Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / roku/netflix
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 11:32 am

fuck comcast and at&t universe. anyone use the roku box with netflix?
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 11:45 am

i'm no techie but i stream netflix for free through my son's wii and his HDTV
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 11:53 am

no game console. no hdtv.
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 12:51 pm

never used the roku, but i've got my laptop hooked up to my tv and i stream shit all the time. been watching a bunch of old horror stuff lately.
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 1:26 pm | Edited by: benwah

roku...or just buy this
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 2:09 pm

I looked at the Roku last year when I cut my cable package. It has a lot of nice features but felt a little "bare bones" for me. I opted instead to get a Blue-Ray player that had Netflix and local media streaming, since I needed a DVD player too at the time.
If I was to buy today, I think I would skip the Roku and go for the Logitech Revue. It's about $200 more than the Roku, but it has the processing power of a small laptop and runs GoogleTV (Android) so it will be upgradable in the future when people start making apps for it for the content providers (Hulu & the major networks) that are currently blocking GoogleTV. Plus it should be able to play just about any video file you download from the web.
Posted: Oct 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Roku kicks ass.

It doesn't do anything that a PS3 or Wii can't do, but at $60 bucks for THOUSANDS of instant netflix movies (w/Netflix subscription), it's a steal.

We're about to buy a second one for another room.
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 12:50 pm

just hooked up my xmas present Roku the other day...pretty impressive.
Netflix and the occasional Amazon on demand get heavy use. The youtube (private) channel is pretty good. POD TV has a lot of episodes/news available. Just discovered 'snagtv' that has some cool documentaries. Thumbs down to no hulu, and I'm not paying for Hulu plus. There's rumors of NFL sunday ticket coming next year. Currently, MLB and NHL are available, but I'm not paying for that shit.
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 4:06 pm

We love our Roku. Got it on the woot web site, total score.
Posted: Jan 12, 2011 7:16 pm

yep, got one for xmas, for the bedroom tv, ps3 in the main tv room, but roku is great i'm not sure about some of the other pay channels they have lined up for you automatically, but i'm seriously thinking about the cricket channel
Posted: Jan 13, 2011 7:38 am | Edited by: benwah

not sure about some of the other pay channels
yeah-some of those are wack. the kung fu channel would be good if it were $3/year, not a month...

the cricket channel
is that justin.tv?
Posted: Jan 13, 2011 5:57 pm

i can't remember, i thought it was just called crickettv or something,i think it's in sports section
Posted: Jan 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Cricket is 'willowtv' but its a pay channel and there's been issues with buffering and audio....
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 8:51 am

Roku is awesome just for the private "nowhere" channel.
All live Premier League soccer games.
That goal by Rooney was nutz!
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 4:35 pm

damn...you get all the EPL games thru the Roku? Yes...that Rooney goal was pretty unbelievable.
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 4:43 pm

We have had a roku sitting here since Christmas still in the box unopened.

What does it do?
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 8:42 am

How the fuck do you get epl through the roku??
Please, explain!!
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:26 am

there is a whole mess of pre-programmed "channels" that you can subscribe to, similar to net flix
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 12:29 pm

So .... the $60 Roku enables you to spend even more $$$ on channels?

More monthly charges for the TV?

Bah humbug, that shit is staying in the box.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 12:48 pm

I assume everyone in this thread wears sweaters.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 12:49 pm

I assume everyone in this thread wears sweaters.

HEE-HAW
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Cole, get your ass out of Robin's dick.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 1:23 pm | Edited by: Cole

Dude, it was funny. I just picture everyone on their laptops in sweaters posting about Roku.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 1:29 pm

There's no good reason for Tommy.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Still can't find the soccer...or my favorite sweater.

It was a really cool one...just like McQueen's shawl collar cardigan in Bullitt. Man, it made me feel like a man.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 1:38 pm

I have a cool fur lined eskimo jacket. I was wearing it, chopping wood in the snow the other day and thinking about how I felt like a fucking manly pioneer. I started to build a log cabin. I went home and started calling my wife "maw"
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 4:45 pm

So .... the $60 Roku enables you to spend even more $$$ on channels?

More monthly charges for the TV?

Bah humbug, that shit is staying in the box.

Don't be a DF.

I never even knew there was other free content available. You don't have to subscribe to shit.

If you have Netflix, I think there are over 10000 titles available for streaming. A lot of them are in HD. LOTS of good stuff; it's pretty cool.

While I was looking for soccer, I discovered some kind of interesting stuff for free (a lot of old public domain tv and movies), but it's nothing that I feel like I've been missing.

If you've had it since Christmas, you might as well give it a try. Or you could keep typing about it and never get anything out of it.

You sound like someone who bitches about paying the taxes that come with winning the lottery.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't know anything about roku. I did find this about the EPL:

There are many of us who use Roku that have been missing some of our live sports events on devices like the Roku (and others). However, TheNowhereMan over at the Roku Forums recently updated the PodTV channel to include Premier League soccer from FoxSoccer.tv streams FOR FREE!
I am not sure how long this will last, but for now it works great and the quality is about 480p (most of the time).

For more sports on the Roku, PodTV has plenty of other podcasts to go around (and news, cooking, full episodes, etc.) To add the NowhereTV channel, check out channels listing by going to: http://almostaccurate/roku/

For other "live" channels on the Roku, check out the BBC, Al Jezeera, PressTV, RussiaTV, and many more. Check out "Live" genre on our Roku private channels listing.

can anyone report that this works? I have netflix. If i bought a roku does this channel come through?

What about espn3?

I really wannna get rid of this Comcast.
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 8:15 am

Yes this shit works!

Roku may not replace cable, but it reduced my cable bill. I dropped all expanded/hd/whatever cable to the $13 broadcast cable where I get 15 channels of whatever, and 10 more channels of Jesus and QVC.
I also have Road Runner(TWC) regular. You have to have good internet for Roku...depending on your wireless signal, you can either hardwire it or just connect it to your wireless network.

I get ESPN 3 and it's legit too. Every Heels game so far, except ones on Fox. ESPN 3 also has Italian/German soccer, bball, rugby, whatever else...and most importantly, no idiots playing poker. ESPN 3 is only on the computer. So you have to have good internet, which here means I have to keep the cable company. Go to ESPN 3, look up your internet provider, login, watch. Just like Hulu.

Speaking of Hulu. Hulu is NOT available on Roku or any other 'system' as far as I can tell. It's only Hulu Plus, which seems shitty because you have to pay $7.99/month to watch crap that you can see for free on NBC/CBS/ABC/etc...

TheNowhereMan over at the Roku Forums recently updated the PodTV channel to include Premier League soccer from FoxSoccer.tv streams FOR FREE!

Exactly. Nowhere Man rules.
You can also get the channel directly from him here:
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

Also, I noticed by about 10 minutes into each EPL match, the feed clears up. Man U vs Man City was crystal clear (480), however; Liverpool match @ 10am on saturday took a little while to clear up. Yesterday, Everton-Bolton clear as a bell.
Also, there's 7 channels so ALL games are on...not just a featured game..er, fixture.
The EPL 'channel' is only on during live matches.

Fulham- Chelsea today @ 3pm!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 9:44 am

Boooo Chelski!! Big Champions League matchfor the Gunners on Wednesday vs. Barcelona!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

OK-walk me through the process...I spent about thirty minutes looking for soccer (I googled "EPL" and "Roku" and found the link that Eric just posted), but I couldn't figure out how to access the channel on my machine.

Also, am I correct in understanding that you can get ESPN3 on roku?
How do you do that?

Thanks in advance!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:15 am

Benwah,
I think I got it...will have to wait until I'm home from school to check!! You need to sign up online.

Thanks!!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:22 am | Edited by: benwah

Also, am I correct in understanding that you can get ESPN3 on roku?
No. ESPN 3 on computer only.

go here: http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/
Nowhere TV is the 'private' channel the dude created. Log into your Roku account online and add the channel code he gives you in his link.

The channels take a while to 'show up' in your roku channel lineup. To bypass the wait time, go into the channel store and then exit the channel store. Check thru your channels and Nowhere TV should be there. Go into Nowhere TV and look at all the shit dude has in there (conan, news, hgtv,etc). FoxSoccer (Premeire League) is under 'featured' content and also 'sports'. Again, it's only on when there is a live match. So if you click on the Soccer channel now, you will get a blank screen.

More private channels:
http://www.roku-channels.com/
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am

You need to sign up online.

yeah, this is your roku account, sign in and then you can enter the codes....
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 11:55 am

I've been looking at buying a Roku for sometime now, but I have been on the fence because I heard they only support streaming of MP4 files from your local network & most of my files are divx.
Is that still the case, or did someone find away around this?
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 9:41 am

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 10:51 am

You need this too
pretty sure the roku channel of this is gone.also need a fast pc and it's not free-deal killer
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 12:05 pm

$20/yr and it was working this morning
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 1:08 pm | Edited by: benwah

How's the resolution?
ESPN?
$20/year isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Please give more details on
setup and what you get with playon.

thanks.

also, is this thru playon or the Roku private channel for playon?
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 5:04 pm

The resolution is 1080p most of the time, but I believe it is connection speed-dependent. It has ESPN. The normal price is $40/yr, but I downloaded the 2 week free trial, let it expire, and a week later they offered it to me for $20. YMMV. What you get standard is Hulu and most of the other stuff that streams to the web, but there is a lot more available if you check out the forums and don't mind diddling around a bit. I mostly use the Roku private channel that was on the playon forum, but I also got playon to work on my Samsung blu-ray player.
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 6:37 am

but I believe it is connection speed-dependent
yeah, i think you must have to have a 2 ghz pc- I don't and when I tried it out, had major skippage...

but yeah, looks like if you've got the right setup, it's a good deal...ESPN3 too
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 2:21 pm

what is that... people streaming cable streams over the internet? looks very random and very interesting.

i would like to switch between Indian news, some Braziliian soccer matches, some Italian sitcoms, and Japanese commercials.

Someday?
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, I think that's how most of these streams seem to work these days. Somebody sends their cable box output through an encoding program on their computer and out into the wilds of the internet. Pretty amusing when someone's girlfriend comes into the room, picks up the remote and switches to a soap opera or something.

Downloading the Sopcast client is essential though as a lot of the web based ones are plagued with ads.
http://download.cnet.com/SopCast/3000-13632_4-10601520.html
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Big Champions League matchfor the Gunners on Wednesday vs. Barcelona!
Great match! The second leg should be a cracker.
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 3:40 pm

[http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&disci pl ine=football
/i]
i've seen that...better than JustinTV where most is a frozen screen or black dots running around and really loud.

Drama on Roku forums regarding 'playon' as the roku nerds say there's no legit partnership between the two? Who knows if it will last....

[i]Indian news

available on roku, also frenchy news, germans, and al jazeerah (sp)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®