Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / Murder City Devils?
Posted: May 5, 2010 2:30 pm

They just sold out two big shows here in advance, never knew they were that popular, always seemed kinda generic to me ... any Goners got opinions?
Posted: May 5, 2010 2:37 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

music is blah. fun buncha kids to hit the gay bars with, however. Well, I guess they're not kids anymore. I'd still party with 'em at the Sea Wolf, tho.

I underestimated they're popularity myself a few years ago, I put a buy it now of $10 for a set of 6 pins of theirs. It was gone in no time, shoulda done straight auction on it.
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:32 pm

Boring!
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:54 pm

terrible
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:56 pm

I saw them at the Las Vegas Shakedown about 10 years ago, and I thought they were really great - I was sure the lead singer was going to leave little bits of his throat on stage - some of the most intense screaming I've ever heard.

Then I saw 'em again a few years later at Emo's in Austin and it was kinda...eh.
Posted: May 5, 2010 10:56 pm

they were always ...eh....
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:14 pm

pretty boring for me. i can see how a certain crowd would love it which i guess maybe management took care of. hell, what do i know?
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:28 pm

i think of them as the connector to "real " sub pop and the later major label version. pretty good rock band, but not .....
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:28 pm

no boner.
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:51 pm

never heard them, are they HIGH ENERGY RAWK-N-ROLL!
If so, they probably suck balls.
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:11 am

never heard them, are they HIGH ENERGY RAWK-N-ROLL!
If so, they probably suck balls.

They are totally gay. Put this lame thread to bed, already. Let us talk about how great the Chosen Few from Australia are. TAOIGA! I never saw em live. Give me a time machine, and I know it would be the best live shit ever. Talk about the best screams . Fuck the Gay Ass Murder City Devils. They are a festering sore resting on humanity. I want my 8 dollars back, and I want them to be erased from existence. Yeah their records sound great ricocheting off tree trunks. DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:57 am

LORDS OF ALTAMONT are playing in my hometown next Sunday. I don't intend to go 'cuz I suppose they are similar to the Murder City Devils and I HATE BIKERS!
Posted: May 6, 2010 1:32 am

murder city devils are waaaay better than the lords of altamont

that's not really saying much though
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:11 am

I owned one record of theirs, about ten years ago. bought it on the strength of one song. found the rest boring.

saw them live, still boring. but they managed to capture the enthusiasm of the ~10 gutter punks in town who ate that shit up.

recommended for: dudes who convert denim jackets into vests.
Posted: May 6, 2010 8:24 am

I don't think it means shit when bands sell out shows....in my town if a band sells out a show it means one of the opening bands had allot of friends in high school.

I saw the Murder City Devils a few times...I remember thinking how traditional they were because they made the girl play keyboards.
Posted: May 6, 2010 9:27 am

never heard 'em. never wanted to.
Posted: May 6, 2010 9:33 am

they were always ...eh....

I believe the word you are searching for is "meh".

I believe the word I am searching for is "shitty".
Posted: May 6, 2010 10:43 am

I don't think it means shit when bands sell out shows....in my town if a band sells out a show it means one of the opening bands had allot of friends in high school.

Yeah, this confuses a lot of local bands into thinking they are "a good band."

It's sad they are so confused.
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:16 pm

I saw those guys from pretty much their beginning & never really cared for them ... a friend gave me a free ticket (surprised how many of them were floating around) for their reunion show here ... completely bored by 3 songs in, as was most of the people around me. They even came out for an unrequested encore.
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:57 pm

I must reiterate how much I loathe this band. Every dick-suck I knew in high school had a firme for them and it took years for everyone to figure out what a load of complete SHIT that band was/is. Their live shows were never good, their albums are awful and their fans are even worse. MCD? I spit on them!
Posted: May 6, 2010 1:08 pm

I must reiterate how much I loathe this band. Every dick-suck I knew in high school had a firme for them and it took years for everyone to figure out what a load of complete SHIT that band was/is. Their live shows were never good, their albums are awful and their fans are even worse. MCD? I spit on them!

Very well put son.
Posted: May 6, 2010 1:13 pm

unrequested encore

perfect.
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:29 pm

Never cared for MCD but...

Cody Willis is a rad bro. Currently drumming for The Melvins and Big Business.

He told me a story once where MCD was playing The Viper Room with Nashville Pussy. Both bands were hanging out in the green room when Gene Simmons walked in, made a beeline for Corey from NP, and told her she was going to have sex with him that night.

At the time she was sitting with her parents.
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:36 pm

Dale don't drum for the Melvins no longer?
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:43 pm

i watched a vid --- seems like one of those thrash bands that cross over and now appeal to the jock set ---- isn't that why Kurt killed himself?
cheers all.
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:52 pm

Dale don't drum for the Melvins no longer?

Melvins do a double drummer and double bassist deal nowadays

pretty good
Posted: May 6, 2010 4:02 pm

Melvins do a double drummer and double bassist deal nowadays

pretty good

true. one of the bass players is Jered of Big Business, Tight Bro's, Karp etc...
Posted: May 6, 2010 4:16 pm

Well, I stopped following them after Lukin left. (Pinky upraised, looking down at you over my reading glasses, ascot nonplussed)
Posted: May 6, 2010 4:41 pm | Edited by: roche

Gene Simmons walked in, made a beeline for Corey from NP, and told her she was going to have sex with him that night. At the time she was sitting with her parents.

I heard that story FROM Corey Parks!

Re: MCD's - I recall my friend (who was a program manager for a university radio station at the time) telling me he had heard some story that the whole origin of the MCD's 'popularity' stemmed from some inside Sub-Pop bet that they could 'take this band & make them the biggest rock'n'roll band ever' ... whether or not that was ever true, it was just one more reason not to like them.

Lookin' forward ro catching both Big Business & The Melvins @ Sled Island this year!
Posted: May 6, 2010 5:08 pm

MDC!
Posted: May 6, 2010 5:09 pm

I liked Death Wish Kids (pre-murder city devils)
Posted: May 6, 2010 9:19 pm

whatever, mdc used to be a pretty rad band at the time (late 90's or whatever?). i went back to listen to their stuff semi-recently and was sort of surprised at how uninspiring it is in hindsight. at the time, though, i thought those records were really good, though. saw them play a show small show with no stage in santa cruz way back that was so crowded the band all had to stand on top of their amps through the whole set because the kids were pressed up all around them up to and behind the drummer. they always had a ton of energy when they played - never saw a boring show of theirs.

if you never heard Area 51, check them out - some of the doods' band before mcd - the whole band was based around that movie "over the edge." i sold one of their old 7"s for the anna ives benefit - it only went for like $25 which sort of surprised me...
Posted: May 6, 2010 9:34 pm

Never liked them, but remember their shows always being packed. Being on Sub Pop and having a street team of college interns really did help back then. not sure how it works these days.
Posted: May 6, 2010 9:57 pm

Being on Sub Pop and having a street team of college interns

i think the whole "street team" thing is pretty stupid, but isn't that sort of a new-ish thing - like a product of the last 5 years or so? i don't remember even hearing that term before then (with the exception of mainstream radio stations driving around passing out t-shirts and bumper stickers). maybe i'm wrong, but from what i remember, the band got as big as they did because they toured like crazy and wrote a ton of anthem-type songs that people could sing along to.
Posted: May 6, 2010 10:23 pm

all I know is I worked in college radio from 1999-2002, and bands like murder city devils, black halos, black rebel motorcycle club, etc. were inexplicably popular. street team or not, I always attributed it to their labels putting forth the extra $$$ to get the word out. sub pop, matador, and the rest of the big budget indie labels would spend thousands of dollars sending out CDs, posters, t-shirts, etc. and then pay people to flyer for their shows and payola the local weeklies for blurbs. It made a huge difference. I kinda wonder if anyone does that anymore or if it's all myspace and facebook promo these days.
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:03 am

i thought they were a lot of fun. and my denim jacket still has both sleeves intact.

this thread reminds me of this super tardo flick. wish i had a copy of the spanish version. it's probably much better if you can't understand the dialogue.

"when you wake up, tell your little straightedge friends the war is on!!!"
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:50 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

I always just figured they were a questionable band that came along during a questionable time in music. I mean I remember things being really stuffy after Sub Pop bands like Delta 72 and Zen Guerilla started to slow down...that's why they offered up "Rock Revival acts" that paved the way for the art garage boom.....

I mean never mind the indie-rock pretensions...if you went to a Murder City Devils show, it was like people didn't know if they should head bang, dance, mosh, and most everybody was just standing around looking glum.

bad Times, bad Memories.
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:51 am

Sub Pop bands like Delta 72 and Zen Guerilla

this just does not compute
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:57 am

But I agree with Martel, it sounds cynical but here in the U.S. success outside of any "scene" is all about financial backing. That's what it takes just to legitimize yourself with mainstream fans.
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:58 am

How doesn't it compute? Because they were arguably boring in their own right?
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:02 am

i just don't associate either of them with sub pop, delta 72 touch and go and zen alternative tenticles
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:05 am

They both had shit come out on Sub Pop.

Just like MCD had other shit come out on labels besides Sub Pop....that's how I remember it anyways.
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:09 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

I mean all three of those labels answered at least partially to the same parent corporation (Sony or somebody) by that time anyways.
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:10 am

this is delta 72 discography(granted it's from wiki so could be wrong)
1994 Self Published Cassette Tapes Sold on Tour
1995 On the Rocks 7" - (Kill Rock Stars/Dischord)
1996 Rich Girls.../Cinderella 7" - (Touch & Go)
1997 The R&B of Membership LP/CD - (T&G)
1997 The Soul of a New Machine LP/CD - (T&G)
1999 Sorega Doushita EP - (T&G)
2000 000 LP/CD - (T&G)
2000 The Doctor Is In 7" - (T&G)

here's zen
Zen Guerrilla - Compulsiv 1992
Invisible "Liftee" Pad / Gap-Tooth Clown - Alternative Tentacles 1997
Positronic Raygun - Alternative Tentacles 1998
Trance States in Tongues - Sub Pop 1999
Shadows on the Sun - Sub Pop 2001
Heavy Mellow - Flapping Jet 2002 (LP picture disc)

so yes zen had later stuff on sub pop
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:11 am

Oh excuuuuusssseeee me!
Posted: May 7, 2010 11:21 am

betty page wannabes in melbourne (and there was a slurry of them back then) would always hit the dance floor to that "boom chaka boom" song. i figured that was why dudes liked them.
Posted: May 7, 2010 11:43 am

Everyone's so SERIOUS!

I think I saw MCD's very first Portland show, at La Luna opening for Satan's Pilgrim's in, like, 1996 or 97, and that shit was fun. They were never supposed to be an "important band," and their records quickly started going downhill, but for a couple of years, they were a great band to see live. Nothing really more or less. Fans do suck though... Jean vest comment is spot on!

I'm also a little suspicious of the claim that SubPop had all this money to throw around. As far as I remember, those dudes were CONSTANTLY on tour. I mean, it sort of reminds me of the Dirtbombs. ITR certainly doesn't have a ton of money, but the last DB's show I went to was full of "mainstream-looking" people.

But, WHO CARES?
Posted: May 7, 2010 11:47 am

Posted: May 7, 2010 12:15 pm

been to a King Khan show lately? "Vice" has replaced "Sub Pop". that crowd all shops at the same mall.

I miss Zen Guerrilla ... I saw the bass player was playing around SF, but dunno about any of the rest of the band.
Posted: May 7, 2010 12:17 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

I like Zen Guerilla also....but I'll always just like what I like.

Sub Pop reissued Radio Birdman around that time too....
Posted: May 7, 2010 12:29 pm

Funny to see this thread now. I never payed much attention to MCD at the time, but one of their songs came on internet radio while I was at work the other day and I was like, "Wait, I know this. Who the fuck is this?" It was MCD and I was actually getting into it. Went back and listened to their records and dug it. I only owned one jean jacket and it was when I was in 3rd grade; it had both sleeves.
Posted: May 7, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks. Because of this thread, I had a dream about a Murder City Devils reunion last night. The band wasn't nearly as emo as they used to be - none of that stupid jumping around. The singer was just as drunk as always though.
Posted: May 7, 2010 5:41 pm

was this one of the bands that used to light their keyboard or other instruments on fire? that was always a cheap gimmick that got shitty bands noticed.
Posted: May 7, 2010 6:37 pm

shitty bands noticed

Jimi Hendrix? maybe it's a Pacific NW thing....
Posted: May 7, 2010 7:07 pm

was this one of the bands that used to light their keyboard or other instruments on fire?

Lords of Altamont definitely did that
Posted: May 7, 2010 7:58 pm

light their keyboard or other instruments on fire

bomboras
Posted: May 7, 2010 8:22 pm

BINGO!!!!
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:17 pm

cheap gimmick that got shitty bands noticed.
Bay Area for the last twenty years?...
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:01 pm

played with faggot city faggots once.

they sucked so bad we jumped onstage and drunkenly tried to beat their asses while they were playing their set.

I think they tried to keep playing after the tussle but by then everyone had left.
Posted: May 8, 2010 3:06 am

was this one of the bands that used to light their keyboard or other instruments on fire?

you may be thinking of Knuckle Drager!

I think they even opened for MCD the time I saw 'em-- some odd room in Union South, Madison WI. shit, was that really ten years ago?
Posted: May 8, 2010 4:17 am

was this one of the bands that used to light their keyboard or other instruments on fire? that was always a cheap gimmick that got shitty bands noticed.

Nope, but the keyboard player chainsmoked like you would not believe and was super hotttt!
Posted: May 9, 2010 12:33 pm

bands like murder city devils, black halos, black rebel motorcycle club

Those bands seemed interchangeable to me as well.
Posted: May 9, 2010 2:08 pm

Arman,
thats the same guy in that photo. Lords of Altamont was ex Bomboras dudes.
Posted: May 10, 2010 1:08 am

Holy Shit! Went to see THE LORDS OF ALTAMONT last night and it was a blast! No poser bullshit but hi-octane r&r action like The Joneses etc. They had brought along 2 professional go-go dancers from L.A. and man, it was absolutely thrilling to see these beautiful girls go wild & crazy!!! Lovely girls, supernice dudes! To hell with my prejudices: LORDS OF ALTAMONT are the kings of L.A. sleaze!!!
Posted: May 10, 2010 1:19 am

hahahahahaha
Posted: May 10, 2010 1:35 am

Posted: May 10, 2010 2:10 am

Murder City = terrible
Zen Guerilla = terriffic
Posted: May 10, 2010 9:48 am

I confess, I used to be into MCD in younger times, until I eventually realized that they were full of shit. It's funny how many songs they have about being ON THE ROAD....AWAY FROM HOME....and how HARD it is....basically romanticizing being on tour and comparing themselves to sailors and truckers. It's like, DUDE: Maybe if you didn't write so many crappy songs about being on tour, you wouldn't actually have to GO on tour!
Posted: May 10, 2010 10:22 am

Zen Guerilla = terriffic
seconded!..fucking great live..
Posted: May 10, 2010 11:23 am

Posted: May 10, 2010 11:27 am

Nope, but the keyboard player chainsmoked like you would not believe and was super hotttt!

Oh yes they do! proof: http://joshreisner.com/tag/murder-city-devils/
Posted: May 10, 2010 12:45 pm

seconded!..fucking great live..

agreed --- it was Marcus' mic set-up that made it a live sound ...
Posted: May 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Oh yes they do! proof:

Well I'll be damned! Was Wayne Spits at that show?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®