Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / savoy truffle.
Posted: May 4, 2010 7:56 pm

Best song on the white album.
Posted: May 4, 2010 8:37 pm

Helter Skelter or Happiness Is a Warm Gun would get my vote.
Posted: May 4, 2010 8:55 pm

dear prudence
Posted: May 4, 2010 9:05 pm

let me roll it...

oh wait, that was a better band.
Posted: May 4, 2010 9:12 pm

man, I just posted that song on FB after seeing it briefly in some thread on here.
I love the white album. By far my favorite Beatles album. That shit was so great and trippy.
Posted: May 4, 2010 9:17 pm

I love the white album. By far my favorite Beatles album.

dig this cool cover:

i got two copies if anyone wants to trade for something good.
Posted: May 4, 2010 9:45 pm

Lena Horne!!
Posted: May 4, 2010 10:39 pm

Since age 16, I've bought The White Album at least 9 times in various forms. I'll go with Blackbird.

When I saw Sgt. Pepper as the #1 album out of 500 in the Rolling Stone list, I was offended.
Posted: May 4, 2010 10:40 pm

I'll go with Blackbird

Make that While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Posted: May 4, 2010 11:06 pm

Rocky Raccoon.
Posted: May 4, 2010 11:51 pm

Make that While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Agreed. I just begrudgingly admit that because we've been beaten to death with it on classic rock radio.
Posted: May 4, 2010 11:56 pm

You could make the case that in the end, George wrote the best Beatles songs.
Posted: May 5, 2010 1:10 am

glass onion
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:12 am

you could make it but you wld lose it: he wrote, i think, 3 songs on the first ten lp's. unless you hate the lp's help and for sale, for example, and if so, then you could try to make that case too
Posted: May 5, 2010 8:10 am

Terry manning's cover of "savoy truffle" from his enterprise LP is super cool! I just got a mono British copy of the White Album last year and it definitely changed my perspective about what the best songs are.
Posted: May 5, 2010 8:20 am

I just got a mono British copy of the White Album

awesome.
Posted: May 5, 2010 9:20 am

You'd be wrong. George wrote some great ones, but let's not kid ourselves. Its one thing to root for the "underdog" or whatever, its another thing to disparage Lennon/McCartney as songwriters.

My vote: Cry Baby Cry
Posted: May 5, 2010 9:30 am

Terry manning's cover of "savoy truffle" from his enterprise LP is super cool!
Richard Rosebrough played on that one too...he sounded sooo good at the Alex tribute at Nocturnal Saturday night
Posted: May 5, 2010 10:15 am

Terry manning's cover of "savoy truffle" from his enterprise LP is super cool!

- just played that for some friends on the weekend, along with a Cargoe 45, trying to give them some context for "Big Star". Wasn't there some tall-tale told about a mysterious reel of tape with Beatles songs on it, found somewhere before the record had been released?
Posted: May 5, 2010 10:25 am

along with a Cargoe 45

Is it "Feel Alright"?
We play that song in The Everyday Parade and will probably put it on the next record...it smokes
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:48 am

i've had the mono white for a while--it's indeed better and punches up some of the drearier moments (it's not close to my fave beatles lp); the mono mid period ones were where the lp's really sounded diff--more organic, more incendiary, more adventuresome. help, RS. amazing stuff.
Posted: May 5, 2010 12:41 pm

Is it "Feel Alright"?
We play that song in The Everyday Parade and will probably put it on the next record...it smokes

Yup, "Feel Alright". That is indeed one smoking track. For my money, it is the great lost shoulda been a hit record of that time and place. I look forward to hearing your version.
Posted: May 5, 2010 12:45 pm

My vote: Cry Baby Cry

Yes. Also I'm So Tired.
Posted: May 5, 2010 1:55 pm

I look forward to hearing your version.

Live

it's unedited but you get the idea
Posted: May 5, 2010 3:11 pm

Tomorrow never knows. Hands down. Just read about the process of the recording at sixelsix's place. Originally promoted as "the void"
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:12 pm

love the guitar sound on savoy truffle.
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:33 pm

it's unedited but you get the idea

yup, you nailed it.
Posted: May 5, 2010 8:37 pm

Dont pass me bye..fergot that one.
Posted: May 5, 2010 11:15 pm

It's hard to pick a favorite out of the 30 songs on this album but I'd definitely put Savoy Truffle near the top. Happiness Is A Warm Gun might be my fave, though.

Whatta great album.
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:32 am

I've been really diggin the Meatmen, lately.
Posted: May 6, 2010 6:59 am

Posted: May 6, 2010 12:14 pm

Tomorrow never knows. Hands down. Just read about the process of the recording at sixelsix's place. Originally promoted as "the void"

Good track, wrong album.

I've always been a fan of I'm So Tired.
Posted: May 6, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm so tired is great. Mother Nature's Son is one of Paul's best acoustic ballads. Lot's of nice twists and turns in the melody.
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:37 pm

I listened to my kid's CD copy last night. the variety and incredible engineering is so great. "Me & My Monkey" and its incredible break is up there altho the ballads are awfully hard to resist.

but I gotta say, the digital re-mastering on those CDs REALLY SUCKS!!!

would like to hear the mono box, but who's got that kind of $???
Posted: May 6, 2010 4:16 pm

but I gotta say, the digital re-mastering on those CDs REALLY SUCKS!!!

I bought Revolver and A Hard Days Night and I ain't buying no more...it's just louder...I think they just made the remasters for ipod people...my albums still sound better than all of it
Posted: May 7, 2010 10:10 am

Good track, wrong album.
Jus' sayin...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®