Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / USA bands in the UK
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm trying to compile a list of American bands who only found commercial success after going to England. I know there's a bunch, but all I can think of is Jimi Hendrix and Sonic Youth.
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 3:16 pm

mudhoney (or perhaps the entire early subpop label)
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 5:30 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Dandy Warhols

Not as big as Jimi or Sonic Youth, tho. Man, Sonic Youth in 1999 or so = one of the worst show I've ever seen.
'course I never saw Dandy Warhols.
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 5:36 pm

when they were first forming i was kind of friends with them, thought it was a cool name, but eventually i saw them...
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 5:40 pm

White Stripes?
America (the band)
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 6:21 pm

THE RAMONES
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 6:40 pm

The Gossip
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Blondie
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Pixies
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Stray cats.
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Stray cats.
Good call.
Posted: Jul 15, 2010 11:05 pm

strokes.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 10:07 am

Walker Bros. PJ Proby The Osmond Bros. were way bigger in the UK. (See they had lapses in taste too). Otis Redding was a bigger deal over there than at home. No chitlin circuit for him in UK.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Heartbreakers (tho how much "success" they found is debatable)
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Iggy (solo)
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 1:28 pm

i thought he went to germany (like the beatles)
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Via an englishman's butt.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 2:38 pm

oh
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 3:37 pm

The Beach Boys. After America went hippie in the late 60's these guys had to seek their fame in the UK and the rest of Europe while Americans were jamming to the Doors.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 5:15 pm

The Beach Boys.

I think he was talking about bands that needed UK to launch their careers, not who found some measure of success there during a 45 yr career.

Wild honey, 20/22, Surf's up, and Holland all had substantial American sales and endless summer went to one. Oh well. I'm not even sure when Americas went hippie btw—when Nixon won in landslides or when the top ten songs of 1970 were these hippie classics

1.) "Venus" by The Shocking Blue
2.) "Mama Told Me Not To Come" by Three Dog Night
3.) "I Think I Love You" by The Partridge Family
4.) "Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson & Miracles
5.) "The Rapper" by the Jaggerz
6.) "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five
7.) "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum
8.) "Vehicle" by The Ides of March
9.) "War" by Edwin Starr
10.) "Green-Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf
Ramones aren't the answer either: their debut did ok and they toured almost every night in USA for two years.

but i do love vehicle
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 5:25 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

Ramones aren't the answer either: their debut did ok and they toured almost every night in USA for two years.

not like wikipedia is the answer to everything but...

"Ramones made little commercial impact, reaching only number 111 on the Billboard album chart. The two associated singles, "Blitzkrieg Bop" and "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend", failed to chart at all. At the band's first major gig outside of New York, a June date in Youngstown, Ohio, approximately ten people showed up.[26] It wasn't until they made a brief tour of England that they began to see the fruits of their labor; a performance at The Roundhouse in London on July 4, 1976 (second-billed to the Flamin' Groovies), organized by Linda Stein, was a resounding success.[27] Their Roundhouse appearance and a club date the following night—where the band met members of the Sex Pistols and The Clash—helped galvanize the burgeoning UK punk rock scene.[4] The Flamin' Groovies/Ramones double bill was successfully reprised at The Roxy in Los Angeles the following month, fueling the punk scene there as well. The Ramones were becoming an increasingly popular live act—a Toronto performance in September energized yet another growing punk scene.[28]"

but go ahead and tell us the truth, grandpa
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 6:38 pm

a brief tour????

they ONLY found success??? because a few gigs in UK?

and Youngstown is evidence of what? that people started buying the record after an opening for the groovies 5000 miles away?

prove it, mr wikipedia.

i'd say a debut with a revolutionary sound that reached 111 is ok. NEEDING the uk to be a success?

can you read the initial prompt?

doesn't yr band linguine vomitas need to break up soon? it's been after all a few months and plagiarism is no fuel for aesthetic fire.

but remember: if it's boring it ain't good, quoth chairman beef. that's the same philosophy my next door neighbor has too! then again, she's an eleven yr old mexican girl
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 6:46 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

no idea, what you're going on about (and it seems neither do you).....at least you haven't changed
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm

so anyways it seems like the Ramones were more accepted at first in the UK, and then the UK punk bands were more readily accepted in the US enabling punk to catch on and hence the Ramones to gain popularity in their own country

of course I'm speaking in terms of commercial success and not whatever rock n roll critic fantasy land some seem to be indulging in
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 7:16 pm

You guys just made this thread gay. Congrats!
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 7:24 pm

nice call andy
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 7:38 pm

that's my mission all the time

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 7:52 pm

you hear that, baker

let's toast *the tips of our cocks touch*

SKOL!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®