Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rev. John Wilkins
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 11:08 pm

A minister blues playing buddy of mine has been giving my kid some lessons. He wouldn't take any money so I wanted to do something nice for him. I had read about this guy in the Commercial Appeal and ordered it for him thinking he might dig it. When I did a little research and heard him for myself, I was blown away. Go to this blog and listen to the song posted at the top, It's soulful and awesome.

http://www.arthurmag.com/2011/02/02/new-music-reverend-john-wilkins/

This guy is preaching in some small church in my state of MS. It's almost unbelievable. How is this song not a hit on some chart?
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 11:42 pm

WOW That was moving. Gonna order me one.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 5:02 am

NicE! Thanks, Cole!
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 6:43 am

Goner's got it:

http://www.goner-records.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa th=3&products_id=6941

The pre- and post-war recordings by his father, Rev. Robert Wilkins, are all incredible.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 9:22 am

YEAH! this has been in heavy rotation at my house since I stumbled across it a week ago. Vinyl please.

Apparently, the Rev. is behind the guitar on this stunner:
OV Wright You're Gonna Make Me Cry
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Yeah. Great CD put out by Big Legal Mess and Produced by Amos Harvey - same person that produced the Precious Bryant CDs a few years ago (on Terminus Records). Backing band for JW CD is a great cast of Oxford folk - including Amos's brother-in-law, Jake Fussell. JW is the Reverend at Hunter's Chapel in Como, MS - the same church Fred McDowell attended and recorded in with Annie & the HC Singers. JW and band played d.b.a. in New Orleans a coupla weeks ago and apparently killed it there. I think a Memphis show would be great!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 3:54 pm

the same church Fred McDowell attended and recorded in with Annie & the HC Singers

that recording (Amazing Grace on Testament) is another must hear, by the way
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Yes!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes!

Si!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Yes!

Si!

Ja! (russian?)
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Adam from the Tearjerkers plays on this record! It's solid. Bruce did a nice job.
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 5:52 pm

the same church Fred McDowell attended and recorded in with Annie & the HC Singers

that recording (Amazing Grace on Testament) is another must hear, by the way

Agreed. An all-time great in my book.
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah, like I mentioned in my first post I sent this as a gift. I mean I actually sent it to his house. Otherwise, I would've kept it. I gotta order me one now.

I'm not that into soul and blues and gospel, I appreciate it, but haven't really dug into it. I'm kind of working my way there. I'm listening to alot of 60's garage right now. After I ordered that cd for my buddy. I read a few reviews and found that "You Can't Hurry God" and was blown away. I listened to it over, and over and over. I know I could get to love this music, I just haven't been exposed to it alot.

Man, I know I always sound real nieve about alot of the music from where I live, but I grew up assuming that if it was from around here it must suck. All the action was in DC or NY or LA. Even in Memphis, an hour down the road, the only bands I ever heard about was Saliva or Tora Tora or some hip hop.

That's why I always sound so fucking awe struck about music from around here. Man, when I first heard bands like Overnight Lows, and Los Buddies, that really blew my mind. I mean they live in MS!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®