Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / bass amp suggestions?
Posted: Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Combo & solid state, I suppose, since I'm broke. Sufficient for stage and practice. Thank ya.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 9:38 am

it's not a combo, i think this would be a decent rig acoustic b200 w/cabinet
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 9:54 am

acoustic b200 w/cabinet

Wow! If those new new Acoustics sound as good as the old ones, that's a hell of a deal! Anybody heard one?

Otherwise, you want a Peavy TNT. Solid state combo. Cheap. Sounds great! Get an old American made one. If if has a graphi EQ on it, it's too new.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/American-USA-made-Peavey-TNT-130-bass-amp-15- speaker-/110524883964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bbcbe3fc#ht_248 9wt_936][/url]
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 9:55 am

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks, Arman. I'm a little iffy with that since they've only been making them again for a few years, but we do have a Guitar Center here now so maybe I can schlep out to the suburbs and try it. I always hate doing that shit...I feel like such a douche and like I'm being judged. Maybe they will have quiet rooms.

And thanks, Scott. I actually had a 70s Peavey half stack I used. Got stoled. :(
Which really sucks but it sucked bad enough carrying from a basement or first floor to my car, I can't even comprehend it going up three flights of stairs where I live now.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 11:01 am | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

Shit, I just found this for $160 on CL.

[url=http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo-10 4813779-i1399998.gc]Acoustic B100 100W 1x15 Bass Combo [/url]

Acoustic B100 100W 1x15 Bass Combo

Lower wattage than the ones you guys list above, but might it be okay? I really don't want to spend a whole lot, as neither of the bands I'm in are show-ready just yet, and who knows if/when they will be, but I would like something more than what I have now just in case.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 11:09 am

Posted: Jan 27, 2011 1:32 pm

If if has a graphi EQ on it, it's too new.

They still sound pretty good if yer playing punk or something mean/dirty. Plus you can EQ !
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 1:53 pm

One band is me, drums, guitar, violin; the other is the same except synth instead of violin. Would 100W be too quiet under those? I don't wanna have to go all the way up.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 1:59 pm

they've only been making them again for a few years

sure, but you really can't go wrong with that amount of wattage at that price. as far as i'm concerned you can never have "too much" juice when it comes to bass wattage.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Those new Acoustic amps sound good. Agree with Arman about the wattage.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 2:26 pm

With that many instruments why don't you just get a PA? I got a 360 watt PA system for 300 bucks from musiciansfriend.com....

I got some pre-amps for the guitar and bass...and I replaced the speakers when I blew them out in my drum and bass band....
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm

100 watts should be fine....I don't understand why anyone needs more than 30 tube watts for guitar, and 100 solid state watts for bass.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I got a 360 watt PA system for 300 bucks from musiciansfriend.com....

which one?
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Otherwise, you want a Peavy TNT. Solid state combo. Cheap. Sounds great!

I second that...Rick Camp plays a old ass Peavey in my British Invasion band...I dolled it up with Vox grillcloth and knobs...sounds amazing.
The Campminster model...it'll be working long after our Chinese AC-15's are dead and gone
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

which one?

Phonic....it was on sale. At the time I was in a band with two non-musicians that could barely play...so tone wasn't a big factor...still it sounds fine and had onboard effects that were alright...and it made it super easy to record.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks ya'll. One friend said his was 300, another uses 100 and his always sounds just fine at shows, so...I got this guy down to $130...after I asked if he'd go $140 on $160. I tell you what, those country people are sure good to buy stuff from. I got my car for $1,000 less than asking price just b/c I mentioned I needed a new one for commuting b/c my dad was sick...didn't even ask as it was already a really great price, she just did it...
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 5:13 pm

If those new new Acoustics sound as good as the old ones

No they don't. Old ones were made in Calif, new ones china.

Bass amp- depends on sound you are going for?
the classic SVT or VB4 never lets you down. run thru 4x10

i run a Sunn beta bass thru old acoustic 2x15 cab.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 5:42 pm

classic SVT

my first bass rig was a yamaha b100 through a dynamit 1x15. it was fine, but i graduated to an SVT in '91 and still use it to this day.

Sunn beta bass thru old acoustic 2x15 cab.

very awesome.
Posted: Jan 27, 2011 11:20 pm

4x10 or 2x15 is gonna be way overkill for me at this point. I just need something I can practice w/ a band, play at my house by myself, and play shows with, without much commitment and hassle. I harbor no illusions about a newer Acoustic's quality.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 8:48 am

I always thought I wanted an SVT before I ever played through one, and I've been disappointed every time I have. WAY over-rated. They sound great if you've got an old one and are playing stadium. Otherwise they kinda suck.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 10:47 am

yes, you DO still want one scott, just not the newer ones (esp. when crate were making them - total garbage). mine is from the mid-70s and it sounds great.

4x10 or 2x15 is gonna be way overkill
maybe, but not really. size wise the 2x15 might be a bit much, but a decent (like an ampeg, but NOT hartke) 4x10 is small and manageable and sound wise the 4x10 has an even and focused low end than a 1x15. both are fine for any practice or small club PA, but the 4x10 has more definition and utilizes the amps power more efficiently.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 10:57 am

4 x 10 is the way to go. My bass player Ron has done about 600 gigs with his Peavey 4 10. He's had a half dozen heads (Traynor, Hartke, Acoustic and now an Ampeg B3) but the cab lives on. The idea is to never have to turn your bass amp up past half way, there should be enough headroom that you don't have to push it into full on distortion (unless you want to...). More bass than a 15". There is nothing as magnificent as a 70's SVT or V4B going through a 8 10".
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 11:20 am

He's had a half dozen heads

he was running through that traynor when i played with him. combined with his ham-like hand playing ON the fret board it sounded awesome.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd been happy with this Ampeg Rocket

[url=http://www.ampeg.com/products/diamondbluebass/b100r/index.html][/ url]

until I started playing with 2 guys trying to out AC/DC each other and a drummer with a 30" bass drum (no PA to speak of). It was fine otherwise. Affordable, easy to cart around, sounded like a bass.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm | Edited by: Razor A Go Go

That ampeg looks sexy, but way out of my price range at this point.

As for as the 4x10 that is something I will consider in the future, maybe, but let me break this down for ya'll:

* I live on the second and third floors of a house. All of my music stuff is housed on the 3rd floor. I no longer have 3 dudes that I'm living with to help me haul my music shit up and down stairs. I have not lifted weights for ~ 2+ years and have very little core and upper body strength.

* Band 1 practices in the basement of the singer/guitarist's house. The stairway is pretty narrow and cramped, she has two huge dogs always in the way when I'm loading stuff in, and she's in the process of finishing her already tiny basement, leaving us with an even smaller practice space. Additionally, she suffered a traumatic brain injury around Thanksgiving, and we've only practiced twice since then. We're supposed to play in May or before then but she is having to relearn a lot of things, gets tired, has vertigo, and I could tell the last time she played, she was forgetting lots and not playing as well, so it may be on the back burner for a while.

* Band 2 is established w/ a year or two worth of shows under their belts and songs already written and only recently added a guitar and invited me to play bass. It was previously just synths and drums. Main dude is leaving for a month due to work, so we're looking at March practicing at the earliest, though I'm trying to learn the songs via their reverb nation and hope to get together w/ the other guys in the interim so I can be caught up in practice. They are actually good musicians, while I am not.

So considering the lugging huge shit around up two huge flights of stairs, one band possibly not playing again for quite a stretch, and the other band theoretically kicking me out cuz I suck too bad, I really don't want to spend a whole lot or commit to much. Just something I can have for a while until I see where things are going, and upgrade if I get the itch to do so. Plus I do have a song I have to record as a reward for this super secret project I'm working on...you can friend or msg. me on the facespace if yr curious.

Thanks everyone for all their help!!!
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Combo amp is the way to go (peavey). A 1x15 and a 4x10 cabinet are comparable in size, but both are too much for a third floor walk up with a separate head. I'm the genius that got a Marshall half stack while living on the third floor. Don't do it!
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Oh, and I've played old SVTs. I don't play stadiums, and therefore can't turn up them up loud enough to get the sound I want out of them. Too clean! I like playing bass through guitar heads. I've played through a Musicman HD 130 for about 15 years. Sounds perfect!
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Yeah - that is why I was leaning toward combo...I figured a 4x10 would be quite a bit bigger though. I said something to this guy about maybe trying a 2x12 guitar combo and he was all "hell naw." He is a pro, though, and we're into different stuff so I don't know whether to take heed or not. I did record some stuff on bass through this old guild combo amp though...it was cool but i wouldn't want to do it too much for fear of blowing shit up.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Would I kill this?
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes, in about two seconds. Find a 1 15" combo or a 2 10" cab. Look for a used Yorkville bass combo. Yorkville(used to be Traynor) is the Peavey ov Canada. I like Peavey bass stuff. A TNT would probably work for you. Or if you really want the most portable decent bass amp, try this:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB150S 112-MicroBass-Combo-Amp?sku=482567

Try to find a used one.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Cool thanks ya'll...gonna check out that Acoustic first and go from there...if dude sold it to someone else I'm SOL anyway..
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Oh, and I've played old SVTs.

i don't play stadiums either (OBVIOUSLY) but my bass lends itself to a very mean tone, and i bridge the normal and bright channels and neither volume is over 1/2. the end result is a tight but voluminous low end chainsaw that's plenty loud without stamping out the other amps near by. i do love HD130s and all other musicman amps for that matter.
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 5:01 pm

Find a 1 15" combo or a 2 10" cab.

2x10s are GREAT for coffee house shows....
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm kind of digging that eBay krueger one...it looks totally metal.

How you feel about the chorus not working though...could be a good fallback if country dude don't pan out...
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 6:57 pm

How you feel about the chorus not working though

only if you want to be in THE CURE.
Posted: Jan 29, 2011 5:19 pm

Ha ha.

So checked out the Acoustic B100 today at the just-opened Guitar Center. That place had more douchebags per square foot than anywhere I have ever been in my life. I liked the amp - emailed the dude about the one he had for sale and told him I'd get it if he hadn't sold it already. Will go to a local music shop that carries them and try it out again as I could not really hear myself that well over a 13 year old kid playing slap bass, I am sure he will go on to be in a very popular local cover band one day.

One thing though...I'm maybe kinda sorta rethinking the combo thing, or at least being hell bent on it. The Acoustic was pretty sizable compared to what I was expecting, and heavy, and still a pain for me to carry up to the 3rd floor...so maybe a small cab + amp would be better on that front???
Posted: Jan 30, 2011 11:39 am

That'll mean more trips up and down the stairs. One heavy trip or two light ones. Either way you're gonna get a workout. Maybe you'll develops the upper body strength you feel you're lacking at the moment.
Posted: Jan 30, 2011 11:48 am

Two lighter ones = more cardio. Dude's holding the Acoustic 100 for me. $130 I can dig...These bands better not fucking flake.
Posted: Jan 30, 2011 2:03 pm

Acoustic 100 for me. $130 I can dig...

can't lose at that price. do it.
Posted: Jan 30, 2011 2:11 pm

Razor, for what it's worth, I've played bass through a musicman hd130 and a fender 1x15 for about a decade, it's plenty loud enough for bars (with a super loud guitarist) and sounds great. I've played through combos, and this is much easier for me to transport (I'm 5'2", no upper body strength).

Look for a used Yorkville bass combo.

I also have one of these, and have to admit it rules pretty hard for the $100 it cost on craigslist. It's ugly as hell, though.
Posted: Jan 30, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm playing bass in a band now also....do they realy have an Acoustic100 for 130? If you don't get it, can I get it for that? Do you think they have more or is the sale still on?
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 9:43 am

@ Lula - good to know, thank you.

@ Tiger - I'm definitely getting it, so no.

You probably have more disposable income than me. These are pretty sexy, I can't justify the $ or halfstack, though:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2187709034.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2187703256.html
Posted: Jan 31, 2011 12:20 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Nah, I don't have that much disposable income right now....I'm furnishing a new place, painting the walls, have to buy a new bed, replace the washer and dryer...

I'll just play through my PA unless I can convince these guys we should go Cramps style....
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 4:57 pm

Otherwise, you want a Peavy TNT. Solid state combo. Cheap. Sounds great! Get an old American made one. If if has a graphi EQ on it, it's too new.

Look for a used Yorkville bass combo.

These are the two amps I play through and I love them both. The Peavey looks cooler and has more distortion. Both are light and loud.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 9:55 am

http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/2187709034.html

That amp looks awesome, and it's fairly cheap.
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 10:21 am

Yeah not cheaper than $130 though...had first band practice w/ band #2 last night and played through the one of these the drummer had ready for me and a busted up old loud cabinet...was veray sexay.
Posted: Feb 17, 2011 8:40 am

Dear Everyone,

Thank you for the suggestions. I finally picked the amp up last week and practiced with it for the first time yesterday. It broke my beer bottle and drowned out the guitar. I think we'll get along just fine.

Sincerely,

Me
Posted: Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

I've got an amp, not a bass amp, we don't have a bassist. But this is nice 15w amp that you could plug a bass into. I've written "White Stripes" on it in magic marker...........$500. It's a steal.
Posted: Feb 18, 2011 6:17 am

Get offa my jock.
Posted: Feb 18, 2011 1:48 pm

you could plug a bass into.

Supermodel?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®