Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Greatest comic book storylines ever....
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Alan Moore's run on DC's Swamp Thing, My favorites are issues 51- 56, where Swampy gives a chick drugs(from his body!), bangs her(kinda), and then goes to Gotham to fuck it up and kick Batman's ass when she's arrested for having sex with a vegetable. Awesomeness
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Alan Moore's run on DC's Swamp Thing

My absolute favorite storyline. Can never tire of it.

Daredevil Visionaries 1+2 by Frank Miller. Especially #2. Another good Daredevil storyline is Born Again by Miller also. This shit is so raw. Kitty Pride is a dope fiend who sells Daredevils identity for a fix. Matt Murdock at his lowest.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Kitty Pride

I meant Karen Page.

Nerd out!
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:37 pm

grendel, especially loved the ones by the pander bros
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Hell yeah on Miller's Daredevil and Grendel! Anyone ever read Lone Wolf and Cub?
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:48 pm

I used to like Lone Wolf and Cub (back when First was doing the reprints). Haven't looked at 'em in years.

My favorite comic ever is Concrete. I also liked Cerebus until Sim went nuts (through the end of High Society).

Love and Rockets is still okay, too.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:52 pm

beetle bailey
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Cerebus

Great comic.

beetle bailey

Geek.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 7:58 pm

SARGE!
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 8:04 pm

The best few pages in comic history..........The Dark Knight Returns- Superman, who is working for the goverment, is going to capture an aged
Batman for acts of terrorism. He's pretty smug and thinks it's going to be pretty easy. Batman shows up in a Kryptonite power suit and beats Superbitch down. It's harsh, violent and kick-ass.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Lone Wolf one of the best. Even the movies are cool. Except for Shogun Assassin. I don't care what Tarantino says-Shogun Assassin sucks.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 11:22 pm

The Killing Joke
The Watchmen

A friend of mine showed me a Marvel comics graphic novel type thingy he has where all the marvel superheroes turn into zombies over the course of the story, including Howard the Duck. That one looked like fun.
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 11:38 pm | Edited by: Cole

The Killing Joke
The Watchmen

Yes! I love both of those. For a long time, The Watchmen was like that great album you turned your friends on to. Even people that didn't like comics had to admit it's greatness. I actually liked the film, but in a way, I wish that it was never made.

The Killing Joke showed why the Joker is the greatest villain ever. I would bet everything that this is the comic that Heath Ledger mostly got his inspiration from.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 12:37 am

Moore's Swamp Thing is tops. First two books of Preacher are great, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, Terra Obscura, books 2 and 3 of Frank Miller's Daredevil, all the Sin City books, first couple if Invisibles blew me away as did the first few of Morrison's Doom Patrol. All the Ennis Hellblazers were killer. Although I like more Hellblazers then than I care to admit.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 12:46 am | Edited by: Cole

First two books of Preacher

Preacher is so badass.

Anyone ever read the Joe R. Lansdale Jonah Hex stuff? I love it.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 12:57 am

Also, Garfield...
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 6:23 am

Watchmen is the champ-I Need to rent the motion-comic, heard it was pretty good.
Death of Gwen Stacy, The Elementals 1-5. the first few The Ultimates and The Authority trades, Sandman, Bruce Jones' run on the Hulk as Horror comic.
I pretty much just look for authors now. Lee and Kirby, Moore, Gaiman, Vaughn, Kirkman, Bendis, Miller, Millar, Ennis, Straczynski, Morrison, Willingham, Ellis.

I need to get the last vol. of Planetary. Love that.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 6:34 am

"Kimota!"
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 6:49 am

It's not a storyline, however, 'Stray Bullets' was great, but David Lapham's 'Young Liars' was wildly disappointing in a number of ways.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 1:25 pm

X-Men 141 + 142
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 1:48 pm | Edited by: Jesse Garon

Little Lotta v. Richie Rich #304

barbed wire grudge match, ends with Richie hiring Slammer to put down Lotta for once and for all.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 2:01 pm

not bad, but Richie Rich vs Ho Chi Minh (Capitalist Capers # 169) is the triple-mylar keeper
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 2:10 pm

how could i forget, Asterix and the Roman Agent?
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 2:13 pm

when Northstar came out of the closet
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 2:39 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Garfield #46- Garfield spills the beans!

Classic Garfield wreaking havoc on Jon and Odie!
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 2:40 pm

does he eat lasagna in that one? he loves the lasagna
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 3:52 pm

was it this one

http://garfieldisdead.ytmnd.com/

that one ruled
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 4:19 pm

"Garfield Minus Garfield is a site dedicated to removing Garfield from the Garfield comic strips in order to reveal the existential angst of a certain young Mr. Jon Arbuckle. It is a journey deep into the mind of an isolated young everyman as he fights a losing battle against loneliness and depression in a quiet American suburb."

- can be pretty good stuff.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 6:06 pm | Edited by: guy

Posted: Sep 30, 2010 6:35 pm

Cole, I have an old Alan Moore Saga of the Swamp Thing TPB. Are There other volumes? Guess I should google that shit...
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 7:18 pm

I think there's six. Amazon's got 'em pretty cheap. Tommy you should read them if you haven't. Alan Moore is just a badass. i ordered a concrete and The Authority TPB today. I've read Concrete awhile ago but I'd totally forgotten about it. The Authority just sounds badass.
Posted: Sep 30, 2010 11:52 pm

The Goon.
And I think I'm finally gonna get around to picking up Killing Joke.
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 8:53 am

Posted: Oct 1, 2010 8:54 am | Edited by: tigerblinds

The one where a humanoid cat fingers herself is pretty damn good.

That's alot of them...but they're all good...I never get tired of that story line.
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 1:17 pm

I think there's six.

Yeah, six from Moore and then two (maybe three?) by Rick Veitch that continue/follow the Moore run. Everything after that is garbage, even the Mark Millar stuff. Actually I've never read the Grant Morrison series but only because I can't find it
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 2:39 pm

Shogun Assassin

I don't think this sucks. My wife cries at the part where the kid is trying to figure out how to bring his wounded father some water from the river.

Not typically a martial arts movie guy, so maybe I am just up in the night...
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 3:26 pm

i like the astro city stuff. especially tarnished angel.
Posted: Oct 1, 2010 9:25 pm

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. Nuff said.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 2:10 pm

Nuff said.
How about a band puts out a 7"
A: Nuff Said
B: Juss Sayin'
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 2:38 pm

R. Crumb's "My Troubles With Women"
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 5:32 pm

Wrap it around your rich balls.
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 6:14 pm

they are quite rich
Posted: Oct 2, 2010 7:47 pm

I don't think this sucks. My wife cries at the part where the kid is trying to figure out how to bring his wounded father some water from the river.

Yeah, that's a cool scene. Shogun Assassin was made by splicing all the cool parts of the original Lone Wolf movies for an american audience and giving it a completely different name. Visually it's cool. Story wise it's intriguing. But overall it's a little dumbed-down and jilted compared to the originals.
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 8:44 pm

NAM Notes, Micheal GOlden cover art, Doug Murray...?? THE NAM!! I have issue #1 3rd PRINT!!!!
Posted: Oct 4, 2010 9:13 pm | Edited by: Cole

THE NAM!! I have issue #1 3rd PRINT!!!!

Holy shit. I haven't thought about that comic in years. I was probably too young at the time to really get it. I need to get that. damn good pick.
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 3:44 pm

THE NAM!!

My brother gave me all of those when I was in grade school. Didn' t get it. Sold them for pot in Middle School
Posted: Oct 5, 2010 7:30 pm

Trucker Fags In Denial - Jim Goad's masterpiece.
A couple of long haul truckers in denial about their sexuality. But, they end up having to share a hotel bed one fateful night. Butch gets turned on by the smell of Petey's socks and they fuck. Then they freak out and go on a killing spree. Pretty cool stuff.
The comic book Reagans Raiders was pretty cool too. I forget who its by, but the government has this super soldier drug but all the young people they test it on dies. They try it on Reagan, Bush, and his cabinet and it works cause I guess their old and that's what the drug needs is old ass people. But, it turns them into muscle clad badasses and they go on commando missions and shit.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 12:38 am

Stear clear of Marvel Universe..Planet Terry, MERC Hazzard, SPitfire, Kickers INC. Dakota North...etc.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 6:27 am

The first five or six Angry Youth Comix.
Posted: Oct 6, 2010 11:49 am

Peter Porker, the Spectacular Spider Ham.
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 6:23 am

maus!
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 6:57 am

couple of long haul truckers in denial about their sexuality

aahh. so this is a comic based on scott rogers life?
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 12:48 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®