Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / the white stripes broke up.
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:23 pm

they did!
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:24 pm

Is Meg "expecting"?
Patti Smith = Grandma
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:26 pm

Posted: Feb 2, 2011 12:41 pm

No Farewell Tour? How can you have a Reunion Tour without a Farewell Tour?
Posted: Feb 2, 2011 1:49 pm

Good sense, "artistic" failure, or grand marketing ploy? I'd like to hope that Egypt and the USA get to celebrate today (sorry UK music press)!!!!
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 7:34 am

The colors red and white are very happy!

In other Sesame Street news, Burt and Ernie are still happily gay, Big Bird still refuses to talk to Snuffleupagus to avoid more accusations of mental illness, Cookie Monster has indeed switched to vegetables.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 9:03 am

wHAT A saad SAD DAY. lET US MOURN.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 9:45 am

I think their first three records are great.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:13 am

Jack White bought the chinese millionaires LP from me in Detroit when they opened for us.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:39 am

hope you invested early one of those $500 white stripes custom turntables(tm) because those are gonna gold now, i tell ya, gold!!
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:48 am

I think their first three records are great.

Word!
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:50 am

Their first singles were even better!
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 12:18 pm

I remember seeing them open for the Stooges at Coachella and thinking "gawd, how can they even stand on the same stage as Ron & Scott Asheton?"
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 12:27 pm

They were a gateway band for kids, and for that I'm grateful, but they brought nothing new to the table, and I can't imagine ever dropping the needle on one of their records - in fact, I got rid of what little I owned, years ago.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 12:28 pm

"billy childish"
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 12:50 pm

but they brought nothing new to the table

Nobody does that anymore
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 1:14 pm

Dead Weathers kind of fun.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 1:14 pm

tell that to human eye.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 1:28 pm | Edited by: The Driver

Joe - I assume your Human Eye comment didn't apply to the "Dead Weathers kind of fun." line. Timmy Vulgar was my first thought in reaction to "Nobody does that anymore". I'll take Tim and his gang of like-minded enthusiasts over Jack White's cynicism any day.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 3:14 pm

i think he meant it in response to the nobody bringing anything new to the table anymore comment...
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 3:22 pm

yes.

the only song i know by the white stripes besides the single that came with multi-ball, starts off with these lyrics about "look at all this cool stuff..."

when i heard it, it was being cranked through a macintosh tube amp through these giant 60s skating rink speakers in the world's most amazing loft, upstairs fomr the owners 17,000 square foot store which sells only the most incredible top shelf atomic age/ modern stuff. it made perfect sense, and totally ruled.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 3:35 pm

i loved them instantly. zep meets fuzz with a gorgeous girl on skins.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 3:38 pm

i didn't give a fuck about them instantly, but i liked those two songs.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 3:41 pm

gorgeous girl on skins

...and what about that sex tape? Mama Mia!
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 4:55 pm

...and what about that sex tape?

Seriously, that was the only redeeming thing about that band.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 5:16 pm

i guess i missed that amongst all the celebutoids and rappers' sex tapes damnit!

oh well they broke up- no tears here - dust em off if youre mourning.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 7:47 pm

first three records DO rule. i can even get behind "elephant." haters gonna hate.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 8:32 pm

I like turtles.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:09 pm

they saw all the mean things tigerblinds and cloe said about their customized turntable while reading the gonerboard and decided it was time to pack it in...
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:19 pm

I was living in a total computer and t.v. free vacuum about eight or so years ago when I received a message via carrier pigeon that the Clone Defects were coming, opening for the White Stripes. I showed up at the venue the night of the show, only to find out that it had been sold out for weeks. I had no idea at the time that anybody gave a shit about the W.S. and figured I would have no problem getting in. I like their early stuff okay and still own a few of their really expensive records I bought at the retail price so then I have them.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 10:56 pm

still own a few of their really expensive records I bought at the retail price so then I have them.

that is very funny.

wish i still had that multiball single. me and the wife each had one! i'm sure we spent the ebay money on something worthwhile though.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 11:18 pm

I dug the Zep influenced early stuff and a few singles off of the their first hit album, but they never provoked much excitement or vitriol from me. I did enjoy reading how much people hated them as soon as they became popular.
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 11:20 pm | Edited by: Cole

they saw all the mean things tigerblinds and cloe said about their customized turntable while reading the gonerboard and decided it was time to pack it in...

No way man. It wasn't anything said in that thread. They retired because of the sweet profits they made from that turntable.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 8:07 am

when i heard it, it was being cranked through a macintosh tube amp through these giant 60s skating rink speakers in the world's most amazing loft, upstairs fomr the owners 17,000 square foot store which sells only the most incredible top shelf atomic age/ modern stuff. it made perfect sense, and totally ruled.

Joe I had a similar experience only I was listening to "Kookie's Mad Pad"

So I guess that makes me a hipper hipster...I would have scratched the White Stripes record and put on the Reatards, the one that starts off with a Led Zeppelin riff before everything comes crashing down.

Also my CIA sources tell me that the real reason The White Stripes are breaking up, is because Jack White has been wearing a wig for several years. Not in a cool way like some record label guys either....Upon early investigations this would seem true.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 8:11 am

I don't have a mean bone in my body....maybe you mean smart, sexy, cool.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 10:11 am

Joe I had a similar experience only I was listening to "Kookie's Mad Pad"

i got that 45 and play it in my mad pad. weird i never made the lyrical connection betweeen those two songs.

So I guess that makes me a hipper hipster...I would have scratched the White Stripes record and put on the Reatards, the one that starts off with a Led Zeppelin riff before everything comes crashing down

get out of our way!
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 10:15 am

Also my CIA sources tell me that the real reason The White Stripes are breaking up, is because Jack White has been wearing a wig for several years. Not in a cool way like some record label guys either....Upon early investigations this would seem true.

I am starting to believe more and more of these crazy theories.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 12:26 pm

I like turtles.

You motherfuckers made me chuckle like Burton Cummings.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 12:49 pm

like Burton Cummings.

Canadian conspiracy theory? Those people are such damn fiendish plotters.
Did you know Detroit is one of the few places in the USA that is NORTH of Canada? No wonder Jack had to move.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 12:49 pm

Joe is there a lyrical connection between those songs? I'm not realy familiar with the "look at all this cool stuff" song.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 1:38 pm

uh, you just made the connection.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 1:39 pm

for such a smart guy...
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 3:14 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I've never heard anything by The White Stripes after DejStill

Bands irritate me I ignore them...that's how it works.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 3:16 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I heard thier popular legos video, and every once in awhile I'd hear something on NPR.

Also, my sister was watching some boring movie about pioneers and Jack White was in it...I had stopped paying attention before he even showed up.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 3:21 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I heard their song in Napolean Dynamite.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 3:29 pm

People mention The White Stripes and I say 'they're no Queens of the Stone Age.'
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 3:50 pm

That Handsprings seven inch was awesome. Both songs were super memorable. I was still in highschool and listening to mostly 80's punk and power pop and suddenly there was that rec and Horndog Fest in my lap. So in that sense, I thank all them Deetroyt revisionists.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 4:51 pm | Edited by: dustymedical

Bands irritate me I ignore them...that's how it works.

you have 8 posts in a thread about the White Stripes.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 5:01 pm

Also, my sister was watching some boring movie about pioneers and Jack White was in it...I had stopped paying attention before he even showed up.

Cold Mountain is a kickass movie.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 5:01 pm | Edited by: nickg

HAHA
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 6:32 pm

i thought they were already broken up!
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm glad he's dead
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 3:28 pm

I laughed when Billy Childish said their apparel resembles a Polish flag.
Posted: Feb 5, 2011 6:32 pm

Doesn't Billy Childish have anything else to be cranky about?
Get over it.
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 12:41 pm

They were a gateway band for kids, and for that I'm grateful

Were for me. I bought their first few albums in 2003, and then based on "recommendations" from Amazon I bought a Reigning Sound album, and then awhile later DCR gave me a Clone Defects cd. It was totally a stepping stone, and I don't think they were all that bad.
Posted: Feb 6, 2011 1:31 pm

Posted: Feb 6, 2011 3:03 pm

HOME BLITZ?
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 9:08 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

I don't call posting a bunch of messages on Goner griping about The White Stripes being an active participant in anything other than posting messages on Goner.

The White Stripes were to Rocknroll what the guys in Jackass were to Performance Art.....I'm sure when we're all 80 you guys will still be making a "valid point" in favor of them......

I'll be drinking a screwdriver skinny dipping in the pond...
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 9:11 am

You guys can listen to The White Stripes and watch Johnny Knoxville get a proctology exam all day long....if that's how you want to spend your lives.

Cold Mountain was a snoozefest...my sister couldn't even get through it....she turned it off with 20 minutes to go and watched Dexter.
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 10:43 am

i liked Cold Mountain, but i LUV dexter!! binge/obsession.
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 12:26 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Speaking of CIA:

Someone on here said Jack White played Elvis in Walk Hard....I wish I had been the one to suggest that....

:)
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 12:36 pm

i think the worst thing about W.Stripes is how they encouraged all kinds of talentless duos to come out of the woodwork and force us to witness their sheer incompetence at rock 'n roll...
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 12:57 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Kicking Giant,
Flat Duo Jets,
God Head Silo
Bassholes
The Revelators

Those were all great bands before The White Stripes ruined it....there are many more.

Then there were bands like The Spinanes and Special K...not so good but two pieces none the less.
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 1:00 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Sadly most folks got their two-piece cherries busted by The White Stripes, it's their loss realy....forget about Half Japense, the greatest...
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 1:07 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Not to get off subject, but Kicking Giant's cassette only releases were even better than the one cd they had....that's the only good part about MP3's, is that it's saving alot of the cassette only releases....I know it's gotten a hell of alot easier to hear the Pain Teens, unfortunately no idea if Kicking Giants output is easily available.....maybe I should post them...if I even knew how to download an MP3 I might try.
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 1:11 pm

In short, Jack White was a piece of shit...good riddance...

Viva la two-piece:

Posted: Feb 7, 2011 1:18 pm

Fuck Bantam Rooster man.....shit can't leave them off the list.
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 2:15 pm

Might be worth mentioning that Nirvana, Dead Moon, and Kicking Giant were all on the same bill a few times....

I interviewed Tae when I was 13. Very nice guy, he turned me on to The Staple Singers, Mongo Santamaria, and Dub Reggae....he also made me think it was realy cool to smoke pot....

Someone wanted to publish the interview 5 or 6 years ago, so I sent them one of two copies I had on a dot matrix printer....I did my homework on a hand me down Apple IIC back then...those were the days.
Posted: Feb 7, 2011 4:31 pm

i think the worst thing about W.Stripes is how they encouraged all kinds of talentless duos to come out of the woodwork and force us to witness their sheer incompetence at rock 'n roll...

I thought that the Goner ethos embraced sheer incompetence at rock'n'roll. It's a concept that's timeless.
Posted: Feb 8, 2011 9:34 am

Oh sorry, there was no band named Special K...I was thinking of Local H...remember they had a big hit?

I don't realy mind The Spinanes either...They were better than The White Tights....
Posted: Feb 8, 2011 10:19 am

this is funny:

Posted: Feb 8, 2011 11:51 am

Can't shed a tear, they were finished long time ago.
Posted: Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am

"the big three killed my baby". nuh uh..theres one at the gilmore car museum, hickory corners michigan.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 1:28 pm | Edited by: The Driver

"Jack White has vowed to never form a new band after the split of The White Stripes."
http://www.clashmusic.com/news/jack-white-refuses-to-form-a-new-band
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm

He's inferring that he'll go solo. I think we're going to be seeing lots of red jumpsuits in Vegas shortly.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

okay, he's working with danger mouse on an ennio morricone project? i'm actually pretty excited by that! a fan of all three.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm

The Revelators

One o' the best 2 piecers I ever seen live.

1st time heard WS the vocals sounded too Led Zeppy ie. white boy wannabe down South negro. Eh...no thanks.

Heard when they played Shim Sham Club in '01 that JW threatened from stage to kick soundman's ass if he got too much squeal outta his geetar. Rock-N-Roll, right?
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Revelators were a trio.
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:49 pm

maybe they were thinking of bantam rooster
Posted: Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

i thought revelators were a duo, as well.

don't care if jack white's a jack-off. still like the first buncha 'stripes albums.

he probably is a total douche. who cares.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 8:26 am

It depends on your definition of a 2-piece...does that mean 2 instruments or 2 people? To me a 2 piece has always meant 2 instruments....and there can either be a 3rd person singing or not.....

I consider The Revelators a 2-piece, eventhough they had 3 people...same basic sound and concept.

I am a potted plant...don't look at me when I'm looking at you.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 8:28 am

1st time heard WS the vocals sounded too Led Zeppy ie. white boy wannabe down South negro. Eh...no thanks.

They were a gateway band for your parents and indie rock dweebs......in the beginning that wasn't necessarily a bad thing....
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 10:30 am

But what if the white boy's got Soul Comin Out His Asshole?

I'd suggest a trip to the walk-in clinic.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 10:39 am

Nanne Tepper, you're just pissed you're not in the USA!
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 11:53 am

Can Mary fry some fish, mama
I'm as hungry as can be
Oh lord, how I wish, mama
You could stop the baby cryin'
'Cause my head is killing me
I saw my ex again last night mama
She was at the dance at Miller's store
She was with that Jackie White mama
I killed them both
And they're buried under Jacob's sycamore
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Oh shut up ya pussy euroboy...you're just pissed a real man like Leon Payne killed your beloved pasty faced hero and burried him under a sycamore tree....go suck on a crape and read NME.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Another thing Nanne Tepper...you probbably never even fucking heard of The Revelators...you were most likely listening to Chumbawamba back then :)
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 2:28 pm

This is from Websters you queer piece of eurotrash:

3. An object that is one member of a group or class: a piece of furniture.

It's an object not a "person"...I heard schools aint so good in Euro land....must be true.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Since you're a dumb foreigner, I feel I should explain that this is an example of American sarcasm....
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 4:36 pm

How fascinating, the famous US vs Euro debate. Haven't seen that before.
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Dutch Oven
Double Dutch
You're in Dutch!

vs.

Yank
Cracker
Redneck
Posted: Feb 24, 2011 10:57 pm

"Yankee

1683, a name applied disparagingly by Dutch settlers in New Amsterdam (New York) to English colonists in neighboring Connecticut. It may be from Du. Janke, lit. "Little John," dim. of common personal name Jan; or it may be from Jan Kes familiar form of "John Cornelius," or perhaps an alteration of Jan Kees, dialectal variant of Jan Kaas, lit. "John Cheese," the generic nickname the Flemings used for Dutchmen. It originally seems to have been applied insultingly to the Dutch, especially freebooters, before they turned around and slapped it on the English."
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 12:10 am

zing?
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 7:41 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Look I'm not a redneck, I am American, and I have a 9 inch penis. 50% of my family is from Bavaria...They stay with us, and we stay with them still often for a year at a time. Not to mention Europeans comprise about 40% of my coworkers and daily interactions.....so get your kilts out of a bunch.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 7:46 am

Not Bavaria, tuetoberg forest....
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 8:56 am

Yes lets build a treehouse in your dick....actually I will make it to Hamburg sometime in the next 10 years.

Tuetonberg Forest....My european family connections are all german, but I'm actually also 50% irish, my last name is two gaelic words that connotate being poor.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 9:29 am

gaelic
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 10:38 am

It's actually more of a Lemmy Kilimeister slicked back style haircut.
Posted: Feb 25, 2011 12:22 pm

O, there are no standing basses in Holland. Forbidden by Law.

Saw one last wednesday in a squat in Amsterdam, an electric one even. It was horrible.

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 10:01 pm

haters gonna hate. i'm fine w/ the white stripes.
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 10:49 pm

Lemmy Kilimeister

Now there's a musician with integrity.
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 8:03 am

Razor, The White Stripes are so fucking boring that even this thread has shifted focus to my haircut. Jack White wears a wig...so it's inappropriate to even mention The White Stripes at this point.
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 8:12 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

....anyway I sort of parted my hair today, it's pushed slightly towards the left (if you're looking at me.) I trimmed the irritating hairs around my ears this weekend. I also kept my sideburns the same earlobe length as always, but I thinned them out to not be so bushy.
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 8:52 am

i shaved my head and grew out some mutton chops. spirit of '69!
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 9:07 am

Nice!
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 10:29 am

I gotta get my semi-annual hair cut pretty soon. I comb my hair forward to cover up my balding pate, but it's not fooling anybody. Also I got a beard with a shaved chin like old-timey French royalty.
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 1:10 pm

There are three ways a man wears his hair parted, unparted or departed
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®