great quotes from the TSOT part of the review. "Featuring a couple of high profile names from Memphis' punk elite" All I can say is, it's about damn time Joe T and Sam finally got some respect. Thank you MC.
Another great one is"If anything, this record reclaims art-punk from yuppies and brings it back to the punks" Wow. That's kinda heavy.

The awesome Ed Nasty and the Dopeds 7" gets a great review. "Hear American snot defined, you suck-ers you!" Great 45.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:33 pm

i was on the cover of MRR
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:35 pm | Edited by: Cole

I knew that was coming.....and actually was looking forward to it.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:38 pm

I like Cole's review of MRR more than reading MRR. Thanks Cole!
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:43 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Eric's right

and thank-you, as well

oh yeah, dive into the Timmy Vulgar catalog - there's good stuff there - but don't miss the live show next time
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:46 pm

yeah, great job cole,
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm fucking board. Quit making me feel like a retarded kid who learned to tie his shoes.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:52 pm

oh yeah, dive into the Timmy Vulgar catalog - there's good stuff there - but don't miss the live show next time

I know! I'm about to rectify this for sure.....
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:01 pm

did you really learn to tie your shoes or did you get velcro instead of laces?
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:16 pm

I would subscribe to this newsletter
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:22 pm

I like your recap more than I like reading the magazine. That said, MRR is responsible in part for my marriage.

Alanis Morrissette would call that ironic, and she'd be wrong.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:26 pm

the Scion garage fest bitching because a writer wrote a list of all the bands that played and basically called them sell outs for taking corporate cash.

This is something I think about every now and then. I'm glad to see friends bands get paid, but Scion is such a shit product and this is such a desperate grab for consumer dollars, somehow. Honestly, I can't imagine very many of us actually buying a Scion, but it's lamer to see bands that had so long been against corporations (like Man is the Bastard, Brutal Truth, etc.) playing these things. It's basically why a lot of people dismissed Rage Against the Machine (well, that and the shitty music), but now it's like "whatever, dude."

Just like the Dead Kennedy's suing Jello for the right to sell their songs to Levi's or Billy Childish recording the Stash 7" to make fun of the Clash "Selling Jeans for the USA".

I think it basically boils down to what the individual thinks about it and MRR is more about dictating what the "official punk stance" on something should be and if you don't agree, you're out.

What a bunch of ass-rags. I remember when they made Felix Von Havoc quit his column because he objectified women by saying how Scandinavian chicks were hot. Talk about shooting the messenger.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:28 pm

Cole should put out a monthly zine, "Cliff's Notes: MRR"

It could be a pdf scan of a xeroxed printout of monthly report originally published on the Goner Board, emailed to subscribers' inboxes.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:29 pm

seconded
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:30 pm

I suck though, cause I missed shit! Just sitting here flipping through...

Jess Scott....this asshole gives the Uv Race Sweet Rot 7" a bad review.
""Acid Trip is about as fun as watching someone on an acid trip or listening to someone recounting a dream". "This is a certified snoooozer".

Of course he also talks about how he's enjoyed other tunes by this band and digs their sound. I call bullshit. That's a great record and he just wants to go against the grain.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:31 pm | Edited by: Cole

Cole should put out a monthly zine, "Cliff's Notes: MRR"

Fuck that, to lazy....I'll do it here.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 6:41 pm

i was on the cover of MRR
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 7:05 pm

Talk about shooting the messenger.
Ha!
That's a great record and he just wants to go against the grain.
Sounds pretty Goner to me
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 7:33 pm | Edited by: Cole

The corporate money thing is kind of stupid. The integrity lies in the music. A band should be able to play whatever gig they want. I want the bands I like to make some money.
Take the awesome TSOT for instance, their out there, working hard, reclaiming art-punk back from the yuppies. How are the yuppies to know that art-punk is being reclaimed from them if they don't see TSOT playing at some huge corporate festival?
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 7:45 pm

did you really learn to tie your shoes or did you get velcro instead of laces?

I use the velcro Jack sent me as part if the vi fan club package.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 10:16 pm

Nice work, Cole. I wrote record reviews for Maximumrocknroll from 1992-2002...I BARELY read it then (always VERY selectively), and have probably bought 3 issues since I left. Not because I hate it by any means. I hate things about it, as it should be...it's a collaboration of opinions and styles, some that have merit and some that suck shit...that's the beauty...it's not a Pitchfork or Razorcake circle jerk. I got turned on to a LOT of my favorite bands there and made some great friends, including of course, founder Tim Yohannan. Glad it's still around for his sake...tho some shit has gone down since he passed that would have his corpse spinning like a disco ball. All I will say is the same fuck who (allegedly) sold records out of the collection and stole ad money, was the guy who had vegan donut tea parties and shit that I had to politely smile and walk through on my way to the writing rooms...nuff said.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 9:24 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I haven't seen an MRR since that first Firestarter interview in what 2003?

I like Tim Yohannon, that guy worked a shitty assed university job at Berkley getting paid the salary of a cafeteria worker (just like me) to focus on punk rock.

Arguing about corporate America vs. DIY is a slippery slope....if corporate America didn't suck so hard it wouldn't be such a bad thing....if I was head CEO of Sony Records, you can bet it would rock...but as is, it sucks....and honestly they are only interested in bands on a suck for the sake of sucking basis....I mean they're about selling music to naive fucks who know nothing about music....it's seems like they market the crappiest aspects of bands and play down or ignore the most important parts...all because that's the only thing middle America (aka Suckdom) can understand.

I mean corporate America and bullshit academia have basically ruined what on a whole was an unselfcontious, uninhibited form of cultural currency...what's even more annoying is that it very well may have been systematic, because culteral icons have much to much power, the ones that have an actual message and can get it out to the masses quickly are the most dangerous. I mean the feds had files on both Elvis and The Beatles because of the potential threat they represented to the establishment.

What's even more annoying and pathetic than all that bullshit though, is that MRR and punk culture are still worried about corporate America, when it's just a thin facade at this point in time....the music industry is dead...it has a stake in it's heart and they got what they deserved....it's on life support at best...so who realy gives a fuck if a band takes corporate money? MRR should realy work harder to redefine what punk is on the ideological level...maybe they should just start calling it Rocknroll like their name suggests and encourage people to do the Jerk, Twist, Mash Potatoe, and Swim.

I'd like to get involved with a monthly publication that I can get behind for better or worse...
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 9:34 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Does most every music fan loose respect for a band that signs to a major label and then lets them market their suckiest songs and characteristics? Yes, it's only natural....who's to blame? The music industry, the band, or the fans? Well that seems to be the real argument...

I take Billy Childish's stance, which is that that's for everyone else to figure out, and as an artist I can just focus on myself and ignore all the bullshit...if you keep at whatever it is you do, chances are good that eventually someone will notice. You don't realy have to kiss ass at all if you don't want too. So you sign to a major label or you don't...as long as you're committed to your art it doesn't realy matter....of course we all know that most musicians are full of shit...so that won't work for them....but then again some bands have done it...it's not unheard of by any means.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 9:41 am

I need an editor obviously....but I could be a rock journalist....just show me to the rock music please, because it must be hidden under a rock somewhere...oh yeah that's why I'm posting on the Goner Board in the first place.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 10:40 am

People were all pissed off when The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became a franchise...they took out all of the overt violence (Leonardo had his hand chopped off in an early issue) and philosophical overtones, and replaced it with trendy 80's catch words and pop references....and truth be known, they watered it down for children and it realy did make it less significant to the regular comic fan mostly just interested in having a cool riveting read. It wasn't as interesting anymore, the art work was generic bullshit meant to be colorful and cute and it realy did become stupid.

That's what happens...people called the Ninja Turtles sell outs....but I'm still a fan...I won't give up on them....
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 10:51 am

They review the Cheveu "1000" record. Brace Belden is not a fan. "What if the Country Teasers sounded like shit" is one of his quotes. I don't know them but plan on checking them out.

I'd like to hear more about this comparison. Don't get the Teasers reference at all.

1000 belongs in the 'Essential 2011 Releases' thread. Looking forward to their tour so much that I'm considering an ATL-Memphis trek just to get two doses!
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 12:04 pm

I always preferred "Flipside" to "Max R n' R".
But Flipside is gone, along with the SoCal "scene" and MRR is still around and the NoCal scene is going strong. So, kudos to MRR.

But I still don't want to read it. Too catholic.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 12:23 pm

Helen is not a Nobunny fan however. She hates "Raw Romance" "This is the most boring 12" I've listened to in a long time" Ouch. I like Nobunny alot. I don't have this but I want it.

bad reviews = record sales!

cole, you my nigga, dawg.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 12:56 pm

that corporate thing is a phase. once they realize they can't really sell it to everyone they'll move on to something equally stupid. rock and roll will always be around and there always some dipshit who will keep it fun. at least thats what i'm banking on.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 12:56 pm

Arguing about corporate America vs. DIY is a slippery slope....if corporate America didn't suck so hard it wouldn't be such a bad thing....if I was head CEO of Sony Records, you can bet it would rock...but as is, it sucks....and honestly they are only interested in bands on a suck for the sake of sucking basis....I mean they're about selling music to naive fucks who know nothing about music....it's seems like they market the crappiest aspects of bands and play down or ignore the most important parts...all because that's the only thing middle America (aka Suckdom) can understand.

I mean corporate America and bullshit academia have basically ruined what on a whole was an unselfcontious, uninhibited form of cultural currency...what's even more annoying is that it very well may have been systematic, because culteral icons have much to much power, the ones that have an actual message and can get it out to the masses quickly are the most dangerous. I mean the feds had files on both Elvis and The Beatles because of the potential threat they represented to the establishment.

What's even more annoying and pathetic than all that bullshit though, is that MRR and punk culture are still worried about corporate America, when it's just a thin facade at this point in time....the music industry is dead...it has a stake in it's heart and they got what they deserved....it's on life support at best...so who realy gives a fuck if a band takes corporate money? MRR should realy work harder to redefine what punk is on the ideological level...maybe they should just start calling it Rocknroll like their name suggests and encourage people to do the Jerk, Twist, Mash Potatoe, and Swim.

I really think the death of the music industry is over, and that we're actually in an amazingly exciting time for new artists and music. I believe that music is very much a part of personality, and as such there will always be a high demand for highly individualist music that helps people express themselves.

The industry was built a certain way to generate maximum profit from minimal investment. Why take a risk and possibly lose money when you can just beat some hackneyed cliche to death for garraunteed cash?

However, with home production and desktop publishing available to EVERYONE, the infrastructure investment that used to be required to promote bands is no longer needed. Instead of a Top 40 list dominated radio consuming culture, we now have the Ipod generation with thousands upon thousands of culturally relevant songs.

this puts us in a very schismed place, because in order to feel like a special individual people inherently seek out more and more obscure music, which isn't always good. However, we're finding a new model of music, where instead of either being a millionaire or working at Denny's, there's room for a regionally supported local culture of working class musicians; guys who are only looking for a thousand fans willing to pay them 5 bucks a month for the whole band, instead of guys needing a 100 million fans each paying a few pennies in ad revenue from a radio station.

This changes everything, because pop music, which once represented the dumbing down of music, is now representing those universal themes that link us all in a time when we are all very divided and alone. Those members of the underground community that see this opportunity stand to gain big in the long run if they see the trend.

Because of the status quo of single parents, people need a way to meet others of similar interests and financial status in a comfortable atmosphere. Pub culture supports this concept and has been doing well in America recently. This establishes a very stable source of income for legitimate artists if they can find a sound that is impure enough to appeal to a mass audience without running people off with elitism.

I realize this is a long response, but the idea of an "anti-Purist" movement with the wide span of influences of world music without the naively positive folkie philosophy has considerable potential to revolutionize the way we listen and bond to music.

I intentionally put forward this "shameless whore" / "scumbag" concept of impurity because it is both honest and endearing without ignoring it's own faults. I like the whole "Duh, of course I'm a hypocrite, I'm human" attitude and I think instead of looking at the scene with disgust, you should see the marvelous potential for music to unify and rebuild that which was destroyed by the industry's unwillingness to admit to the cultural shift caused by independent distribution.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 1:37 pm

^why i like to keep my thoughts tweet length.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 2:24 pm

You're an optimist Chris Hart.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 2:27 pm

Which is more punk?
A) Reading MRR
B) Not reading MRR
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 2:28 pm

C) just looking at the pictures
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 3:01 pm

D) Talking a lot about MRR, not reading MRR, but putting green tape on every issue and filing them away, never to be looked at.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 3:07 pm

D) All of the above.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 3:18 pm

Obviously every single word ever printed in MRR is 100% correct and should be obeyed without question.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 3:19 pm

E) hippies still suck.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 3:28 pm

F) i've never bought an issue of mrr in my life.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 3:29 pm

Sure, it's not 1990, but somehow this thread feels incomplete with no mention of Gilman St. or ABC No Rio.

I'm here to help.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 4:39 pm

what the shit was up with that one columnist the "irish rocker" who had these crazy assed conspiracy theories? one of them was about high ranking military officers/satanic child molesters in the presidio in sf? weird shit.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 5:08 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Cole - here's a link for the download of Human Eye's "Martian Queen" (produced by Ivan Julian of The Voidoids)
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 5:47 pm

I went to Gilman Street to see the Zeros and went "punk" by trying to sneak in a beer.

They told me if I tried it again I'd be 86'd "forever".
"But I was thirrrrrrrrrsteeeeeeeeeeeey"
"So what - we sell herbal tea"

But that's OK. if there's no 14 year old punkrockers, there won't be any 24 year old punkrockers ... and on and on up to 64 year old punkrockers
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 7:43 pm

I like turtles.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 7:56 pm

went to Gilman to see the Zeros...try to sneak in a beer...if I tried it again I'd be 86'd..."we sell herbal tea"

Green Fascism.

high ranking military officers/satanic child molesters in the presidio in sf?

Michael Aquino. Psycho-Ops + Nazi Sympathizer. Whatta freak.

Still waiting to read that recent interview w/ U-Ron Bondage of Really Red.

Maximum Suck-N-Roll
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 8:56 pm

I was on the cover of mrr with the zeros
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 9:05 pm

I was on the cover of mrr with the zeros
i don't remember that issue, can you give me a cliff note version?
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 9:09 pm

there was us and the zeros, everything else sucked. shortly thereafter tim yo died and they never made another worthwhile issue.
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 10:14 pm

not ringing any bells
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 11:02 pm | Edited by: Cole

bad reviews = record sales!

Yeah, probably. I like reading their reviews of records I'm into, but I don't give 'em much weight. About 99% of the records I buy are recommendations from people on this board. about 50% of that is Aussie stuff from the dude above me. See, driver posted this...

Cole - here's a link for the download of Human Eye's "Martian Queen" (produced by Ivan Julian of The Voidoids)

and that was so badass that I bought Human Eye Fragments from ebay.

This is working for me. I first started buying vinyl in Oct of 09....I've got about 125 lps and about 90 7"....my collection is small but KILLER
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 11:13 pm

I just spilled beer on my Mummies lp. It came about an inch from my Alarm Clocks lp but stopped. Sign from God?
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 11:19 pm

God Hates the Mummies
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 11:26 pm

no, the mummies love beer
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 11:27 pm

bradx! dude......weren't you once on the cover of MRR?
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 11:58 pm

i'd always rather see his mom and the santa coon than that supposedly existing issue of mrr.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 3:07 am

Cole, I thought you were a complete mental retard cause you didn't know how to make ice tea. Maybe you are, I don't know. Sam told me in person you aren't. And your new public service is totally valuable. Thanks bro. Sorry I thought you were retarded.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 3:31 am

Posted: Apr 9, 2011 3:32 am

Posted: Apr 9, 2011 5:57 am

Cole, I thought you were a complete mental retard cause you didn't know how to make ice tea.

Well, I live in MS so I can see that.

Sam told me in person you aren't.

On Bullyrook's site, there's pictures of Sam playing bass with TSOT while dressed up like an Arab wearing a jock strap with his balls hanging out. Is he really a great judge of things like this? Thanks anyway Sam!

Sorry I thought you were retarded.

No problem!
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 6:08 am

I heard that in the April issue of MRR there's an interview with that fantastic band Hygiene from London. I can't wait to read that!
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 11:57 am

On Bullyrook's site, there's pictures of Sam playing bass with TSOT while dressed up like an Arab wearing a jock strap with his balls hanging out. Is he really a great judge of things like this? Thanks anyway Sam!

he makes a good point
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 12:18 pm

http://www.terminal-boredom.com/lsokmrr.jpg

Brad, there's some dude in this picture who looks just like you!!
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 12:30 pm

Brad, there's some dude in this picture who looks just like you!!

It's not him It's this dude named Randy Bobandy. He's the Assistant Supervisor for some gated community on the weekends.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 4:01 pm

supervale of the sunnyview
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 5:09 pm

Hey Cole, give us a review of some some stuff you bought in the last year that you didn't like.

Serious question, barometer setter.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 6:53 pm | Edited by: Cole

I know it seems that I'm always kissing ass on this board, but I really do like most of the stuff that I buy. I'm a positive kind of guy. Anyway....I went through my records and here's a few.

Total Control- both the "Paranoid Video" and the "Pyre Island" 7"s- I saw them at Gonerfest and was blown away. They were awesome. I bought the first 7" and was confused. It's nothing like the live band. What shocked me was everyone was raving about it. Nobody else seemed to care but me. I shut up and bought the next one. Still don't get it.

Circle Pit-Honey/Slave- I don't want to shock and dismay Bruce any more...But I just don't like this one. I loved "Sewercide" and don't mind slower stuff, but these songs just aren't that great to me.

Guitaro-Futura Black-This seems like a pot record and I'm a beer kinda guy. It has it's moments, but I think it's the only record I own that I haven't listened to all the way through.

The Hex Dispensers-Winchester Mystery House-It's just not my kind of Punk
not dirty and grimy enough. A little too polished maybe? Lyrics seem kind of silly. I mean, I can dig silly lyrics but the whole spooky thing leaves me flat.

Wounded Lion- I really tried on this one, mainly because I thought I might see them at Gonerfest. I thought it was growing on me.....but then they dropped off the bill and we grew apart. Sorry Wounded Lion, It's not you...It's me.

The Mummies- The Mummies Play their Own Records- Blasphemy? I don't think this record is bad, I just expected more. Everyone makes such a big deal out of them. If I heard this before I heard something like "Soul Food", I might feel different. I spilled a beer on this record last night and my only thought was racing to get my Alarm Clocks lp out of the way.

Ozzie-The Parabolic Rock-Awesome packaging. I love reading and looking at it. I can't listen to it. "Child of the Reich" is sooo bad. It's like a rock opera song.

Crocadiles -"Neon Jesus"- There's just no way a redneck can ever be hip enough to listen to this.

The 5,6,7,8's-Bomb the Twist- I kinda do like this just not enough to ever listen to it.

Everyone of those bands are good, I just didn't connect with 'em. I'll be honest and say that their is one other record, but they post here sometimes, not alot, but some, and I'm just too chicken shit cause they seem really cool.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 7:12 pm

all perfectly reasonable calls, and i'm not dismayed, i love that you're able to make your own decisions
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 7:28 pm | Edited by: Cole

I don't know why I want an answer about the Total Control thing so bad. I guess it's because they were one of the most exciting live acts I've ever seen. It kills me to not like the records
I remember talking to you about it. I was hoping to get some answer that made me get it. I thought that since you knew the guys, you might have some inside info. I wanted something like, "They are trying to show the juxtaposition of the studio environment and the live environment through the art of blah, blah,blah." You just said, "That's how it is". haha
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 8:01 pm

I like Cole.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 8:41 pm

the reviews make me distrust his taste in all things music, seems like a cool person though.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 8:47 pm

the first single which was on aarght was much more like they were live, i think there will be a comp lp coming
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 9:09 pm

the reviews make me distrust his taste in all things music,

I think I don't have a sense of history like you guys do with garage rock. That probably messes me up right there. I bought my first Oblivians album last year. I've yet to buy anything from The Gories(never see any vinyl for sale).I love the music of Wes Coleman. I'm sure that there is someone that did what he does before and better than him, I just haven't heard it. You might hear something and say, "I've heard shit like this a thousand times". I'd probably be,"I've never heard anything like this!" So yeah, it's fucked up.
Posted: Apr 9, 2011 9:39 pm

that ozzie record is one of my recent faves, go back and listen to "so stupid" 100+ times. mummies play their own records isnt their best (though i still think it is great!), look for the never been caught lp on telstar.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 8:32 am | Edited by: Janderass

I like Cole.

Yeah, I like/am sometimes frustrated by your enthusiastic/naive approach. Kudos for digging in so hard and trying as much new stuff as you have in the past year or so, most of your dis list I haven't even taken the time to check out. Mummies and 5678s are kind of crucial, they have their better records though. Gotta get some fucking Gories and then you'll be straight. Agreed on Hex Dispensers. Wanna hear what the last dis is, SPILL IT!

Keep the reviews coming too!
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 10:25 am

I'll be honest and say that their is one other record, but they post here sometimes, not alot, but some, and I'm just too chicken shit cause they seem really cool.

i wish i could be as diplomatic. i think alex cuervo hates me for saying how much i hated hex dispensers on this very board.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 10:28 am

What? He reads this board? Shit.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 11:21 am

What? He reads this board? Shit.

Alot!

Asshole.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 11:24 am

Go ahead and spill. If some band can't handle the fact that some cracker doesn't like their band then they're probably a bunch of faggots anyway.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 11:54 am

Trade?

2 Total Contol 7"
1 Circle Pit 7"
1 5,6,7,8s 7"
1 Crocodiles 7"
1 Guitaro lp
1 Hex Dispensers lp
1 Wounded Lion lp
1 Ozzie 2LP
1 Mummies lp
1 Mystery lp
and I'll throw in a melchoir/spits split that I have 2 of for 1 gories lp and a couple of other good records that you think I should hear.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Cole doesn't have an agenda...so I trust his gut-take reviews.

Most bands are great live and are limp dick on vinyl...age old problem tho
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Hey Cole, re Total Control's records, Mikey is way into production. With Eddy Current the recs are really strict live snapshots but Total Control is deliberately the exact opposite. The idea being they do whatever they like. They've finished their LP and it's got really diverse stuff on it - spaced out pop, a lobg Suicide-type dirge and gothy Adolescents-esque punkers. It hangs together really well. It might answer your questions about 'em.

Bruce, they just repressed the first EP. You should hit him up for some copies.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 1:18 pm

You know I think Bruce's answer was better.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 4:24 pm

hey cole, i need to replace my copy of that mummies lp. i'll trade you something for it. drop me an email: djbazookajoe AT slovenly DOT com
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Did you read earlier where I spilled beer on it? I'll holler at you.

Rigid. Thank you! Yeah, Bruce's answer was pretty cool in a zen sort of way. I'm sure I'll still give that lp a try.

Yeah, I like/am sometimes frustrated by your enthusiastic/naive approach.

I can see that. What you need to understand is that I've been raised in a small, redneck, community. I'm not a black sheep or anything. I like it here. I just grew up reading books like "Please Kill Me", and "This Band Could Be Your Life", and thinking how cool it would be to have a scene. Almost by accident I discovered this one.

This scene rules to. It's everything from country to hardcore. It took me till my mid thirties to find a scene to be apart of. I'm just fucking happy to be here.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 4:51 pm

This scene rules to. It's everything from country to hardcore. It took me till my mid thirties to find a scene to be apart of. I'm just fucking happy to be here.

can we set this guy up with talbot?
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 8:16 pm

how is talbot? i love the coles of the world. there are a few guys who come to shows at my place that are like cole.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm

COLES OF THE WORLD UNITE!

Everyone meet at the Guitar Wolf show June,7th. Make sure you stop and say "hi" to Scott.
Posted: Apr 10, 2011 9:29 pm

There's no good reason to say hi to Scott.
Every time I call him to tell a new joke, he hangs up on me. Every. Time.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 8:14 am

WHAT DO YOU CALL A CREW THAT CAN RAP LIKE THAT ...?
yo NWA call 'em mothafuckaz wack..
(yeah you know what time it iz, listen to why we call 'em wack)

They got a wacky wack record put o' wacky wack crews
Yo what about the lyrics?
That shit's wacky wack too
With a fucked up style and a fucked up show
Hey yo Ren, what about the scratchin', is it def?
Fuck no!
The mothafuckin' record is a mothafuckin' wack
The mothafuckin' cracka jack needs to step the fuck back ...

Do you want some of this?
Hell no ..
Dre the mothafuckin' doctor
Well for the record it's Ren and for the street it's Villain
Dre the mothafuckin' doctor
Well for the record it's Ren and for the street it's Villain
Yella boy, why don't you kick me one of them funky-ass beats?
My boy .. my boy .. my boy Ice Cube
Yo we got my homeboy Eazy E in de house
won't you tell 'em what your name iz?
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 8:16 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

what the shit was up with that one columnist the "irish rocker" who had these crazy assed conspiracy theories? one of them was about high ranking military officers/satanic child molesters in the presidio in sf? weird shit.

Wyatt Herp, you mean the gay dude that wore a fedora in his column pic?

I could never get through an entire article by that guy...I liked George Tabb's Ramones fan fiction.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 8:47 am

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of Mychael Boyrd or however you spell Michael in yiddish...that guy always did most the writing about conspiracy theories.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 9:14 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

To be fair, my last band broke up mostly because of my obsession with conspiracy theories, but consider this: You read a book and realize that what you were told was a KKK gunclub in your back yard, that liked to fly in their automatic machine guns via commuter plane...were realy corrupt police officers running guns for Oliver North...how would that make you feel? Furthermore most conspiracy theorists believe that same crime network helped orchestrate 9-11.

These motherfuckers were my neighbors and our other neighbor at that time was mysteriously shot in the head and then his child died in a mysterious highly publicized plane crash. Makes you wonder...

So I had to talk about it, and as the saying goes, the kitchen got to hot for some folks....

It doesn't matter, my new band has two burlesque dancers on drums...so far the only road block we've hit is that they too consider my photographs smut...do you believe that shit? Fucking burlesque dancers calling my photographs smut.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 12:41 pm

hey cole, maybe this can help you understand all that love for the mummies!
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Are you trying to get one over on me?
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

hell no!
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:26 pm

how can you not like this?
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:31 pm

nah, the irish rocker guy was only around for maybe a year or two in the early 90's. no pic of him in his column heading. sorta showed up and disappeared. most of the columns were conspiracy based stuff.
Posted: Apr 11, 2011 2:40 pm

how can you not like this?

That is badass. I didn't say I didn't like the Mummies. Anything I did say was out of newbie ignorance.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 9:24 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I wish MRR would get back to more scams to stick it to the man with....you know smash the state.

I want a go to resource for cheap bohemian DIY punk rock living....
I also want like cool articles about over throwing government or in case we have to defend ourselves from a crazy teabagger militia.

Just helpfull punk rock living tips...that should be a new zine Today's (Punk Rock) Living[i][/i]....that's sort of how MRR seemed to me when I was into it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 9:26 am

Yeah smash it to the state that's what I want...stick it to the man....damn hippies.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 12:25 pm

MMR is the "Sunset" for crusties, minus the redwood deck photos, 'cause redwoods are "really special, man"
Posted: Jun 29, 2011 8:32 pm

I'm going to recap the July issue.

Great interview with Seth of the Useless Eaters......DONE
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®