Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / What are the signs of a resealed record?
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:28 pm

I found a set of sealed records that I bought intended to resell, but now I'm worried that they have been re sealed. Grrr.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:37 pm

Take a look-see at the labels for any spindle marks. Also, listen for snap, crackle and pop.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:45 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Seeds and stems in the spine of gatefolds.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:03 pm

I guess she meant without taking the seal off.
In that case, I wouldn't know. You might find some wear and tear and the cover?
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:56 pm

what Sam said
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 12:45 am

I meant without unsealing. The covers are bright and the only wear on the covers is at corners or if there is a hole in the seal. The plastic is tight around most but looser on a few, which is what has me questioning. Also because they are dated 1977. Seems unlikely.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 2:06 am

I thought I read that a lot of collectors don't find any value in sealed records anyway, because you don't know what is inside. As you've noted, the seal could have been done after the fact. There could be a different record altogether inside. The record itself may have defects that you can't see. So, you could sell someone a dud. Or conversely, some asshole could pull some sort of bait and switch and say that the record wasn't mint and return one to you and keep the nice mint one that came out of your sealed record.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:03 am

Maybe you could sacrifice the seal on one of the looser ones just to check.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:20 am

Or conversely, some asshole could pull some sort of bait and switch and say that the record wasn't mint and return one to you and keep the nice mint one that came out of your sealed record.

Happened ALL the time at the record store...
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:53 am

Not as amusing as the time Dusty Groove donated 3 Funkadelic albums for pledge drive giveaways and the sealed record sleeves contained Reba McEntyre albums. NOTHING angers a black man like Reba McEntyre.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 3:04 pm

Maybe you could sacrifice the seal on one of the looser ones just to check.

I'm considering that. Still haven't made a move yet.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 3:23 pm

are these worth significantly more if still sealed?
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 3:54 pm

Send me the records...I'll check. I'm an expert. Listen to me. I need more records... I mean I do this all the time.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 3:59 pm

are these worth significantly more if still sealed?

I don't know. The set is not anything goneriffic. It's a classical set, 22 albums. One of them has the binder used to hold the records sealed in with the record. I bought them specifically to resell, thinking that sealed was probably better than unsealed, then got to thinking that I could have been scammed. Bought them at a thrift store though, so I don't have any real reason to suspect resealing except that I am an unapologetic cynic.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 5:05 pm

Not as amusing as the time Dusty Groove donated 3 Funkadelic albums for pledge drive giveaways and the sealed record sleeves contained Reba McEntyre albums. NOTHING angers a black man like Reba McEntyre.

Godammit.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 10:21 pm

It's highly unlikely that you would make much money on classical records. We hardly ever sell them for more than a dollar at Goner, sealed or not.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:03 pm

what we have learned from this:

Seal records are highly collectable.

If your Seal record has been Re-Sealed, it might be a Reba McEntyre record.

In which case, the value triples, unlesssss you are black.

However, if you have the 12" single of Kiss From A Rose, this is a classical record and not considered valuable. Even if kept in original shrink wrap and brought to goner records.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 12:13 am

It's a classical set,

Welllll, well, well, why didn't you say so earlier -they're worth nothing.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 1:31 am

make sure original sealed record has "180 gram vinyl" sticker on the shrink.

that is as good as a robert johnson autograph.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 12:19 pm

I doubt anyone would take the time to reseal classical records. However, some classical records are worth a ton! There is a market, you just have to know what to look for. If any of these are RCA records, look for "Living Stereo" across the top. Usually these are red labels with the doggie in the center above the hole. Some of these turds go for upwards of a grand. Dosen't sound like what you have would be worth the time to list Windy.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 12:39 pm

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®