Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The Byrds appreciation thread
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 9:46 am

I was listening to the Byrds box set (There Is A Season) and it re-struck me how many cool songs they have that are ignored or overshadowed by the three radio hits (Tutn!Turn!Turn!, Tambourine Man, and 8 miles High).
Lover of the Bayou and This Wheel's on Fire may be two of the coolest, ragged songs ever.
And others like Chestnut Mare, Tulsa County, Oil in My Lamp, Ballad of Easy Rider, Wasn't Born to Follow (is like taking mushrooms for 2 minutes), Mr. Spaceman(is like blacking out on absinthe), You Ain't Going Nowhere, She Don't Care About Time, Jesus is Just Alright, etc, etc. And yeah, I know plenty of their catalog are covers, but they are awesome.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 10:07 am

All of their albums are worth listening to at least once, but I am partial to the first five. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is OK but I'll take Gilded Palace over it anyway.

The Gene Clark songs on the first two are incredible, and the first side of the first album still knocks me out.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 10:35 am

I went on a Byrds kick a couple of months ago. I won a copy of "Preflyte" from some jingle-jangle folk-rocker twatwaffel off of ebay. It was a rare S. African pressing too but I never received it. = (

The opening chords on "Rock 'n' Roll Star" reminds me of the Screemin' Mee Mees' "Dog Fishin'".
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 3:16 pm

McGuinn is insufferably arrogant and quavery voiced geezer now but dammit that guy OWNS the electric 12 string. I think Gene would have been ok to stay in The Byrds if Crosby had been in that car instead of poor Bobby Fuller.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm

The Byrds can do no wrong in my book.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 10:42 pm

great haircuts!!!!!!!!11111
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 10:53 pm

and they "PWN" vocal harmonies, of course! one of my favorites is "it won't be wrong" - every time they kick in singing "every time i see you smile..." with these completely over-the-top wall-of-sound vocals, i gotta smile!
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 12:02 am | Edited by: Cole

I'm a fan of alt-country....Sweethearts of the Rodeo is one of my favorites of all time. I love that album. If anyone has a vinyl copy that they want to get rid of, let me know.
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 7:00 am

I appreciate the Byrds.
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 8:21 am

great haircuts!!!!!!!!11111
Check out Hillman's hair in The Byrds
then
In the Flying Burrito Bros = (Beavis!)
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 9:24 am

Ive always thought Nortorious Byrd Brothers should be mentioned in the same breath with Piper at the gates of Dawn and the like...one of the great 1st wave psychedelic LPs
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 9:42 am | Edited by: Thee Gilded Chimera

I'm listening to the Byrds right now. I've gotta say, the Byrds make me proud to be an American.

Is Micheal Baker in jail? I have no doubt he would have something to say about the Byrds.
Posted: Feb 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Micheal Baker in jail?
Is being a creep illegal?
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 8:49 am

Is being a creep illegal?

I hope not. I'd have to go into hiding then.
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 9:10 am

Check out Hillman's hair in The Byrds
then
In the Flying Burrito Bros = (Beavis!)

good point! imagine the meticulous care that went into depoodleing this guy for the byrds. it's that kind of dedication that makes a good band great.
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 11:58 am

The first six are the best. Dr. Byrd and Mr Hyde and Ballad of the Easy Rider have their moments too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®