Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / The first LP that changed your life
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 11:04 pm | Edited by: Wes Memphis

What was the first album you owned that actually changed your life or the direction it would take. I know what mine was. I'd rather wait and see if someone matches it before I say. What's yours?
Posted: Jun 2, 2010 11:24 pm

Well......
If we're talking truthfully the first album that changed my life was "Bookends". The second was "Bob Dylan's Hits Vol. 2". The third was "Ziggy Stardust". I'm talking little girl, here.

The Bob Dylan record was left in this house we moved into when I was 13. You listen to "Like a Rolling Stone" by accident when you're 13 and a pretty impressionable little girl and that's about all she wrote.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 6:00 am

Posted: Jun 3, 2010 6:58 am

white album
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 9:54 am

the ramones first album probably changed me the most.

the first album that changed my life? probably "the who sell out"...really opened my eyes to a world beyond radio hits.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:05 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast"...one of the "bad" kids in 6th grade (he had been held back a couple years,wore a denim jacket and concert shirts, and had one of those long handled combs in his back pocket) lent it to me...the cover scared the shit outta me, and the music sounded evil...It seemed like something I shouldnt be allowed to listen to...made me crave MORE!
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:09 am

After 'Elvis and Me' originally aired on network TV when I was (probably) in first grade- I went out and bought an Elvis greatest hits tape within a few days of that - that tape ruled!
Around that time I also got the first KISS on vinyl at a yard sale - I remember liking the Elvis tape a lot more.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:35 am

My mom's box of Sun 45s and the Fabulous Ventures when I was 6.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:41 am

probably the white album... at like 9 i realized you could make up songs about onions, raccoons, being in russia, living in a bungalow, and then do a 9 minute noise number and that was okay. good to know.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:56 am

Ice T's Power
Or
Def Leppard's Pyromania
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 11:07 am

1st LP I ever bought was The Queers, Love Songs For The Retarded....I was already on a downward spiral but I guess that album made me feel cool about it.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 11:37 am

New York Dolls !!!i think it was self titled, but i remember listining to TRASH over and over and over until the grooves were worn down!
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 11:45 am | Edited by: LisaLisa

REM - Document
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 12:58 pm

freedom of choice
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 3:26 pm

I never really listened to music before I received the Clash's self-titled album for my 13th birthday, along with "Smash Hits" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. The next milestone was listening to live recordings of the Velvet Underground which were like a key to a secret door that led to another world filled with the truths about life and death and the 20th century.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 3:34 pm

Television Marquee Moon

It was 1977 and I didn't know rock & roll could sound like that
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 4:29 pm

Alive II

been a fucking rocker ever since
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm sort of with Alisa, in that Bob Dylan (like it or not) has proven to be incredibly important. My mom was into Western and Hootenany, so fell for Dylan early. Blonde on Blonde got alot of play at our house, and messed with my Rolling Stones vs. The Beatles world-view. There was other music out there (literally).

Eric's comments re The Beatle's White Album are insightful, and ring true (despite the fact I can't imagine dropping the needle on that record now).

The New York Dolls debut is probably the one that changed everything for me. It was the first record I bought that was "mine" (not a previous generation's, as was the case with The Velvet Underground, who had just broke up by the time I tracked down Loaded). I was in high school, it rocked like crazy, and it offended people. It promised a different world than the one I was stuck in.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 7:38 pm

The first Van Halen record.

It was 1978, I was 10, and I remember exactly where I was when I heard it.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 7:46 pm | Edited by: Seamus

white light/white heat
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 8:07 pm

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds

In 1977 my cousin Charlie played it for me...dropped the needle on "Big Balls" first, of course...quite the mind-blower for a 7 year old girl...shocking, but too cute to be afraid of. Paved the way for a lifelong obsession with AC/DC... and made Hessianism a dominant force in my repertoire forever after.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 8:34 pm

despite the fact I can't imagine dropping the needle on that record now

I love that record
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:11 pm

white light/white heat

my best friend's brother had an 8-track of this and we would listen to it when his bro was out of the house. the thing scared the ever loving shit out of me.
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:33 pm

This older dude I shared an apartment with when I was way younger told me never to hesitate to dig into his collection in the living room. He had all these DIY punk comps that were by city....We're Desperate (LA), The Blank Generation (NYC), Mass Ave (Boston), etc. I remember hearing the Zeros, Germs and X on the LA one, it clicked for me more than anything I'd been into before that ever had. Started killing that on the stereo and my discman, rocking all the other ones one by one and just never looking back. Never got a chance to thank that dude cause he was never around except when he was getting laid which was constantly.

A little while later found the Cramps Songs The Lord Taught us and that was definitely seminal too, as far as KNOWING I'd always be into this shit, for life...
Posted: Jun 3, 2010 10:38 pm

Stryper - To Hell with the Devil

It made me think: if god was on their side then why does their music suck?
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 12:31 am

[White Album] I love that record

I know, everybody does.

[White Light/White Heat] my best friend's brother had an 8-track of this and we would listen to it when his bro was out of the house. the thing scared the ever loving shit out of me.

We dropped in on a friend one night in high school, and his older brother had WL/WH on one stereo and Funhouse on another, both blasting loud enough we could hear 'em when we got out of the car. His car (a black Triumph TR4) had a Velvet Underground sticker (from their gig in Toronto) on the inside of the driver's door, so no surprise. Putting the two records together was sort of inspired, though.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 1:23 am

his older brother had WL/WH on one stereo and Funhouse on another, both blasting loud...putting the two records together was sort of inspired, though.

I love doing that shit sometimes. It's amazing some of the sounds you can get during those points when the music "synchs up" in ways. I found dark ambient works really well as a background to rock records in a creepy cool kind of way.

Ah reckon that's how mixin' got borned.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 8:00 am

[White Album] I love that record

I know, everybody does.

I don't think Billy Childish does.
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 10:48 am

yeah - Billy Childish is too concerned with his mustache to care about much!
Posted: Jun 4, 2010 9:21 pm | Edited by: Wes Memphis

Kiss-Rock & Roll Over in 1977. My first hard rock record. Been hooked on heavy rock ever since. Five years later I was a feather banged, beer swillin' pot smokin', studded wristband wearin' heavy metal parking lot kid. Didn't say it changed my life for the better. Discovering Pink Floyd's Meddle album in 1984 was the first thing that got me listening to something besides metal (<--not to be confused with meddle).
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 1:40 am

The Fleshtones - Hexbreaker
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 2:07 am

Ive thought about this a lot, and I think it it is either [u]Goodbye Yellow Brick Road[/u] by Elton John or a Tom Jones record my mom had that was full of hits, (Delilah, She's a lady, What's new Pussycat, I'll never fall in love again, It's not unusual). Neither are very cool to mention, but both had a profound effect on me.
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 8:31 am | Edited by: ottawarockerdude

one of the very first punk records i bought was a comp called "Burning Ambitions - A History of Punk"...it blew my mind, and still does

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=424574
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 12:09 am

Fast Product- Mutant Pop

Pretty well blew my 10-year-old head clean off; Mekons, Gang Of Four, Human League, Scars etc.- found for a dollar at some outlet mall in Kentucky

also Labat- M. Frog and Trout Mask Replica too, but that came first
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 1:16 am

Generic Flipper
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 3:00 am

The Fleshtones - Hexbreaker
SUPERROCK!
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 3:12 am

Hallowed Ground - VIOLENT FEMMES
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 5:26 am

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 9:18 am

Finally found a copy of the Legend LP(red boot) on Vertigo from 1970. It is not anything I heard when I was a kid but it is blowing my mind currently. It's funny how sometimes you hear a record that predates(and obviously influenced) a lot of records you dig and suddenly you get a new perspective on those other records. It is perfect. It is the Rosetta stone of pub rock. Chuck Berry, swamp pop, soul, Coasters and Fairport Convention all rolled into one. Someone should reissue this. It's my new favorite album.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 9:57 am

the Rosetta stone of pub rock

never heard of it, but this sold me. i'm gonna check it out!
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 10:11 am

the Rosetta stone of pub rock

sign me up - I was just giving Dave Edmund's Rockpile a spin with fresh ears (haven't heard it in ages) and had never noticed (or simply forgot) that he covered Neil Young's "Dance, Dance, Dance"
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 10:28 am

Yes Driver, I think you will love it. Here's Cross Country
While you're on youtube check out others from the album especially "I feel like sleeping" and "Lorraine".
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 12:40 pm

Someone should reissue this. It's my new favorite album.

Goddamn! That's fantastic... and where can I get me some of those boots?
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 1:32 pm

Decline of Western Civilization LP
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 1:38 pm

Someone should reissue this. It's my new favorite album.
Apparenlty, Repertoire Records did CD reissues of their LPs a few years ago.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 2:18 pm

Anyone who's thinkin about gettin'em should look before they leap on the other two. First album from 69 is cool but more acoustic, third album is OK too but more contemporary hard rock sounding. Different producer. Neither are as solid as Red Boot. The Tony Viscont production is key. That guy loved to put that tight delayed guitar right up front!
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 2:23 pm

They've got a "new" album and can occasionally be seen in rural northern English pubs.
http://www.mickeyjupp.com/
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 2:50 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

My uncles have recommended Legend to me...same guys that recommended Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, Fugs, and Spirit. I've just never run across any Legend. Of course one has a barn full of thousands of LP's just rotting away and will only offer up what he literaly gets around to digging out.

I think they learned about most that stuff in San Fransisco in the 70's...I'm going to S.F. in a few months for my cousins wedding....I wonder if I will come back a cool uncle.

Thanks for the reminder Greg, now with the advent of youtube I can finally know what they sound like.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 3:32 pm

I'd have to go with Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass' lp "Whipped Cream and Other delights"....just the cover...I was ten years old
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 4:06 pm

That Live at Monterey album with Hendrix on one side and Otis Redding on the other.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 4:38 pm

Goo by Sonic Youth. Yall are old
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 6:53 pm

Black Flag - Damaged

Thirsty & Miserable
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 7:29 pm

Repertoire Records

Alas...LONG gone are the days of finding TANK CD's at the Tower outlet in SF for $3.99...
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 9:04 pm

LONG gone are the days of finding TANK CD's at the Tower outlet in SF for $3.99

Lol! Filth Hounds of Hades is sitting on my dresser.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 10:10 pm

Lol! Filth Hounds of Hades is sitting on my dresser.

Power of the Hunter fuckin slays. Great rendition of Crazy horses to boot. I need This Means War on wax. Algy Ward Rules!
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 9:33 am

Greg - thanks for the head's up re the Legend LP. I don't know how I missed this one; Mickey Jupp, Bill "Legend" and Tony Visconti! (another one added to the "want" list) I still prefer the Dr Feelgood take on "Cheque Book" but it's pretty cool to hear where it came from after all these years.
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 7:29 am

Glad you dug it too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®