Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / anyone wanna try to talk me out of moving to portland?
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:37 pm

because i can't see a downside at this point
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Portland, MI sucks
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:47 pm

which is why i'm headed to the good one
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:47 pm

too much alcohol, tobacco, caffeine.

not enough magical underwear.
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:48 pm

still sounding perfect
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Portland, Maine sounds like a good idea. They have cool accents over there.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:05 am

you'll be steampunk within a week.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:25 am

It rained practically non-stop from late October thru late June.

You'll love it!
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:30 am

Are you crazy? The the music's too loud and the strippers are too gosh-darned naked.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:34 am

check, check, and check. all things i'm looking for.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:41 am

Great town. Hard to get a job in... And I would have said that *before* the economy tanked.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:29 am

yeah getting a job here is a bitch...and bring the raincoat. otherwise you're gold
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 2:53 am

How will you stay close to the temple? How will you avoid killing innocent Arkansans?

They'll probably kick you out of the club.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:07 am | Edited by: Wes Memphis

Dreary weather, toxic political correctness, lots of namby pamby males...enjoy.

Seattle's better.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:18 am

Now for the good stuff...

Powell's City of books on Burnside Avenue in NW Portland. Sitting outside sipping coffee and people watching on NW 23rd. The summers in Portland are magical. Lots of cool little shops. No shortage of great record stores (RIP Ozone records). Did I mention the coffee? Hippie dippie dooing it in SE Hawthorne when trendy 23rd gets to be too much for you. The downtown market by the Willamette river. North by Northwest fest. Lots of alternative lifetstyle thingys going on. And you're only about three hours away from Seattle. Nuff said.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 9:40 am

'Sheed got traded years ago.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 9:49 am

I thought you wanted to come back to Memphis.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:06 am

How will you stay close to the temple?

Actually, there is a temple right across the street from my house. Hookers turn their tricks and thieves leave their stripped cars in the parking lot.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:25 am

Whatever you do, don't move to Portland.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:16 am

portland's not bad - but, yeah, it's a real bitch finding work here. unless you've got savings or unemployment checks, i wouldn't move here without some kind of work already lined up. my wife couldn't find a job for a year, and another friend was out of work for 6 months after coming back from studying abroad. winter and spring can get really depressing with the terrible weather, but like wes said - the summer's are pretty amazing and there's tons of stuff going on.

don't let these bozos trick you into seattle, though - that town blows hard.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:30 am

Great place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. 'course I feel the same about Portland these days.

Centralia, Oly, Tacoma - that's where you wanna live. Drive to one of the big cities for occasional weekend fun.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 11:35 am

Seattle's better.

Seattle is the worst city I have ever been to
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:10 pm

total.

Portland rules but like everyone says, the job market is bleak so unless you want to end up panhandling in Pioneer Square with a pit bull, line up some work first.

Wish I was sitting on the banks of the Mighty Mollala River right now, drinking beers with Seantos, Bradley, Gator, Huth, et al...
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:14 pm

seattle and portland are great if your dreams of being a homeless crackhead or a totally pretentious hippy. Move to LA where you can become flaky and say the word Bra as a term of endearment.
Good to see you DCR!!!
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:16 pm

Wish I was sitting on the banks of the Mighty Mollala River right now

The weather hasn't been nice enough yet this year for river ratting. Although, now that July is here, it's forecast to go from 65 to 90 in the space of about 4 or 5 days.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:33 pm

Bring your Sambas when you come to punk rocks largest retirement community.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm with Seattle.

the weather is worse in Portland, it rains a lot harder.

in both towns it rains from September thru May. I just talked to somebody in Seattle, it is raining today and he said it hasn't touched 72 degrees yet this year.

also, there's a lot more dykes in Portland, and some hot chix in Seattle, just sayin'
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:04 pm

Having lived in both cities I can say definitively that Portland is a much better place to live than Seattle.

That said, all the talk about jobs is true. On the other hand, I think when people say "jobs" they mean non-service industry work. As far as I know (and this may have changed in the last couple of years) work in restaurants and bars is pretty easy to come by, and you probably know enough people with some sort of connections to get yr food in the door.

It rains a lot, but if it gets too intense just drive down to SF to catch some rays in Jan/Feb. Summer rules, food rules, coffee rules, record stores rule, close proximity to mountains, desert, rain forest and coast, etc, etc
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:40 pm

As far as I know (and this may have changed in the last couple of years) work in restaurants and bars is pretty easy to come by

from what i hear, it ain't as easy as it used to be.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 1:55 pm

Wow all the Seattle haters! In all fairness my point of reference is from the nineties when I lived in Portland and spent a fair amount of time in Seattle. Don't know how it is now as I haven't been in the Pac NW in over ten years. I guess it's a matter of taste and personality. I'm too much of a lumbering redneck for Portland. Seattle is bigger and badder.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 2:15 pm

winter and spring can get really depressing with the terrible weather,

I'd rather be waterboarded daily for a year than spend another winter and spring in Portland.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 2:17 pm

from friends i've had on the service industry job hunt this year, they had zero luck from december through early june, but now that summer's here, they all managed to find stuff. i get the impression that a lot of bars and restaurants hire big in the summer, and then in the fall cut all those people to one shift a week until they quit.

Bring your Sambas when you come to punk rocks largest retirement community.

ha! my old roommate from sf would always refer to portland as "where punkers go to die." and it's true - i think MDC still plays here pretty much every week - accoustically!
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 2:41 pm

Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:18 pm

As far as I know (and this may have changed in the last couple of years) work in restaurants and bars is pretty easy to come by

from what i hear, it ain't as easy as it used to be.

That sucks. But it seems like I read about 5 new restaurants/bars opening every week.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:30 pm

Finding a job here is pretty horrid. Open a food cart or something, that seems to be what most people do judging by the explosion of carts everywhere. If that doesn't work out you can sit in front of the rite aid downtown with your pit bull and your money for beer sign.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:30 pm

Wow all the Seattle haters! In all fairness my point of reference is from the nineties when I lived in Portland and spent a fair amount of time in Seattle. Don't know how it is now as I haven't been in the Pac NW in over ten years. I guess it's a matter of taste and personality. I'm too much of a lumbering redneck for Portland. Seattle is bigger and badder.

I lived in Seattle in the early/mid 90's and Portland since 98. Seattle was quickly going downhill when I left. The SuperPeople had taken over making it completely un-affordable and rancid with self-satisfied pricks. Portland seems to be going the same way in a slower, somewhat more amusing fashion.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:32 pm

That being said- it is a pretty easy, lovely place to live if you can finagle some work.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 3:34 pm

i gotta get started working on a money for beer sign.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 4:52 pm

I have several friends (and family members) in Portland who lost their jobs due to the economic downturn. My cousin has now been unemployed for 18+ months and two of my friends have decided to go back to school after more than 6 months of actively applying for jobs and turning up with nothin'. Find a job before you move there! Or just move back to Memphis. :)
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:09 pm

Stream is hiring!
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:21 pm

i have to imagine though that Portland at it's worst must be 10 times better than Provo at it's best, so hope you can make it happen!

is the band kaput now?
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:42 pm

i gotta get started working on a money for beer sign.
Saw a guy here the other day with a "too ugly to prostitute" sign.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 6:44 pm

i have to imagine though that Portland at it's worst must be 10 times better than Provo at it's best, so hope you can make it happen!

very true. i think there's a certain Portland backlash that stems from a lot of petty bullshit. i lived there for 11 years and i'm certainly guilty of talking a little too much shit about it. truth is, there's no place i'd rather be during the summer months but unfortunately, there's only about 2 1/2 months of those. the folks in the music community are generally real supportive and great people. not sure what rentals are costing these days but 3 years ago they were pretty cheap. good, cheap ethnic food, great dive bars/strip joints. Pierced Arrows. Pure Country Gold. Kyle Huth. I could go on but you get the point.

you know about the clouds and the rain so i think getting a job will be your only struggle. a lot of it is who you know, at least in the service industry. i had a friend move there from Memphis some months back and she was struggling to find work. i made one phone call and my friend hired her a few days later so ask your friends there to keep there ears open and save some money.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 8:28 pm

is the band kaput now?
nope, we're all thinking about heading that way. i was just being a stupid ass that night.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 9:17 pm

This talk about jobs being difficult to find in Portland, is this primarily regarding unskilled workers or service industry stuff? If someone has IT skills like configuring networks how difficult is it to find work?
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 9:21 pm

right now you're in the freshman dorms. portland would bump you up to sophmore co-ed dorms. maybe later think about moving off campus or grad school.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 9:59 pm

big sister thoughts: Memphis. Wrangle nana's house while you still can. You'd be set there and mom and dad never set foot in midtown, so you won't have to hang out with them if you don't feel like it. I'm sure portland is fun, but you have way more contacts in Memphis.

goner board poster thoughts: Damn, that sounds like a blast. Provo sucks you should get out of there. You could probably get a cool house venue going. Fuck a bunch of jobs, who needs one?
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:00 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

Fuck Portland.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:03 pm

It's like a honkey bomb exploded there.
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:06 pm

but you have way more contacts in Memphis.
not so much anymore. actually it's about even
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:15 pm

but you have way more contacts in Memphis.

i was thinking job wise as well as musical and social.

not so much anymore. actually it's about even

Really? Eh..go for it
Posted: Jul 1, 2010 10:30 pm

job wise, i ain't got shit in memphis
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 2:09 am

If someone has IT skills like configuring networks how difficult is it to find work?

Start looking somewhere like here.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 3:27 am

You should watch the movie Dig! Everyone in Portland is like that.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 4:30 am

ob wise, i ain't got shit in memphis

seems like jobs are just as hard to come by in Memphis as Portland.

Portland = possibilities

Memphis = predictable

good luck!
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 10:31 am

Just move to Portland. THERE I said it.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 12:38 pm

so true

somehow, tho, my friend's kid managed to find a black crack dealer to go out with.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 12:48 pm

portland has zero soul full of girls that come out of american apperal and watch way to much sex in the city . bums begging every where you turn and one of the wrost jobmarkets ever i left in june and it was 50 and raining nothing but metal shows although a lot of gooner bands played the east end lots of hipsters lots of upper middle class white kids that move to to portland to be hip a total fucking fashion show very passvie left a very bad taste in mouth
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 1:18 pm

Stream is hiring!

That was my first job here. They had a special bathroom for the trans-gendered employees. Hard to find that outside of Portland.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 1:32 pm

They had a special bathroom for the trans-gendered employees.

what? the gender benders couldn't use the "regular" pisser?
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 2:06 pm

apparently the ladies at the office weren't comfy with penises in their bathroom even if they were attached to a "lady". I worked there when it all went down - it was quite the office controversy.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 2:14 pm

so "male" and "female" benders had to share one pisser? i guess the seat was ALWAYS put down no matter what.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 2:40 pm

I quit my IT job recently. I'm probably up shit creek. Whatever.

I've gone on about five interviews this spring, none of which have panned out. I think the competition is just really stiff right now-- they can be real fucking picky. If you're specialized and have experience doing something they're hirinrg for, then you're probably going to land on your feet.

As or me, I feel stuck between a few different career paths and I guess there's few jobs out there where I can check off every little item on their laundry list of qualifications. It wasn't like that when I moved up here 3.5 years ago-- I got headhunted within a month and placed in a position where I felt pretty green.

For temp / contract jobs, check out Robert Half, Kelley Services and Campus Point. I'm sure there are others...
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 2:43 pm

and regarding unisex bathrooms, if a bar / restaurant has got 'em, they're usually private / one-at-a-time facilities, not big bathrooms with multiple toilets. so it's not a big deal.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 3:18 pm

lots of hipsters lots of upper middle class white kids that move to to portland to be hip a total fucking fashion show very passvie left a very bad taste in mouth

this still can be avoided to a large degree, though becoming more difficult. i certainly hoped it has peaked. a don't-give-a-shit attitude goes a long way to ignoring this ilk.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 4:37 pm

yeah, it's clique-y enough that it's easy to ignore. steer clear of the overhyped flavor-of-the-week bars and restaurants and you won't have too much to complain about.

the music scene is like that, too: the small venues tend to pick a few related genres and stick with 'em. for instance, every year the PDX Pop Now festival thing comes along and I haven't heard of 90% of the bands, maybe because I'm not douching it up at Hollocene (or whatever) every weeknight.

I grew up in a smaller city where you couldn't help but endure the occasional mis-matched opening band, or ended up playing odd bills because it was good enough. Guess there's enough venues here that it doesn't happen so much, for better or worse.
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 4:46 pm

a don't-give-a-shit attitude goes a long way to ignoring this ilk.
no sweat
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 9:05 pm

They had a special bathroom for the trans-gendered employees.

Hey lady nice penis!
Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:30 pm

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:42 pm

True, but to quote my friend Shawn, a Portland resident for over 15 years: "They're annoying but they don't attack you."

There are definite trade-offs involved with living in a city with homogeneous demographics, but nobody I know that moved there gets annoyed enough to leave.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 1:47 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Gentrification reared its head. The hood got dispersed. I used to work with the dude that got 14th closed off. Fuckin Greek chemist videotaped deals and shit. Destroyed the hood.

I'm pissed cuz the Standard Dairy sign is gone. Day Care motherfuckers!

Now Gresham is scarier than it used to be for tame white people.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 7:07 am

The cops will murder yr. ass for nothing!!!
Its become pricey!!! ex. cost of shows!
Tooooo mannnyy druuuuggzzzz , easy to score , easy to get trapped!!!
9-10 months of pissing weather , its a rain trap , jet stream + cascades= wetness
Women are uptight
Time goes by too fast , cause all you do is work , kinda of like livin in New York
Tooooo many white people
noooooooo jobbbbsss , alot of people begging in the streets
Theres a fucking river running thru the center of the city!!! Traffic is a nightmare!!!
THE PACIFIC OCEAN IS COLD-PACK A THICK ASS WET SUIT EVEN FOR SUMMER SWIMS!
It literally rains 9-10 months a year.
The state is broke.
Stay home stay safe doooo nooot move to this fucking city.
Trust Me
PORTLAND SUCKS!!!!!
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 7:14 am

Literally if my daughter wasn't living in NoPo, with my ex. and I had full custody , we would be home in Memphis.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 7:31 am

If your in school get your degree, get a job, live cheaply save your money , retire early and visit.
And then party.
I'm 40 , a senior at PSU who cann't pass math , ex-dope fiend and thousands of dollars in debt. Did PDX cause these things in my life ? No , but they are days I wished I neeevvvvveeer would have left Mempho.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 8:52 am

True, but to quote my friend Shawn, a Portland resident for over 15 years: "They're annoying but they don't attack you."

until you throw an aluminum can in the garbage instead of recycling it. then you'll have a subaru tire tread on your chest.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 9:02 am

until you throw an aluminum can in the garbage instead of recycling it. then you'll have a subaru tire tread on your chest.

that was 5 years ago. now you get a locally built, fixed gear, seat post to the face.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 9:48 am

you don't have to live in the northeast.

out near 82nd you got your mexicans, southeast asians of all flavors and the criminally-enterprising russians. if i were even older and dumber than i already am, i would complain about none of the signs being in english. but i am first and foremost a glutton and it makes for ridiculously good food choices.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 12:49 pm

you don't have to live in the northeast.
I would say inner southeast is the self-satisfied caucasian hive central...i'm in inner northeast and the other day, why, i saw me a bona-fide black person...and not just on the T.V. box!...celebrate diversity portland!....if only every other city could bumper-sticker it's way to world peace and racial equality...
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 1:15 pm

a don't-give-a-shit attitude goes a long way to ignoring this ilk.

Agreed. The hipster aversion schtick is pretty thick and tiring also.

Two hipsters walk in a bar, one says to the other "fuck this place, it's full of hipsters!"
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 2:08 pm

I love hipsters. I only see 'em a couple days out of every month, though, so there's a novelty aspect.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 2:43 pm

If you hate sanThe cops will murder yr. ass for nothing!!!
Its become pricey!!! ex. cost of shows!
Tooooo mannnyy druuuuggzzzz , easy to score , easy to get trapped!!!
9-10 months of pissing weather , its a rain trap , jet stream + cascades= wetness
Women are uptight
Time goes by too fast , cause all you do is work , kinda of like livin in New York
Tooooo many white people
noooooooo jobbbbsss , alot of people begging in the streets
Theres a fucking river running thru the center of the city!!! Traffic is a nightmare!!!
THE PACIFIC OCEAN IS COLD-PACK A THICK ASS WET SUIT EVEN FOR SUMMER SWIMS!
It literally rains 9-10 months a year.
The state is broke.
Stay home stay safe doooo nooot move to this fucking city.
Trust Me
PORTLAND SUCKS!!!!!

Most of the above information is wildly inaccurate. I've never had to wear a wetsuit to swim in the Pacific but I just put on a snorkel cause I'm drowning in your tears
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 3:58 pm

There are way whiter towns in the PacNW than Portland. Although the local powers that be seem to be working on changing that.
Hipsters: tend to stay confined to three specific intersections in the city. They're terrified to go anywhere else. I avoid these areas as much as I can, many of us do.
Jobs are a bitch and a half to get, at least if you want to make enough money to have a home. The last year has been a bit of a struggle but I've been through worse. Rent can be really reasonable if your looking for a place and not a neighborhood.
There's a lot of fun stuff to do all the time, too many choices really.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 4:01 pm

I just put on a snorkel cause I'm drowning in your tears
that was beautiful.....sniff....
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 4:08 pm

The cops will murder yr. ass for nothing!!!

Only if you're black and / or mentally ill. Whitey, for the most part, gets off easy.

The really bad traffic is confined to the interstates (or hwy 26), so this problem can be largely avoided by living and working in inner Portland rather than a suburb. Traffic's kind of a clusterfuck around the Rose Quarter before Blazers games, but again, fairly avoidable.

Getting stuck in line for a bridge lift will eat 10 or 12 minutes of your day, but it's not the end of the world.
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 7:16 pm

There's a lot of fun stuff to do all the time, too many choices really.

So true. That was one thing I loved about Portland. Not just lots of things to do but cool little offbeat events going on. If you could take the best things about Memphis and fuse them with the best things about Portland, now that would be a hell of a town!
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 9:49 pm

Seriously, Joey...there is no perfect city in this country for sure, but I DARE you to hate it here. I DARE you to ever eat crappy food, get bored, or have nothing to do...miss out on seeing great touring bands because they never come through (lookin' at you, Denver). Avoiding the hipster-ific is no harder or different here than anywhere else. Laugh at them. If you can't enjoy Portland you are a bitter, miserable whiner... and clearly not the coldest beer in the fridge. I've called at least 10 different cities/towns home, and I doubt I'll ever move again, seriously....seriously.
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 12:37 am

I love Portland.

You all can complain and criticize all you want, but I like it here.

Seattle can kiss my ass, it sux.
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 3:43 pm

I like Portland alot, even though I don't plan on living here the rest of my life.

While there's certainly aspects of living in this city that aren't gonna be for everyone, I think a lot of the criticisms I've read in this thread are overblown.

Jobs: yes, the job market is a bitch. I always say that Portland is a great place to live IF you can find a job.

Weather: I'm from the midwest originally, and while there is a lot to love about living there, the main reason I'll never move back is cause of how much I hate the fucking weather. Portland winters seem like a snap compared to sub-zero temps in the winter and 100% humidity in the summer.

Traffic: The public transportation system here is quite good (although why it doesn't run 24 hours is a total mystery to me). My wife and I have a car, but we both commute to work on the bus, it's about 10 minutes for me, and a little more than double that for her. So we spend little-to-no-time fighting traffic.

Cost Of Living: Yes, it's gotten more expensive here, but it's pretty relative. With the exception of Tacoma, Portland is still cheap compared to any other big city on the west coast. (San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, etc) Was able to buy a house here, which definitely would not have been an option in any of those other places.

Hipsters: It's 2010, probably time to give this one a rest. Besides, that sorta scene is really concentrated in a handful of trendy bars/restaurants/areas of town, which NO ONE has to go to if they don't want to. For example, I too hate (for the most part) the bands/crowd at places like Holocene. Which probably explains why, in the 5+ years I've lived here, I've been to the Holocene exactly once. Not my kinda scene at all, VERY easily avoided, not even worth the time it takes to complain about, really.

I can easily see why people could think of Portland as pretty homogenous, but I live in the 82nd Ave corridor, there's no shortage of racial/economic diversity 'round there parts, if that's something that's important to you.

And as an aside, I've heard the availability of drugs as a criticism of this town/the NW in general. I've never been offered hard drugs in Portland. Not once. That scene is certainly here if you're into it, but rather than being too readily available, it's been my experience that you really need to seek it out.....................
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 3:47 pm

well said
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 4:13 pm

seconded....but let's take Ken to the bathroom and smoke some acid..
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 4:17 pm

how much talking did it take to convince you to move to Utah?
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 4:28 pm

jesus told me to. figgered i wouldn't argue
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 7:25 pm

jesus told me to. figgered i wouldn't argue

is Jebus chiming in this time?
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 8:40 pm

not that i know of
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 10:00 pm

satan, via miss linda, is certainly the one to listen to.
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 11:11 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It's nauseatingly liberal.
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 7:32 pm

there's too much competition for your band

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 9:25 pm

It's nauseatingly liberal.

I'd so much rather have nauseatingly liberal than nauseatingly conservative.
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 9:42 pm

^^ what she said ^^. Anybody that's lived among the ultra conservative would say the same. It's excruciating.
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 10:24 pm

And seriously, anyone in any city involved in the indie/ undie rock scene complaining about "honkininess" in Portland? Just because you live in or drive through a racially mixed neighborhood doesnt mean you have diversity in your life.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 12:22 am

Jeez, the honkey comment was a joke, people. He asked for reasons not to move to Portland, and I gave my direct conclusion stemming from the fact that I counted no less than 13,000 Subaru Outbacks during my 5 day stay in Portland. Subaru Outbacks being of course, the honkiest possible honkeymobile that a honkey can honk. (My girlfriend, a bonafide honkey, drives one). Also, I live in a very diverse neighborhood and I wish it was gentrified already! These blacks and hondurans and guatemalans are keeping the property values down, not to mention the irish problem.

Anyway, seriously though, if you want my advice dude, don't move somewhere just because you think it's "you." this has become sort of a defining characteristic of our generation and it's really kinda embarrassing. people graduate from college and the next logical step is to find a city/place that they can "identify" with despite not having any real connection or opportunities there. I did this exact same thing when I was 21 and looking back on it, it was a gamble that could have easily been a complete waste of money, a squandering of years off my life, and a slew of missed opportunities that I could have had elsewhere. Only because of pure luck and persistence I was able to put down roots. In the current economy and state of things though, I wouldn't have lasted a year.

In conclusion...acceptable reasons to move somewhere far away:
1) Family
2) Love
3) High paying job

very bad reasons to move somewhere far away:
1) Existential / identity crisis
2) They have good shows and hot chicks there
3) The grass is greener there
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 12:52 am

but without:
1) Family
2) Love
3) High paying job,
i still need a change of pace. i'm bored and tired here. home doesn't sound good right now. i don't see portland as a place that can define me, rather, a place where i don't have to work so hard to be able to do what i like doing.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 6:13 am

rather, a place where i don't have to work so hard to be able to do what i like doing.

which is what tons of other people already will be doing in Portland...much better to carve your own niche out in the desolate wasteland and then you will own that...yes it might not be worth owning to most but you also might actually make a difference...even if it only means another decent stop somewhere in fly over country versus one of ten other places to play in one of the 6 big cities on the coasts

but don't listen to me, I'm drunk and want a cheeseburger dog
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 7:36 am

Mark-

I ate 2 chili dogs at Pat's and I feel like a KING.

A king with mudbutt

Tucson was a good move
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 7:37 am

Portland=seasonal depression
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:06 am

in conclusion...acceptable reasons to move somewhere far away:
1) Family
2) Love
3) High paying job

These, plus a "how bad could it be?" attitude were exactly the reasons I moved from my home state of California to Denver in 2002. For 7 years I was stuck in an idilic prison of complacent, vanilla and "nice", and never more depressed. I had a fake family, fake friends, fake employers, and never felt like it was "home" or I could thrive there. I'm not some crazed anarchist, crusty radical, or hippie love-monger...but damn, I need weirdos around me to feel sane. I had a good marriage, a beautiful daughter, a great paying job, a house, a basset hound...and after a few years I was crawling out of my skin. I had so much guilt and explaining to do for being unsatisfied with my perfect situation. When my ex-husband accused me of having a grass-is-always greener complex, I believed him (at first), and tortured myself over it...for 3 years...until I'd had enough.

Pretty much the reasons I moved to Portland...and I won't ever say it has been easy. I've had some serious health problems from all the stress and change. With 7 years in my field, it took me 4 months to NOT find a job, and decide that my only hope was to work for myself. I set up shop without a single client, and no name for myself. It's been a year and I'm about halfway to making the living I need to support myself and my kid...BUT it's HAPPENING! I spent the first 6 months bringing in $200-400 a month, but I've worked hard, and there has been a steady incline every month...enough to keep me optimistic. Portland loves the DIY small businessman...that shit WORKS here. I also have what I need socially, and have met really cool, genuine people here...certainly as many as ever I knew in Cali. The music scene is fantastic, yes...and why should anyone have to live without great shows? I fell in love. My kid is thriving, though, I miss her madly when she's back in Denver (like she is all Summer). I dunno, man...sometimes the wrong reasons are the RIGHT ones. My story...just sayin'...
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:12 am

I hate to say it, but Mark Beef is right. What you like to do is well covered in Portland. Plus, I don't know that it would be less work.

Playing in a band: You've been in at least one band the entire time I've known you. There seem to be plenty of willing people in Prove for you to play with.
In Portland, you'll be the new guy that nobody knows, and there's way more competition. Not just good bands either. There's some terrible bands in Portland that everyone loves cause they're friends with the band, and because in Portland, just like everywhere else, [i]most[/i] people have terrible taste.
Will you be better set up for touring? No. You're pretty centrally located for West coast runs. The tour you just did sounds like it was a fairly good time. You just need to do it more often. Then you'd get to visit Portland more often, but you wouldn't just be another band with some guy nobody knows. You'd be that crazy Mormon band from Utah that's only here every 3 or 4 months. "Let's go check that shit out!"

Running a venue: Do you know how many fucking venues there are in Portland? All the bands that you love and that play at the Compound have already got plenty of places to play in Portland, AND they now have no stopover in Provo heading cross country. I don't know if you realize how important the Compound has become, but I know a lot of bands are thankful for an Oasis in the vast wasteland of Western America. With you in Provo, Ryan and Co. in Tempe, and Justin and Tara getting things going in Las Cruces the prospect of touring nationwide doesn't seem so daunting. You're providing an exceptionally valuable service that you seem to really enjoy.

And also...you run that town. It may not be the greatest town, but it's yours. All the ladies in town know who Joey Mayes is, and there's a fresh crop of ladies every year. That's something to consider very seriously if you're thinking of leaving for anywhere.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:21 am

i still need a change of pace. i'm bored and tired here. home doesn't sound good right now.

Sounds like your seeking a rebirth of the senses. Maybe coming to Portland, and putting yourself in the vulnerable position you are no doubt going to find yourself in, is exactly what you need.

Do yourself a favor- throw all logic out the window and stay away from this thread.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:22 am

there's a fresh crop of ladies every year.
lady farming!
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:56 am

sometimes the wrong reasons are the RIGHT ones. My story...just sayin'...

Yeah. I moved to New Orleans in 2002 for no real reason at all. Had no friends here, no job, nothing. Took almost a year to find a job that paid the bills, which was purely a stroke of luck. without that, another 6 months and I probably woulda been broke and moving into my parents house. I don't regret any of this, in fact it turned out great, but if I'd struck out it would have been a total disaster. and I've seen plenty of people strike out.

bottom line, figure out what a year's worth of living expenses will be for you up there. $10,000 is probably a good ballpark figure for rent, food, etc. assuming you live pretty lean and pick up the occasional odd job or shitty service industry gig. If you don't have that in the bank or you're not willing to part with it easily, don't even think about moving.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 12:02 pm

Joey - move to Jenison, Michigan and become a con-man. There are lots of dumb people here. Plus, we'll start a band with Tom Potter and start having more shows in my basement. The Goodnight Loving show was just the beginning.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 12:12 pm

Joey - move to Jenison, Michigan and become a con-man. There are lots of dumb people here.

that's not a bad idea. You know how many purses I've seen left in running cars while folks be running in a store?
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 12:34 pm

bottom line, figure out what a year's worth of living expenses will be for you up there. $10,000 is probably a good ballpark figure for rent, food, etc. assuming you live pretty lean and pick up the occasional odd job or shitty service industry gig. If you don't have that in the bank or you're not willing to part with it easily, don't even think about moving.

Agreed. Without what I made from the sale of my house in Denver (about 10K), some food stamps and a few hundred here and there from my family, I NEVER would have made it. But what STUGUN said, sometimes you need a rebirth of the senses...and it was worth it!
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 12:54 pm

Man, this is exactly why you should move here!
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 1:30 pm

Yeah. I moved to New Orleans in 2002 for no real reason at all. Had no friends here, no job, nothing. Took almost a year to find a job that paid the bills, which was purely a stroke of luck. without that, another 6 months and I probably woulda been broke and moving into my parents house. I don't regret any of this, in fact it turned out great, but if I'd struck out it would have been a total disaster. and I've seen plenty of people strike out.

Exactly my experience with Portland. I did have student loans to help me pay my way cuz I was in school my first two years here, but I definitely moved here on whim, didn't know jackshit about this place or a single person and ended up very happy. I also was sick to death with where I was living prior to Portland and feeling suffocated by family and friends, as awful as I feel saying that. Sometimes you just have to make the jump...if it doesn't work out you can always move somewhere else. I would have to agree with hoarding some money before you move though, it helps you sleep at night. At this point, you are probably more confused than ever asking for our advice...flip a coin!
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 2:20 pm

I hate to say it, but Mark Beef is right. What you like to do is well covered in Portland. Plus, I don't know that it would be less work.

Playing in a band: You've been in at least one band the entire time I've known you. There seem to be plenty of willing people in Prove for you to play with.
In Portland, you'll be the new guy that nobody knows, and there's way more competition. Not just good bands either. There's some terrible bands in Portland that everyone loves cause they're friends with the band, and because in Portland, just like everywhere else, [i]most
people have terrible taste.
Will you be better set up for touring? No. You're pretty centrally located for West coast runs. The tour you just did sounds like it was a fairly good time. You just need to do it more often. Then you'd get to visit Portland more often, but you wouldn't just be another band with some guy nobody knows. You'd be that crazy Mormon band from Utah that's only here every 3 or 4 months. "Let's go check that shit out!"

Running a venue: Do you know how many fucking venues there are in Portland? All the bands that you love and that play at the Compound have already got plenty of places to play in Portland, AND they now have no stopover in Provo heading cross country. I don't know if you realize how important the Compound has become, but I know a lot of bands are thankful for an Oasis in the vast wasteland of Western America. With you in Provo, Ryan and Co. in Tempe, and Justin and Tara getting things going in Las Cruces the prospect of touring nationwide doesn't seem so daunting. You're providing an exceptionally valuable service that you seem to really enjoy.

And also...you run that town. It may not be the greatest town, but it's yours. All the ladies in town know who Joey Mayes is, and there's a fresh crop of ladies every year. That's something to consider very seriously if you're thinking of leaving for anywhere.[/i]

Based in reality but smeared in bullshit. Seem to be a lot of Portland "experts" around here. Normally I am telling people that this place ain't as cool as they have been led to believe but this is silly. It's a bunch of drunks and strippers having a pretty good time. I don't think we invented shitty bands either. We have more good bands here than I can afford to see and I like that. Portland has a pocket for everyone (including bitter failures, we have lots of those too). So strange to be defending Portland tho
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 3:18 pm

You'd be that crazy Mormon band from Utah

polo shirts tucked into khaki pants is crazy?
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 3:20 pm

smoke some acid..

father of a friend of mine would say "they're high on 3 sheets of fuckin dope"
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 5:26 pm | Edited by: Mark Beef

don't see how my or scott's response was smeared in bullshit

but what do I know, I'm not a Portland "expert"...more a "common sense" expert

and FYI my response could have been about NYC,SF,LA,SD,SEA,CHI,etc if that's where Joey was talking about moving to
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 6:30 pm | Edited by: frankenspline

a place where i don't have to work so hard to be able to do what i like doing.

Portland's slacker image will fuck up your expectations. There's a lot of people that want that "easy" barista job. Similarly, I hear bartending is a hard gig to land without connections.

I've often felt like I'm the only person in a five-mile radius with a white collar job. I've been thankful for stuff like expendable income and health insurance. Until I quit my job, I was making a modest sum of money that satisfied my needs. A lot of folks don't.

But for me personally-- Portland has decent amounts of tech jobs compared to the other places I've lived. It's not Redmond, but it has some spill-over. If I'd had the knowledge to be objective and compare the job markets of where I was moving from vs. Portland, pdx would have won. There's more than three "big" employers here-- can't say that about the places I bailed on, even if you count the military.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 6:37 pm

heard that nike might need someone to make coffee "on campus"
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 6:42 pm

we're all idiots...just fuckin' do it....Provo will still be there if you don't dig it here..
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 6:43 pm

Don't Move. Nuff Said. Done

********************************************************************** ********************************************************************** *******************************
NEW TOPIC **** NEW THREAD ****SOMETHING DIFFERENT******
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 6:46 pm

also, plenty of assholes move here every day, sure. but a lot of them end up leaving (or moving to austin or something). let the revolving door keep revolving. stick around if you want.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 7:22 pm

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 7:47 pm

t's a bunch of drunks and strippers having a pretty good time

maybe i should move to portland.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 7:56 pm

i think you should do it jerry
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 8:25 pm

Let's just keep going back and forth....And talk about it more.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 8:27 pm

so, you think jerry shouldn't do it? i don't understand why not
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 8:45 pm

it's a bunch of drunks and strippers having a pretty good time

Too bad they have to stand forty feet away from you or did they finally legalize lap dances? I kinda doubt it. The south has the best strip clubs, not that I really give a shit about them anymore.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 9:59 pm

Oh, I call total bullshit on that, TrollWesMemphis. I've lived in a lot of states and countries and I can say, without a doubt, Oregon has the best strip clubs. They serve liquor and full nudity. Tell me the south does that. I could give a rat's ass about some silly lap dance.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:06 pm

Too bad they have to stand forty feet away from you or did they finally legalize lap dances? I kinda doubt it. The south has the best strip clubs, not that I really give a shit about them anymore.

Hruh? That's nothing like my typical Portland strip joint experience! Where I go they troll for lapdances like you wouldn't believe. Way different than other towns. I've had chix rubbin' and lickin' my bald head. I've gone home with chix and done 8-balls with 'em every Tuesday. I've had 'em give me scalp massage (that was one of the best, believe it or not).

I've seen 'em squirt mother's milk on my buddy! He was grossed out. I was AMAZED!!!!!
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:07 pm

They serve liquor and full nudity.

Memphis does/did. Haven't been in a while, but a law got passed a while back after all the prostitution/cops-get-free-hand-jobs thing. Like most things in Memphis, it's probably back to normal now.
The Gold Club just got it's new two-storyish "annex". I don't really frequent them anymore, but I may have to go just to see what they did. Hopefully they have strippers under 45 now.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:16 pm

but a law got passed a while back after all the prostitution/cops-get-free-hand-jobs thing

Ah. Found it.
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=2&to pic=36021
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:20 pm

i think you should do it jerry

i'm going straight from columbus to portland!

get ready guys!
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 10:33 pm

get ready guys!

Fag
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 12:08 am

Oregon has the best strip clubs.

totally fucking true. more cesarian scars, retarded quim strutters, and angry russian pimps per capita than any city in the U, S, of A.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 12:10 am

I've seen 'em squirt mother's milk on my buddy!
Me too! I'm sure I bored the shit out you already, but, I remember walking into [enter name here] and the dancer was on her third dance. My buddies were busy buying a pitcher and the be-speckled, school girl clothed dancer crooked her finger at me, winked and, twisting her nipple and managed to shoot a stream of milk into the newly arrived pitcher, unbeknowest to said pitcher buyers - from the paltry distance of just 24" of stage to ringside seating. Said I, to pitcher buyers, " ". Did I imbibe? No. Did I tip? Yes. Crazings.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 12:17 am

But this stripper business is just academic. Should we be asking if PDX requires another bearded musician? Well, that's not up to me as I don't care.

Others have already expounded upon the job situation. Others have already expounded upon the demographic situation. Others have already expounded upon the hipster plague. The question really sits in your court. I would advise a recon trip, if you haven't already. Despite the sage advice of Mssr. Martel, I always believe one should never travel for love. Portland has great book stores, brew pubs, a pretty diverse music scene (in case you drift towards unicorn-shoe-gaze), liberal strip club laws, pasty white flesh, bicycle progressiveness, wannabe foodies and small-enough-not-to-be-too-bigness that equates to a nice quality of life. That's all I've got to say, besides, thank god you're not from CA.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 12:37 am

Oh, I call total bullshit on that, TrollWesMemphis. I've lived in a lot of states and countries and I can say, without a doubt, Oregon has the best strip clubs. They serve liquor and full nudity. Tell me the south does that. I could give a rat's ass about some silly lap dance.

Oh whatever. I like full contact strip clubs if I'm going to one not some hands off teaser show. That's why in the states I like the ones in the south. If you don't care about contact then nuff said. I did enjoy Webb's Pub when I lived in Portland and one or two others whose names I can't remember. If you've travelled outside the US to any real degree and can still say Oregon has the best strip clubs I seriously question your judgment. The US can't hold a candle to Thailand or Brazil in that department. But like I said, I really don't care about them anymore. Been to a bazillion all over the planet. I could sit in one and fall asleep now. Jaded.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 1:24 am

i'm going straight from columbus to portland!

Don't worry, boys. He isn't going straight ANYWHERE!

And lighten up, AlecHolland. If you'll look more closely at my comment, you'll see I'm not speaking ill of Portland at all. I'm just telling Joey not to move there because his band went on tour and had a good time there that night.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:16 am

Provided your balls still work, you should be able to walk out of a Mpls. strip bar reaking of tittie powder. If you're real young, you might even smell sort of like mushrooms.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:11 am

more [...] angry russian pimps per capita than any city in the U, S, of A.

someone goes to Union Jacks a lot.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:32 am

true, but this actually refers to the old Dino's on Hawthorne, where I was harrangued (sic) by a Russian pimp (insert heavy accent)

"No Greenery, No Scenery!"
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:41 am

Hahaha! I'll never forget that old hag that tended bar there. Kinda like an older, somewhat more female, greasier version of Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 6:29 pm | Edited by: Wes Memphis

Ahh that was the name of one of the other ones I liked to go to. The one on East Burnside with the cool murals of the girls painted on the front, or at least it did back in the nineties. The Son Set on the British Empire a long time ago.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 7:14 pm

cool murals of the girls painted on the front

they're still there

http://www.portlandground.com/kerns/2005-12-10portlandUnionJack.jpg
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 7:23 pm

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 7:49 pm

Ahh, the Sandy Jug! I lived with a couple girls that worked there. That place was rad! Lame pinball (Judge Dread), tho.

The Backswing had Apollo 13 back then, so I liked it better, even though the dancers weren't as good.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:30 pm

holy shit, are you sam soule?
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:50 pm

Consistently amazing burritos do not exist here.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 8:57 pm

i been there, sandy jug, seems like it was addams family
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:44 pm

Ahh, the Sandy Jug!

Don't know if you've passed by there lately but the readerboard says:

"No Soul Required"

What the fuck that means, I don't know. But I find it hilarious.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 9:48 pm

I was born in Portland, lived there for the first ten years of my life, moved back there and lived for ten years... do not do it.

Every reason has been given already.

If you're dialed in job/career wise beforehand, you might have a chance, otherwise you're fucked.

I was pretty liberal when I moved back in the mid 90s, but that soon changed.

If you actually work downtown, you are the enemy of of all the homeless who hate you and are insanely agressive. All the "cool" stuff, record stores, theatres etc. don't really mean anything if you have no money. It's a weird mix of socialist/progressive stuff and cool little businesses. Doesn't work, at least not for me.

And as far as venues and bands and all, it's all been said earlier.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 11:16 am

1) Family
2) Love
3) High paying job

Whoa... I wasn't even looking for answers to anything, but this struck me as very profound, solid advice.

I am about to graduate college in a year, and my wife and I always toss around the idea of moving somewhere. However, I am more inclined to stick around for those first three reasons. I think most of the desire to move stems from the latter three, and when you break it down like that they don't seem very reasonable.

I got my answer, now back to DCR.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 12:43 pm

Stream is hiring!

Temp Agency sent me there. Weirdest experience ever.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 2:07 pm

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 3:48 pm

holy shit, are you sam soule?

He was too busy playing pinball a bit further down the street at Fantasy Video to bother with the Sandy Jug in those days. Well, at least until it was pointed out to him that the friendly pinball players there were actually cruising him.
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 4:11 pm

1) Family
2) Love
3) High paying job

I would never, ever consider moving anywhere i didn't want to be simply for money...love is where you find it...same goes for family for that matter...most of the family in my home state are the most misererable fucking pricks i ever met in my life...I've lived in 6 states...in my youth, the moves were based mainly on whim...had no marketable skills to speak of, yet i always seemed to get by, and enjoy wherever I was until it was time to move on....no big deal...change of address, dmv shit job to start out...blah, blah...no different than moving anywhere else....if you aren't anchored by responsibilities like kids or wife or such where you are, why the fuck wouldn't you go somewhere new? To me that's the whole point....fuck a bunch of sour, bitter motherfuckers who wouldn't be happy in any city...i say keep moving....and when you get there, keep your eyes peeled, wear a rubber, and don't trust whitey...
Posted: Jul 8, 2010 5:01 pm

Well, fly high, Freebird!
Posted: Jul 9, 2010 9:34 am

why the fuck wouldn't you go somewhere new? To me that's the whole point....fuck a bunch of sour, bitter motherfuckers who wouldn't be happy in any city...i say keep moving

Yeah, I guess it just comes down to personality. I'm more of the type to go visit a new place, make friends, and plan on going back. Fortunately, my career choice allows for lots of time to travel (summers off).

To DCR, my good friend...of course we'd all miss you around here. I don't think anyone would really be able to fill your shoes, and Provo would probably just go back to fostering its singer-songwriter scene. The compound crowd would disappear for good until someone else equally dynamic moved into town. Nobody else in Provo right now would be willing to put the time into it.

However, I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. I don't think any city could eat you alive...because if you made shit happen in Provo you can make it happen somewhere else.

Everyone on here is talking about the poor job market in Portland (which I don't doubt is pretty bleak), but the market in Provo isn't much better. With two Universities in the Provo/Orem metro, there is an abundance of people looking, and very few positions available. I've only ever landed a job with a lot of luck on my side...so maybe it wouldn't be that much different elsewhere. You're already facing the same challenges here.
Posted: Jul 9, 2010 11:15 am

Just move already!
Posted: Jul 9, 2010 12:08 pm

Yep, you really should move immediately. If you hem and haw and don't move 'til November, you'll hang yourself by the end of February.
Posted: Jul 9, 2010 12:12 pm

Joey - move to Jenison, Michigan and become a con-man. There are lots of dumb people here. Plus, we'll start a band with Tom Potter and start having more shows in my basement. The Goodnight Loving show was just the beginning.
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Hurry up. You're missing out on fun activities like this!
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Only in Portland!
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Face it, Joey, Canada sucks. Just don't do it.
Posted: Jul 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Having lived in both cities I can say definitively that Portland is a much better place to live than Seattle.

Ditto. Portland is S-town 20 years in the past. Seattle was fun in early 90's when I lived there and the music scene here matches that somewhat.

That being said you wanna trade lives. I own a house in SE PDX, have a city job and a steady band rockin the weekends...I'm looking for less fun, its hurting my marriage
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Consistently amazing burritos do not exist here

Try El Nutri- best since Mission SF! Trust me i've tried em all
Plus they have vegan for those that require

Best in Town
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Stream is hiring!

That was my first job here

Ha! My first job was a couple of miles away at DirecTV/Beaverton which consisted entirely of ex-Stream people. Of course I was clueless when I moved here and lived in Aloha for free rent since the inlaws managed the Apt.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:37 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Try El Nutri

Oooh, that name is SCARY. Conjures up thoughts of Nutri-Loaf.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Wish I was sitting on the banks of the Mighty Mollala River right now, drinking beers with Seantos, Bradley, Gator

Just got done drinking with seantos last night, nothing like Fernet and Skyhooks
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Oooh, that name is SCARY. Conjures up thoughts of Nutri-Loaf.

yeah I thought they were cooking up those Nutria (beaver rat)
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 1:37 pm

We took a swamp tour in Louisiana last year and the tour guide regaled us with tales of his famous nutria pizza. It sounded delicious.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

We took a swamp tour in Louisiana last year and the tour guide regaled us with tales of his famous nutria pizza. It sounded delicious.

sounded, being the key word
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Well, we didn't get to try any, but they have very nutritious diets, so I have no doubt they are tasty. But, this discussion obviously belongs in the Food and Drink forum.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm

mission style burritos are gross
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 2:52 pm

pray tell what is in a nutria's nutritious diet ...
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

burritos are gross

unless they're deep fried, covered with sauce and cheese and an egg or two sunnyside up!

Tons o' good tacos in Portland, and that's what matters.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 4:09 pm

unless they're deep fried, covered with sauce and cheese and an egg or two sunnyside up!

that's callled a chimichanga con huevos

and that's a ganga
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 4:36 pm

All I can say is I remember the "special quesadillas" at El Burrito Loco were yummy in a spicy mouth singeing sort of way.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Posted: Jul 14, 2010 5:32 pm

that's callled a chimichanga con huevos

Umm, yeah, thx for the tip, bro.

Special Quesadillas at El Buritto Loco? You mean the pastrami, cheese and guacamole ones? Those were the ultimate in greasy goodness.

RIP, EBL on Portland Blvd. I'm guessing 82nd location's still around.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 6:00 pm

pray tell what is in a nutria's nutritious diet ...
Well, they're herbivores and they love eating delicious wetland vegetation.

Here's a recipe for Smoked Nutria and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

The State of Louisiana has a bounty program that pays $5 for each severed nutria tail that you turn in AND you get to keep the meat for yourself. They are paying YOU to eat. Woo hoo!
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Don't get the ones outta the Columbia Slough, though.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

From what I hear, Portland is a pretty happenin town when compared to Seattle in terms of the music scene. I just moved up to Seattle from dusty old Tucson, AZ. A town, where dare I say seems to have more going on music wise than Seattle does. I suppose that depends on what you are into. Its a pretty metal town here. That being said there are quite a few gems that come through. However, they are ptobably Portland-bound anyway. The few times I have hung out in Portland I have ended up at coke parties with what look to be like the extras from a Dokken video or something. Lots of metal "hipsters" there. If there can be such a thing. It is a beautiful city. And I am all for people getting the fuck out of their comfort zones and trying something new and different. And hey- if it sux- you got a friend in Seattle!
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 6:14 pm

tying this all together, if you visit Chinese Gardens on 82nd, not only will you take in a fine slice of humanity (re: drug dealers, prostitutes, meth zombies) but I once spied a nutria scampering across the false, illuminated ceiling.

Yummy!
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Don't get the ones outta the Columbia Slough, though.
Good call. De-icing runoff + Nutria = not nearly as appetizing.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 7:15 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

tying this all together, if you visit Chinese Gardens on 82nd, not only will you take in a fine slice of humanity (re: drug dealers, prostitutes, meth zombies) but I once spied a nutria scampering across the false, illuminated ceiling.

Chinese Village? Probably just a big rat!
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 7:19 pm

I just moved up to Seattle

That was where I was trying to relocate to when I ended up in Portland instead. Threw a little too low and light at the geography dartboard I guess. Always had a riot in Seattle but I realize visiting a place and living there are two different realities. Summertime downtown by the Pike Market when the sun is out in all its glory, Puget Sound, the mountains and smell of the ocean. Walking into the Fenix Underground at the ass end of a Sage show and seeing beautiful girls in long dresses and combat boots at Pioneer Square. Good times. But this was many many moons ago in the early nineties. Man time flies. I'm sure Seattle's a different monster now.
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Special Quesadillas at El Buritto Loco? You mean the pastrami, cheese and guacamole ones? Those were the ultimate in greasy goodness.

Yeah...that's the one. Mmmm. Almost makes me want to go to Portland just to eat some more.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®