Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Holy Shit it's R.L.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:29 am

I've never seen this footage before, it's the youngest I've ever seen Burnside.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:41 am

whoa - thanks for the link - I'm pretty sure that's the earliest footage I've seen - any ideas of the source?
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:46 am

Maybe that Fat Possum documentary they put out in the late 90's? Or maybe Deep Blues? I haven't seen either of those.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:48 am

Yeah, this is taken from the "You See Me Laughin'" DVD. I think Tav Falco shot this footage?
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:50 am

incredible! thanks.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:54 am

I guess the one of the older R.L. on his back porch is the one from Deep Blues. But maybe there was this clip as well?

If you've never checked out the photography of Birney Ives, I suggest you do so. I got all three of his books a couple years ago, and it realy made this old footage of Mississippi juke joints more interesting. His first book which can be got for 2 or 3 bucks has alot of pics of Big Joe Williams reading playboy and shit.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:55 am

Nice! It's cool to see him so young and in full form. Sometimes listening to his later material and the last few times I saw him live, I felt like he became a sort of frat house novelty towards the end - with all that cutting and scratching over the music.

any ideas of the source?

Tav Falco and co.? I believe they're known to have the earliest footage.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 10:06 am

I posted this in the Memphis forum a while back but you can see RL and many others in the raw footage shot by Alan Lomax that's online. Here's the main page:

http://research.culturalequity.org/get-video-ix.do?ix=collection&id=0& idType=0&sortBy=abc

And here's some RL (with Alice Mae holding the mic):

http://research.culturalequity.org/get-video-details.do?clipId=02.09.0 8
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 10:32 am

I felt like he became a sort of frat house novelty towards the end

That was my experience last time I saw him, it was at a catholic church picnic and the crowd was full of Animal House types.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 10:36 am

After I got out of college (the first time), I applied at some video storage archive place in the south suburbs of Chicago. I applied to be a stock footage archivist and I was kind of psyched about it but I couldn't keep from staring at the interviewer's huge melons (which is why I think I ultimately didn't get the job). Anyways, they were the biggest stock footage archive in the country maybe? and they made TIME-LIFE looking documentaries out of old footage and stuff, but they also happened to care for all of Tav Falco's footage (treating the old film and transfering it to mediums with better shelf life, keeping it in a temperature and humidity stable room, etc.). I don't know what rights he had to it or what the deal was but it was a significant portion of their collection.

Can't remember the name of the place, it was three letters... Like CSI or something.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:27 am

thanks - if I had to guess, I would have figured that footage to be Tav and company (Randall Lyon?) - it fits the aesthetic.

Sam - good to hear all that old stock is being looked after - I read about a proposed DVD set of Tav's films a few years back, but that never seemed to materialize. Jeez, "Stranded in Canton" took forever, and then just made me want to watch the rest of the footage, all of it...
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:47 am

It isn't Tav's films (I don't think) so much as old archival footage of bluesmen, Delta life and stuff. I can't find the company on the Internet and that was over 10 years ago... I doubt they folded but maybe they moved or sold out to somebody.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:53 am

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:58 am

I doubt they folded but maybe they moved or sold out to somebody.

yeah, that's the world we're living in
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 12:18 pm

And here's some RL (with Alice Mae holding the mic):

http://research.culturalequity.org/get-video-details.do?clipId=02.09.0 8

Those are some of the worst black dancers I've ever seen
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 1:08 pm

I thought it all looked familiar - first photo in this interview with Tav Falco is of "Rural Burnside in his honky tonk, Como, Mississippi, 1974" - the dancer in front appears at 0:44 in the video.

Now, if I can be excused, I gotta go get me a six of tallboys.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 1:37 pm

Between the video and then that Tav Falco interview I have now wasted a big chunk of my afternoon. Thanks.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®