Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / NEW GHOSTFACE OMG!!!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am

I just posted about this in the binge/obsession thread, but I figure it warrants its own thread because it rules so hard. Is anyone else as obsessed with Apollo Kids as I am (besides NickG)? It came out in late December, but I just heard it for the first time last night and immediately flipped out. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a new LP. It is top to bottom hits - all rockers, no skits and no filler, unlike Fishscale.

The new N.E.R.D. is pretty good so far, too (only on track 3, so we'll see.) Seems like I get more excited about new rap/hip hop/r&b than punk/garage rock these days.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am

i got a download of it months ago

DO NOT LIKE.

then again i don't like pretty toney either.

IRON MAN OR BUST. top 3 wu solo alb.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:40 am | Edited by: Crystal Lake

you crazy, but I also have very limited exposure to new music (rap or otherwise.)

Nick and I were just talking about this last night - telling a rap fan that I'm into the new Ghostface might be just like someone at work coming up to me and saying they love the new White Stripes or Black Keys or some shit. I could be a total square, but if it's hip hop heavily influenced by soul, funk, jazz or rock and roll I am probably into it. Not interested in Drake and TI and that crap.

I know you listen to a lot more rap than I do... recommend some stuff for a me to check out! Think along the lines of Wu-related stuff, Outkast, going back to my teens I was a big fan of the Pharcyde, etc...
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:51 am

I'm also kind of obsessed with this song , even though it's basically Quiet Storm and it came out on Mountain Dew's record label.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 11:58 am | Edited by: The Driver

I gotta give props to Black Milk's "Album of The Year" - not perfect, but full of unexpected surprises (great drum sounds!)

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm also kind of obsessed with this song , even though it's basically Quiet Storm and it came out on Mountain Dew's record label.

heh - thanks for the link, I liked that - Afternoon Hip-Hop?
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:04 pm

I know you listen to a lot more rap than I do... recommend some stuff for a me to check out! Think along the lines of Wu-related stuff, Outkast, going back to my teens I was a big fan of the Pharcyde, etc...

i only listen to mid-90s and earlier unfortunately. i guess i heard a couple good things up to the mid '00s when christine was working at caroline.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:06 pm

I like mid '90s... it doesn't have to be new.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Afternoon Hip-Hop?

either that or Yacht Hip-Hop
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:18 pm

shit is pretty good. Wish these dudes would get away from every tune "featuring" somebody else...and they granmama! The beats are tight and Im pretty sure its not even the Rza!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:30 pm

Bazooka you need to get hip to my friend's label DOPE FOLKS. Nothing but reissues of obscure and/or never before released stuff from 87-93.

http://www.dopefolksrecords.com
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

whoa, thanks Kevin!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm | Edited by: Stephanie

last thing i was blown away by was Nikki Minaj guest appearance on Kanye West's Monster! HOLY HELL! Chills!

speaking of Bazooka Joe recommendations, the the other day i was thinking about this reggae comp that you had made years ago..i remember it being you. And actually I don't remember the comp but the thread you wrote describing it and offering a copy to anyone who wanted it. I want good reggae suggestions! I was gonna ask but figured it was so long ago that you don't have it anymore...and maybe I'm remembering the wrong person?

I'm into the new Ghostface might be just like someone at work coming up to me and saying they love the new White Stripes or Black Keys or some shit. I could be a total square

that's hilarious.

tabby and i have been digging on Janella Monae! Her album is crazy. He got to see her in September and said she and her band were amazing. She's super cute, too. Stems are playing a "prom" tonight and i wanna channel her ala her tightrope vid!!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

JanellE
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 1:04 pm

whoa there's a hip hop thread on the goner board!

+1 Black Milk.

Really want to pick up this record too:
http://www.submerge.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Cod e=UR-082
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm not so into the new Nikki Minaj LP, but I really like some of the tracks on the Beam Me Up, Scotty... mixtape.
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm

kevin, i dug that site already. so cool! i wish i didn't have so many other vinyl purchase priorities and such a thin wallet.

stephanie, i tihnk that was me. i'll actually be in motherfucking JAMAICA tomorrow afternoon and staying for a week, and i made this flyer to take with me. hope i get some calls. will fill in the number spot once i get it.

BIM!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 2:07 pm

supreme clientele is thee best ghostface
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm

christine loves that one, but i've never heard it. better than iron man, really?

what can top this?

another wu banger!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 2:12 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Posted: Feb 11, 2011 2:29 pm

and i made this flyer to take with me.

awesome! yeah, good luck!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 3:29 pm

Really want to pick up this record too:

whoa - that's pretty cool - thanks for the head's up
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Both Black Milk and Nick Speed sound worth picking up. Also, Black Milk is coming to Vancouver this month. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm

it's good, the apollo kids, no question. i think there are a couple of OMG tracks on it...Drama and the last track. plus any album is better with Jim Jones on it. JOnes could read a take-out menu and I'd be like word. Supreme Clientel and Iron Man are THE true OMG Ghost achievements . Apollo still delivers and it's a nice foil to the kid cudi's of the worrld at the moment. here;s a wack video that was obviously directed by a caucasion, but it's a fun ghost track and presents further proof that Black Thought gets better with age
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 9:11 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

christine loves that one, but i've never heard it. better than iron man, really?
I think so!
NUTMEG is the joint - sprinkle a little snow inside the Optimo!
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 9:16 pm

[Ghostface]
Yeah.. whassup y'all, whassup?
This is Ghostface, straight from Staten Island
You know.. I don't really mean no harm..
but it just happens you know
when I step approach a motherfuckin wack nigga..
that tryin to spit his darts and can't spit 'em
Check it out though.. aiyyo..

Scientific, my hand kissed it
Robotic let's think optimistic
You probably missed it, watch me dolly dick it
Scotty watty cop it to me, big microphone hippie
Hit Poughkepsie crispy chicken verbs throw up a stone richie
Chop the O, sprinkle a lil' snow inside a Optimo
Swing the John McEnroe, rap rock'n'roll
Tidy Bowl, gung-ho pro, Starsky with the gumsole
Hit the rump slow, parole kids, live Rapunzel
but Ton' stizzy really high, the vivid laser eye guide
Jump in the Harley ride, Clarks I freak a lemon pie
I'm bout it, bout it - Lord forgive me, Ms. Sally shouted
Tracey got shot in the face, my house was overcrowded
You fake cats done heard it first
On how I shitted on your turf
at times, Cuban Link verse yo
Check out the rap kingpin, summertime fine jewelry drippin
Face in the box, I seen your ear twitchin
As soon as I drove off, Cap' came to me with three sawed-offs
Give one to Rae', let's season they broth
Lightning rod fever heaters, knock-kneeder Sheeba for hiva
Diva got rocked from the receiver bleeder
Portfolio, lookin fancy in the pantry
My man got bigger dimes son, your shit is scampi
Base that, throw what's in your mouth, don't waste that
See Ghost lampin in the throne with King Tut hat
Straight off

Yeah.. yeah..
I just wan't y'all niggaz
to smack all y'all niggaz, and niggarettes
Universal death threats, yeah
This be the God Body, yeah no doubt
Judge Wise

Aiyyo spiced out Calvin Coolidge, loungin with 7 duelers
The Great Adventures of Slick, lickin with 6 rugers
Rock those, big boy Bulotti's out of Woodridge
Porch for the biggest beer, season giraffe ribs
Rotissiere ropes, hickory scented mint scented glaze
Perfected find truth within self, let's smoke
All hail to my hands, 50 thou' appraisal
Dirty nose with the nasal drip, click flipped on fam
Dancin with Blanch and them bitches, flickin goose pictures
Kick down the ace of spades, snatch Jack riches
Olsive compulsive lies flies with my name on it
Dick made the cover now count, how many veins on it
Scooby snack jurassic plastic gas booby trap
Ten years workin for me, you wanna tap shit?
Bung bung bung! Your bell went rung rung rung!
Staple-Land's where the ambulance don't come

Yeah, you see what I mean?
You see what I mean, you motherfuckin crybabies?
Get in line punk! You should be studyin your odds
instead of studyin me!
That's how you lost your first job punk
Now get in line, for you get your lil' thick-ass tossed up!
Shit! I studied under Bruce Lee nigga
He was on the fourth, I was on the third

[RZA]
Pass me a honey-dipped spliff, black mental cause continental drift
One whiff of Pow U gets my Divine stiff
Brick rock, late night, hear the tick tock of my clock
I used to run up and pick, a crab lock
Hit his stash, dip back, to the Lab, make him flip
Uptown, BOO-DOOP, now we back on your ass
Incognito, fatal aikido blow, pop a needle
Dick a knock-knee hoe, bust out her fetal
Nine inch long strong, Bobby pop the bitch thongs
Spit on her, then I banged on my chest like Kong King
Merciless Meng, point the killa bee sting
ring DINGS, right through your head BING
Snap the wing off of bats, my battleaxe tongue hacks tracks
Once the ball drop, I'ma snatch ten jacks
Pass the crack to a niggarette, puff a looseleaf cigarette
while your man search the internet for +Bob Digitech in Stereo+
Crazy as Shapiro
Multiply myself ten times standin next to zero
And snap my fingers like the Fonz
and bag me a golden bronze skinned girl with the honey blonde
dip hair, make a nigga flip in his chair
Had the armpit shaved off perfect with the Nair
Stomach fat as a pancake for her man's sake
Used to fuck her when she menestraute
but it made her hyperventilate

[Ghostface]
BROOKLYN!
I know, I know, I know, I know
QUEENS!
SHAOLIN!
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know
BRONX!
JERSEY!
I know, I know, I know
LONG ISLAND!
I know, I know, I know, BREAK IT DOWN!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 11:55 am

For the purpose of expediency:
.New video -
.Record deal - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/02/odd-futures-tyler-t he-creator-signs-one-album-deal-to-xl-recordings-.html
.TV appearance on Wednesday - http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/episode-guide/
.MellowHype - ElephunkCircus -
.AssMilk -
.Clownin' -
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm

I've been diggin' the white Fresh Prince.

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 1:42 pm

That Earl the Sweatshirt shit is ill. Hes part of a collective from L.A. called Odd Future Wolfgang Kill Them All. Out there, crazy shit!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 1:56 pm | Edited by: colin

not fer everyone thats for sure.

Earl Sweatshirt

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Isaiah Toothtaker
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm

Love Ironman but Supreme Clientele is his best. Peep the George Jackson sample on Child's Play. So good.

I love the new one too but Ghost is my favorite MC going and has been for years.
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 9:14 am

and i made this flyer to take with me.

awesome! yeah, good luck!

quick check in from ja, got a few good sides so far. meet up with natty in a couple hours, nuff fiya pon i.
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 9:48 am

Scientific, my hand kissed it
Robotic let's think optimistic
You probably missed it, watch me dolly dick it
Scotty watty cop it to me, big microphone hippie
Hit Poughkepsie crispy chicken verbs throw up a stone richie
Chop the O, sprinkle a lil' snow inside a Optimo
Swing the John McEnroe, rap rock'n'roll
Tidy Bowl, gung-ho pro, Starsky with the gumsole
Hit the rump slow, parole kids, live Rapunzel
but Ton' stizzy really high, the vivid laser eye guide
Jump in the Harley ride, Clarks I freak a lemon pie

i have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 9:54 am

i like this beat (and yes, i can imagine 50 cent is not exactly the underground realness of the streets):

i wonder why it took gangster rap until the early 00's to finally come up with this!
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:46 am

Yeah F-Dub, I dunno what that dude's on about either. I'm stickin' to white teenage rappers from here on out. This is shit I can understand:

Amsterdam weed spending euro's
Get the herb rolled
Lets relax
Take your shoes off and kick it back
We escaped the world
Escaped the stress
But I don't give a fuck if the house a mess
Cuz we gonna handle that later
We gonna handle that later
Right now lets get that paper and smile for all them haters

Aye cream cheese and a bagel
Have a glass of milk and an ego
I'm rockin pjs and no shirt
I smoke weed eat yogurt

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Off the subject, but this was one of my all time favorites back in the day! Just Ice is very underrated. Mantronix was king of the beats back in the day, but went soft and started makin house beats later on!

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 10:08 am

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Posted: Feb 17, 2011 6:55 pm

is that andre williams in the danny brown video?
thats what i thought.
Posted: Feb 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Ghost n' Rae perform on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight.
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 8:43 am

That Danny Brown stuff is great. Asked a female friend in the D about him and she sent me a bunch of his mixtapes. Also claims to have had a torrid affair with him and be the owner to the Prince shirt he's wearing in the Metro Times piece. Didn't necessarily believe her until I heard shout-outs to her all over one of his songs.

Thanks for posting that shit The Driver.
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 9:47 am

Ghost n' Rae perform on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight
missed it but odd future on fallon last week was ridics. straight kilt it.
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 11:07 am

Fallon's on hulu so you should be able to catch it later today or tomorrow, whenever they post 'em.
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 11:49 am

you're welcome
Danny Brown for Goner Fest 8!

Odd Future tear up Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
Posted: Feb 19, 2011 12:22 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Yeah, the article didn't have me holding my breath, but I like the Cyclops cut!
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 6:48 pm

Odd Future was nuts. For your info, Earl Sweatshirt is in that group as well but apparently his parents sent him to rehab! FREE EARL SWEATSHIRT !!! I thought Ghostface and Raekwon were stale on Fallon Friday night!
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 10:16 pm

-First of all, thank you for posting this topic. I have to admit, I haven't been listening to music as much as I would like to and this thread forced me to think about music, especially hip hop in a way that I haven't allowed myself to for awhile. Due to that, I discovered recordings that I wouldn't have otherwise. I tried to express how I was feeling around the time that Roc Raida and Guru died but I couldn't put those feelings into words then.

-I slept on Ghost's last two albums, mainly because I've been obsessed with the Wu for the last few years and compulsive listening coupled with an emotional investment led to me getting burnt out and disillusioned for a bit. But also partly because Rae, Ghost and Meth have been cranking out a decent amount of material for the past three years - and as I haven't been listening to as much music as I had in the past, it's been more difficult to stay up-to-date. I also realized how shallow some of the Clan are as human beings, which caused me to lose interest for a bit. It wasn't that I had misconceptions before, I just grew tired of Raekwon acting like he is critically concerned with skill and credibility in hip hop - as a culture, when in reality the bottom line for Rae and most other emcees is the pay cheque. His collaboration with Kanye West and Justin Bieber, as well as RZA's endorsement was very revealing. I also got tired of the half-hearted and superficial religious vernacular/proclamations, and the awkward and sometimes embarrassingly politically incorrect comments in interviews (remarks about women, homosexuals, etc). It's sort of difficult for me to divorce myself emotionally from the Wu Tang Clan's music, because their most powerful music is their most personal music. So it becomes trying to listen to them hypocritically rapping about how dangerous drugs are or how their fathers abandoned their families.

-I still haven't had time to listen to Apollo Kids closely. The few tracks that I have heard sound strong. The guitar sample on In tha Park is dusty! I love guitar samples in hip hop; the-fuzzier/dirtier/crunchier-the better. Never been done better than Mob Style on Kidnapped:

-I partially agree with your comment regarding skits. Some albums get bogged down by too many skits that detract from the music, but Wu built their careers on the formula that they established on their debut - wherein the skits played a major part in developing their theatrical style.

-As far as Ghost's top joints of all times, without stressing myself too hard to form a definitive list and only considering tracks in which he was the main artist (since many of my favourite GFK lines are on Wu Tang Clan tracks, or features on other peoples' albums - like OB4CL and Mobb Deep's Right Back at You) on The Infamous):
All That I Got Is You, Block Rock, Daytona 500, Gorilla Hood, Biscuits, Mighty Healthy, Good Times pt. 2

-telling a rap fan that I'm into the new Ghostface might be just like someone at work coming up to me and saying they love the new White Stripes or Black Keys or some shit. I could be a total square
That type of reasoning makes sense, however the divisions between mainstream and underground hip hop are a lot less clearly defined than with other styles of music. The Wu Tang Clan, Rakim, Big L, and Nas are about as mainstream as you can get - but they are equally respected by casual fans and hip hop heads.

-Nikki Minaj
I really haven't taken the time to listen to her properly yet, but what I've heard is good. I'm glad she's received so much attention.
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 10:25 pm | Edited by: stealth387

-i have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
Ghostface explained how he formed the style that he used on Nutmeg in this Wake Up Show interview:

Hip hop from the Golden Age encouraged slang usage as a marker of skill. Most slang can be understood in context and comparatively from listening to how it is used by various emcees, though sometimes a deeper level of study is required in order to decode the meaning of slang. Slang is often regional, but can also be racial, or religious, and in some cases slang is created for the purpose of a particular song. For example, most of the Wu Tang Clan's music can be decoded through an understanding of New York and Five-Percenter slang; though in some cases slang is likely detached from meaning altogether. In the case of Nutmeg, Ghost adopted an especially abstract and rhythmical style of slang – which reflects a high level of skill. The delivery is rhythmically stimulating and the words are meant to inspire mental imagery.

These links might be useful in general:
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6925
http://users.skynet.be/Wu-Tang/wu%20BIBLE.htm
http://www.blackapologetics.com/supremealpha.html
http://www.blackapologetics.com/mathdetail.html

I can decode much of the slang in that passage from Nutmeg but reconfiguring the meaning of the individual words doesn't help me to recover any sense of meaning overall. Ghostface is likely rapping about the same types of things that he discusses in most of his other songs: girls, food, drugs, money; but the way that he phrases those themes transmits meaning on a deeper level. You can read meaning into Nutmeg if you want but for the most part it is form over function. Ghostface and other Wu Tang emcees are rapping for a particular in-crowd audience. I have in mind parallel developments in graffiti culture. Write a rhyme in graffiti, if taken as a re-contextualization, Ghostface writes graffiti in the form of rhymes. The same way in which Wild Style progressed and became more and more unintelligible, as a way of reaching a higher standard of art and a way of conveying a coded message to an insider audience, Ghostface also elevated his style of rapping by making his rhymes more abstract and not only difficult to perform but also more complicated to understand. To put it simply, Ghost was on some next level shit.
An interesting question might be: how did the Wu Tang Clan achieve popular mainstream success while maintaining an exclusive style of music? A more pressing question might be: is the abstract style of rapping still relevant to hip hop? Slang is no doubt still a major aspect of hip hop, but I feel like current trends have been gravitating towards a dumbed-down style of rapping. Nutmeg is an extreme example of abstract rapping; do abstract, nearly incomprehensible lyrics still reflect a high standard of rhyme skill? Punch-lines have always been important, but I feel like there is a greater emphasis on punch-lines with younger rappers and perhaps in order for the meaning of the rhymes to be effective it is necessary to simplify the way it is phrased. That being said, the punch-lines with the greatest level of skill involve multiple levels of understanding.
Posted: Feb 20, 2011 10:32 pm

-recommend some stuff for a me to check out!
I wish I had time to compile a decent hip hop primer or something, but it's more convenient for me to suggest some classic, without question, essentials; some recordings that reflect the changes that have been going on in hip hop since the mid 90s - since that seems to be where you and others here stopped listening/caring; and then let you know about some of the things that have blown my mind most recently. Please forgive me if it seems like I'm trying to come off as some sort of an authority on hip hop, it's just something that I'm very passionate about. It is important for me to write about hip hop in order to organize my own thoughts. However, the best way to understand music is by listening to it. Theory usually complicates even the simplest ideas.

A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory, People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, Midnight Marauders
Az - Doe or Die, A.W.O.L.
Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, The Unseen Picture
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Black Sheep – A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, Non-Fiction
Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf – Big Shots
Common Sense – Can I Borrow a Dollar?, Resurrection
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full, Follow the Leader
Da Youngstas – Somethin 4 Da Youngsta's
Das EFX – Dead Serious
GangStarr – Step in the Arena, Hard to Earn, Moment of Truth
Gravediggaz – 6 Feet Deep
Group Home – Livin' Proof
KMD - Black Bastards
Main Source – Breaking Atoms
Mobb Deep – The Pre-Infamous demo tape, The Infamous
Nas - Illmatic
O.C. - Word...Life
Onyx – Bacdafucup, All We Got Iz Us, Bacdafucup Part II
Pete Rock & CL Smooth – Mecca and the Soul Brother
Scha Dara Parr – WILD FANCY ALLIANCE, 5th Wheel to the Coach
Showbiz & AG - Runaway Slave
Souls of Mischief – 93 'til Infinity
Smif-n-Wessun – Dah Shinin'

J Dilla and 9th Wonder have been the most important figures in hip hop since the mid 90s. Their influence is comparable to the influence of DJ Premier and Pete Rock in the early 90s. Due to the internet there has been a lot of attention towards indie hip hop. MF Doom and Madlib deserve to be noted as two of the main figures in this trend. Many of the most exciting recent developments in hip hop have been regionally specific and have usually developed alongside trends in dance and fashion. Some of these would include; Baltimore club, New Orleans bounce, jerkin' on the West Coast, and lite feet on the East Coast.

I really loved how accessible and raw jerkin' was when it blew up. A sense of competition was at the heart of the movement but in the beginning there were only a handful of recognized dance moves and they were so sloppy and simple that anyone could perform them, which is part of what made it so exciting. Musically, jerkin' drew from trends in other areas of hip hop, like pitched up and down vocals. Production was minimal, repetitive, sexual, lo-fi. Lyrics, fashion, hairstyles (I was pleased to see the return of the high top fade), drew influence from 80s and 90s popular culture. I have no idea if jerkin' survived 2010, I get the feeling it probably died out. There were kids saying it was dead in 2009 so... If you're interested in the music, the Jerkin' With Jhawk mixtape was the foundation. Also check out Go[i/] by Only Members, [i]Go Hard by Them PRangers, and Liquified Dopeness by iLLie. Jerkin' might not be for everyone; but I admired it because it was creative, colourful, by-and-for kids, confident, and sexy.

Other things to look into, new and old:
Damu the Fudgemunk, Marquis Porter (straight outta Detroit! Flex Mathews, Sharkula, Kidz in the Hall, Dead Prez, Count Bass D, The LOX, Akinyele, Reks, Paperboy, Log Cabin Crew (and anything else MURS is a part of), Nas et al. – Rock-a-bye Homeboy freestyle on Stretch n' Bobbito (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHwQa68HIo&feature=related), Buddha Brand, MC Solaar, Cormega, Urban Thermo Dynamics, Nas – Déjà vu( Mobb Deep – The Bridge 94 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_177bNdNVA&feature=related), EAST END x Yuri, Maspyke (The Blackout), Edan (Beauty and the Beat), Frek Sho, Ghetto Concept, The Crooklyn Dodgers (all three iterations), UGK, The Wascals, Shabazz the Disciple, M.O.P., A+, 9th Wonder's remix of 2nd Childhood by Nas, Invincible by Capone and Noreaga, Black Moon on Stretch n' Bobbito (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeL_rjowY8U), Notorious B.I.G.'s The Last King of New York demo tape, all star hip hop performance from the final episode of the Arsenio Hall Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ekFI-Tdd8), Camp Lo, Drug Wars by Murda Mase (before he was a minister, before he was a Bad Boy, Mase spit daggars), Cool Kids, Redlife, Homeliss Derelix, The Healer by Erykah Badu, Kool G. Rap, Totally Insane (Direct From the Backstreet), Mathematik, Ten Thieves, Lo Down, Coma-Chi, Real Live, Nice & Smooth, Positive K, Slum Brothers, Strictly Roots, Rye Rye, Ghetto Dwellaz, Wale (he does stuff just for the pay cheque, see: Chillin feat. Lady Gaga, but he's also capable of things like this: also check out The Mixtape About Nothing, and the 100 Miles & Running mixtape), Biz Markie and Redman freestyle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E724Uz6x-oc ), 9th Wonder – Take You There, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_rkwne4D_A) 22 years (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXon-iWR5Po), Smooth Da Hustler, Nine, Gang Green, Jazz Liberatorz, Mistaken Identity (Beautifully Absurd), Hezekiah (Hurry Up & Wait), Leaders of the New School, Problem Child – Getting' Into Mischief, Craig G., 2 Ruff, Da Omen, Young Hak (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy6ZGqS6IQI), Funxsouljaz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEj1eeS_FgQ).
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 2:18 am | Edited by: stealth387

-I've been diggin' the white Fresh Prince.
I'm glad you posted that before I had a chance to - though I don't care for that particular track. Straight 90s chillout vibes:
This dude's the freshest white emcee I've heard since Edan. I have reservations about whites in hip hop considering that hip hop is primarily a form of black art. However, from its humble beginnings in New York City, hip hop has since been exported worldwide and it's the world's culture now - free to be re-contextualized by all those who receive it. Despite that, black art is particular to the black community and hip hop is specific to the black American community. When whites attempt to express themselves in the context of this black art it usually emerges as a heartless imitation. Edan has managed to transcend this difficulty.

-Just Ice is very underrated
I agree. Though, Cold Gettin' Dumb is the only track off that album that I remember. The cover art is dope too.

-Odd Future was nuts.
OFWGKTA are what hip hop is all about: youth, anger, confidence, and skill with the beats and rhymes. I'm fairly late to the party, I only found out about them about a week ago. From what I can tell they are the anti-thesis to jerkin'. I had to post those links earlier in the week in case peoples here weren't aware of what was happening 'cause I knew that information would never be as fresh as it was at that moment. This is a really exciting time for hip hop. The new Go! Team album dropped a month ago, OFWGKTA is blowing up, Ghost has a recent release, Raekwon's dropping Shaolin v.s. Wu Tang, there's a Tribe documentary coming out, MURS is on tour and doin' a show in my city - and even he is talking about OFWGKTA - dope!

-Seeing OFWGKTA on Jimmy Fallon was bananas. I was wondering how they would adapt their lyrics for television. A few words were not so gracefully altered, despite that, the lyrical content was still fairly subversive: Buy guns and kills those kids. It's really cool to see people like Questlove and Mos Def so excited about OFWGKTA. Questlove even told Jay-Z to watch apparently. Loved that they wrote an arrangement for the sousaphone in there too. Their lyrical approach kind of reminds me of early 90s emcees who were trying to be as controversial/blasphemous and subversive as possible (see: Big L's Devil's Son).

-Tyler the Creator's Twitter is hilarious by the way.

-One thing that many live hip hop performances seem to lack is energy and excitement. Some performers use theatrics in their live shows to supplement for entertainment, but too many artists get up on stage with some dude nobody knows behind them on a laptop playing programmed beats.

-
This is hip hop. I love the grin on Casey Veggies' face when Tyler starts to beatbox. This reminded me of what Ice Cube said in Jackin' For Beats:

Ice Cube, will take a funky beat and reshape it, locate a dope break, and then I break it and give it that gangsta lean

When the emcee's voice interacts with the beat, the rhymes immediately take on a special power of their own. He's consciously altering the delivery of his words to match the beat.

-I thought Ghostface and Raekwon were stale on Fallon Friday night!
I thought it was alright. I'm happy seeing Wu on TV regardless, it didn't blow my mind though. Another somewhat trend in hip hop is having a live band rather than turntables; either of which I'd take over laptops any day.
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 10:07 am

This white dude Yelawolf can go off as well. Straight from Gadsden, Alabama comin with the dirty south shit! Not my steez...but.

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 1:36 pm | Edited by: colin

Remember that time Bushwick Bill made his girlfriend shoot him in the eye? Now that shit is gangster!
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm

and nobody should forget about the pure genius of this man:

here's some posthumous release i just stumbled upon,
Posted: Mar 6, 2011 10:57 pm

-I love this. Reminds me of Rock 'n' Roll High School:

Also of interest:

-I want to dislike this...but I can't front cause the beat is so ill.
If I didn't know who Chris Brown was before listening to this track I wouldn't have any hesitations.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®