Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / DIRTBOMBS 2010
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:14 am

i hear they're recording a new album of all early detroit "techno" songs. this is the first dirtbombs record i've been excited to hear since their 1st!

some of the songs they're covering:

this one i like-

meh-

and this one is miserable-

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:31 am

Do you have any of Mick's own techno shit? Hasn't he always been into that stuff?
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:39 am

are you talking about this release?

DIRTBOMBS Race To The Bottom (Cass) 1-sided 12" with one "song". 23 minutes of synthesizer noise. Pressing of 500 copies - what a waste of vinyl..... LP 11.90

(from the Crypt Records website)
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:43 am

according to the interview they did with ScionAV (you'll have to scroll down for the link), the next album is the bubblegum album. The techno songs are just going to be a few, not a whole album.
But this could all be wrong, since that same weekend Mick told me that he doubted that The Gories would do anymore shows.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 8:43 am

no, i'm talking abouht a new album. didn't you read what i wrote?

but that was pretty goddamn funny... what a waste of vinyl
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 9:21 am

Now they're just fucking with their fans
http://eatthiscity.com/?p=7151
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 9:23 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

I thought ever album from 2000 on has been the "bubblegum album"....

I'm talkin that I always heard that he's been into techno like as long as he's been into computers.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 9:26 am | Edited by: Beer Joint

read that link: vomit
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 10:16 am

I'm talkin that I always heard that he's been into techno like as long as he's been into computers.

I know he's collaborated with Moodymann, then there's that 45 with Adult, and I'm sure there's others. Spend any time in Detroit and it (minimal/techno) is just another part of the musical landscape. Cybotron are/were awesome. Who doesn't like those 45s?! As for Sharevari, last Saturday, we were sitting around the backyard, drinking beers in the sun, and it popped up in the middle of a mix of (mostly rockin') Detroit tunes to a (surprisingly) favorable reaction. We hit repeat and turned up the volume. Unfortunately that resulted in stereo wars with the thug wannabees shooting hoops in the alley...
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:56 am

The next Dirtbombs albums, which will hopefully be out by the end of the year, is indeed going to be all cover versions of Detroit techno songs. The vinyl will be released as a triple 12". They've recorded the basic tracks and just need to finish the overdubs and mix it. I've heard a few of the songs and it's really great. A rock n' roll band with conventional instruments playing techno songs comes off a bit like krautrock, to my ears.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Joe's link to "shari Vari" was a cover, not the real deal. The original is a killer track.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 12:18 pm

Here's the one you want:
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 12:23 pm | Edited by: greg O

Another one of my faves in this vein:
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 12:37 pm

This might be the first Dirtbombs record in a long time that sounds good to me. Hoppe and I were talking about that 12" when it came out. We agreed that maybe they were alienating their audience so they could start over from scratch. A cleansing of the palette.

Those Moroder and electro records have been sounding good up at Goner lately.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 12:59 pm | Edited by: The Driver

...maybe they were alienating their audience so they could start over from scratch. A cleansing of the palette.

Weren't the Dirtbombs, from the beginning, supposed to be all about mixing it up, genre-wise?

Greg, thanks for linking the original and far superior Sharevari. The notes mention "The Electrifying Mojo" whose importance/influence on all this cannot be overstated.

A rock n' roll band with conventional instruments playing techno songs comes off a bit like krautrock, to my ears. - as it would. This reminds me that Jeff, one of the on again/off again guitarists in Simply Saucer was/is a huge techno fan, who moved to Montreal at one point for it's dance music scene.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:06 pm

no, i'm talking abouht a new album. didn't you read what i wrote?

hey-ho-ho easy boy!!!
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:18 pm

The Dirtbombs recorded a song for me during the recording sessions for this new album a few months ago. They sound killer.
Wanna hear the new LP!
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:22 pm

"Weren't the Dirtbombs, from the beginning, supposed to be all about mixing it up, genre-wise? "

All I know is that every album someone says, "Mick told me that this one's going to be a lot more sugary and pop and that the purists will hate it."

I would like to know who these "purists" are so I can hang out with them.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:32 pm

I would like to know who these "purists" are so I can hang out with them.
go for it dude.
It does seem like you are keeping up to date with all the latest news and info.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

Well yeah, I'm a card carrying fan of The Dirtbombs going back to horndogfest dude....I still got the 7 incher where they fucked up the name with all these players I never heard of before. So yeah, I guess you could say I keep up with them.

Still "purists" sound pretty damn cool to me...where are they?
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Oh yeah...forgot to call you Bitch Ralls...because I'm feigning being drunk.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Tom Potter kind of seems like a purist...but oh yeah....
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 2:31 pm | Edited by: Beer Joint

Sorry for calling you Bich Ralls, that was just crass. I think purists may be the people who think there should only be one drumset per band.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Seconding the original Sharevari, The Scene and most of all THE ELECTRIFYING MOJO!!! Growing up in Michigan all of this stuff was gigantic. Even on us white kids way out in the sticks. So stoked they're doing these songs. Sharevari is the shit! Smoking on a cigarette....
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I was one of those kids out in the sticks. The Electrifying Mojo did a lot to warp many a mind musically. One of these days I will relocate my Midnight Funk Association membership card.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 3:00 pm

"Tonight.... on Star Wars..... Whodini vs. Run DMC....." Shit like that blew my little mind.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 3:15 pm | Edited by: greg O

"If you are lying in bed, will you smurf on your back?"
Wow, I've had that aircheck on a tape forever, I didn't know someone put it on youtube! Cool!
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Homeboy with that tiny Tiesco looking guitar dancing down the runway is so f'n amazing. Detroit rules.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Here's the one you want:

yeah, that's pretty cool, but that cybotron track is the jam!
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 11:09 pm

got a 7" of this joint in Detroit last year!
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 2:37 pm

That Sharevari rules! I have to post this video annually. VHS dolby noise addition hiss of the Percolator on The New Dance Show. The few Cybotron stuff that I have besides "Cosmic Cars" got stank all over it. Some D-Train shit.
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 9:05 pm

i love this. but then again, i love love love love old detroit techno/electro. and share vari rules. i have a shitload of detroit minimal and electro from back in the day when i tried to dj the stuff (alas i couldn't beatmatch to save my life, so i gave up on that, but still like to listen to the stuff.)

dirtbombs did this techno covers thing before. dirtbombs did a split with adult. (who do electro type of stuff) several years back, covering each others' songs (they covered "lost love" which was one of my favorite adult. tracks ever and adult. covered "pray for pills".)
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 11:28 pm

How many "New Dance Shows" did Detroit have in the 80s?
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 11:30 pm

That Sharevari rules! I have to post this video annually. VHS dolby noise addition hiss of the Percolator on The New Dance Show.

I think I saw Jackie Joyner-Kersee in that video.
Posted: May 1, 2010 8:17 am

Dirtbombs have always and will always suck
Posted: May 1, 2010 11:48 am

Dirtbombs have always and will always suck

nah, they're still good. opened for an early line up in like 97 or so and they were great then. the drummers they had were way more dynamic and played off each other rather than 2 drummers playing the same beat.
Posted: May 27, 2010 9:52 am | Edited by: The Driver

New Moody(mann) record "Ol' Dirty Vinyl" apparently features Mick Collins on one cut.
Posted: May 27, 2010 4:03 pm

I know I'm late to the Dirtbombs party, but they earned my loyalty with their cover of "Got To Give It Up".
Posted: May 27, 2010 4:09 pm

got some copies of need you tonight/devil inside coming next week
Posted: Jul 14, 2010 7:50 am

Dirtbombs cover of Cybotron's Cosmic Cars can be heard on the In The Red myspace page.
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 1:31 am

Here's the Sharevari cover

http://vimeo.com/15623513
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 7:24 am | Edited by: The Driver

Sounds great.

Gotta love how Scion A/V dropped a defensive ready to copy-and-paste one line review in the description - The spot succinctly conveys a sweaty, basement vibe with tongue firmly in cheek.
Posted: Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm

listening to that cosmic cars cover right now. dayum!

whenever people tell me they like techno, I try to put them on cybotron, but they're never really trying to hear it.

when I read that Mick liked techno, I always thought it'd be cool to hear him do a cybotron cover, cosmic cars specifically. this is too cool.
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 1:29 am

Im diehard early Dirtbombs. Nichelle Nichols!!!! killer fucker!
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 1:11 pm

This new album is one of the best Dirtbombs albums ever. The 21 minute version of Bug In The Bassbin would make Can proud!
Posted: Oct 21, 2010 7:49 am

This new album is one of the best Dirtbombs albums ever.

advance copies have hit the street?
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 9:00 am

excited for this beyond belief. what i've heard so far is great. i guess it's time to re-embarrass myself in front of mick.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 9:31 am

Detroit's errwhere on the goner board lately! The video of the Sharevari cover is AWESOME. We should have a Michigan ex-pat dance party
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 10:11 am

The video of the Sharevari cover is AWESOME.

eh, I don't know if I would go that far - one is the Dirtbombs over footage from The Scene, the other is a cruddy animation of the same footage? That's the best they could do? Yes, the vintage clip is AWESOME.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 10:29 am

shrug. don't know enough about dirtbombs video history to realize it's lifted footage. I just think that song is an undeniable dancefloor filler, no matter what.
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 10:48 am

shrug.

sorry, no dis intended

here's the original:
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:36 am

Oh yeah. That's the jam.

Speaking of Electrifying Mojo, one of the bigger booty-tech-whatever dj's (either godfather or assualt?) digitized some of their cassette tape recordings of the radio show from back in the day. Wait! I found it. It's DJ Assault:

http://www.jeffersonave.com/mixtapevault

Since I was a teen in the '90s, I was a little too young to appreciate all this shit when it was first happening, but it was still pretty awesome to be a tiny part of the scene when it started to get the attention it deserved. These threads are making me pine for the days of Zoot's, Record Time, WJLB, and WCBN. I <3 MI
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am

yeah, that must have been some scene back there - a friend that used to DJ dropped by last night, with Party Store, and it was a joy to see his excitement that Mick had put together this detailed and loving tribute

thanks for the link - there's my Sunday listening
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 2:09 pm

We should have a Michigan ex-pat dance party

you mighta missed that at the hi tone last night... in midtown, not sure they was dancin: dan/peg, tom potter, and the nuttiest nut sandy kramer shaw!
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm

i don't know any of those people! I'm still relatively a new kid in town.

The Mrs. and I wanted to go dancing so badly, especially since the last Buck Wilders event was jamtacular. But then we stuffed ourselves full of Mayuri buffet and felt compelled to finish 3rd season of Breaking Bad. argh!
Posted: Feb 13, 2011 3:17 pm

i may have danced a little too much last night. did not feel so well this morning.
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 9:03 am

I've only heard the Sharevari cover, but if the whole album is that good... new go-to late night dance party record?
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 9:40 am

i just got back from jamaica to find this lp waiting for me. i kinda think i should hold out till i get get some reefer before i listen. i mean, for a whole week i had a spliff the size of my middle finger dangling from my lips at all times. i got a few good dj gigs coming up, so i gotta study this lp proper.
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I FINALLY bought this today. I have been dancing with my cat profusely all evening.
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 1:53 am

tom potter,
thee heavy taco??
Posted: Apr 4, 2011 9:44 am

Dirtbombs' cover of "Cosmic Cars" was on NPR's Car Talk yesterday...pretty surprised when it came on!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®