Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / catching up on comics
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 1:41 am

i kinda started reading comics again, and found a few from the last decade or older that i really like:
transmetropolitan
planetary
black hole
all the dc crisis series
grant morrisons animal man
some old osamu tezuka manga like:
Apollo's song
ode to kirihito
MW
adrian tomine's zines and graphic novels
stuff by jason
daniel clowes recent stuff
all of the batman books that frank miller was part of
anything frank miller has is doing
anything warren ellis has done or is doing

what else is good going on right now in comics?
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 9:35 am

Preacher is cool.
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 10:45 am

I second Daniel Clowes and Jason.

Love and Rockets is still going strong...it's been interesting watching the characters age. The massive Palomar and Locas books are a pretty great place to start.

Optic Nerve was pretty good.

The Loeb/Sale Batman books were surprisingly good. The Batman book by Frank Miller and Jim Lee SUCKS DONKEY BALLS.

It's old, but the first half of Cerebus was also a lot of fun.

Bone is one of the best things I've read in a LONG time. I think we're going to start giving a volume to my nephew every holiday until he has the entire set.

I still think Concrete is the best comic book series ever. I can't give a higher recommendation.
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 12:31 pm

MONTY rules, just saying
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 2:22 pm

transmetropolitan
planetary
all of the batman books that frank miller was part of
anything warren ellis has done or is doing

Totally^

Haven't read Animal Man but I like Invisables and Doom Patrol a lot. Preacher is great (especially the first two books). The Boys is great. Mark Millar's Red Son Superman is awesome too cause that fucking Russian Batman is a badass
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 2:55 pm

JASON! everything by him is fuckin great!! also Joe Matt is the man.
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 10:50 pm

astro city. you can get the trade paperbacks cheap.

dc comics has released almost all the 1990s starman series in color hardcover. 5 volumes so far.

try out y: the last man & ex machina. there are TPBs & HCs of both.

if you like 1940s-1970s dc & marvel, both companies have been cranking out reprints for years in TPB, HC, black/white, color, etc, etc. that stuff's like my crack.
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 9:21 am

Man, those Tezukas get deep in theme and epic as fuck don't they? Check out his Phoenix series.
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 10:11 am

Richard Lewis is still going strong!
Haven't heard from Paul Reiser I'm years.
Posted: Dec 7, 2010 3:21 pm

kickers inc.
Posted: Dec 10, 2010 8:23 am

Actually heard this was supposed to be great.

I love Kickers Inc.
Posted: Dec 10, 2010 9:29 am

Darwyn Cooke's Richard Stark adaptations got props on the Books to Read thread, but are perhaps worth a second mention here.

What is Daniel Clowes recent stuff?
Posted: Dec 10, 2010 3:57 pm

it would be cool if Clowes could do a Gallagher graphic novel, or maybe Carrottop. or maybe Don Rickles?

Wait! Rodney Dangerfield!!!
Posted: Dec 11, 2010 2:52 pm

im sending the goner store the new "Eat to Survive" comic ive been doin real soon. best one yet!!!!!! got most the same people from the last one, including ben lyon(does all the rad flyers and such, and all the art for the last goner fest). check it out!!

also......saw gilbert gottfried stand up on com central the other night. great,great stuff man. might have to use some of his jokes for my comics
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 12:46 pm

I used to read underground/indy stuff (humor mostly not so much sci fi or superhero) but lost track about 10 years ago. Is there a good website for news and reviews?
Posted: Dec 14, 2010 1:15 pm

I been reading alot of Droopy Dog..I like the wolf and the redhead.
Posted: Dec 16, 2010 3:22 pm

viceland.com has some good thngs reviewed once and a while......just started readin the bone book. its huge! and really good!
Posted: Dec 19, 2010 4:48 am

Everything the artist did is done well but the story isn't evocative, except in a historical sense; I'm glad I read it but I wouldn't do it again.

Scalped- This is the only title I anticipate.

Queen & Country- Comic books should be ahead of HBO by three years, in terms of complexity and character development; approximately seven are and this is one of them.
Posted: Dec 19, 2010 5:41 pm

I bought it for a minister buddy for Christmas, it's really cool.
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 6:03 am

Does the Moore 'Swamp Thing' series get much better as it goes along? The first book wasn't bad, but it seemed like a lot of Goners raved about it on the other comics thread a few months ago.
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 8:52 am

Moore's Swamp Thing gets pretty freaky. Especially starting when his girlfriend gets arrested for fucking a plant.
Posted: Dec 22, 2010 9:28 am

She's currently freaking out, tripping on a vegetable that he grew about his person, can't wait to continue!
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 12:07 am

Does the Moore 'Swamp Thing' series get much better as it goes along?

Man, It's genius. I could understand someone not really getting it, but in my opinion it's the best run by a writer in comics history.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 5:54 am

Well alright then, I'll order the third book from the library and carry on perusing.
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 11:20 am

Adam Sandler really needs to be exterminated.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®