Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Been listening to Blue Oyster Cult
Posted: May 22, 2010 6:47 am

All this talk of BOC...deserves it's own thread.

waking up with The Thing...awesome live album from 1981
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:47 am

Saw those guys live New Year's Eve 1980. Head East opened the show. Great concert. Back then there weren't a whole lot of metal bands around (comparatively speaking) so it was a treat when someone like that rolled through town. I remember Some Enchanted Evening and Priest's British Steel making regular rotation in the eight track player of my buddies Javelin. Man I'm really turning into an old fucker.
Posted: May 22, 2010 10:06 am

Tyranny and Mutation should have god-like status among 70s rock LPs...one of the greatest of all time.
Posted: May 22, 2010 11:55 am

The first four BOC LP's are essential to anyones record collection.
Posted: May 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Spectres is pretty bad.
Posted: May 22, 2010 1:18 pm

The first four BOC LP's are essential to anyones record collection.

Slight reservation about the fourth, but overall yeah.
Posted: May 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Think about it, no B.O.C. no Radio Birdman. Listen to Secret Treaties. Study it!
Posted: May 22, 2010 4:15 pm

yeah...Tyranny and Mutation and Secret Treaties are killer....Hot Rails to Hell!
Posted: May 22, 2010 6:46 pm

From the BNR Metal Pages:

Where does one begin in describing the sound and style of Blue Oyster Cult, one of the most unique hard rock bands ever? Formed in the late 60's in New York (first as Soft White Underbelly, then as Stalk Forrest Group, both of which have since been used by the band when performing "secret" gigs), the band's quirky, offbeat songwriting style has won over many a fan and critic over their career, a career that is still going strong after more than thirty years. They are best known for their massive hit "(Don't Fear) The Reaper", as well as "Godzilla" and "Burning For You", but their best work, as least from a metal perspective, is the earlier material, in particular the first three albums. By the mid-eighties they had softened their sound and lost some of their edge, as well as popularity, and were more or less disbanded after 1986's Club Ninja. With the exception of 1988's Imaginos (originally intended as an Albert Bouchard solo album), the band was not heard from for several years, but then re-emerged in the late nineties with two new albums and their fifth (!) live album. Bouchard left the band some time ago to form Brain Surgeons, a band that also is still active today.

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/bandpage.php?ID=BOC
Posted: May 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Bouchard left the band some time ago to form Brain Surgeons, a band that also is still active today.

true story...Bouchard once asked Robert (of the Gringos, Joint Chiefs) what kind of cowbell he used because he really liked the sound of it...this was right around the time of the Will Ferrell/Walken SNL BOC skit...everyone started to laugh, but Bouchard didnt know what we were laughing about
Posted: May 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Posted: May 23, 2010 4:16 am | Edited by: clif

I hoe the stalk forrest group stuff is better than the few soft white underbelly songs I've heard.

I love the first two BOC albums, but the few times I've listened to Secrets and Treaties it has left me cold. Will definitely give it another spin.
Posted: May 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Man I'm really turning into an old fucker

Not as old as me! Well, maybe. 1978, Lakeview Arena in Marquette, MI. Can't remember who opened. Whole show was good but Don't Fear the Reaper was magnificent.

Saw them again as Soft White Underbelly at the Kabuki Theatre in SF, circa 1983. Wish i still had that t-shirt.
Posted: May 25, 2010 10:45 am

Stalk Forrest Group

I first read this as "Stalk Forrest Gump"...

Anyway, I just heard some old cover band play Don't Fear the Reaper at the annual Salt Lake City "Strut Your Mutt" event. The dude on lead guitar looked pretty damn old, and was singing and shredding his BC Rich like the reaper was really coming for him.
Posted: May 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Hosoi Bros do a rad version of Burnin For You
I'm a first 4 albums fan. LOVE BOC!
Posted: May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

The dude on lead guitar looked pretty damn old, and was singing and shredding his BC Rich like the reaper was really coming for him.

haha ! I wonder if Eric and Buck have that same vibe. When they're kicking out the Reaper, nowadays.
Posted: May 25, 2010 7:32 pm

You can find out for yourself: They're playing the Delta Fair thing at the Agricenter 9/3. They've been carrying a five-string bass-thumper with them for the last ten or so years, so be ready for some RHCP with your BOC.
Posted: May 26, 2010 7:58 pm

This band does a nice accoustic cover of "Don't Fear the Reaper" with chickie poo vocals on their myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/untoashes
Posted: May 26, 2010 8:35 pm

You can find out for yourself: They're playing the Delta Fair thing at the Agricenter 9/3. They've been carrying a five-string bass-thumper with them for the last ten or so years, so be ready for some RHCP with your BOC.

yeah caught them at horseshoe and there were some pretty gross moments, especially the bass solo...but they played "dominance and submission" so it was worth the drive
Posted: May 27, 2010 2:09 am

I saw them in '03 or '04 and I know the "bass solo" you're talking about. But wikipedia says they're playing with this guy since '08: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Sarzo

formerly of Quiet Riot, Ozzy, Dio...not too shabby.
Posted: May 27, 2010 3:29 am

i saw them as a kid, my dad took me in the late 80s, it was awesome.

love 'em/
Posted: May 27, 2010 4:29 am

Man I'm really turning into an old fucker

I am old - saw Blue Oyster Cult open for Mott The Hoople (Fall, 1973). I was already a fan, with their logo ball-point penned across the front of notebooks. They were goofy fun, at one point everyone on stage wielding a guitar. I'm sure the whole band got to solo (yawn), along with the drummer hitting his cymbals with chains (or am I imagining that?) I'll stand by the first four LPs (the CD reissues have worthy bonus tracks), can't listen to any of the live albums except for that early radio-only "Bootleg" EP, and can usually find something to like about the later albums if I'm in the mood. The Buck Dharma solo record is cool. I'm not a fan of Deborah Frost's voice, but would see The Brain Surgeons over any currently touring version of BOC (last time we saw The Brain Surgeons, they had Ross The Boss on guitar) Al Bouchard has also recently played out with his brother Joe and Dennis Dunaway as Blue Coop (heard good things, but haven't seen them myself)
Posted: May 27, 2010 5:09 am

when i saw them they had cowbell programmed into the synth.
Posted: May 27, 2010 8:12 am

When I was playing in 10-4 Backdoor in Portland or...Our bass player LESTER has Rudy Sarzo's Washmurn signature bass that wass from his Quiet Riot daze !!! it took a 9 volt baterie...AWES!!!
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 8:49 am

Smells Like Godzilla

How did Nirvana get away with it? The most hyped up song of the nineties was nothing more than a speeded up version of Gozilla. Subconscious ripoff from Cobain's drug addled mind? Grohl and Novoselic should be paying BOC royalties and thanking them for their success.
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 2:49 pm

Posted: Jun 5, 2010 3:17 pm

Awesome! At least they did have a sense of humor about it all.
Posted: Jun 5, 2010 3:27 pm

While we're naming songs that sound like teen spirit but smell like Godzilla...

The Front-Sunshine Girl, same basic chord progression, predated Smells Like Teen Spirit by a couple of years.

Posted: Jul 6, 2010 4:45 pm

They're playing the Delta Fair in Memphis this year.

Stoked.
Posted: Jul 6, 2010 7:53 pm

Gonna see them July 24 ..
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:24 pm

Rudy Sarzo's Washmurn signature bass that wass from his Quiet Riot daze !!! it took a 9 volt baterie...AWES!!!

Awww yeah. Rudy Sarzo. I'd seen him dragging the bottom end for Whitesnake. Opening for Motley Crue back in July of 87 on their Girls, Girls, Girls tour.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:49 pm

dragging the bottom end for Whitesnake.

That sounds like some sort of euphemism for "taking one for the team".
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:50 pm

Or getting fucked in the ass for a line of coke.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 2:51 pm

Yeah. When I wrote that sentence, I was hoping somebody would make a fag joke.
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 5:30 pm

How did Nirvana get away with it? The most hyped up song of the nineties was nothing more than a speeded up version of Gozilla. Subconscious ripoff from Cobain's drug addled mind? Grohl and Novoselic should be paying BOC royalties and thanking them for their success.

shit, there other big hit was the Killing Joke song "80s" slowed down

BOC RULES!

time to play Bsides
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 5:36 pm

the fire of unknown origin is a great great great album, methinks

there's stuff on the revolution by night and cultosaurus erectus that is good too
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 6:21 pm

I think Cultosaurus Erectus trumps Spectres easy. CE is a pretty solid album. Thrones did a totally sweet all bass & drum machine cover of Blackblade on a split 7" with Behead the Prophet NLSL (who did Hot Rails to Hell).
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 6:24 pm

cities on flame

stairway to the stars

on merv griffin

part 2

on the disco duck show

oooh don kirschner special appearance

new wave in full effect

veteran of the music video wars

I said no wire hangers

featuring street sax

Mad Max shreds

someone's got a future in making movies
Posted: Jul 7, 2010 11:06 pm

the fire of unknown origin is a great great great album, methinks

Yeah a lot of people hail their first three albums but I tend to go more for mid-era stuff like that album and Cultosaurus Erectus and Mirrors. They really were a great band back in the day. Glad I got to see them when they were at their best.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®