Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / harvey pekar is a goner.....
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 10:56 am

awww. that sucks.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

Shit.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Loved him on Letterman. RIP.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Damn! After all the remote locations and exotic delicious foods Bourdain has had on his shows, the Cleveland episode with Harvey and Toby stills stands head and shoulders above them all in my opinion. True salt of the earth weirdom. Rest in peace beautiful loser.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 12:52 pm

His comic about stealing records from the public radio station changed my life, and help me realize that being a record collector really is a sickness.
My wife should be happy that Pekar's art help me from being one of those guys with walls of LPs, but I doubt she will remember his name when I mention his passing to her later today.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Last month's issue of Juxtapoz had a feature interview with him. He actually sounded upbeat and excited about some projects he was working on.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Loved American Splendor and the Bourdain episode. Can't say I'm an expert on his work. He was great. RIP.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 3:31 pm

the Cleveland episode with Harvey and Toby

I have to see this. I got into his comics after American Splendor came out but never saw the movie all the way through. I remembered seeing him on Letterman as a kid and wanting his comics. He's good reading to get you through bitter winters...it reminds me I have to give My Cancer Year back to a friend....good reading for anyone with cancer.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 4:27 pm

sad news. r.i.p.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 4:47 pm

bummer. he was a great symbol of how good david letterman used to be, and a great American cranky old man when folks are turning into gelatin or dumbass tea partiers. RIP.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 6:29 pm

i'm by no stretch a comics book dude, but i thought the movie was definitely one of the better stabs at genre. i mean, insofar as it can be classed as a "comic-book" movie
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 6:45 pm

bummed.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 6:50 pm

and a great American cranky old man when folks are turning into gelatin or dumbass tea partiers.

AGREED 666%

he was a great symbol of how good david letterman used to be

AGREED A GOOGLEPLEX%...FUCK WHY CAN'T LETTERMAN JUST GO BACK TO HAVING PEOPLE ON HIS SHOW LIKE HARVEY, AND BROTHER THEODORE, AND CALVERT DEFOREST

MUTHAFUCK A CELEBRITY
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 7:17 pm

i'm by no stretch a comics book dude, but i thought the movie was definitely one of the better stabs at genre. i mean, insofar as it can be classed as a "comic-book" movie

Best Comic movie ever. Best movie of the year. Perhaps one of the best in the last decade.

Pekar was a TRUE artist, intellectual and everyman.

RIP
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 7:17 pm

r.i.p.

what an honest, valuable curmudgeon.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Worst year ever... for the umpteenth gazillionth time. Fuckin A. This man was a god to me.
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 10:19 pm

he made me look forward to growing old. RIP
Posted: Jul 12, 2010 11:12 pm

I remember going to Chicago as a teen and visiting a comic book shop, something a MS boy rarely has a chance to do. I bought some issues of American Splendor and Hate because they looked so weird. My mind was blown, and my view of comics and art were forever changed. R.I.P. Harvey.
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 2:25 am

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 7:04 am

That sucks. I loved all of his comics and American Splendor is one of my favorite movies. A real shame.
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Darn, RIP Harvey Pekar. As an avid comic fan, youll be missed
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 10:39 pm

RIP grumpy-pants... ugh, the grim reaper sure is pissed off this year.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 6:15 am

My mom went to school with him and said he acted the same way on Letterman as she remembered him growing up. Pekar was among the few great populists of his generation.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 8:07 am | Edited by: Tiger Blinds

He inspired me to get a stagnant government job that allows me to focus on my compulsive intellectual habits. He will live on in my heart and shitty pay with deacent benefits.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 8:39 am

He inspired me to get a stagnant government job that allows me to focus on my compulsive intellectual habits. He will live on in my heart and shitty pay with deacent benefits.

He, and Tim Kerr, had a similar effect on me.
Posted: Jul 16, 2010 8:43 am

He, and Tim Kerr, had a similar effect on me

I agree, Tim Kerr and John Schooley are on that same list for me....I guess you could add Charles Bukowski too, I consider him part of Harvey Pekar's network and scene.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®