Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / CAPTAIN BEEFHEART Goner
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 3:52 pm

rip
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 4:03 pm

A squid is no longer eating dough in a polyethylene bag.

RIP Captain
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 4:22 pm

One of the great bluesman of the the 20th century, RIP.
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 4:43 pm

oh man what a shame. RIP
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm

in honor
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 6:05 pm

captain my captain

RIP

not even dylan was so orig, so creative
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 6:07 pm | Edited by: Seamus

bad assery never dies!
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 7:04 pm

R.I.P.
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 7:52 pm

RIP
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 9:11 pm

R.I.P.
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Posted: Dec 17, 2010 9:57 pm

OMG.
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 10:26 pm

you hardly know a day goes by
in the cardboard cutout sundown.

RIP Don.
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 10:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--JDAF9oQM&feature=player_embedded

Amazing find.

Read "Through the Eyes of Magic" by John Drumbo French if you haven't already.
Posted: Dec 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Rockin' Tarotplane in honour of his passing.

RIP
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 8:20 am

This outtake of Sun Zoom Spark is one of my favorites:

RIP and thanks.
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Not the best album but I love this song...

RIP
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 1:58 pm

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Not the best album but I love this song...

RIP

Ditto. This cut is also pretty good:
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 3:40 pm

this is pretty good too

Posted: Dec 18, 2010 6:25 pm

So much for him coming out of retirement. 69 is still not that old.
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 8:25 pm

So much for him coming out of retirement. 69 is still not that old.

He's been suffering from MS for almost 30 years. In the end he could barely paint, let alone perform.

Gotta wonder how many Beefheart freaks tried to find him and his wife out in the northern California desert.
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 12:37 pm

i heard he lived in a doublewide, and had a shack out back to paint in. not too far from Lancaster, where the prison is.

he had a BEEF in his HEART against the world. not a happy man.

RIP
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm

apes-ma.
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 4:15 pm

Zig Zag Wanderer! Safe as Milk is awesome!
RIP.
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Wish I could put up that concert he played in euhm 78 at My Father's Place (first a boot, later a Rhino release).

I wish you could too!
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 6:36 am

O yeah: someone get Gary Lucas asap ands put him in a bunker underneath Virginia before he starts claiming that he was actually Ry Cooder on Safe as Milk.

No kidding. Seemingly very time he talks or writes about CB he's gotta talk about his solo piece on Doc and how Lester Bangs thought it was two gtr players. I mean, give it a REST already.
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 11:58 am

i heard he lived in a doublewide, and had a shack out back to paint in. not too far from Lancaster, where the prison is.

ooops, my bad, apparently moved about a decade ago to Trinidad, CA north of Eureka! in the Redwoods, maybe the prison thing was getting him down. also, better access to the all-important meds!

I have to run so far to find a clear spot
Sun's all hottin' and a rottin' hot
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 12:18 pm

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 4:13 pm

and 'Drumbo' should be kicked out of the whole story for his Magic Band Cash In Quick Enterprise in 2001(fuck those other members too, up the beanbutt) and his horrible record City of Refuge and all his blah how he was the leader of the band. THE LEADER OF THE BAND!

He said that?

I have his book (almost 400 pgs), and what he talks about, along with other guys who were in the Magic Band, is how they were necessary to transcribe and play his ideas.

Zoot Horn Rollo "led the band" after Drumbo left, as in teaching the band what to play, etc.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 4:20 am

I enjoy being a boy
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 9:54 am

I always liked that story Zappa would tell about Captain Beefheart in highschool yelling at his Mom to bring him a Pepsi.

Beefheart probbably did rely on folks to transcribe is songs and bring his vision to fruition. The Stones opperated in a similar manner, and fucking Zappa was a composer, and that's how alot of quasi-composers operate.

The truth though is that Beefheart was the main editor of his band...that's a better way of looking at a band. Alot of times the leader of a band isn't the most skilled musician, they're just the visionary and driving force behind the band...x-band members will be offended and inspired by them long after the relationship goes south...that's just the nature of the beast.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 9:59 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

Anyway, CB was reinterpretting folk and avante garde styles...so it's natural that laymen musicians are going to bitch and moan about them long after the fact.

I'm partially speaking from my own experience...I've worked with non-musicians (which is more fullfilling but way more of a pain in the ass technicaly wise) and I've worked with "musicians" who typicaly walk around with thier heads up their talcom powdered perfumed buttholes.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 12:48 pm

you guys have alot to say about events and people you don't know and weren't around
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 1:13 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I have to disagree.
Beefheart telling a drummer to play a beat that sounds like a slow riding train and using his magic to get the drummer to get it right is more than just givin a talent a hint. He used metaphores, singin', beatin on tables and whatnot to get 'm to do what he wanted.

That's exactly what I'm saying....one musician to another would say give me a 3/4 beat or something along those lines....a guy like James Brown would say, "play your guitar like a drum"....it's a matter of communicating an idea....you can see why an X-band mate of Beefheart would say he had to transcribe all of his stuff and act all high falutin about it.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 1:15 pm

you guys have alot to say about events and people you don't know and weren't around

Well how many of you saw Robert Johnson play? so fuck off buddy.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Folk and Avante garde musicians have more in common with eachother, than either do with the common musician who learns how to play formaly....if you want to see a musician who was classicaly trained and then took it to the Avante garde and folk levels, check out Thelonius Monk or some of the real far out guys. As much as I like Captain Beefheart, he wasn't the level of Thelonious Monk as few are.

I don't realy give a shit about debating it...I was just expounding on the conflict between Beefheart and his x-drummer that you two were refering too.....
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 1:26 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I saw Robert Johnson play, and that's cuz I'm the devil!...Ooggaboogaooga.

No seriously, rock criticism is 90% speculative...asinine comments like "you weren't there" isn't helpful.

That's like some drunk baby boomer harping on about if you remember the 60's you weren't there....that's just retarded.

It's called art theory...some of us have degrees in it.

Also I'll see my drunk baby boomer relatives this week...who yeah were there and new Beefheart also along with most musicians in the Sanfran scene in the 60's....so keep droning on...I'm used to it.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 1:31 pm

I never mentioned that my family is full of hippi/punk californian roadies? Oh well that's cuz you don't fucking know me...now aint it?
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Beefheart was a gook. Zappa was a hebe.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 9:47 pm

let's toss the 675,000 history books into the fire!

take yr own advice and stop yr 500 comments re me a year--you will never know me! hypocrite.

and a lot is two words. and i don't have to be there when you are typing it to know there is a distinction between written and verbal speech
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 10:04 pm

take yr own advice and stop yr 500 comments re me a year--you will never know me! hypocrite.

and a lot is two words. and i don't have to be there when you are typing it to know there is a distinction between written and verbal speech

baker you are dumber than dumb can be
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 10:22 pm

so keep droning on
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm

we're all lunatics...just not all lunatics that mumble on and on about I don't know what

people keep your conspiracy theories to aliens and explosions and governments and gods

thank you

I do like that my statement you guys have alot to say about events and people you don't know and weren't around was somehow taken as an affront to the sensibilities of jackasses
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 8:59 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

Wow...nice words of advice Mr. Big Star, who never held a conversation with Chilton.

You girls just have your panties in a dripping wet bunch because I speak my mind and I like what I say. Get over it.

I have a day job, I support myself, and I don't kiss any ones ass.

But you all can suck my dick....if you're going to be a bunch of middle aged cry baby whores whenever someone states plain honest folk logic.

And I'll post whatever I want, whenever I want, as many times as I please if I see fit...thanks.
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Not bad Mark Beef, Feliz Navidad buddy. We all care allot.
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 9:13 pm | Edited by: tigerblinds

I mean on one hand it's art theory in that Captain Beefheart and his band mates had a dispute over methodology.

But then on the folk level, is it really so hard that a guy who could transcribe every instruments parts....resented a music collector nut being the front man? To me it seems pretty obvious.

Also I don't have a degree in Art Theory, I've just applied to the M.A. program.

But what I want to drive home is that simple folk ideas and hoity toity art theory avant garde ideas have allot more in common with each other than they do with shitty mainstream, complacent pop music.....and I think that was largely what Captain Beefheart had to say about music. It seems like where he's coming from anyways.

Feliz Navidad to you too Baker...but if the fact that I hold a justifiable grudge against Jack White and his business is going to invalidate any observation I have to make about observable music.....then shit, it's going to turn into the Alienator days.
Posted: Dec 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Feliz Navidad Tiny Tim, Feliz Navidad Captain Beefheart, Feliz Navidad Robert Pete Williams, Feliz Navidad Goner, Feliz Navidad Charles Dickens, Feliz Navidad everyone.
Posted: Dec 25, 2010 10:44 am

a dispute over methodology

I don't know much about Beefheart (bssides what I've been told by friends), but I'm a lot more interested in reading up on him after reading the wikipedia article (yeah yeah yeah I know fuck wikipedia) referencing the cult-tactics that went into Trout Mask Replica. If that's true, Zoot Horn Rollo can get fucked cause it would take a true MASTERMIND to pull that off.
Posted: Dec 25, 2010 11:35 am

but I'm a lot more interested in reading up on him after reading the wikipedia article

Wow! I just read that. Fucking cool and crazy.
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 11:33 am

I don't know what you're talking about...I'll get around to the wiki article (what's wrong with wiki by the way?)

But Captain Beefheart always made the Doors look like the impotent white guys that they were.
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 11:41 am

Spotlight Kid Demos... steered right by J Floyd
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks for those demos, Eric! Stuff from those sessions was the first Beefheart I heard, while blitzed, being driven around nowheresville Brooklyn in the wee hours. Still probably my favorite.

"You know how that feels, when you're laying flat on your back, they're puttin' flowers up on you down on funeral hill. That's where there ain't no bossman, because you finally paid your bill..."
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Posted: Dec 28, 2010 2:36 pm

the boogalarize demo is demonic
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank-you! This is more like what I was hoping for (and didn't get) with the Grow Fins set.
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 4:29 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Took me a while, but finally got alla dem files down. Killer pair o' CDs there.
Posted: Dec 28, 2010 5:13 pm

Damn I concur...awesome link. Is that safe to download?...better wait untill I'm on a govcomp.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®