Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Do you ever...
Posted: May 22, 2010 5:53 pm

...buy records at garage sales, just so they won't end up being thrown away?

I have a copy of Devo "Freedom of Choice" if anyone wants it.
Posted: May 22, 2010 7:53 pm

15 cents including shipping. Thanks!
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Nope. I rarely buy records at garage sales because only a very particular demographic of people want to get rid of their old records. People who don't have very interesting taste in music and people who only get rid of the records that nobody wants anyhow.
Last summer I picked up "Switched on Bacharach", "This is Video Clash" laserdisc, Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince's "Parents Just Don't Understand", Salt n' Pepa, and J.J. Fad's "Supersonic". Those are rare exceptions to what I usually find.

I'm tired of seeing the following records: Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, K-tel compilations, and Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A.".
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:18 pm

What the fuck? Buying records at garage sales is crucial, especially if it's to keep them from getting tossed.

Do you ever . . . flush before you finish peeing.

"Yes, almost every time. I don't know what's wrong with me."

I did buy 'Freedom Of Choice' from a thrift store for about that money and replaced the copy I had.
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:23 pm

...wonder if tommy looks better in his cashmere sweater(winter) or his cotton sweater vest (summer)
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:33 pm

People who don't have very interesting taste in music and people who only get rid of the records that nobody wants anyhow.

wrong
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Bruce The Douche, you just crossed yourself off the free Devo LP list.

Eat Scott's dick, Smiley.
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:37 pm

cotton sweater vest (summer)

i saw a dude walking down the street the other day in skinny jean shorts, SHIRTLESS under an argyle sweater vest and trucker hat. if i were bruce it would have been instant hard-on.
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:41 pm

'Freedom Of Choice'

buy every copy at thrift and second hand stores and yard sales everywhere. i think i'd be pretty cool to be the biggest collector of that ONE record.
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:43 pm

ha!
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I have a copy of Devo "Freedom of Choice" if anyone wants it.

Can I have it? jahnarain (a) gmail

Thanks!!!
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:52 pm

arman, you have no room to talk about sweaters, you cable-knit-wit.
Posted: May 22, 2010 10:00 pm

wrong

huh, i agree with vinyl richie for once. one of my best record hauls ever was at a rummage sale. there were a couple small boxes of LPs under one of the tables with no price on them. the woman said they were her son's and she didnt even know if they were for sale. she went inside and dragged out this burnout looking dude, he thought for a couple seconds and said buck apiece and went back inside. for $40 i got pretty much every major label 1st pressing 77-78 punk record. 1st clash record, sex pistols, damned, 1st 4 ramones, 1st 2 dickies, cramps gravest hits, generation x, dead boys, etc. nothing terribly rare and mostly records i already owned, but there was a good local record store at the time that took them on consignment and i made ten times my money back in about 2 weeks.
Posted: May 23, 2010 6:00 pm

People who don't have very interesting taste in music and people who only get rid of the records that nobody wants anyhow.

i got alotta great records from a lady i know who had held onto her brothers albums after he died years ago, she gave them all to me for no cost, some great tapes too !
deadguysrecords count !
Posted: May 23, 2010 7:17 pm

arman, you have no room to talk about sweaters, you cable-knit-wit.

robin, i wear sweaters, i like sweaters. you can talk tie-dye. i can talk sweater.
Posted: May 23, 2010 8:31 pm

i saw a dude walking down the street the other day in skinny jean shorts, SHIRTLESS under an argyle sweater vest and trucker hat. if i were bruce it would have been instant hard-on.

i swear to god, IT WAS ME!!
Posted: May 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Eye of the beholder on the "nobody wants" issue, obviously, and depends on where you live. Out here in bumfuck, the fact that anybody under 60 or thereabouts still listens to vinyl- let alone recent records that aren't of the hip hop or dance club varieties- seems to mystify a lot of folks. So I've found Wanda Jackson, Eddie Cochran, Dennis Coffey, The Seeds, Ramones etc. here in town or close by for cheap. It's just dealing with the people here that fucking sucks royal.

I could do without seeing 18 copies of Going Places everywhere I go, though; dealt with enough stric'ly-NOT-camp/ kitsch/ ironic Herb Alpert TJB bidness around the house growing up, puhlease AND thank you
Posted: May 23, 2010 9:34 pm

I had no idea until very recently that kitsch is German for trash; there you go
Posted: May 24, 2010 8:31 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

I rarely buy records at garage sales because only a very particular demographic of people want to get rid of their old records. People who don't have very interesting taste in music and people who only get rid of the records that nobody wants anyhow.

What! Musicians have yard sales too! Fucking Michael Jackson and Tim Burton and Anne Rice and Steven King have yard sales. Sometime musicians parents have yard sales and sell their Happy Cadavers 7 inchers.
Posted: May 24, 2010 12:20 pm

...buy records at garage sales, just so they won't end up being thrown away?

I will buy any reasonably-priced copy (a few bucks) of "Willie & the Family Live" I run across, whether it be garage sale, thrift store, or actual record store.

If I have extra copies and someone comes to my house who doesn't have one, they leave with one in their hands.

Beyond that, no.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®