Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / ???? / LP vs 45's
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 12:03 am

I've mentioned this before, but I'm new to the vinyl scene. I've been buying vinyl exclusivly for the last six months and love it.

I've always been an album guy. I was never one of those guys who would buy just one song from itunes. I think everything matters including the order of the songs on the album. When it's done right....It's awesome.

That being said, I gotta say that I'm surprised that I listen alot more to my 7" than my lps.

Take for example the new ECSR album "Ruch To Relax" and the new Missing Monuments 7". I've probably listened to the ECSR album about 10 times all the way through. I've bet I've listened to the Missing Monuments 7" about 50 times, both sides. I love them both and I have a theory.

I think that I just get more involved in the 7"s. If I'm playing an LP, I'll usually end up doing something else while listening to it. I'll play video games, read a book, whatever. If I'm listening to a 7" it takes more commitment. I'll usually sit there and listen and enjoy, and then flip it over and listen to the other side. I invest more into the songs.

I was just wondering what other people preferred.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 12:21 am

12" 45s all the way baybee.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 1:51 am

45 speed - better sound. 7"s sound better than LPs, that is a fact. SSSSSSS is correct though, 12" 45 is the ultimate format. put on replacements stink for example. way louder and clearer than any of their LPs.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 5:50 am

Tested this theory with Overnight Lows, and your both right. I had no idea.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 8:30 am

12" 45 is the ultimate format

the third black gladiator release is gonna be like this. it's only 14 minutes long. i had no choice.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am

If you want attention from distros it's got to be long players....that's why 45's rock so hard.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:17 am

45s, absolutely. Very few artists have ever been brilliant and engaging for the full length of an LP (and don't get me started on CDs the length of a double album). A single on the other hand is one polished gem, with the possibility of a hidden treasure on the flip.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:30 am

Take for example the new ECSR album "Ruch To Relax" and the new Missing Monuments 7". I've probably listened to the ECSR album about 10 times all the way through. I've bet I've listened to the Missing Monuments 7" about 50 times, both sides. I love them both and I have a theory.

I have a theory: The Missing Monuments 7" is just better.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:31 am

i have no preference. if a song i wanna hear is on an lp, then that's what i'll play. why discriminate?
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am

I do concur 12" 45 is the loudest. That's is why I parted with my very 1st viletones 7" ep and kept the Montreco 12' version with the generic punk sleeve. It's loud as a hammer from hell. Then again nothings louder that the Sonics The Witch on original 45. The Missing Monument 45 does fuckin kill, as well as the Overnight Lows 12" 45 record.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Posted: Apr 26, 2010 1:18 pm

7" singles have that collector scum cachet these days. I was at Record Store Day at Amoeba and it was a mad rush for the 7" bin when they opened. That seemed to be all anyone cared about.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 1:55 pm

possible reasons for 7"s over LP's:

-A.D.D?
-8 out of 10 songs may be stinkers? (not ECSR, per se - haven't heard that album yet)
-too much speed? (oh wait, that's Jasper, not Cole)
-A.D.H.D?
-or if you're like me, you know if you take the 45 adapter off the turntable, you'll only lose it again.

on a side note, the latest Spits LP on 45? awesome.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 1:59 pm

too much work.

EPs Rule!
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 6:44 pm

I have a theory: The Missing Monuments 7" is just better

Ouch. Your the only one to actually post it but I bet alot of people were thinking it.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm

-or if you're like me, you know if you take the 45 adapter off the turntable, you'll only lose it again.

Brilliant observation. Why do they still make 45s like that anyway? Is there a reason for that giant hole? Some don't have it.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm

big hole was for jukeboxes.

the whole reason 45's were invented.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

also if you spin them backwards, a genie comes out of the speakers and grants you 1 wish.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:07 pm

also if you spin them backwards, a genie comes out of the speakers and grants you 1 wish
And if not, there's that hole...
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 10:41 pm

i always wondered why they didn't just start using the big hole for all vinyl releases - lp's and 45's. except for the fact that you'd have less room for text on a label, it seems like it would have been pretty economical for pressing plants to save 5% or so of the vinyl used for each record.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 9:09 am

big hole was for jukeboxes.

the whole reason 45's were invented.

not really...as I understand it, RCA was trying to come up with a new format as an alternative to the 10 inch 78 and they needed some way for it to be exclusive with a small, "portable" record player they were making...so they put a huge spindle on the player and a big hole in the record, so at the time, if you wanted to buy these new, cheap records, you had to buy their record player. Then I suppose they just licensed the "big hole" manufacturing process to others, but ya still had to buy their record player to play them. Then the jukebox came on the scene...
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 9:40 am

12" 45s all the way baybee.

which is why everyone needs a copy of the new pity fucks 12"... lest they become frisbees.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 11:51 am

Ouch. Your the only one to actually post it but I bet alot of people were thinking it.

I don't know about that...I have my biases. As do we all, I guess.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 12:14 pm | Edited by: misslinda

All my Ramones singles got stolen, so I'm forced to vote for LPs.

I spent alot of time, and money on that record collection.
Now I don't give a fuck.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm

not really...as I understand it, RCA was trying to come up with a new format as an alternative to the 10 inch 78 and they needed some way for it to be exclusive with a small, "portable" record player they were making...so they put a huge spindle on the player and a big hole in the record, so at the time, if you wanted to buy these new, cheap records, you had to buy their record player. Then I suppose they just licensed the "big hole" manufacturing process to others, but ya still had to buy their record player to play them. Then the jukebox came on the scene...

source, please.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Is there a reason for that giant hole

it's because record collectors can't get dates
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Then the jukebox came on the scene...

The jukebox preceded the 45 by a long time. The really old ones played 78s.
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 2:20 pm

source, please.

"History of the RCA player

The 45 RPM record was developed by RCA Victor company in 1948 - immediately following the invention of "vinyl" plastic and the development of the 12" LP record by CBS engineers (also in 1948). The 45 RPM speed was the only one to be decided by a precise optimization procedure. The optimum use of a disc record of constant rotational speed occurs when the innermost recorded diameter is half of the outermost recorded diameter.

To market their format against the currently "reigning" 78 RPM, RCA released a series very low priced 45 RPM only players in the late 1940's and early 1950's. Some of the 45 rpm players pictured above were sold in the early 1950s and were equipped with a ceramic cartridge and an "RCA" jack - also "invented" at the time! Some of the models above did not include an amplifier or speaker but were meant to be plugged into the corresponding female RCA jack on an RCA radio or TV - and use that product's amplifier and speaker. There were two types of changers produced, A fast change cycle and a slow change cycle. The fast change model would drop a new record and set the tone arm down on the record in one revolution of the record player. The platter was made of heavy cast metal, this was needed to keep up the momentum during such a fast cycle change. The slow change cycle models however, would do the same cycle in a more graceful two and a half revolutions of the record player. The platter was made of plastic making it lighter and more transportable.
"

everythingradio.com (Check the pics!)
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Why did Europe choose the small hole over the really big one with their 45s?
Posted: Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm

because they don't know how to party
Posted: May 15, 2010 8:46 pm | Edited by: Janderass

7"s with a different version than the LP are great!

Hate 7"s with the inner sleeve that only fits one way.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®