Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Fred Anderson, Goner
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 8:36 pm

R.I.P. A giant. I had no idea we had the same birthday.
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 11:09 pm

kind of a giant: there were so many others in the mid 60's, post bird, imbuing Trane, but his tone was beautiful and anyone who could say that he was at the beginning of AACM deserves sooo much credit

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 11:11 pm

monster bassist here

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 11:17 pm

he had the best wall paper and chandeliers I've ever seen, at the old location. We always had a great smile. And a sweet tone.
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 3:32 am

RIP
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 8:05 am

Never really met him but he seemed like a particularly good guy, community-minded, respected and beloved. That Vision Festival gig in '99 (crazy that was the first time he played NYC) was one for the ages. RIP --- hope to see and hear you again in the by and by.
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 9:15 am | Edited by: Tiger Blinds

Joseph, my b-day is the day before you. Horoscopes are bullshit but by that tradition, late-Pisces early-Aires people tend to become musicians. Something to tell girls.

I share my B-day with Son House.
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 9:20 am

Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:27 am

Spent some time with him in varying capacities over the years and always had good experiences. Lots of memories of good shows both by him and related groups and at the Velvet Lounge (not that it's going away).

Honestly, I can't think of any way you can look at all of his contributions over the last 40-50 years---music, organization, club owner, mentoring---and come up with "kind of a giant." What he did goes way past being part of the mid-60s wave of improvisers and co-founding AACM.
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 10:52 am

Never an ounce of pretentiousness at his club. He chatted you up like an old friend when you entered. And he sat down with old and young, black and white; he never seemed to notice. My favorite nights were always the Sunday night jams, especially 2nd set, when students and mentors alike would take the stage. He seemed to give back twice what he took from this place. And boy did he love that microwave popcorn!

He'd get so irritated with the Chicago Jazz scene during jazz fest, all flocking to his club that weekend, while ignoring him most of the rest of the year. So he used to head down to NOLA to swap club ownership with Kidd Jordan. Always cracked me up.

I really enjoyed watching him bring Hamid Drake onto the scene, and mentoring him into an amazing percussionist.

Very fond memories of Fred and Velvet. Very fond. Really hope Velvet lives on.

Sunday, 4th of July, AACM Jam session is scheduled to play. Should be a great show.

Thanks, Fred. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kCjFhGSjjwQ/ScaTAbD_auI/AAAAAAAAAIA/-sR1Og6e Xnw/s400/velv-5.jpg
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®