Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / latest batch of in the red records
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 8:39 am

latest batch of cool shit from in the red arrived on my porch yesterday.

wounded lion is really good. less fucked/ psych than their itr single, but great songs and random bursts of noise are keeping me interested.

thee oh sees "warm slime" is great. side one is one long song. side two has a bout 6 songs and they're all rockin' happy-psych like they always do. i love their sound, songs and especially the vocals. not as good as "help" (what is?) but better than "master's bedroom." the vinyl itself is about the sweetest i've ever seen. clear with layered/ 3-D orange splashes in it. how'd they do that???

haunted george "american crow" is fucking awesome. you knew i'd say that though. i love his obsession with the occult and horror, but he's the only person i know of that can deliver these themes, in a rock'n'roll context, without being corny, and only because i know he lives it. the music itself is exciting. plenty of effects & monty buckles drops some random tasty synth licks and the production and playing is super clean. h.g.'s voice/ delivery/ phrasing is fucking superb, as always.
Posted: May 1, 2010 2:06 pm

Save if for your zine geek.....
:-)
Posted: May 1, 2010 2:24 pm

it'll be too late by then!

shit, every review in it is gonna be for da oop wax.
Posted: May 1, 2010 4:14 pm

this zine is gonna be the size of a phone book by the time it comes out!
Posted: May 1, 2010 4:46 pm | Edited by: Janderass

That would be a good thing. OOBA!
Posted: May 1, 2010 4:59 pm

well, at least the black gladiator shit is almost out.
Posted: May 1, 2010 5:17 pm

lets face it, you're no bradx
Posted: May 1, 2010 5:20 pm

Order placed. Thanks for the heads up on the 3-D Slime.
Posted: May 1, 2010 5:52 pm

it's so cool looking! never seen a record like it before, but then again i ain't no real collector.
Posted: May 1, 2010 8:38 pm

Related to In the Red, at least.
today I was driving around, lost, in Detroit.
I stopped in front of a house and asked a dude in the front yard for some directions.
Out walks Alex White! no joke. outta all the shit-holes in Detroit. She is in town for a show.
--Alex wasn't much help with directions, but quite nice.
Posted: May 1, 2010 10:23 pm

that's fucking crazy! did you say, "hey! you're alex white!" and she was all, "yeah, how do you know me?" and you were like, "cuz i'm a fucking GONER, dude!" and she was all, "come in, let's party!" and you were like, "i'm trying to get somewhere." is that what happened? that's some weird shit, brah.
Posted: May 1, 2010 10:52 pm | Edited by: Rich Balls

Yeah! pretty much. She asked us to come out to the show, and I wanted to. But I had to hang up flyers for my Wreckless Eric show, blow money on records, and head back to Lansing.
Alex rules though! I'll check out her next MI show.
Posted: May 2, 2010 1:50 am

lame. i woulda partied with alex
Posted: May 2, 2010 10:16 am

Alex rules. She's the nicest and has a very nice smile.
Posted: May 2, 2010 12:06 pm

in a perfect world she would be a star.
Posted: May 2, 2010 12:30 pm

Alex rules.

Wasn't she playing a Mexican Restaurant? Brilliant.

Rich - when and where is your Wreckless Eric show?
Posted: May 2, 2010 2:17 pm

Yeah, she said the venue, and I had never heard of it, so it likely was the Mexican joint! Her brother seemed like a nice dude as well.

Also,
Wreckless Eric & Amy Show is:
Thursday, June 24, 2010
@ Majestic Cafe (Detroit)
info here:
http://majesticdetroit.com/2010/03/16/wreckless-eric-amy/

w/
Dan Kroha!

Veloura Caywood
http://www.myspace.com/missvelouracaywood
Posted: May 5, 2010 12:37 pm | Edited by: Janderass

Rad vinyl! Thanks Larry!

Time to get stoned and listen to a new OCS album!!!

(Whoops! Wrong speed!)
Posted: May 5, 2010 12:40 pm

She's the nicest and has a very nice smile.
This sounds vaguely like a backhanded compliment.
Posted: May 5, 2010 1:47 pm

not intended to be!
Posted: May 5, 2010 1:56 pm

alex is exactly 10 years and 1 day younger than me. FACT!
Posted: May 5, 2010 3:07 pm | Edited by: cococomas

-Oh Sees rec is really great, but I'm already a huge fan - REALLY cool looking vinyl too (clear w/orange splatter - whoah!) dunno if I agree w/Bazook - none of their LPs have lived up to Master Bedroom yet, but this gets close... they're on the cusp of doing something different again - interested to see where they go next...
-Wounded Lion record is awesome (got the cd from the band at SXSW, so we've been listening to it for a while now)... single on Trouble In Mind coming in Sept!
-Didn't get Haunted George for some reason - that last EP just didn't do it for me... [u]LOVE[/u] the 1st two records though...
Posted: May 5, 2010 3:29 pm

Wounded Lion- wanted to like it because I usually like any Monty related stuff. I don't like the Talking Heads.

Haunted George- Rules. Aliases of Haunted George!
Posted: May 5, 2010 3:55 pm | Edited by: cococomas

Wounded Lion- wanted to like it because I usually like any Monty related stuff. I don't like the Talking Heads.

diffr'nt strokes, I guess!

maybe I'll pick up the Haunted George... hmmm....
Posted: May 5, 2010 4:46 pm

Aliases of Haunted George!

best song! that beat is scary.
Posted: May 5, 2010 5:04 pm

Has Larry started giving mp3 download codes with the records yet?
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:04 pm

No. Wish he would, wanted to plug in and play some ITR records at the bar today.
Posted: May 5, 2010 6:46 pm

just got the new stuff! oh sees is good... haunted george is TUFF!
Posted: May 5, 2010 7:01 pm

Has Larry started giving mp3 download codes with the records yet?

No. Wish he would

he sure has! two of these three recs come with download cards. i think a few older releases did too.
Posted: May 5, 2010 7:58 pm

I guess that's right, I did get them with my last couple orders, I think.

Didn't get one with my OCS record or my t-shirt this time!
Posted: May 6, 2010 1:02 pm

Didn't get Haunted George for some reason - that last EP just didn't do it for me...
ditto!
So tell me more about the new one!
Posted: May 6, 2010 1:23 pm

he sure has! two of these three recs come with download cards. i think a few older releases did too.
Really! That's great. I'm too lazy to convert my vinyl to mp3, but I like to listen to music in the car.
Posted: May 6, 2010 2:48 pm

WANT that Haunted George! What EP are we trashing? I think I've got most everything and it's all been killer.
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:06 pm

That last ITR internet only EP - wasn't trashing it - just didn't stick w/me like the first two LPs did... that's all I'm sayin'! GEEZ people!
Posted: May 6, 2010 5:22 pm

new one is good ol' cactus head GEORGE!
Posted: May 6, 2010 5:42 pm

the lp is as good or better than the other lps. severely loud and evil as fuck. songs out the asshole, too.

the e.p. wasn't stellar, but if you're a die hard fan it's a must.
Posted: May 7, 2010 7:39 am

the e.p. wasn't stellar
agree...

bit the bullet and ordered American Crow
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:19 am

John Dwyer is my hero.
Posted: May 7, 2010 9:33 am

bud dwyer is mine.

john's great too, though.
Posted: May 9, 2010 11:23 am

'Carol Cloud' by Wounded Lion may well be the best song I've heard all year. That is one killer of an LP!
Posted: May 9, 2010 2:16 pm

I just can't get into Oh Sees. I've liked Dwyer's other bands, but Oh Sees vocals drive me up the wall, especially the girl. I listen to all their records when they get to the store and the only one i can stand is the stuff that almost sounds like John Fahey when it was basically a bedroom band. Even when I saw them live I had to leave the room.
Posted: May 10, 2010 11:17 am

wounded lion = dagobah system

country teasers = empire strikes back

modus operandi?
Posted: May 12, 2010 3:37 pm

the haunted George is really good
and that Oh Sees lp is splatteriffic indeed...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®