Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Rock n roll at state mental hospital
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 2:05 am

Goners!

I am need of some makers of rock to play at the Portland Oregon State Hospital later this year. It will take me a few months to get through all the tape, but it can happen.

Am looking for a couple of bands to play for the patients. They are the illest of the ill, so respect is a must. Some rock n roll also a must. I am not too familiar with Portland bands yet, so send me suggestions! thanks
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 3:00 am

this is bad ass idea , I work for Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare let me know how to help
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 3:03 am

pure country gold!!!!
Hunches Renunion!!!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 3:41 am

Give 'em something they can dance to. Crazy people like to dance.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 6:57 am

talk to Ken @ green noise
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 9:23 am

Brown Ranger! No more tejas? Bet yer glad to get out of there.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 9:55 am

As someone who works as a unit psychologist on an inpatient unit in a state psychiatric hospital in New York, I love this idea and wish, wish, wish I could put something together like this as well. Total Cramps, Napa style. Love it. Good luck!
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 12:44 pm

Total Cramps, Napa style. Love it.

I bought this DVD awhile ago. So good!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 2:53 pm

MEAN JEANS!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 4:17 pm

They used to have bands play at the state hospital here in Austin almost every week. As much fun as it is for the patients, the bands end up having a blast playing to such an enthusiastic audience.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 4:21 pm

talk to the Cuntifiers....as long as you guarantee Greg some free psych ward food I'm sure he'd do it
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 3:49 pm

Pure Country Gold would def consider playing this if you wanted us!
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 4:19 pm

MEAN JEANS!!!
Cuntifiers..
Pure Country Gold

Perfect. Can I come?
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 4:33 pm

enthusiastic audience
that seals the deal. i just imagined this in my head.
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 5:34 pm

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:20 pm

I've seen first hand the positive therapeutic effects rock 'n' roll has on the mentally ill.
A good friend of mine is a schizophrenic Viet Vet. I treated him to the KK and BBQ Show last time they played in town. He was smiling nonstop for a day or two after the show. He wanted to fuck Those Darlings. It was the best 15$ I'd ever spent on anybody.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:25 pm | Edited by: neisha

Hey! I talked to Ken about Welcome home Walker.
Talked to one of the Mean Jeans this weekend at his show..he pointed out the music may be too much but that he would do it...might have a point there.
Petey will be in touch!

I am gonna figure out if two bands would be ok.
This will likely be in October or November.

Its gonna happen!!!!

Hey bababbqgoat, give me your digits! (i need more friends so I stop hating it here! and we can talk community mental health)
mine (409) 939-3777 neisha504@gmail
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:55 pm

Rock n Roll State Mental Hospital

Rock N Roll

bang yer head

Time to update that A.o.d. song
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:45 pm

Pity Fucks would do this...
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 2:07 am

Neisha,
I'm meeting w/ admin for all secure programs for CBHC to see if she can help out. Also I can talk to county reps. K.Anderson and N.Rothman , probably although we'll need a plan to present.
Also chk yr. email for my stuff , let me know if you wanna hang as I need more friends myself.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 2:10 am

we could test a mini show( this summer outside on porch) at a secure program for SPMI clts. to see how it goes by the way. We just need yo have R.O.I.(release of info) signed for bands.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 2:19 am

by the way I work graveyard shift mon.- fri. and chk this board at night but if you got my stuff, call , I may answer or be asleep. If I don't answer, leave a message and I will call late afternoon , early evening
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 3:44 am

Ghost Mom, a younger garage outfit who just played East End, might be willing as well, they're pretty fun...would others be able to attend this besides the patients?
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 6:45 am

Off hand this is going to be tricky due to federal law and patient confidentiality,public and patient safety.Participants will probably have to sign releases of information saying who they saw there they will not talk about as well as waivers about personal injury. But I cann't say for sure! As stated above these clients are the sickest of the sick and are in a secure facility, so Alot has changed in mental health since the cramps at napa state and it will be a miracle to pull of a show at all , much less a public show at a state hospital.If the state agrees to a show I probably can guarantee zero filming and a day show with really short sets due to attention spans and heavily staffed. All I can say is I have worked five years with very sick individuals and everything I thought I would probably see HAS NOT HAPPENED and everything that has happened has been in ways beautiful , chaotic and at times dangerous.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 9:58 am

verything that has happened has been in ways beautiful , chaotic and at times dangerous.

Sounds great.
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 11:30 am

bbqgoat

public show is out of the question. But privately it can and will happen. I will be doctoring over there for a few months and have already started planting the seeds with administration.

It will just be the bands and the patients....let the psychotic magic a-flow!

Will let everyone know how it goes! October!
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 2:04 am

Makes sense to me and I get to work , earn money to go out to see the bands I want unlike the patients.
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 11:20 am | Edited by: LisaLisa

If Mean Jeans are actually going to do this please email us:
troubleinmindrecs(at)gmail.com
Posted: Dec 29, 2010 10:34 pm

It happened!

Welcome Home Walker came and played the State Hospital today. They opened with Ritchie Valens, mixed in their tunes with some classics and ended the set with some Sam the Sham!!!

In a nutshell:
A long legged fellow with an even longer beard took off his shoes and hit the dance floor immediately. A stone faced Ethiopian lady joined him, and they danced hip to hip, as the band played "Time is on my side." A particularly paranoid, Kennedy-obsessed gentleman who dons a leopard beret admitted that the band "sounds alright" with a grin (that is HUGe comming from him). There were a few teenage screams (coming from grown folk) with the opening chords of Wooly Bully....all in all, the music penetrated the antipsychotic haze and we all had a damned good time. Some folks had not seen a live show since Rod Stewart 77', and some hadn't seen live music at all...so the experience sure was special.

Thanks for the interest! I hope to get some concerts going for patients out in larger group homes in the community sometime. Will post again when I get a chance to plan some more. bye!
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 10:26 am

WOW!
Posted: Dec 30, 2010 11:51 am

That's awesome!

(ironically, the episode of laverne & shirley where they play the state hospital x-mess pageant was on tv a few days ago, too!)
Posted: Dec 31, 2010 1:05 pm

Great that you pulled this off. Love that the leopard beret dude got into it. Sounds all right!
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 1:23 pm

thanks for the report.
there but for the grace of god ...
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 11:29 pm

That is very cool. I'm glad the patients had a good time. If I had a band, I'd record a live album there. Who needs Folsom when you can record at a state hospital.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®