Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Gonerfest 8 dates?
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Jun 24, 2011 12:51 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Hey, if anyone's going to fly into Nashville me and my polite, good natured crew can pick you up and trek the rest of the way to Memphis....I think I'm going to leave Thursday morning or Wednesday night...are any bands going to be playing Thursday morning?
Posted: Jun 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Thursday afternoon Opening ceremonies probably 5:30.
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 12:27 pm

SHITTY SKREWDRIVER!!!

Black Mike and his One Man Klan
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Hard-Ons!!!!
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 7:27 pm

So is the Country Heath or whatever the Artisan is called now still the best option for staying near the Hi-Tone?
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 7:39 pm

not open
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 10:23 pm

hmm...any other options in midtown? I guess it doesn't matter that much since we're renting a car, but someplace at least a bit proximal would be cool..
Posted: Jun 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Holiday inn is pretty good - about $100 - breakfast included and has a pool to shake that hangover

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/memphis/memua/hoteldetail

quite a few Goners stayed there last year

I think it one of the closest to the Hi Tone too
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 2:28 pm

Holiday inn

$111.00 per night? Damn...I'm sure it's nice, but we don't need to feel special...and Beauty Shop breakfast is the shit. The French Quarter was half that, had it's nasty charms too.
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 8:53 pm

french quarter gone as well, motel 6, red roof ....are the ones left
Posted: Jun 26, 2011 11:46 pm

I keep sayin' every year... all ya need is a place to sleep & the Motel 6 was cheeeeeeep & pretty close... didn't feel sketchy at all. Plus we had Ronnie too...
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 12:12 am

What of the Rodeway Inn on Linden Ave? Looks decent and has way better reviews than the Motel 6 (which has reports of bedbugs...that's all we need to bring home to my kid!)...seems close enough too.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Most people seemed to stay at Motel 6 last year and it was actually OK, no complaints with my room, but I guess it's a bit pot luck at a Motel 6. Plus it'll be half the price of HI Express or Gen X.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Me and my wife have been fighting about this...well,not really fighting...discussing. She's pretty logical and not prone to anger. I want to rent a room Friday and Saturday night but i only live about an hour away. She doesn't give a shit about whether I come home or not, she just doesn't see the point of me spending 250 bucks so I can get as drunk as I want. Last night she preceded to name all the ways that money could be better spent...fuck....married life.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 5:54 pm | Edited by: Useless Eater

we usually use Expedia or some such shit to get a 4 star place downtown for 4 nights and it's been around $250. Of course when we do this I drive us back 1 night and she the other 3. Havent taken a cab yet but that's always a $20 option. Parking downtown is usually $10/night too.

The Artisan gave me bedbugs in 2010 a month or two before it was closed and the newly remodeled Holiday Inn Xpress carpet gave me chuckleberry finn feet after I walked 5 feet from the shower to the bed.

Red Roof Inn and Motel 6 were both nice the 2x we stayed there.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm not a violent man....but you know who's ass I'd like to kick? Dave Ramsey. I'd like to punch him in his fucking throat.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 6:50 pm

he walks with the Prince Of Peace.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 7:25 pm

spending 250 bucks so I can get as drunk as I want

Sometimes getting too drunk is an accident...sometimes.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm | Edited by: jerryd

Dave Ramsey. I'd like to punch him in his fucking throat.

Hey! don't talk about Dave Ramsey. He's literally saved me tens of dollars over the years!
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Me and my wife have been fighting about this...well,not really fighting...discussing. She's pretty logical and not prone to anger. I want to rent a room Friday and Saturday night but i only live about an hour away. She doesn't give a shit about whether I come home or not, she just doesn't see the point of me spending 250 bucks so I can get as drunk as I want. Last night she preceded to name all the ways that money could be better spent...fuck....married life.

You need to explain that this is your once-a-year opportunity to blow off steam by rocking out and getting (safely) shitfaced. Tell your wife that your life has changed and you have become a much more happy person since discovering all this garage rock. Your wife should WANT you to go to Gonerfest and spend a total of $400 on hotels, beer, BBQ, and a Golden Ticket. You will not have as much fun if you are sober. Being sober isn't the point of rock n roll. Getting drunk is essential to the Gonerfest experience. Also essential to Gonerfest is meeting other scumbags at the hotel. My wife and I have made a bunch of friends in the Artisan and the Red Roof. Good fucking friends like Gary from the UK and Canada Rob.

Tell your wife you love her and that you don't want to resent her for getting in the way of this. We all need a release and this is your release. I don't know your financial situation, but $400 is not a lot of money when it comes to an event that you will spend months looking forward, three days of great times, and months of trying to remember what happened. Worst case scenario, barter with the woman and tell her you'll do the laundry for a month or something like that.

To recap, here are your three points to get across:

1. A man's gotta blow off steam. This is your once-a-year opportunity.
2. A man's gotta bond with other dirtbags at Gonerfest and beer and hotels are essential to that sense of community.
3. Don't make me resent you, woman! We're a team here and I need this and I'll make it up to you.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Fucking A! I'm hyped now! This is the kind of cool shit I want from my lawyer. I'm paying your fees in alcohol at Gonerfest!

Financial situation is fine, were not rich but we haven't been late on a bill since we were in our early twenties.
She started listening to Ramsey and then read his book. She wanted to cut up all credit cards and do a budget, cool with me. Now we have to pay off our cars in the next year and a half and then get started on the mortgage and college(one kid is a senior, this year,so a little fucking late). That Ramsey is a cunt.

Your points are all awesome.

A man's gotta blow off steam. This is your once-a-year opportunity.

This is going to be tough, because I usually take hunting trips with high school redneck buddies, but I'll think I'll offer to shelf this for a while. I'm kinda not feeling it as much anymore.

A man's gotta bond with other dirtbags at Gonerfest and beer and hotels are essential to that sense of community.

This might work......though I don't really think she gets any of this part of my life. She doesn't mind it or care, just is on a different wave length when it comes to music.

Don't make me resent you, woman! We're a team here and I need this and I'll make it up to you

Now this is the ticket! That whole team thing is brilliant! She's a sucker for that stuff. She also would really worry about me resenting her.....Ill save that for the knock-out.

Thanks man! If all else fails would you call her as "my lawyer" and offer to open up negotiations?
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 9:37 pm

I re-read your post, you really should just call her for me. I'd probably get all the Gonerfest money I wanted AND get blown before I go to bed.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 9:39 pm

You're welcome, Cole. Happy to help.

Just be careful about the "don't make me resent you, woman!" argument. It might backfire. I like your idea of using it as the knock out, but only if you need it.

This is gonna sound really lame after my pep-talk, but you're gonna have to buy me beers at next year's Gonerfest. My wife is due with our first child in late August. I can't spend the weekend at Gonerfest and leave her alone with a one month old baby. If I went, she resent ME, cause she missed last year's Gonerfest. She didn't go cause we we had "pulled the goalie" so to speak and thought she might be pregnant.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 9:40 pm

I re-read your post, you really should just call her for me. I'd probably get all the Gonerfest money I wanted AND get blown before I go to bed.

I'm not a miracle worker!
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 10:11 pm

but you're gonna have to buy me beers at next year's Gonerfest. My wife is due with our first child in late August.

Congrats man and I will! That's not lame that's being a responsible human being.

You guys who's chicks are into this are really lucky. My wife is great, that's the whole reason I can't just be like "Fuck you, I'm doin what I want!", but she has shitty taste in music. Last concert we attended together- Lucas Nelson(Willie's kid). We both hate our son's band though, we agree on that.
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 10:50 pm

you're supposed to
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Posted: Jun 28, 2011 1:26 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

because I usually take hunting trips

If you go on one of these, I'd totally go.
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 7:30 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

The rocknroll way is to drive yourself into debt...

Cole, you can split a hotel with my people, it'll be anywhere from 2 to 4 maybe 5. But because of all the crazies on this messageboard I'm sleeping with a gun under my pillow.

I know ha ha, I'm the one that seems crazy, but whatever dude...I just taunt the crazies and the assholes.

But you have to avoid topics like Dave Ramsey, Lucas Nelson is fine, but no budget myths. How do people who are always worried about their budget remember to avoid Hepatitus C? Which is more fucking important?
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 7:32 am

It's even more rocknroll to drive your wife and kids into debt.
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:11 pm | Edited by: Cole

If you go on one of these, I'd totally go.

If you want to seriously go hunting, email me in November when the season starts. I have plenty of land around here to hunt on. I'm kind of over it, I haven't pulled the trigger on an animal in three years. One of my kids always gets at least one deer a year so we can have some in the freezer.

Still, it is always a blast to take a friend hunting. Hell, bring a kid, I'll take you to a stand and my son can go with your kid to a stand and with a little luck you can go back to Memphis with some steroid free, no rib meat included, veil. We have all the stuff you'll need here.
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:25 pm

I went hunting once and had a pretty good time. Good enough that i went and took the eight hour class to get the license so i could do it legally.
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:30 pm

what about golfing?
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:37 pm

It is fun. But when you grow up hunting it gets a little weird. You either become that dude flying to Alaska for moose or Vancouver to kill a Grizzly or you Become like me, you still hunt sometimes but only pull the trigger if it's a monster buck or whatever. In my family it really is a food issue. We like to eat deer, so usually a couple of my boys will kill one for us to eat.

Maybe I should take a bunch of Goners into the woods for one big hunting day. Fun or Disaster?
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:39 pm

what about golfing?

I play Golf with my kids. My 12 year old is really good. You met him on record store day. I suck badly. Sometimes I'll take him and just sit in the cart drinking beer and giving caddy advice. I've had my wife come pick us up more than once.
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:41 pm

yeah, me and jerry are planning a golf outing next weekend i think, he just got some new clubs(repo)
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:42 pm

what about golfing?

I haven't finished my eight hour course yet, but am totally ready to go to the hitting range. Be prepared for a lot of slices.

Maybe I should take a bunch of Goners into the woods for one big hunting day

Cole, that's a great idea! this could be the opening-opening ceremonies for this years gonerfest!
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Be prepared for a lot of slices.
Of pizza?!
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Cole, that's a great idea! this could be the opening-opening ceremonies for this years gonerfest!

i'd do it! That wouldn't work as an opening ceremonies thing though. Not in season. My land borders state hunting land, so I have to be careful.
Posted: Jun 28, 2011 6:48 pm

Joe T would look awesome hunting or golfing in a Crucifucks t-shirt.
Posted: Jun 29, 2011 2:18 pm | Edited by: Chase

This'll be my first rodeo. Will there be a house kit, or do I need to work that one out, since I'm flying in?
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 10:43 pm

UPDATE!!!! I'm staying the night....please get drunk with me.
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 5:54 pm

If I was the wife there'd be no way I'd want you driving home after the HiTone shows!
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Maybe I should take a bunch of Goners into the woods for one big hunting day. Fun or Disaster?

I'm down.
Posted: Jul 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I would love to do it man. It's fun taking people hunting, I know where they hang out to, so there would be a really good chance of firing some rounds. Yeah, Seamus I'll bring this up again when hunting season comes around and we'll do it.
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 11:02 pm

motherfucking FUCK YES. Shannon and the Clams!!!
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 6:22 pm

You're welcome!
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 11:04 am

is there anything in the Piggly Wiggly parking lot across the street from Murphys? If Jeffthesnake can sleep in a treehouse near there everybody should be able to camp out in the parking lot.
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 12:28 pm

mark sultan via facebook says les sexareenos jammed recently & are considering a show or two. asks that promoters contact them if they're interested.

would, of course, make a great addition to gonerfest......
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 12:35 pm

would love the Sexareenos... maybe for #9! Yeah!

Piggly Wiggly is now a Cash $aver. There is a graveyard for you to try to sleep in over there. And a Goodwill donation bin. Good luck.
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 1:09 pm

mark sultan via facebook says les sexareenos jammed recently & are considering a show or two. asks that promoters contact them if they're interested.

YEAH! I'd LOVE to see those guys play together again!
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

when jeff woke up he thought he was lost in the woods-ha! needless to say i told him he could literally flip a cig and hit either murphys or the bucc from where we were....i say this year we make a temp hobo camp all up and down monroe!
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 8:45 pm

would love the Sexareenos... maybe for #9! Yeah!

Holy fuck. I would sell my feet to see that.
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 11:29 pm | Edited by: Cole

You're welcome!

And you have a great big thanks coming dude.
I laid down the team concept and how much I needed to blow off steam. She was sympathetic but asked couldn't I just sell some stuff
I have and dont use anymore. I had never thought of that. Hell, I sold a generator and an old bass boat and 1 shotgun that everyone hated......more than enough.
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Gonerfest 8 is gonna rule. If you know me from the board make sure you look out for me, So many people I missed last year, and everyone I did meet was cool as a hell. I love this fucking scene and want to become friends with all you guys. There aren't any people as cool as you guys in New Albany MS so i have three days to make as many friends as I can.
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 12:19 am

We'll try to do the "Hello, my name is dtrain" stickers again.
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 7:46 am | Edited by: AndyB

Hell, I sold a generator and an old bass boat and 1 shotgun that everyone hated......more than enough.

The concept of owning a shotgun that "everyone hated" is completely foreign to me.
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 10:10 pm

[The concept of owning a shotgun that "everyone hated" is completely foreign to me.

.410.......sucks. good for kids
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm

.410.......sucks. good for kids

You hunt those in MS?
Posted: Jul 19, 2011 11:46 pm

I have a .410-.22 combo. It's kind of sweet!

.and i saw seven deer last night on presidents island. pretty sure you can hunt there. for free. and not in season.
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®