Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Endtables Update
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 5:52 pm

You might remember last year I was trying to reish an LP for an old Louisville punk band called Brain Dead. Well I just got done hanging out with a buddy I've known for about 15 years, and turns out he was in Brain Dead...I guess we just haven't discussed any of his old bands in the last couple years....so he says he has like 400 songs that they did, the original reel to reels, as well as a bunch of songs by this band The Uninvited, which also had the guitar player that was in Endtables for awhile, the dude's little brother. So anyway, when I was telling him how big the KBD stuff is now, he told me I could be president of his publishing company and distro unit...I told him 'Sweet. I'll do it.' So basicaly I have access to a whole bunch of 1st wave American punk that was by folks who got kicked out of Chicago art school and went to Murray State Art School since it was on the Kentucky Illinois border and they could get in state tuition. Then they either went back to Chitown or they came to Louisville. So I'm pretty fucking stoked about being able to put some of these bands out...maybe another KBD release. He knows what he's got and he's no dummy.

Anyway I've always wondered why as small as this scene is, how come I never met the Endtables guys...well he told me it's because the singer was realy eccentric by punk standards even, and died a few years ago. Then the guitar player is a drinker, and mostly works odd jobs and has a hard time getting acts together....I don't see how they can ever reunite...so that sucks. I was hoping to drive them to Gonerfest or something.

But yeah, alot of that scene was art students who moved here from Western Kentucky....we're going to make a webpage and shit...he's putting me in charge of most of that stuff...
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 5:54 pm

Kentucky KBD, that would be rad.
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 5:59 pm

Didnt the endtables play sxsw? did anyone go??
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 6:07 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Yeah, I read an interview with the guitar player last year...the one that's a drinker....my bud has stayed active in the local scene...so I'm going to bank on what he said, how the singer died. But I don't know, he's as drug addled as the rest of us.

I'd like to know the line up if they are playing out.
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 6:12 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

What I heard all last year is that the singer was in a band that was named after the address of a punk house they all lived in...but I never seem to catch that band...but that was the rumor. Hell I don't know. I'm going to go by what I heard today, unless someone knows something else.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a new band formed to do Endtable songs...sounds like some John Cook shenanigans.
Posted: Apr 1, 2011 6:25 pm

Oh yeah, this dude has 3 Brain Dead LP's...I told him they were worth money...he said he knows...that's when he told me about all the unreleased stuff he's just sitting on top of.
Posted: Apr 2, 2011 1:25 pm

Not sure you're right about the lead singer. Dave Dunlap Jr. did a pretty extensive interview with the guitar player when the reissue came out. I don't have a link handy but the piece and numerous conversations I've had with Senor Dunlap dispute the fact that the lead singer is dead.
Posted: Apr 2, 2011 3:09 pm

Posted: Apr 3, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks cBruce!
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 8:40 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Here's what he told me....he said he just found out that the singer died a year and a half ago. That's what he told me.

Here's the thing though, this guy doesn't ever get on the internet...and we live in a town full of alcoholics...so rumors go around. He told me no way in hell will Endtables be able to reunite though...maybe he's wrong, I hope he's wrong. He hasn't didn't have electricity for 3 years untill maybe a month ago...he didn't have electricity in his old place when we hung out regularly in the late 90's.....so yeah.

But the real point of this thread is that he's sitting on a fucking stock pile of early 80's midwestern punk rock.

We're going to do an archival webpage with MP3's...and then I'll probbably do a KBD.....
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 8:43 am

So basically, word going round here w/ the old punker townies is that the singer of Endtables is dead. Maybe Razoragogo can look into it also....Joe from Stoner Moms might have heard something....
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 8:48 am

So basically to reiterate, in recent months my buddy from around the block heard that the singer from Endtables died like a year ago...so they can't reunite. I hope he's wrong but he was fairly adamant about it. I believe him because he's still active, easy to find, and always has his ears to the tracks....but still, rumors circulate....people thought I had moved to Europe for 5 or 6 years....no, I just dropped out of the bar scene...whatever.
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 10:56 am

http://the-endtables.blogspot.com/

Singer is alive.
They played at sxsw.
Is your google broken?
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 11:36 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Well hell. John is the one that told me he was dead. Brent didn't know the status of any of them last time we talked. All I know is that John has shit tons of old tapes to dig through. Drunk Wino, Uninvited and more...alot of unreleased studio shit. It's basically the Endtables scene that everyone's been hankering for more off.

Singer of Endtables is alive..I'll mention it to him.
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 11:39 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

No I don't google The Endtables...I sit around drunk and listen to loud mouth punks harp on about the Louisville scene and who's dead and who's living.

Could have googled it, but I don't do jack on with computers on the weekends.

Also got tapes of Brent and John's lsd band....
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 11:49 am

Carney might be aware of this, but Brent played with The Endtables as the Endtables at one point....it was actually his x-wife Ronnie that told me about the KBD with The Endtables back in 97 or 98 when I was still a teenager....

But Endtables played with different lineups for like 10 years supposedly.
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 12:41 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

http://history.louisvillehardcore.com/index.php?title=Tewligans

Check it out...since The Endtables had frequent lineup changes it could be that my buddy John was talking about one of the other folks that were in the band...but he was adamant that they couldn't reunite, then again he didn't believe me when I told him how popular they were getting.

Anyway, I know a few folks from those bands, John thinks he may have some Endtables tapes, but I also know some folks with choice cuts from that era from bands not listed there. At least 2 other kickass hardcore songs, one with Led Zeppelin inspired vocals by my friend James...

If I'm picking out the tracks for a Kentucky KBD you know it's going to kick ass....
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm mainly interested in putting out the lesser known bands from that era, mainly folks I know and am cool with....in other words Squirrel Bait are too popular and established to even consider...well I would consider them, but I think I can come up with more obscure quality shit.
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 1:16 pm

Oh yeah there's a very cool book that came out 2 years ago called Bold Beginnings: The Louisville Punk Scene 78 - 83

http://www.louisvillenoise.com/v2/releases/noise23.htm

Not focusing on that shit either...I think I have access to some cooler stuff even.
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 3:35 pm

This thread has inspired me.

I have decided that I am going to perform a heart transplant on one of my buddies. I'll probably do it in my front yard in a year or so. I am not qualified and have no medical training and I will not even google instructions. I will however ask a bunch of old doctors or punkers who may or may not be dead and get tips from them. Wish me luck.
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 5:50 pm

Good luck! There's a very cool book that came out 2 years ago called Brave Endings: The Louisville Underground Surgery Scene 1934-48

http://www.louisvillemayormaynotbedead.com/v2/deceased/cellaroperation s.html

Not focusing on that shit, either!
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 9:12 am

Jason I don't get what you're driving at? I was picking up some grass on friday after work, ran into my buddy who told me he had a new mixing board...went over to his house where he showed me his stock pile of old recordings by various bands....told me the singer of the Endtables was dead and they couldn't reunite....so when I got home I posted a message on Goner board about it, and then I went out again and didn't think about it again until Monday.

If you ask me, if you have a point it's probbably pretty damn gay.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 10:39 am

Fortune cookie says: Love the truth and forgive error
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 12:01 pm

Good luck w/ your project, Tiger Blinds.

If we're talking about the same John, though...uh...yeah...maybe not the most reliable source of information sometimes...
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 12:49 pm

Did you know John and I share the same B-day?

We called eachother and wished eachother happy Birthday....I also share the same B-day as my uncle but he didn't call me and I didn't call him.

John has saved every piece of music memoribilia he has ever been associated with...and he's not a junkie like the rest of his associates. If you had asked me when I was 19 if either of us would still be alive at this point I would have said No, and back then he used to creep me out some. But considering we're both still alive, I trust him more than most. He's also got a good Simpson's collection.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 12:54 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh yeah, and John gets a bum rap from many folks who pretend to be sane, but we know better. Let me just say that John went to the same Art BA program as my Mom in the same years and as far as I know finished...his parents were both professors...people try to make him out to be a nut, but it's the other way around.

I got to stick up for him. Sure he can't keep track of who's in every flavor of the month band around town but that's because he actually has a life.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 1:18 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

Maybe we are not talking about the same John...but if he is, I don't think he's a nut at all, and certainly was not trying to insinuate such a thing. And if he's clean, I'm very glad to hear it.
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 2:41 pm

I think we're talking about a different John then. Does the John you're talking about have blue hair?
Posted: Apr 5, 2011 3:28 pm

Not last I saw him.
Posted: Apr 6, 2011 8:05 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Oh you're probbably thinking of John Cook....no way, he's not old enough for this scene....his claim to notoriety is w/ the 90's scene....this is the KBD scene...early 80s.

But yeah I aint seen that guy in a few years, I think I saw him at the Shellac show at that church in germantown 2 years ago. I mentioned him because I'm never surprised by some of the gimmicks he pulls, but he's an alright guy. To many Johns in this town, and that's not the right one.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 9:00 am

Anyway I got the backstory on all of this nonsense ^.

I could have gone straight to one of my reliable sources, but you know, it's more fun just to wonder around and have something to talk about when you're getting drunk. Anyway, the original drummer of The Endtables died recently...not the singer. So yeah, lets get them on Gonerfest and let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

As far as the Kentucky KBD goes...I'm trying to get set up to transfer all of the tapes my bud has, but his old band Brain Dead are already groaning about how he has no rights to any of it unless they're on board and we have a crazy wife involved. I told my bud Barber who helped with some of thier stuff in the day, that they were all out of touch. It's a matter of saving the tapes at this point, and no body is going to get paid...especially if I'm the one putting out the record...I'm talking about a comp anyway. I didn't dare make the statements that KBD's are anonymous anyway and that I could easily boot it with no paper trail....I'm not that stupid, considering they're already throwing around throwing around the L (lawsuit) word. So basically, as this point all I'm doing is transferring these tapes my bud has to see what all he's got. I could easily pool all of my resources and do a Kentucky KBD without Brain Dead, then it would be their loss for not being a part off it...all because of domineering hanger on-ers. So much shit for a KBD band that's 30 years dead...sad but true.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am

I'm hungover...sorry about that rediculous grammatical static today.
Posted: Apr 12, 2011 9:15 am

Anyway if Dunlap can't get in touch with them or pursuade them, I have a buddy who's stayed tight with them...and I can help make whatever arrangements via my buddy Barber. People coming at them from both sides might get them motivated.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®