Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / 45s with holes drilled into them....
Posted: May 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Can you really classify a 45 with a hole drilled through it "Mint" or "Mint-", especially when that fact is not mentioned?
Posted: May 12, 2010 1:49 pm | Edited by: The Driver

personally, no - especially when that fact is not mentioned
Posted: May 12, 2010 1:52 pm

it depends whether or not you are a flea-bay conniving sack of shit...

"visually graded" is bullshit anyway.
Posted: May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Huh. I just got an ebay 45 w/ unmentioned drill hole. It was graded VG, though, and I only paid $1.99.
Posted: May 12, 2010 2:23 pm

where's the hole drilled....I've got tons of those with the hole drilled right smack dab in the middle...ain't that typical?

if not someone's got a lot of 'splainin to do
Posted: May 12, 2010 3:29 pm

technically no, it's not mint. And yes, it should be noted. However, there are cut-outs that were never played or even removed from their sleeves that have cut-out holes, so it could be very clean otherwise. The playing surface could be close to mint. The real problem here though is this, Any puncture of the plastic after the record was originally pressed has the potential to turn into a crack somewhere down the line. For this reason, I will not pay the same money for a cut-out that I would pay for a stock copy. I also would not pay the same for a promo or a styrene copy. Styrene... the devil's plastic.
Posted: May 12, 2010 4:09 pm

"visually graded" is bullshit anyway.
Amen. Last year I bought a copy of the "Ode To Billy Joe" LP. It was visually graded NM . Indeed the vinyl was very glossy and no real scratches . When I played it , it sounded like bacon frying.
Posted: May 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Last year I bought a copy of the "Ode To Billy Joe" LP. It was visually graded NM . Indeed the vinyl was very glossy and no real scratches . When I played it , it sounded like bacon frying.

Pass the biscuits please...
Posted: May 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Styrene... the devil's plastic.

There's a t-shirt, or at least a button. Last weekend I had a copy of Pat Lewis' I'll Wait snap in half as I was wiping some crud off it...
Posted: May 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Styrene sounds even worse after a kid has played the hell out of it. All high end distortion and sizzle, even when they're clean. Whoever did that Guiloteens comp a few years back obviously transfered from styrene copies. It sounds like shit except the Columbia singles. Same goes for the Breakers 45. Pretty much everything on MALA is styrene. Every promo, and most stock copies, on SMASH/ Mercury from 64 up are styrene. I have since discovered that the Canadian pressings of the Guiloteens HBR singles are on vinyl and now I have them all as Canadian pressings. They're a lot more fun to listen to.
Posted: May 12, 2010 7:40 pm

eeeehhh...I have styrene 45s that have been played so many times they are grey and sound awesome. On the other hand, you can have mint Vinyl Atlantic 45s from the mid-sixties era that sound like bacon frying at the beach...no absolutes in 45 quality...
Posted: May 12, 2010 9:24 pm

There are some styrene records that defy it's common traits. This is due to the mastering levels. The styrene records that sound the best are not mastered very hot. On vinyl this would be fine but styrene shreds the high frequencies. R&B singles tend to fair better than rock singles because theres more bass. As for those mid sixties Atlantic 45's... quality definitely varied from pressing plant to pressing plant. The best pressings in the late 50's-mid 60's to my ears was RCA. All the small label 45's I own that are RCA custom pressings sound awesome.
Posted: May 13, 2010 12:52 pm

The guy apologized and asked me to name the compensation.....he does normally list this defect, so I just asked that in the future he make sure he listed this fact in his descriptions....
Posted: May 13, 2010 11:18 pm

I use a hole saw to drill out "modern" 45's to fit in my juke box. Apparently I've disfigured some real collectors items. But I don't give a damn! I'd rather have a nice selection on my 70's pizza hut juke box.
Posted: May 14, 2010 12:07 am

I think that's awesome James! I love hole saws, except when your drilling into the ceiling and it takes you for a ride. Ouch!
Posted: May 14, 2010 3:26 am

^ Hold on loosely.
Posted: May 14, 2010 4:58 am

i think records with extra holes in them sound awesome. if they dont already have a bunch of holes i throw the fucker on the drill press and make a bunch more.
Posted: May 14, 2010 12:42 pm

i've had 45s that have holes in 'em not b/c they're "cut out" but to work in certain kinds of jukeboxes
Posted: May 14, 2010 4:40 pm

yeah, I made a little jig for my drill press so I don't hurt the wax.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®