Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Anyone watch this yet? I thought it was pretty good... I cringed a little at the scene with Goodman ranting and raving up on the levy, but otherwise pretty solid. Nice to see Fran from the Corner too!
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 1:08 pm

I thought it was pretty great. Goodman looks like he is about to have a heart attack any second...
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 1:18 pm

that radio dj dude cracked me up. finally, a character i can relate to. great music in episode one, as well. hook and sling!
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 1:55 pm

caught the last 15 mintues of the funeral proscession in the sunday night episode and thought it was pretty cool. how many episodes have been broadcast? fuckin addicted to the pacific.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 2:08 pm

There are ten total episodes. Only the first one has been aired.

See the thread in the "New Orleans" section.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm

I liked it a lot. Think the story of the bar owners(Fran) brother could lead to some interesting sub-plots.

The music was great and it looked really good too.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm

FRAN!

haven't gotten to see it yet...

When's Bennett (Missing Monuments) in there?
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 3:36 pm

Paul Rotzz is in it too!

I tried to get Louie in it, to no avail. Still working on getting the One Man Band on Season 2. America needs to learn about the negative ramifications of cooking cabbage!
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Episode 5 supposedly...or cutting room floor
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 4:03 pm

No Louie, but the chef character says at one point, "no fucking Chinese crawfish in my kitchen! "
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 4:26 pm

That was a great line!
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Louie coulda been dialogue coach brah!

Kind bummed that Pelecanos is writing for this one though. Dennis Lehane, maybe. Dunno. Hope for the best.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

Who is Pelecanos? What has he written that has been a turkey?
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Totally thought of Louie when she said the bit about the Chinese crawfish. Posted on another gay-ass, Michigan State board I frequent that with Kermit we were just missing Louie, Quintron and Guitar Lighting Lee. Not that anybody on there knows who they are.

Pelecanos is pretty busy writing and producing The Pacific so I doubt he was even available if they wanted him.
Posted: Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Been watching ER on Netflix. Fran is on as Peter's sister. Threw me, fo shizzle.
Posted: Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Already renewed for a second season!
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 6:49 pm

So far it just doesn't seem real to me. Part of it's the shitty script and part of it is that none of the actors cast seem appropriate for their roles.
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 7:02 pm

They had a guy wearing a FINN MCCOOLS t-shirt in the last episode though!
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Yup. Don't dig it at all. They are trying to hard? I don't know
I can't really explain why at the moment.

The DJ dude/"musician" from Busom Buddies really bugs me.
He's such a douchebag. Do not plan on watching again.
Posted: Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm

pelecanos wrote some decent DC-based mysteries - King Suckerman should exist someday... i think puff daddy bought the rights to make it? - then quickly went down the shitter & became a parody of himself. He wrote for the Wire but I wouldn't trust him with the big Sleazy. But who knows.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 9:23 am

Yeah so that is not the guy from Busom Buddies it is the guy from Reality Bites but whatever. Put him in drag and they would look just alike.

Hmm, maybe that would help his performance on the show!
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 12:33 pm

I gotta say, after the subtle writing on the Wire, I'm kind of surprised by how overtly pedantic this show is shaping up to be. I'd hoped Goodman's rant on the levy in episode 1 was just excitable writers going overboard for a sec, but then the second episode, with the kids from Wisconsin being so cartoonish, and the comically heavy sighing and eye-rolling from the street musician guy about them never having heard about the 9th ward before and saints being extra and all that shit... bummed me out a little.

I guess one could make the argument that the writers are trying to point a finger at the idea of "convert's zeal," and how often, the most vocal defenders/ambassadors of a thing are outsiders who've adopted that thing and for some reason develop a misplaced sense of ownership about that thing, and do good by it despite not being the very thing they so desperately crave, i.e. an authentic part of that thing. But really it just seems like lazy writing.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 3:32 pm

the most vocal defenders/ambassadors of a thing are outsiders who've adopted that thing and for some reason develop a misplaced sense of ownership about that thing, and do good by it despite not being the very thing they so desperately crave, i.e. an authentic part of that thing.

New Orleans is overflowing with people that fit that description.
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Pure Bullshit
Posted: Apr 22, 2010 5:21 pm

It's a good excuse to hang out with your friends...

The show is ok so far, the benchmark for media representations of NOLA is pretty low.....let's see how it develops.....
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 3:59 pm

more representative than PORT OF CALL, or no?
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 4:05 pm

PORT OF CALL RULED!
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 4:28 pm

PORT OF CALL RULED!

Used to live a few blocks from that place. Many a drunken walk home. Is it still around?
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm

not the restaurant...
the movie!
burgers there suck.
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 5:42 pm

wrong thread!
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 12:43 am

PORT OF CALL RULED!

Seconded.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:27 am

you ain't talking about that hunk of shit bad lieutenent remake i hope. worst movie ever. i get the feeling people say they like it to trick people into renting it.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:34 am

you ain't talking about that hunk of shit bad lieutenent remake i hope. worst movie ever. i get the feeling people say they like it to trick people into renting it.

wrong.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:40 am

that movie is the cheapest thing i've ever seen. i know you're baiting me.

cheap production.

rotten cinematography.

lousy acting.

worst direction ever.

lemme guess... i just don't get it, right?

please explain to me how this movie was good.

maybe it got better after the hour mark, but that's when i took it out.

In a June 2008 interview with The Guardian, Abel Ferrara, who directed and co-wrote the original Bad Lieutenant (1992), said that finding out his movie was being remade was "a horrible feeling", "like when you get robbed", and that those involved in this remake "should all die in hell". He also wondered how Nicolas Cage "can even have the nerve to play Harvey Keitel", and called screenwriter William M. Finkelstein an idiot.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:11 am

you're fucking crazy. just saw it on friday night and loved it. yes there was a b-movie feel to it, but it was still fun as hell to watch. easily in the top five performances of nicolas cage's entire career, and I generally hate him.

I never saw the original one. neither did werner herzog. the original does not matter, it has nothing to do with this movie besides the name.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:15 am

and the plot i guess.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:41 am

I never saw the original one.

then shut the fuck up!
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:42 am

neither did werner herzog.

you believe that?
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:43 am

there was a b-movie feel to it

no, there was a tv movie feel to it.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:44 am

the original does not matter, it has nothing to do with this movie besides the name.

and the plot i guess.

that's called "remaking the movie."
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:46 am

and cage fucking SUCKED. that dude couldn't deliver a letter.

i thought he was aweseome in leaving las vegas. not the same guy.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:48 am

look, I don't know what you were expecting, but I was expecting to see nick cage do a lot of drugs, fuck some hookers, and mess with some criminals. and I was expecting a lot of cool location shots. it totally delivered on all fronts. end of story.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:51 am

that hooker scene was embarrassing.

watch the original.

was that bar with the "red beans" neon sign a real place? it looked stupid as fuck.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 2:08 pm

nicholas cage's best role, by far, is vampire's kiss:
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Fuck Nick Cage. Episode 3 of Treme was really good.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 10:32 pm

improvement.. the theme song is really starting to grate on me though.
Posted: Apr 25, 2010 11:47 pm

bad lieutenant (OG) is great. sleazy.

looking forward to Port Of Call.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 7:35 am

the theme song is really starting to grate on me though.

You're just jealous, cause Mid-city ain't "jammin' and havin' fun!"
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 8:23 am

looking forward to Port Of Call.

so was i. you probably won't last long with it.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 8:54 am | Edited by: Tommy Trouble

Port of Call no es bueno.

Ferrara version rocks. I liked his Bodysnatchers, too.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 9:03 am

Treme was much better last night. Bad Lieutenant was good, but I really like Herzog's twisted take on Port of Call. The iguanas were a nice touch.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 9:30 am

what was twisted about it? nick cage did coke like a 12 year old girl.
Posted: Apr 26, 2010 1:30 pm

nicholas cages' chest hair was amazing in valley girl.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Every white person in Treme aggravates the fuck outta me. Does anyone else see this? I just wait for the scenes with Lester and Bunk. I expected better from David Simon. How could his crew make such a character outta Baltimore and make New Orleans so cartoonish? Just because the characters think its not cool to play on Bourbon doesnt make the show real. I hope it pans out. My television standards are way too high. I hate settling for less...

And by the way, I have a DEATHWISH for Nicolas Cage, no excuses, and I LOVED Bad Lieutenant Port Of Call. And Ive seen Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant. Theyre 2 different movies. It doesnt seem like Herzog understands humor, drugs, cops, ghettos or New Orleans. And it makes it weird and surreal and hilarious.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 6:34 pm

shut up joe!
port of call rules...
its fun to watch...
especially the iguana scenes.

wait till PORT OF CALL 3: HARRISBURG.
oh wait that will never happen.
Posted: Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm

TREME still sucks.
Posted: Apr 30, 2010 3:11 am

i thought he was aweseome in leaving las vegas. not the same guy.

that movie was complete shithaus and mostly cause of his god awful "acting"

so I'll probably see Port of Call since it's Herzog and exploitation and Ferraira's gotten a little big for his britches and is just acting the bitch...he should have stuck to driller killer/ms 45...that Funeral movie was complete shithaus too
Posted: May 2, 2010 1:21 pm

Posted: May 2, 2010 9:33 pm

that midget can sing!
Posted: May 2, 2010 11:03 pm

Paul Rotzz is a fag! Jammin and havin fun!
Posted: May 2, 2010 11:05 pm

Just kidding. We cheered every time he was on the teevee. Even when he attempted to dance to funk music. Bennett was a very believable drug dealer.
Posted: May 2, 2010 11:58 pm

a STAR is born!
Posted: May 3, 2010 9:06 am

That would make a great 45.
Posted: May 3, 2010 5:22 pm

Smokin' the weed, dude.
Posted: May 4, 2010 1:18 pm

Katey Red's Fuck Katrina on this week's Treme, I believe. And other recognizables. Still hate white people, tho... Steve Zahn is a dunskis.
Posted: May 4, 2010 7:26 pm

As noted elsewhere, you pose hard dawg.
Posted: May 6, 2010 11:35 am

so I'll probably see Port of Call since it's Herzog and exploitation

I was wondering wtf was going on. I like Herzog and his films, but that was the worst film I've seen. At least now I realize it was intentionally bad.
Posted: May 6, 2010 3:33 pm

TREME still sucks.

the more I watch, the more I agree with Muscle.
Posted: May 6, 2010 5:46 pm

I like Herzog and his films, but that was the worst film I've seen. At least now I realize it was intentionally bad.

thank you.
Posted: May 9, 2010 10:37 pm

Fuck all yall. Treme is really good.
Posted: May 10, 2010 8:44 am

I keep waiting for it to be good, but it just puts me to sleep.
Posted: May 10, 2010 8:50 am

In a way, I don't ever want to see it. How can a tv show ever compete with reality? Seriously.

However, if i ever watch it I want to watch all of it in one sitting. I don't have the attention span to watch some show every week and be expected to remember what happened the week before.
Posted: May 10, 2010 9:04 am

I keep waiting for it to be good, but it just puts me to sleep.

Really? I thought last night's episode was great.
Posted: May 10, 2010 1:26 pm

just saw Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans yesterday. Enjoyed it immensely.
Posted: May 10, 2010 1:30 pm

just saw Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans yesterday. Enjoyed it immensely.
I want to see it. I love Werner Herzog.
Posted: May 10, 2010 4:08 pm

I totally cant make it through an entire epasode of treme. iv tried. i just cant follow it...too much talking.
Posted: May 10, 2010 5:08 pm

too much talking
not enough killing
Posted: May 10, 2010 6:55 pm

BOOOOOO!
Posted: May 11, 2010 2:34 pm

It took five weeks, but finally my prayers have been answered and someone punched Davis in the head!

Posted: May 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Im glad they give my friends jobs.
Posted: May 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Bad Lieutenant II is sooooo good
no way can this tv show be that great
Posted: Jun 7, 2010 8:53 pm

who was that playing piano in the horse mask on the latest episide? anyone we know? for some reason i thought it was quintron.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 2:42 am

who was that playing piano in the horse mask on the latest episide? anyone we know? for some reason i thought it was quintron.

According to HBO it's Tom McDermott, who is the pianist who in an earlier episode invited Annie to accompany him on fiddle at a gig.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 6:44 am

weird. i thought i saw that picture on facebook last week as someone's profile pic. de ja vu! musta just been a preview from two weeks ago.
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 1:42 pm

IM SO FAR GONE ON EVEN TRYING TO CATCH UP , I MIGHT AS WELL NOT EVEN TRY...
Posted: Jun 8, 2010 2:57 pm

I haven't watched any T.V. ever since remote controls got so complicated.

I can however recognize reg. def from High Def...and it seems like allot of people with fancy high def still watch regular def. because they forget or the channels are easier to find or something.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®