Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Italy - Amalfi Coast & Rome
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 12:02 pm

Hey,

Just looking for some Goner recommendations in Italy?

Amazingly enough my company is sending 1/2 the company to Italy for 5 days. We'll spend 36 hours in Rome, 1 day in Appechio, then Venice for two days. That part of the trip is going to be packed with traveling, eating and drinking, so we're taking extra time to relax at our own pace.

I'm looking for any recommendations in:

The Amalfi Coast (staying in Ravello) - we'll be there for 3-4 days on our own.

Rome - we'll have 2 extra days there

Any suggestions are appreciated! Cheers!
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm going to both in August/September ... I've been before, but that was 16 years ago. I remember Amalfi (the town) being incredible ... actually, the whole trip from Salerno to Sorento was. Capri was definitely a highlight too.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 2:28 pm

In Rome, eat pizza at Baffetto's on 114 Via del Governo Veccio, near the Pizza Navona. Definitely wander through the Forum and go see the Colosseum, though the Coliseum is expensive and usually has a bazillion tourists and dorks getting their picture taking with "gladiators". I actually enjoyed one bus tour out to the Catacombs and the Appian way. I guess all that is typical tourist shit. Sorry. Baffetto's is awesome though. Don't forget: the regional cuisine of Rome is offal.

If you walk across the river, check out the Castel Sant'Angelo, which is fun to clamber around. The Vatican was a zoo the one time I went, but I did see the Pope. Never been to the Amalfi Coast but hear lots of good things. Have fun. Or not. Whatever.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 3:19 pm

Amalfi Coast is dull.

I'd stay in Naples, it's a real kick in the ass.

Pompeii is cool, but don't miss Herculano. Also, Naples Art Museum has all the art from Pompeii.

AND .... PIZZA
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 3:26 pm

Damn it Troll...I was hoping those links were to pics of topless beaches.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 7:46 am

We're going in september, so this thread will come in very handy.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 11:40 am

Damn it Troll...I was hoping those links were to pics of topless beaches.

Ask and receive. Actually, that's the Capuchin Crypt, which I forgot seeing. Here's a link I found about weird Rome stuff. The crypt is cool as is the crime museum, but I had more time to choose things than you will.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 11:43 am

I said topless not headless! But that does look cool.
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 5:39 pm

We're going in september, so this thread will come in very handy.

We are?
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 8:15 pm

Another really cool thing to see, that's crazy if you actually visit this place when the event is happening, is the Palio in Siena. Totally cool, medieval town with an awesome square and neat vibe. I mean, go on a tour of the church and you can lean against the walls where medieval graffiti has been carved in. The Palio is this crazy horse race and is totally fun, but, again, it's super crowded as you would expect. Check out some video footage here. It's about 2 1/2 hours NW of Rome, so, you probably wouldn't get to see it, but, Jerry and Eric should go. TOTES!
Posted: Apr 7, 2011 8:16 pm

(superlative overload)
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 12:13 am

I saw the leaning tower sticking it's poor leaning head up over the skyline of Piza as I drove by on the fucking freeway.

Beat that, tourists!
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 7:16 am

We are?

Greece, Italy, and Spain. We'll get you back in time for gonerfest!
Posted: Apr 8, 2011 8:47 am

Fantastic. Just wait til I tell Jeannine I won't be around to help with the baby!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®